Your most fun Hero!

StriderIV

Hi heroes!

I thought this would be fun. I know we’re often looking to min/max our heroes/villians (I’m guilty of this). Outside of that though, what is your most FUN character you’ve made? They one you can come back to and always know it’s going to be a good time.

I feel like a lot of things can impact the “fun” of a character for you. Gameplay/playstyle, background story you’ve created, nostalgia, etc. For me currently, my most “fun per click” hero has to be Storm Aegis, my Shield/Elec Tanker

I know some people will say it’s a more optimal pairing on a Stalker, but it just FEELS like a Tanker combo to me. Between Lightning Rod and Shield Charge, I feel like my team always knows where to follow when I’m lead tanking with Storm. His ST is nothing to write home about, and he isn’t a min/max combo, but I feel like there is very little in the game he can’t do. Plus, you just feel like a true God fighting every mob 😂

I used @Infinitum’s build as a base and made some slight adjustments with input from @Hyperstrike. He is the Hero I always come back to.

How about you all? I’d love to hear some of your favorites, regardless of archetype!

Edited by StriderIV
  • Like 5

• StriderIV changed the title to Your most fun Hero!

Poison/Fire/Psi defender:

It is very snappy to play and every victory (and defeat) feels like it was within my control to change the outcome. It almost never feels overpowered because it always walks the line of survivability vs offense, yet it has solo'd (no temps/insp/amps/lore) many AV's/GM's/TF's.

I think because I embraced the set mechanics and tried to build around them rather than the cookie cutter approach of ranged softcap+hover so many squishies utilize making their primary and secondary more of an aesthetic choice than integral to play*

*I'm guilty of doing this on other builds too of course, and it ends up not being as fun.

Illusion/Cold/Stone:

Similar to the defender I leaned in to the mechanics and synergy of the combo and didn't worry about complying with the prevailing wisdom. The power of that build is unlike anything else I've seen.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Frosticus said:

Poison/Fire/Psi defender:

It is very snappy to play and every victory (and defeat) feels like it was within my control to change the outcome. It almost never feels overpowered because it always walks the line of survivability vs offense, yet it has solo'd (no temps/insp/amps/lore) many AV's/GM's/TF's.

I think because I embraced the set mechanics and tried to build around them rather than the cookie cutter approach of ranged softcap+hover so many squishies utilize making their primary and secondary more of an aesthetic choice than integral to play*

*I'm guilty of doing this on other builds too of course, and it ends up not being as fun.

Illusion/Cold/Stone:

Similar to the defender I leaned in to the mechanics and synergy of the combo and didn't worry about complying with the prevailing wisdom. The power of that build is unlike anything else I've seen.

Poison/Fire/Psi is so original!

I hear that Ill/Cold and Ill/Dark Controllers can do obscene things.

Necro/dark MM. it was the character with whom I first experienced the game. My bars are set up essentially the same as they were however many years ago, feeling comfortable in the muscle memory. It can do it anything the game throws at it (except have not figured out how to manage the new massive difficulty TFs). But not too bothered - I mainly solo, but specially on MMs. My pace, my kill-all (it’s always a kill-all) - a habit developed from the original City of Villains structure. Also, I spent more time tinkering with builds, trying different configurations, even to the point of running multiple builds back on Live.

When the game shut down, I forgot most of my other characters as the years flipped by like a faded Rolodex. But always remembered the original costume, the story/biography, and the final build. For a while, I would dream of editing the build in Mids. Being able to level her again on Homecoming was a hard, joyful experience. 

I don’t play her as much now, maybe once every 2-3 weeks. But this character is like a favorite pair of jeans and the softest t-shirt with a faded band logo from a show seen long ago. 

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

3 hours ago, StriderIV said:

Hi heroes!

I thought this would be fun. I know we’re often looking to min/max our heroes/villians (I’m guilty of this). Outside of that though, what is your most FUN character you’ve made? They one you can come back to and always know it’s going to be a good time.

