Focused Feedback: Toxic/Psionic Mitigation Changes

• Developer

Armor Set Toxic/Psionic Mitigation Changes

• Stalkers:
    • Hide now grants Psionic and Toxic defense.
  • Invulnerability:
    • Invincibility (Tanker/Brute/Scrapper) - This power now adds a 1.67% toxic and psionic defense for the first target, and 0.33% for additional targets (total 5% against 10 foes, Tanker values).
    • Invincible (Stalker) - Renamed from "Reinforced". This power now adds 2.5% toxic and psionic defense.
    • Invincible (Sentinel) - This power now adds 2.33% toxic and psionic defense.
    • Unyielding (all ATs) - This power now adds 5% psionic resistance (Tanker values)
    • Resist Energies (Tanker/Brute/Scrapper) - This power now adds psionic resistance.
    • Environmental Resistances (Stalker/Sentinel) - This power now adds psionic resistance.
    • Unstoppable (all ATs) - This power now adds 45% psionic resistance (Tanker values).
  • Ice Armor:
    • Wet Ice (all ATs) - This power now adds Psionic and Toxic defense.
    • Energy Absorption (all ATs) - This power now grants Psionic and Toxic defense. Up-front defense increased from 1% to 4.5%. Per-target defense reduced from 0.6% to 0.25% (Tanker values). Total Defense at 10x targets remain the same.
    • Moisture Absorption (Sentinel) - This power now grants Psionic and Toxic defense.
    • Permafrost (all ATs) - This power now grants 5% resistance against Smash/Lethal/Energy/Negative/Toxic/Psionic (Tanker values).
  • Energy Aura:
    • Power Armor (Sentinel) - This power now grants Psionic resistance.
    • Repelling Force (Sentinel) - This power now grants Toxic defense.
    • Energy Drain (all ATs) - This power now grants Toxic and Psionic defense.
    • Energy Protection (Brute/Scrapper) - This power now grants Psionic resistance.
    • Overload (all ATs) - This power now grants 33.75% toxic and psionic defense (Brute values).
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm a little surprised by this since Psi holes and the like have been around forever and even sometimes mix things up a bit.

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

• Developer
3 minutes ago, thunderforce said:

I'm a little surprised by this since Psi holes and the like have been around forever and even sometimes mix things up a bit.

The Psi Holes are still there, but they are now more "weakness" than being completely naked to the damage types. These types are still the most likely things to kill any of those sets.

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

1 hour ago, The Curator said:
  • Invulnerability:
    • Invincibility (Tanker/Brute/Scrapper) - This power now adds a 1.67% toxic and psionic defense for the first target, and 0.33% for additional targets (total 5% against 10 foes, Tanker values).
    • Invincible (Stalker) - Renamed from "Reinforced". This power now adds 2.5% toxic and psionic defense.
    • Invincible (Sentinel) - This power now adds 2.33% toxic and psionic defense.
    • Unyielding (all ATs) - This power now adds 5% psionic resistance (Tanker values)
    • Resist Energies (Tanker/Brute/Scrapper) - This power now adds psionic resistance.
    • Environmental Resistances (Stalker/Sentinel) - This power now adds psionic resistance.
    • Unstoppable (all ATs) - This power now adds 45% psionic resistance (Tanker values).

png-transparent-breakfast-cereal-reese-s

• Haha 10

So the sets that have good Psi protection don't get any buffs as well, that would help make them stand out in late game.  Sets like electric should get a bump up if other sets are now getting some psi protection.  At least give them some minor toxic protection like you have with these sets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On one hand, I'm aware that the game isn't balanced around IOs.

Otoh, with this change, my IO'd out Invuln tanker has like 75% psi resistance because I plugged that hole as best I could before, and now it's just silly!

I mean I guess I can open up the build and do a few different things without losing too much. Or I can keep it as is, because it's hilarious!

So, yeah, even though "the game isn't balanced around IOs", maybe keep them in mind when making changes like this?

Edited by EmperorSteele
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Numbers on Invuln could use a downward adjustment IMO.

Proliferate some of the love to other sets since Invuln is already regarded as very good despite the well-known Psi hole.  Stone Armor gets 0 Defense and 0 Resistance, outside of switching out of Granite and at that point it's not that much Defense and leaves you vulnerable to.. pretty much everything else.  Especially if the damage type change goes through.

Then again it's not supposed to be strong against Psionic, but this change just kinda comes out of left field so I'm not really sure.

WP and Elec definitely need some love though.  At that rate, give Dark a little extra too.  It's like the opposite of a slippery slope -  everyone should get a little nudge up at that hill.  Radiation's in pretty good shape but then when it already had Psi shouldn't it be noticeably stronger than Invuln when Invuln started with none?

15 hours ago, The Curator said:

Energy Drain (all ATs) - This power now grants Toxic and Psionic defense.

Not sure if intentional or not but this power is granting only the scaling defence per target for tox/psi and not the base value (tested on brute). This is the power analysis after hitting one target:

image.png.8b5f25aff47b8798776840365d6c4a94.png

The power description also reflects this so it may be deliberate or both may have been missed?

15 hours ago, The Curator said:

Wet Ice (all ATs) - This power now adds Psionic and Toxic defense.

