The Ignore Function

Seed22

3 minutes ago, Indystruck said:

It can be heartbreaking, but sometimes, even the worst person you know can make a good point.

Once upon a time, someone I really had a beef with said, "Man, I love coffee". My hands shook with the fury of a thousand quaking volcanoes, the rage in my heart boiled over like a pot of spaghetti noodles left unattended, and begrudgingly, I was driven - nay, FORCED - to respond with tears in my eyes, "Me too"

I haven't slept for more than an hour a night ever since. It's been 57 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, RunoKnows said:

Once upon a time, someone I really had a beef with said, "Man, I love coffee". My hands shook with the fury of a thousand quaking volcanoes, the rage in my heart boiled over like a pot of spaghetti noodles left unattended, and begrudgingly, I was driven - nay, FORCED - to respond with tears in my eyes, "Me too"

I haven't slept for more than an hour a night ever since. It's been 57 years.

08XcE7d.jpeg.c72a237c5d8d60931c7141bdd1486ca0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

5 minutes ago, Indystruck said:

It can be heartbreaking, but sometimes, even the worst person you know can make a good point.

And that's why I don't use the ignore function.

And you know what? I've found that sometimes people change their outlook and I start agreeing with them. Something that I would never have noticed if I'd taken the OP's advice and put many of you on my ignore list years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I guess this thread never took off. I only see the initial post. Yeah I have a few people on ignore.

J/K, I don't actually have anyone on ignore, but I've been tempted a couple of times, but I generally like dissenting opinions.

It would be interesting if on our forum profiles we could see how many people have us on ignore (don't need to see their names though). Reading this thread I wonder how many people I've pissed off over the years that they just said hell with you and hit the button.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Like 1

Yeah I've seen that too @PeregrineFalcon. I keep some folks on the list indefinitely. Others, I'll have on briefly, maybe a week or so. And then there's folks who I'd rather read that I don't agree with that can actually articulate coherent sentences. Those are the ones I'll pay my attention to when discussions occur.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I find myself checking the odd post from people I have on ignore just to check in and it's amazing how one note they tend to be. 'Yup, two years and umpteen updates later and xxx is still wanging on about exactly the same nonsense'. I think so far I've only taken one person back off ignore. They're in this thread actually.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Parabola said:

I find myself checking the odd post from people I have on ignore just to check in and it's amazing how one note they tend to be. 'Yup, two years and umpteen updates later and xxx is still wanging on about exactly the same nonsense'. I think so far I've only taken one person back off ignore. They're in this thread actually.

Most people will eventually come off my Ignore List but some few...there until the last star burns out and the universe is left cold and dark.

• Like 1

I put people on Ignore when I actually want to forget that they exist. It takes a lot to get me to that point, and very few people have ever managed to provoke that very specific desire.   They weren't forum trolls, or immature, they were genuinely creepy people, the kind that make you check your locks at night and think about using a VPN.  So yeah, self-care.  

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

I'd post a list, but I see no reason to stir the pot. Yes, I actively use global ignore in game, and on the forums. Whether or not it improves the game experience for me, and my engagement with the community on here is a whole other matter. I'm kind of not a heavy forum user, but I have stents where I jump into a thread on a topic I enjoy, or wish to discuss further, so to protect my own mental health and well being, I prefer to just ignore those that go out of their way to be an ass.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

As someone who shamelessly requests PLs on every chat. I’m probably the most ignored person in the game. I can’t agree with this post more. Please use the ignore option and stfu.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

6 hours ago, Chrono-Bot said:

God, it's so freeing to remember I'm here for fun and if something isn't fun, I can omit it from my experience. I moderate a large community elsewhere on the internet and I *have* to keep an eye on everything being said so sometimes I forget in other places I... don't have to do that. I can just go 'not today, Satan!'

So mean, all the people blaming Satan. He's always been the good guy. Try to give food and water to some moron in the desert, he refuses. Try to give humanity logic and rationality, they lose their shit.

I have no one on ignore here on the forums. I like to be reminded how useless and ignorant some people are and insist on being.

I know I have no dog in this pony show anymore but a habit once started is hard to break. Like smoking. Been doin a pack a day for 36 years. I know it's not good for me but I do it anyway cuz I like the planned obsolescence. No different than conversing with some of the people around here.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Loving the Praetoria vibes here. Ignore every dissident and just live in positivity - Enriche only.

You really think people who raise concerns or have opposing views prowl through these forums daily 24/7 have nothing better to do and are fueled by vitriol just to harass you or the Devs? Most of these "trolls" ARE passionate about the game and barring the occasional inflammatory posts (which people of both sides do indulge in).

Think just think. If more of "trolls" are showing up on the forums just to voice their dissent, please reflect on what has spurred this kind of opposition. Not just "Ooooh TROLLS HATE HOMECOMING AND DEVS, TROLLS BAD IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE!"

Edited by blue4333
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

So mean, all the people blaming Satan. He's always been the good guy. Try to give food and water to some moron in the desert, he refuses. Try to give humanity logic and rationality, they lose their shit.

mmm, he did offer to show me all the kingdoms of the world. I was pretty tempted... 

• Like 1

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

2 hours ago, blue4333 said:

You really think people who raise concerns or have opposing views prowl through these forums daily 24/7 have nothing better to do and are fueled by vitriol just to harass you or the Devs? Most of these "trolls" ARE passionate about the game and barring the occasional inflammatory posts (which people of both sides do indulge in).

Think just think. If more of "trolls" are showing up on the forums just to voice their dissent, please reflect on what has spurred this kind of opposition. Not just "Ooooh TROLLS HATE HOMECOMING AND DEVS, TROLLS BAD IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE!"

Did I miss a post about people being called trolls?

• Like 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

19 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

But ignoring people is no fun.

Not ignoring some of these people is definitely NOT FUN.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

19 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

J/K, I don't actually have anyone on ignore, but I've been tempted a couple of times, but I generally like dissenting opinions.

I do not put people on ignore for dissenting opinions. I put them on ignore for being jerks.

There is a certain, highly opinionated player (no, not @Snarky) who invariably has the most incorrect takes on things. But for all that he is invariably wrong, he is not a jerk and so I do not have him on ignore.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

Demeaning ("You're a fool") people for not wanting to see or engage with other people is bad. Just straight up bad. Nothing about this is "being a man."

Going to have to disagree...in context. 
As you wrote it - no issues. But as I wrote it, I stand by it. 

If a dozen people tell me I'm overly verbose, and I just put them on ignore so that I don't see or engage with them further - that makes me a fool. I'd be sticking my head in the sand and being a fool. But, if I take in the criticism, and try to be more concise and clear - that's growth. That's a good thing. Is that not the purpose of these debates? For us to learn? To teach?

It may be demeaning for some - but does that mean it isn't accurate? In some cases, it won't be. In the case of me being overly verbose - it is true. See? 5 lines. Not 600 lines of text. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4