I feel like a lot of things can impact the “fun” of a character for you. Gameplay/playstyle, background story you’ve created, nostalgia, etc. For me currently, my most “fun per click” hero has to be Storm Aegis, my Shield/Elec Tanker

I know some people will say it’s a more optimal pairing on a Stalker, but it just FEELS like a Tanker combo to me. Between Lightning Rod and Shield Charge, I feel like my team always knows where to follow when I’m lead tanking with Storm. His ST is nothing to write home about, and he isn’t a min/max combo, but I feel like there is very little in the game he can’t do. Plus, you just feel like a true God fighting every mob 😂

I used @Infinitum’s build as a base and made some slight adjustments with input from @Hyperstrike. He is the Hero I always come back to.

How about you all? I’d love to hear some of your favorites, regardless of archetype!

This is easily my Staff/EA Stalker - dude fights like a Minbari or a Ranger

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

So I'm running a Staff/Stone right now and I have to say... this is quickly becoming  one of my all time faves. It's Dragoon themed and Staff is just perfect for it.

I'm curious though: What attack chain do you typically use? I'm a bit at a loss for it. I want to make sure I leverage the combo system for it's bonuses, but not sure how I should attack out of hide!

6 hours ago, Infinitum said:

My second most used Tanker after the aforementioned Shield/Elec is my Dark/Staff… Staff Fighting is just FUN to me haha. It also has a pretty nice synergy with Dark Armor! Thing is resist capped across the board and has a nice layer of defense on top of it. Not to mention that HEAL.

I'm still on my Spines/Stone Brute. He's a Dwarf, and a Battlerager. He has enough end to constantly Ninja Run, and Ripper's backflip suddenly makes perfect sense. All I have to press are keys 1-5 and sometimes my keybind for Earth's Embrace, or sometimes click a Destiny power, to keep on flailing, slashing, and thrashing. I gotta make a post just for him sometime. 

• Like 1

This can change any day of the week for me, but lately it's been my official main - a Stj/Rad Scrapper. And I'm glad, too, because, official main. Find Spaghetti Betty!

I remember tinkering with a build for someone, I forget who at this point, but I got curious enough to tweak it for my own use. Now I have a nuclear warhead of a Scrapper that can deal around 3k in ST burst dmg with optimal conditions and its sustained dmg isn't too far behind that. Completely flattening a +4 boss will never get old.

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

It's often my bio/fire tank, but I do jump around onto my other chars a lot.  fire/time blaster, inv/axe tank, rad/regen sentinal seem to get the most play lately, and I go back to my Dual Blade/WP scrapper too

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 7:55 PM, BuiltDifferent5 said:

So I'm running a Staff/Stone right now and I have to say... this is quickly becoming  one of my all time faves. It's Dragoon themed and Staff is just perfect for it.

I'm curious though: What attack chain do you typically use? I'm a bit at a loss for it. I want to make sure I leverage the combo system for it's bonuses, but not sure how I should attack out of hide!

There is probably a better attack chain in terms of numbers, bit mine is based off aesthetics. 

It reminds me of how the minbari and the Rangers fought on B5 which is one of my all time favorite shows. 

I will send the chain when I get home from work, but it's very fluid and eye pleasing. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Infinitum said:

There is probably a better attack chain in terms of numbers, bit mine is based off aesthetics. 

It reminds me of how the minbari and the Rangers fought on B5 which is one of my all time favorite shows. 

I will send the chain when I get home from work, but it's very fluid and eye pleasing. 

Sounds great, appreciate it!

Psionic Melee/Electric Armor/Soul Mastery Scrapper. The concept was of a Primal Earth hero who is essentially an Awakened Mindstorm. Due to her refusal to stop using her powers to help others, she's slowly losing physical form and becoming a living storm of psionic energy (an Immanence, in other words). I initially used Power Surge for the effect (the crash even fits thematically!), but it's become an emergencies only thing now that I've managed to get Shadow Meld down to 30 seconds of recharge with haste. She spends about half her time incorporeal now, which is good enough for me.

Swinging psi blades around has been fun, and she still does pretty well despite the mistakes I made slotting her build. 

