The powerset you'd love, but you know will never be implemented

SteelRat70

Vehicle movement such as a motorcycle or plane or car for us non powered vigilante types

web and or cable gun swinging  

make superspeed have a water run and vertical wall run as long as the pc is moving

Wind control would be neat

A random element to Hurl that would let you pick up and throw a random object such as a car or statue or such

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

5 hours ago, SteelRat70 said:

For me it'd be Guitar Blast.  Similar to Sonic Blast, but using an electric guitar instead of voice.

image.jpeg.1f5da60a623ffc20090c378d57c4468d.jpeg

Rock on oh ye of flaxen tresses.

The Viking God of Rock   VAL HALEN!

Edited by High_Beam
  • Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Psi Armor - A set to complement Psi-Melee, with bigger Psi/Smashing/Lethal, Medium Negative/Energy and low Cold/Fire/Toxic resists.

Wand Magic - A medium/short range attack set that uses one-handed Wands, possibly using a secondary Element aside Energy for additional effects which you can assign on each power. Changes the effects of the selected spell if you do. Mainly made for a allround 'magic' type of character who wants to be flexible.

5 hours ago, SteelRat70 said:

For me it'd be Guitar Blast.  Similar to Sonic Blast, but using an electric guitar instead of voice.

Titan Weapons Guitar when????

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

3 minutes ago, Paradox Fate said:

Psi Armor - A set to complement Psi-Melee, with bigger Psi/Smashing/Lethal, Medium Negative/Energy and low Cold/Fire/Toxic resists.

In theory at least, Willpower is supposed to be that because you're literally using the power of your mind to withstand damage. In practice not so much...

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

5 minutes ago, FupDup said:

In theory at least, Willpower is supposed to be that because you're literally using the power of your mind to withstand damage. In practice not so much...

It can be a defense or resist set with that idea, I went with the more instrusive 'sneaking into your mind' type instead of the straightforward 'popping heads with a twitch of the eye' variant.  

There are a few I would like that wouldnt be hard to implement really

Grenades - Specifically Hand Grenades as a secondary.  There are enough already in game where you could be kind of like trick/tactical arrow but use a different vector (shorter range to start with) and to be honest, lay into the KB/KD mechanism as a sell not a detriment.  Works for a Blaster, works for a Defender or Corruptor.

Whips or Fiery (or Energy) Lash - Take the Demons Mastermind power and work from there.  It really doesn't require a lot of deep thought.  So fun as a semi-short range blast set with a half lethal and half fire or maybe even something exotic like toxic to give it something unique.  But its whips man.  How can you not.  Give it some stylistic aspect as well akin to how DP was designed.  Sometimes style trumps substance and in this game any power works and it definitely isn't just a reskin of another power as you have to develop the moves for the 6 new powers at a minimum.  It's secksi and cool and . . . I want it.

Lucent energy - Leveraging some aspects of energy blast (sans the KB) adding a to-hit debuff or disorient because blinded by the light (queue Steve Miller).  Energy and fire damage (like say 75/25 or something like that).  You can take some from the Legacy Chain but also go original.  Or instead of a blast you make it a defense set leveraging the same to-hit debuff vectors but unlike say radiation or dark with the toggles they are flash shots, several different ones (theme), a heavily trending AoE support set largely in the debuff arena but I am sure someone could develop a few buffs (a target illuminator -def foe or +to hit ally) or like a built in team Build Up.

• Like 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I'd love to see 3 sets implemented:

1. A single pistol set focusing on stronger, more accurate and less flashy animations.

2. Building on the above, a combination single sword and single pistol set.

3. A variant of shield defense for sentinels, even if you'd have to restrict it to not working with AR/BR/Archery/DP.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

Tesseract/Worm Hole power set. Something along the lines of a hybrid melee/ranged thing. That guy across the room? Punch through a worm hole and have it pop out next to his head. Surrounded? Punch forward and make it pop out in multiple holes around you. Click a power and you get a target reticle on the floor that you can move to a group of enemies, then you stomp the floor and your stomp goes through the floor and come out at the target area, doing damage and knockup.

This is genius.  I can also imagine a control set version of this.  One of the powers would be a confuse power called "Cake".  Confusing, because of course, the cake is a lie.

3 hours ago, catsi563 said:

A random element to Hurl that would let you pick up and throw a random object such as a car or statue or such

This was one of the few things I liked about that-other-superhero-game-that-Cryptic Studios-made-that-shall-not-be-named.

It's just a shame that picking up a car and lobbing it at someones head didn't do a whole lot of damage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High_Beam said:

Whips or Fiery (or Energy) Lash - Take the Demons Mastermind power and work from there.  It really doesn't require a lot of deep thought.  So fun as a semi-short range blast set with a half lethal and half fire or maybe even something exotic like toxic to give it something unique.  But its whips man.  How can you not.  Give it some stylistic aspect as well akin to how DP was designed.  Sometimes style trumps substance and in this game any power works and it definitely isn't just a reskin of another power as you have to develop the moves for the 6 new powers at a minimum.  It's secksi and cool and . . . I want it.

Agreed, completely. Single Pistol / Whip blaster for an Indy-inspired character!  And it's definitely a shame that the whip primary hasn't been extended to it's own set beyond a few MM filler powers.

Energy Conversion, for lack of a better term. 

