When mission writers just plain give up

cranebump

Getting close to finale on Janet Kellum arc. Time to take out:

image.png.c0eaa0ee5beac6699e0296c6c6bf148b.png

...riiiiiiiight...

(This is where you need the option to nuke the place from orbit)

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

This one was about 40% break, the rest regular glowies.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

This was a consequence, I think of the fact that the OG devs used Excel as their mission editor for years at a time. It was easier to simply copy and paste a line in a CSV spreadsheet than it is to hand-craft each mission objective. When you're pressed to 'get 90 missions out the door in time for release', you're going to opt for the former every time.

• Like 1

This entire arc needs a Vigilante branch, and this mission in particular needs a "Blow up the warehouse with Janet Kellum, the lying double agent who framed Countess Crey and is working for Malta, locked inside" option.

Just a thought.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, cranebump said:

...riiiiiiiight...

Lol, I just did that one the other day. I think I had way fewer to take care of than that though. Or I'm misremembering. What's weird too is that some are clickies and some are destroyable objects. They are also strangely durable for a bunch of CD's. 

Upside to the whole thing: 52 merits upon completion (and some sparring with Ms. Crey herself). And there was a Kraken team recruiting right next to mish door, so I picked that up, as well. Yippee!

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Almost as bad are all the Unai missions requiring you to close 20 dimensional ruptures.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Maxwell Anderson sez:

image.png.85812922222ec49701efb021c2bf413d.png

Man...Crey and Nem sure are, um...thorough.

Then again, a bit inefficient. 16 pieces to destroy. Maybe I should wait til they build it, then just before they activate it...

(sigh) Okay, no nuke from orbit. The only way to be sure is to eat the cake one forkfull at a time.

P.S. My favorite part of this arc was when I zoned in through a lab door, saw a group of Nemies, popped my Mutations power and turned into a monkey...just as those long ranger dudes spotted me and opened fire...that was boss...:-)

Edited by cranebump

19 hours ago, cranebump said:

...riiiiiiiight...

Which is fully possible if you do some work in Warburg 😹

• Haha 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

9 hours ago, Uun said:

lmost as bad are all the Unai missions requiring you to close 20 dimensional ruptures.

That was basically endgame in the very early issues. That and endlessly farming the warwolf map.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

There has always been some really sloppy writing in this game. Some of it is (and remains) truly dire.

But that's true of almost any game, and there are very few that have truly outstanding content from start to finish.

But rather than focus on the dross it's important to remind ourselves of the truly excellent content this game offers, some of which is as good as any I've encountered in any game, anywhere... and I've been gaming since I bought my Spectrum 48k so that gives you some indication of what I've tasted.

When the game launched there was a need to take time out of the game to disguise the lack of content. Remember running everywhere before we'd got travel powers, or hovering across the Hollows to avoid their pitfalls? Having to run back to Atlas from the Hollows to level or hospital.

It's the same thing...

and if that doesn't satisfy you, ask yourself two things: Why do you keep playing this game and if you weren't playing that mission, what else would you be doing?

Don't worry about it - you have a very special gift right here and you can always go play different content once you've clicked those glowies!

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

9 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

Rescue 52 lawyers from the Circle of Thorns...

All of the 'rescue the law firm from the Devouring Earth' missions (I think from Ginger Yates on the east side of FF) always leave me conflicted — on the one hand, you've got unprincipled, vicious monsters, and on the other hand, you've got the Devouring Earth...

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, srmalloy said:

All of the 'rescue the law firm from the Devouring Earth' missions (I think from Ginger Yates on the east side of FF) always leave me conflicted — on the one hand, you've got unprincipled, vicious monsters, and on the other hand, you've got the Devouring Earth...

What's the difference between a lawyer and a shark? One is a pitiless monster that will eat you alive and the other is a fish.

• Haha 2

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 12/2/2023 at 2:40 PM, Gulbasaur said:

That was basically endgame in the very early issues. That and endlessly farming the warwolf map.

Yeah, I understand that "here's a really big farm to get you from 47th level to 48th" was the plan for those.  These days when I join a PUG and walk out onto those maps, I just sigh heavily.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 12/2/2023 at 8:12 PM, Uun said:

What's the difference between a lawyer and a shark? One is a pitiless monster that will eat you alive and the other is a fish.

I thought it was, "What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish?  One is a scum-sucking bottom-dweller and the other is a fish."

• Haha 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

8 hours ago, Icono04 said:

Wait, what? Which story arc is this in? I must have totally missed it. 

I didn't catch any connection between Kellum and Malta in her arc, but...I did get jumped by them . More than once. I also got ambushed by Nemesis, as well, so...best I can figure, Kellum's information security protocols are, em, less than airtight. I haven't played her second arc yet, though, so...maybe something there?

Edited by cranebump