• Like 3

Goto for fun times is usually mercs/time mm but lately i've been playing an ill/poison pretty much non-stop (at least til it died attempting a solo lrsf at Valkyrie/Swan/Mynx/Lumi) I love ill trolls /dark and /cold used to be my favourites for a long time but /poison has 0 set up time and just has a great 'feel' to it and makes for an unusual pairing i rarely see but just works so well together. Its not mini maxed by a long shot, i'm sure it would be better if it had perma PA, doesn't have anywhere near softcapped defence/resistance to anything and yet it just works and turned into one of my favourite characters. It was a surprise to me how well it could solo tough stuff even exemped down without venemous gas or Phantom Army. So much of the game is played flat out at max speed by teams its rough on mm's and trollers but this combo is awesome for speeding/kill alls/solo play, it just doesn't seem to have a downside.

I have a lot of characters and try to cycle through them regularly and they all deliver unto me a degree of fun (otherwise I would just delete them) but there are a few that I always go back to even though they are level 50 and the amount of content they haven't done is dwindling.

Runeslinger is a DP/Atomic Blaster who my badger so there is always an interesting dynami going on.  She isnt as srong as my other two DP Blacsters but becuase of that there is more action.  Di Di Guns is my DP/MC Blaster and is super crazy fun to play and I tend to RP a little with her as well adding to the fast and frantic fun.  Probably my favorite still as she was my first 50 on HC.  As a bonus (for ego sake) I get a lot of positive feedback on how she fights.

But recently the one that has become a blast to play because of the absolute frantic battle style is Boom Boom Britta, my DP/Kin Corruptor.  OMG the sheer volume of SCOURGE alerts alone in a fight makes me tingly.  Its like a superball with guns.  Very fun.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I really love my Fortunata. I went control-heavy, but a big part of her control power comes from  having an AoE nuke up for every single spawn and being able to double up on hold and confuse. It's not quite a tank mage, but she does have great defense and permahasten on top of solid ranged attacks and a lot of control options. She's maybe the most well rounded character I've ever made. What she does can be hard to notice in a big group, but she's providing aggro management, ranged offense and solid buffs. It's kind of a dream package.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later

This is what I use my sig for. I might put the first two as 1A and 1B. I liked Claws/ea enough to where I got the Brute version to 34 already.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I'm rotating through 30 toons right now.  Most are semi-retired that I try to get to a couple times a month.  The most fun is Kiasma, dark/martial/soul blapper.  I love being on the edge, one miss, one hold, one stun, or one sleep away from complete tragedy, not for just me, but the entire team.  I love having somebody in the PUG say that blasters can't tank, but at the end of the run they apologize and say they was wrong.

• Like 1

A Bots/Traps/Mu MM, it's what i came back to the live game for after having originally left heroes over ED/GDN & other nerfs. It was my 1st of like 5 post return 50s & my 2nd 50 overall, one of very few fully recreated toons I took from live to HC the other to hit 50 in both is a Time/Sonic/Sorcery/Soul Def

• Like 1

At this point, the character I'm playing the most at 50 is Stone Hands McGee, stone/rad/soul scrapper.  I'm currently (slowly) taking him through all Made content in Ouro at +4/x8 using only passive incarnates.  Not immortal by any stretch, but probably my tightest build in terms of managing offense and defense/other mitigation.

Stone -- lots of high damage, lots of AoE knockdown (with a few FF +recharge I don't need Speed as a power pool).

Radiation -- extra AoE, lots of debuff, two heals, and an "ok" oh shit button in Meltdown

Leaping (Combat jumping); Fighting (Kick, Tough, Weave); Experimentation (Experimental Injection, Speed of Sound, Adrenal Boost)

Soul -- always feels like a cop-out, but Moonbeam and Shadow Meld are really nice in this build.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 5/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, StriderIV said:

what is your most FUN character you’ve made?

No idea.

I made all 100+ of them to be fun. 

Some maybe less fun than others. Some may seem a bit tedious at times, but there is no way that I could pick out one or even one archetype as the most fun.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.