This got me all excited that the amount of defence might be meaningful and we could campaign for wet ice to allow defence sets to be slotted but I see it's the same 1% (tanker value). Boo!

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2022 at 3:35 PM, thunderforce said:

13 hours ago, kingsmidgens said:

Numbers on Invuln could use a downward adjustment IMO.

Proliferate some of the love to other sets since Invuln is already regarded as very good despite the well-known Psi hole. 

Yeah, Invul is the crowd favorite and it did not need help.  Reading that made me wonder if someone plays as an Invul tank

On 7/12/2022 at 8:34 PM, Glacier Peak said:

Are Toxic and Psi resists added to Kheldian shields on the menu or...?

Actually looks like there is a healthy 22% psi res bonus on Quantum Shield for PBs. Maybe the in game description could get that added? Am I missing the WS equivalent?

Where are you seeing a psi res bonus on Quantum Shield, the beta server?

Edit: just respec'd a copied PB onto the beta server and Quantum shield still has no psi res like always. Would be great if it did.

Is there a particular reason psi resistance wasn't added to any part of the Luminous Aura set?

Edited by Dungeoness

@dungeoness and @eloora on Excelsior

<Federation of United Cosmic Knights>

1 hour ago, Dungeoness said:

Where are you seeing a psi res bonus on Quantum Shield, the beta server?

Edit: just respec'd a copied PB onto the beta server and Quantum shield still has no psi res like always. Would be great if it did.

Is there a particular reason psi resistance wasn't added to any part of the Luminous Aura set?

I didn't see it in the in-game description on the live or beta shards or in the Combat Attributes Window (in PvE), but I see it listed here:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=peacebringer_defensive.luminous_aura.quantum_shield&at=peacebringer

Looks like its PvP-tagged only Psi resists.

image.png.f345876371ced1be883318c48762c1ac.png

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

36 minutes ago, Dungeoness said:

The line featuring the psi res says PvP only. I don't think this thread is discussing PvP only power features, though I wasn't aware there was a difference since I never mess with that side of the game.

Also,

image.png.797848c2417fde13a2787bfd3236a09e.png

Good point! Let's advocate for it to be added in to PvE content! (Also for our WS brothers and sisters comparable shield!)

Edit:

Actually, WS's already have Toxic resists in their Penumbral Shield

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=warshade_defensive.umbral_aura.penumbral_shield&at=warshade

Maybe add the comparable for Psi resist to their shield (and mirror it to PBs comparably?)

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 7/12/2022 at 4:24 PM, nofx242 said:

So the sets that have good Psi protection don't get any buffs as well, that would help make them stand out in late game.  Sets like electric should get a bump up if other sets are now getting some psi protection.  At least give them some minor toxic protection like you have with these sets.

I agree that Electric should not be left with 0 toxic resist.  A small amount to bring it in line with Invuln's new psi resist (which was previously 0) would make sense.  Kheldians could use the same treatment as well.

Other than Fiery Aura, does anything else have 0 mitigation for a particular damage type?  I can understand why Fiery Aura was left alone because it has always traded survivability for damage.  And sure other sets could use buffs of their own but it doesn't look like that was the intent, given that the changes are confined to psi and toxic mitigation.  

• Unyielding (all ATs) - This power now adds 5% psionic resistance (Tanker values)
  • Resist Energies (Tanker/Brute/Scrapper) - This power now adds psionic resistance.

In think you should rethink this one where invuln thanks are concerned, just think is all, not saying change... I mean, I'm all for buffs, but does my invuln tank that has 71.5% psionic resist standing still need 5-7% more?

I get the tuning is centered around SO builds, so if this is truly necessary to make that hole on an SO build a bit more manageable, I'll survive with more awesomeness 😁😁😁😁🥧🥧🥧

Free cookies!

🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪

Edited by SwitchFade

The problem is other sets lack specific damage mitigating tools in exchange for the +PSI resist.

If you give sets like Invul and EA *everything* i.e. +HP, Invul +DEF, +RESIST, no PSI hole, Heal, etc. you now expose the other sets to their deficits.

+HP for example is native resistance to everything already by simply increase your health pool.

EA, Invul have it and other sets like ELEC don't.

I understand the premise behind this move as Invul has been lagging behind the newer, flashy sets like RAD, BIO, for a while. 

However I think you will have to continue the power creep to the other sets to fill in their deficits as well now.

Might want to start with /ELECT first with at least a +HP boost in some form perhaps?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Vanden said:

Stalkers don't get Energy Protection.

Kinetic Dampening is just Energy Protection, but renamed and with some extra energy, smashing and lethal resists since Stalkers have Disrupt instead of Dampening Field (itself a weird change to make up for them not having a -recharge aura on their version of Entropic Aura because of archaic design rules about stalkers). 

For all intents and purposes, it is their version of Energy Protection, and should thus get Psi Res for parity. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stalkers had Disrupt long before Entropic Aura got the recharge effect though. They've had it for as long as the set has existed, and been confusing people about why for just as long.

Regardless, the request for psi resist in Kibetic Dampening is a good one.

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

Oh right, good point. And looking back on it, they had Repulse originally, which. Is still confusing, since they could've just considered replacing Energy Cloak with Hide to be good enough and leave it at that...?

I give up trying to guess why anything on Stalker Energy Aura is the way it is. What a mess.

Edited by nyttyn