Cones...what's wrong with them?

BazookaTwo

I seriously don't understand all the fuss about cones. I like cones. Cones in a build tell me "add range." and then "psst add some more range, go ahead, be a range junkie"

Big wide open cones means not having to worry so much about lining them up, I think. You can cue a lot of cones while kiting, and you jump past the mob, turn around, and the cone seems lined up fine. Kangaroo Cone action also works.... Jump up and cone, and hit more. Jump back and fire a cone, jump back in and fire a cone, all good. 

So what's the hard part I'm not seeing here? Do most players prefer to stand in one place and be a gun turret, or what?

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, BazookaTwo said:

So what's the hard part I'm not seeing here?

It requires a little more thought about your positioning, and some people just want to point and click.  Frankly, they don't bother me one bit, and I do in fact slot range enhancers, even going so far as to pick incarnates with even more range!

• Like 4

If cones didn't require locking onto a target, say like the way caltrops work, I could totally see it, but you can bind your way out of target-ring hell too. Conversely, I do hate those targeting rings.

Now I am wondering what I could build that uses as many of them as possible....🤔

I like cones.  But it was a looooong time learning to like them starting with Shadow Maul

Now my favorite Blasters have 4-6 cones.  The Corruptor I am in has 4.  Only one is a true damage cone. But the fear cone?   Gold.  Errrr Black Gold!

• Thumbs Up 1

Cones are great. Targeted cones are even better. But I get the frustration some have with them. Especially melee cones.

You've got five or six nice fat targets all lined up, and juuuuuust as you hit the attack, they all shift ever-so-slightly to the right and now only one of them is in the area of effect (which happens approximately 97.945% percent of the time according to my exhaustive and rigorous testing)... but because it's an attack that could theoretically hit multiple targets at once, it's balanced for that in terms of either increased animation time, a raised endurance cost, lower damage, or some combination of the three. The end result is that you've got a slow, expensive, weak, single-target attack.

Edited by Mjolnerd
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

21 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Melee cones are a PITA, but otherwise cones are fine. The only implementation that irks me is Darkness Control. Cones + PbAoEs means a lot of bouncing around, making it easy to miss critters in the cones. I find it an annoying set to play because of this.

Jousting is the key.   In and out if combat.  I prefer fly, which also fits thematically.  I understand some are really good at teleporting.  The real key is knowing what your cone will hit before you fire it.  That comes from a ton of practice and a prayer to the underworld your primary target doesnt blip 30 feet away and screw your AoE

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, pretty sure it's melee vs. cones here.  I have a Time Corr and what with Time's Juncture, you want to be in melee!  But then I paired it with Sonic, which you want to be something at range for the cones.  I can see that would annoy some folk.  I don't mind running back in and out of melee range for this stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, biostem said:

It requires a little more thought about your positioning, and some people just want to point and click.  Frankly, they don't bother me one bit, and I do in fact slot range enhancers, even going so far as to pick incarnates with even more range!

i think also it’s the frustration of being in a big mob, doing your best to line up a melee cone and then hitting… one… enemy

the rage is strong and lasting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On my main blaster, I actually really like the playstyle of always staying in position to line up my cone for greatest effectiveness.  I also am simultaneously side stepping and staying out of melee.  It's like a dance.  Overtime you find yourself moving the enemies as much as they're moving you.  It's both entrancing and effective.  

That said, on my toons that use a PBAoE or melee attacks, it's annoying to constantly hop out of the spawn to line up the cone, and the cone quickly becomes the least favored attack.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

37 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Starro…if you hadn’t destroyed the town they wouldn’t need to rebuild it

I destroy whole planets.   Destroying Towns  is just a hobby. 

• Haha 2

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up.