Think X-man Dazzler, who converts sound to light, X-Factor's former teammate Strong Guy, who absorbed energy and redirected it as powerful punches and kicks, or Marvel's Sebastian Shaw who absorbs kinetic energy of all kinds but can redirect it into his own attacks.

In a COH context this could be expressed as a character that can ramp up their attacks depending on how much energy surrounds them or targets them. For example:

• In solo play, the character would have weaker attacks if initiating fights, suggesting the idea of using the ambient sound in the room for energy. The character would gain stronger attacks when the enemy initiates attacks creating more sound.  The character creates very strong attacks when hit by the enemy, redirecting a notable portion of the energies into the character's own energy attacks (or energy shielding).  Any damaging attack to the character would suffer a degree of mitigation (due to the absorption and redirection of a portion of the energy), so the Energy Converter would be naturally a bit tanky.  An early ability gained would be to drop a sound-making device that delivers notable sound for a limited time, boosting their solo ability. Think sub-woofer, as an example. Such device would appear in a look/animation showing to the character's origin (one for tech/natural, one for science/mutation, and one for magic). 
  • In team play, there'd be the added opportunity for team effort.  The team could direct their energies at their Energy Conversion teammate who could then deliver powerful single-target blasts greater than any single character could, or diffuse for still potent AoE and cone attacks.

I'm kind of surprised that I've not read anything about a Speed Assault, or words to that effect.  It's definitely a power set I'd like to see, but its just not practical.  It would be hard to implement properly at anything that looked authentic to blazing speed.  Were it to be done at faster levels than speedy things we have now, it would be impossible to control.  Even if the player's hand-eye coordination were superb for such a task, you'd forever be running into problems with technology not keeping up: slow computers, network issues, etc.

Elastic Attack - this one I can actually see as doable, I actually sat down one time and looked at most of the current powers and attacks and found several that I thought could be reskinned to an elastic power set.  But the sad truth is, that would be a major redo on look and animation, so I just don't see it happening.  (May I eat my words someday).

2 hours ago, SteelRat70 said:

Agreed, completely. Single Pistol / Whip blaster for an Indy-inspired character!  And it's definitely a shame that the whip primary hasn't been extended to it's own set beyond a few MM filler powers.

The live devs (with all the tools to do this... more easily) mentioned that the work that went into just what MMs got was as much or more than an entire other set. (Not to mention issues with, say, ideas for whips grabbing/wrapping around targets.)

As far as sets... I agree with "non flashy single gun" (or even double. I mean, again, MMs, temp  powers...) but mine's not a powerset.

I want to see the Blood of the Black Stream EAT. (And associated storylines, baddies, etc.) But those are a ton of work. Especially since they were supposed to be shapeshifters, or at least conceptualized as shapeshifters.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

11 hours ago, SteelRat70 said:

Guitar blast / elec armour sentinel I would play for EVAR.

Tier9 nuke would be a PBAoE called "Power Chord" or maybe "Up to Eleven"

Power description would simply be:

"I did not mean
To blow your mind
But that s happens to me

All the tiiiiiimmme"

And now I think about it.. Domis!  Earth, Fire or Dark with Guitar Assault that combines the blasts and Guitar melee.. superbly thematic.  Any one of those characters that you got someone on deviant art to do a commission for could literally be the cover of a metal album.

Glorious.

Love and Death and an American Guitar Lyrics
Jim Steinman

"I remember everything
I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday
I was barely 17, and I once killed a boy with a fender guitar
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster
But I do remember that it had a heart of chrome
And a voice like a horny angel
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster
But I do remember
That it wasn't at all easy
It required the perfect combination of the right power-chords
And the precise angle from which to strike
The guitar bled for about a week afterward and the blood was-
Ooh...
Dark and rich like wild berries
The blood of the guitar was Chuck Berry red
The guitar bled for about a week afterward but it rung out beautifully
And I was able to play notes that I had never even heard before
So I took my guitar and I smashed it against the wall
I smashed it against the floor
I smashed it against the body of a varsity cheerleader
Smashed it against the hood of a car
Smashed it against a 1981-Harley Davidson
The Harley howled in pain, the guitar howled in heat
And I ran up the stairs to my parent's bedroom
Mommy and Daddy were sleeping in the moonlight
Slowly I opened the door, creeping in the shadows right up to the foot of their bed
I raised the guitar high above my head
And just as I was about to bring the guitar crashing down upon the center of the bed
My father woke up screaming
"Stop...wait a minute..stop it, boy
What do you think you're doing?
That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument"
And I said "God damn it, Daddy! You know I love you
But you got a hell of a lot to learn about rock and roll"

True fact, I had the first three lines as my answering machine greeting for a while.

• Like 1

More Ancillary Power Pools.

Force Fields. Give FF Armor to self-bubble, a containment field to keep mobs grouped together, etc.

Electric for Controllers and Dominators.

Maybe an Illusion APP.

You know, to keep with the themes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

14 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Bass Guitar model

This model will only be available for Carp Melee

• Haha 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

15 hours ago, SteelRat70 said:

Possible secondary would be "Guitar Melee" which would use the animations from WM or BA, but use a guitar as a weapon model.

yeah.

Both of these could be simply power customizations

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, SteelRat70 said:

I think I'd like a bit more... "theatre" with the guitar blast animations though.

but essentially the same powers?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.