Power Changes Grant Respecs

Rudra

I know this is late, but I just today resumed playing my Psychic Blast Blaster since before the April 25th, Issue 27 page 6 update.

The change to Psionic Dart to make it Psionic Darts made my character illegal. Fortunately, the character is not required by the game to respec to fix that. Which was something I absolutely hated in CO. Unfortunately, I relied on that attack as one of my two single target draw out an enemy to me attacks at my still fairly low level (level 21). (Edit: I'm avoiding AoEs other than Psionic Tornado until much later in level.) So now I have to respec the character to fix it because of the power change to Blasters in that update. If you're going to change a power that drastically, both changing its tier and whether it is a ST or AoE attack, it would be really nice if you also granted characters using that power set a free respec to fix their characters. That one change is requiring me to completely rework my character. (Edit: The fact the replacement fast power is a sleep is also less than helpful.) I don't think an imposed character change awarding players a free respec is too much to ask for.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 3

That is a fair point. In this particular case, this character is too low level to do any of the respec trials since is only level 21 and has no accumulated respecs from leveling left to fix the problem. Which means characters like this have to buy a respec recipe at 1.5M inf' to fix an imposed change. Not a player chosen change, a game imposed change. Even gaining access to the Patron Pool powers grants the gaining character a respec. And that is a player choice.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add "characters like".

A free respec is given every 10 levels, so you would have had 2 on that character. It's kinda hard to use up both of them so early, but at least the first respec trial is only 3 levels away (24). 

Opening superpacks with a more established alt can also yield you some extra respecs that can be used by any of your other alts. 

Edited by FupDup

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

39 minutes ago, FupDup said:

A free respec is given every 10 levels, so you would have had 2 on that character. It's kinda hard to use up both of them so early, but at least the first respec trial is only 3 levels away (24). 

Opening superpacks with a more established alt can also yield you some extra respecs that can be used by any of your other alts. 

Kind of hard? Sure. Unlikely? Also sure. Except I can show you my character and if you can check, you would see that the character has 0 respecs. The first respec trial is only 3 levels away, yes, but since I run solo almost all the time and I don't farm my characters up, those 3 levels are slow in coming. So that is still 3 long levels away.

I get there are options to get the character the needed respec. I have alts that can buy the respec recipe for the character. I already gave that character over 4M inf' prior to sidelining the character for a few months. The character has already been respec'ed. The character no longer has Psionic Dart/Psionic Darts and will not be getting it. (And the character will still not be getting Dominate Will.) The character has the chain of ST attacks I prefer on my lower level characters, albeit slower than normal. That is not what I am trying to address. What I am trying to address is that if the game/devs are going to force a change on our characters, then it would be appreciated if they also provided the respec to fix those characters. That is all I am asking for.

Player changes their own powers? Get their own respec through available options. Devs force a change in the character's powers? Then a respec would be appreciated. That is all I am saying.

• Like 1

This is a good, common sense suggestion and there's no good reason to push back on it. It's just good business to grant respecs any time there's a power change.

The fact that they're widely available and therefore not a rarity by any means only lends to that argument. It's not upsetting the game/market balance to do this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rudra said:

characters like this have to buy a respec recipe at 1.5M inf'

Not pushing back on the idea of granting Respecs, just that 1.5m number seems overblown. Halloween Salvage is generally purchasable at 666 influence, and therefore, even with the cost of the recipe itself, you rarely need to spend much more than 300k for a respec.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

That 1.5M number was from today on the AH. There was 1 sale showing at 1M. 2 sales showing at 2M. And the rest showed at 1.5M. Edit: And that was recipe cost alone.

Edit again: Well, from yesterday actually now.... It was the current running cost at the time I posted the price.

Edited by Rudra

This seems like quite a reasonable request. If you still need a respec, I have several recipes gathering dust and would be happy to email you one. My global is the same as my forum handle so just send me an in-game email and I'll reply with the recipe.

• Thanks 1

I am Marbing and I approve this message.

Edited by Marbing
Joking aside, I agree with the OP
  • Thumbs Up 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Gear Fox (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Brainwasher (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute)

4 hours ago, JasperStone said:

This makes sense.

Since I don't have this AT and power-set in my roster, what makes it illegal? Just curious

When I made the character, the power was called Psionic Dart and it was the T1 power. After that update, it became a cone attack and was moved to the T4 position. I started at level 1 using Psionic Dart. There is no way to make a Psychic Blast Blaster any more and start with Psionic Darts as your level 1 power. That is what makes the character illegal. Fortunately, City of Heroes does not flag the character as being illegal and require it to be fixed. Legacy builds, at least as far as this character went, can still be played as they were built prior to any power shuffling and changes. However, it can no longer be made in this order.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be for it just because, if nothing else, it was common practice on live. It just makes sense that if the game's changing a power (or rejuggling a power set or pool,) a respec's attached.

(Worst comes to worst, in @Rudra s case,  assuming you don't have sets started and just have commons... there's always the second build you get at 10.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.