What are you going to pair with Storm Blast when it goes live?

biostem

This topic isn't so much about the upcoming storm blast set itself, but what ATs and other set(s) you folks are considering pairing with it.  I've tested a few different combinations on Sentinels and Blasters on the Beta server, and so far I'm leaning toward rolling another Sentinel, but I want to try a few Defender builds out.  What are your thoughts/ideas?  Cheers!

• Like 1

Storm/Elec Sentinel. 

I was planning on an Elec/Elec Sent for a really long time as an evil primal counterpart to my first ever Sent (Elec/Energy, praetorian/hero), and I was making final preparations to roll it as my next toon...then I see that Storm Blast is gonna be a thing. The timing is too perfect. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

If they fix the jankiness of Storm Cell (or alternately, fix how janky the rest of the set is without it), then /Electric Sentinel is high on the list, as I've been doing testing with it and it feels like a nice, thematic pair.  Alternately, Storm/Storm Corruptor because I've been wanting to do a /Storm Corruptor for a while now.  Though I may do Water/Storm instead (since Water's looking really nice in the new update).

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, biostem said:

What are your thoughts/ideas?

I've not been in game this go around (moving/moved), but I might tweak my plans for a future Ice/Stone Sentinel into a Storm/Stone. It'll probably still be a while before I am setup here though, so someone should do that in the meantime. 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I'm thinking a Storm/TA Corruptor. I'm thinking Ice Arrow will help with the slight lack of ST effectiveness, and being able to completely shut down an area with storms and debuffs sounds really cool.

Not sure on a concept yet, but that's never stopped me! *peers at the growing list of alts around the corner*

Edited by Spaghetti Betty
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Storm Summoning has been high on my "must finally give a real try" list for a long, long while, so this seems like a sign that it's finally time. I'm debating whether to go with a defender or corruptor, but currently I think I'm leaning toward the corr.

• Thumbs Up 2

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

Storm/Storm is just one of those "too obvious" pairings for me, and genuinely doesn't interest me, personally, lol.

From my time spent in beta I am looking to roll:

Storm/Dark Corruptor - finally found a combo that fits my forum namesake in a way I like, and these two powersets have good synergy. And you don't have to wait until late game for it to start feeling good.

Storm/TA Blaster and/or Storm/Fire Blaster - TA for semi-obvious reasons; it keeps a more ranged playstyle and glue arrow will help keep things in Cell/Cat 5 while oil slick arrow provides extra AoE damage. /Fire started as something of a joke from the gold standard discord, but /Fire brings a lot of extra AoE (some of which is passive) that Storm Blast is lacking when Cell/Cat 5 might not be down/available. /Fire is less safe and quite squishy, but the potential seems interesting.

Storm/Elec Sentinel - I see this is becoming quite the popular combo, lol! This pairing is all about thematics for me and my brief testing of it seemed like it should play nice as well.

I can't decide if I'll make a defender, if I do, it will be team oriented as I'm currently trying to solo a defender in beta and it's miserable since you don't get Storm Cell until level 10. Plus, since Storm's gimmick is effects that ramp up, it really gives more benefit to corruptors since that's more of their style with Scourge.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

10 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Since it is possibly the worst Blast set I have ever seen I think the true pairing would be the worst secondary.  Then try to convince some idiot to run it as a “challenge”.  Oh, yeah.

Does that mean we'll see you on a Traps/Storm Defender soon?

• Haha 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Since it is possibly the worst Blast set I have ever seen I think the true pairing would be the worst secondary.  Then try to convince some idiot to run it as a “challenge”.  Oh, yeah.

So a storm/regen sentinel?  :classic_tongue:

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A nice Chianti and some fava beans.

Edited by cranebump
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

When I was informed of the new set by my mates, they figured I would be looking to remake one of my existing toons, in this case Vénus Bássie my Elect/Storm Corr so that the powerset being used would be closer to the concept of the character.

While this is not unfounded as I had done this quite a bit previously both here on HC and back on live, changing Mud Slide from Water/Dark Corr to Water/Stone Blaster, giving King Bishop Street Justice to make him different from Prince Bishop using Super Strength, giving my Siren character Symphony Control with Sonic Assault when it was released last year over just being Sonic/Pain, once I logged onto Beta to take a look at the set however my response was...

"Nah....not feeling like this fits the character enough to replace what I have"

Vénus Bássie wasn't ever a X-Men Storm Homage/Rip off, she was always meant to be more akin to Raiden from Mortal Kombat bringing Thunder Storms into battle specifically rather than all weather elements. So loosing that many lightning blasts, even as weak as Elect Blast is considered it would mean I lose a lot of what I envisioned for the character concept.

With that said, there is room for an alt version of the character. Right now I am eyeing the idea of making a Electric Affinity/Storm Blast Defender. Figure that I still have main version of Vénus who can be all out attack but then have a more support version if that is more needed in a Team. Means I also have a excuse to finally give Electric Affinity a go as I never had a concept before now to give the set a try.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, biostem said:

So a storm/regen sentinel?  :classic_tongue:

Storm Blast on a Sentinel.  For those times where you were thinking "I really like Sentinels, but they just clear the mobs too fast...."

Regen on a Sentinel.  Because concussions were a big part of your early life?

• Haha 5

I've been sitting on the name "Beaufort" on Everlasting for a while, trying and failing to put together something that clicks. So we'll see what I can do with this. Yeah Storm/Storm is obvious and kinda on-the-nose, but it might fit just fine. Dunno. I usually stay away from beta just so I don't end up tired of a set before it goes live.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

12 hours ago, Snarky said:

So... Storm/Regen Sentinel?

Whoops, looks like I'm late to this party...

Edited by Captain Fabulous
  • Haha 4

I'm... yeah. I'm just not really feeling Storm Blast on anything that actually needs to *do* something with its blast set... So maybe a Storm/Storm 'troller? Just because the blast set isn't all that important to its function?

Normally my instinct would be to go with a Sent for solo potential, but I think a Storm Blast Sent would be even slower than my Dark Sents, with pretty much none of the fun things Dark does to make up for being slower than proverbial Christmas. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

1 minute ago, biostem said:

Did you mean a Defender or Corruptor, because Controllers don't get blast sets...

Good catch... Defender was my thought.

(I'm working on a build for one of my Illusion Controllers this afternoon, so I've got 'trollers on the brain. 😝 ) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice