City Mod Installer (Released)

• City Council
1 minute ago, megaericzero said:

I uploaded a mod through the site and it's showing up in mod installer but with a blank name. Did I do something wrong? Its name appears on the site itself.

image.jpeg.8616417036b1a3f8a678ecd52359927f.jpeg

I swapped the ampersand in your mod name with "and" and it shows up.  This is already fixed in a partial rewrite I'm working on but it's not ready for release yet.

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2022 at 5:51 PM, Michiyo said:

I know someone mentioned they got it working in Linux, which should in theory be similar... The only "Mac" I have is a Hackintosh that I hate messing with, so not going to be a lot of help.

Sorry to necro a post in a living thread, but I can offer some baseline suggestions for running this on Mac.

I can get it to run in Wine Stable version 8 and newer, with some considerations. 

I'm assuming the following:

• You have not installed Wine or any other apps using Wine other than City of Heroes (which uses a portable installation: if this doesn't work, wiping out Wine in Homebrew and removing the helper apps with it won't phase it.) CoH Modding Tool is only going to change physical files in the client, so it doesn't need to be in the same "prefix" as City of Heroes, as you'll see below, it doesn't even have to use the same copy of Wine. 

If you do use Wine on Mac for other games, more than this will be needed concerning managing your Wine Prefixes correctly.  (Best practice of Wine is not to use the same Wine Prefix for running multiple apps.  That way a software failure doesn't impact other apps that you run.)

• I'm also using MacOS Sonoma, older MacOS installs may vary.

Tips below.  Only offering tips, and not a step-by-step guide, because I'm not equipped or have enough time on my hands to be on-call Tech Support for Mac users.  No guarantees or promises.

Spoiler
  1. I would NOT use the Wine that comes with Island Rum/LaunchCat.  Nothing wrong with it, but it's going to be optimized to run City of Heroes, so there's no .NET support in it.  Either you'd modify the copy which would be replaced when LaunchCat has an update for Wine, or do what I did... and leave it be.  Instead use Homebrew (brew.sh) and install Wine that way (brew install wine-stable).  Wasteful to have two copies of Wine?  Which would you rather have: the app working right now, or waiting for someone to do it for you?

2. A little game of leapfrog: Once Wine is installed, use Homebrew to install Winetricks (brew install winetricks).  Then Winetricks can install .NET 6 (winetricks dlls dotnet6), which will be able to run CoH Modding Tool.  All of this on the default Wineprefix of .wine in your user directory: that way, it's click to start. (See assumptions above.)

3. Install the CoH Modding Tool in any folder you like on your User account.  (/Users/YOURUSERNAME/CMT for example.) Run the app.  MacOS will throw permission prompts when you run this for the first time, so be prepared to head to Settings and manually approve the app to run.

4. When CoH Modding Tool runs for the first time and asks for a location, use the same one as the Homecoming Launcher: Z:/Applications/coh.

(This is a feature in Wine:  The C Drive points to the Wine Prefix install locations, where the Z Drive points to the entire MacOS hard disk, so the path /Applications/coh is valid once LaunchCat is installed.)

You're not going to be able to add the app to Launchpad or the Dock without Apple magic involved, so navigating to where you unpacked the app and running it manually in Finder is likely the best bet you'll have.  The Dock will keep "wine preloader" as an Icon that does nothing.  Launchpad will straight out deny it. 

Finally, remember Brian Krebs' Three Rules for Internet Safety.  This means you'll be babysitting Wine, Winetricks, Homebrew and .NET for regular updates on your own.  If this doesn't sound like a good time, I'd suggest finding another answer.  With this answer, if you do screw it up (and don't use Wine for anything else), hitting eject is easy:  use Brew to remove Wine, Winetricks, and delete the folder you installed CoH Modding Tool.  Done.  (Want to start over?  Use Homebrew to wipe Wine and Winetricks out, not just remove it.  All in the user guide.)

And like Michiyo said, app support outside of Windows is on your own.

Edited by uninventive

Apparently once you set a signature, you cannot blank it.

• 4 weeks later

Thank you so very much for the link to the City Mod Installer, that made things sooooo much easier for getting the updated vidiotmaps patches installed, greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I don't Suffer from Insanity . . . I Enjoy every minute of IT! 🤪

People Around me get to SUFFER! 😼

• City Council

Thanks to the efforts of @Manga The Mac Guru, I'm happy to announce a release of the mod installer for Macs.

https://mods.cityofheroes.dev/link.php?id=2

Unzip the zip, put the "CityModInstaller" folder in your "Applications" folder, then run the "CoH Modding Tool" script (Not the "CoHModdingTool.exe" file)  This will likely take a bit to install its prerequisite, then it should launch the Mod Installer for you.  Click "Add to Launcher" and select "HC Launcher".

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

edit: issue resolved itself after several days.

Not sure where to report this, but after attempting to update the Badge Set List popmenu I'm seeing the following:

image.png.754db728946fdc92af65a7ec81e972a4.png

Edited by AnneDroid
Issue reported is auto-resolved so made sure people don't spin wheels on a resolved issue

17 hours ago, AnneDroid said:

Not sure where to report this, but after attempting to update the Badge Set List popmenu I'm seeing the following:

I verified that the MD5 hash of the version I downloaded from the City Mod Installer matches the MD5 hash of my original mod pigg. It is highly likely that this is a download issue on your end.

1 hour ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I verified that the MD5 hash of the version I downloaded from the City Mod Installer matches the MD5 hash of my original mod pigg. It is highly likely that this is a download issue on your end.

It persisted for several days but finally resolved this morning with no issue on my end.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 9:36 AM, Michiyo said:

Hello All!

Hey Michiyo. I love the modding tool and I'm really happy with how the system works.

I'm worried that if something were to happen to you, heaven forbid, then we'd lose the whole modding system.

Is there a backup/backup plan? 

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Posted (edited)

Hope this is the right forum for this. I have the following three MNU files under my \Homecoming\data\Texts\English\Menus folder:

BadgeList.mnu (from 2021),  Transport.mnu (from 2021),  PetSummons.mnu (from 2023). 

I'm not seeing updates for these. Am I just searching for the wrong names? 

Appreciate any guidance.

Edited by SuperBear
can't count... lol

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SuperBear said:

BadgeList.mnu (from 2021)

I am fairly certain that this one is the alphabetic badge list popmenu at this link, which unfortunately doesn't appear to have been updated since Issue 27, page 6 (the post at this link is the latest I could find). It doesn't appear to be available in City Mod Installer but I might have overlooked it.

The PetSummons.mnu appears to be the mod at this link. There are only two posts in that thread, one from the original mod author in 2022, and one from someone who apparently modified the original author's work and published an update as their own in 2023. Based on your info, I assume you have the latter. Both the original 2022 version (at this link) and the modified 2023 version (at this link) appear to be available in City Mod Installer, but I am not familiar with that mod at all so I might be looking at the wrong thing. At any rate, I don't see any updates newer than the one you already have.

The transport menu isn't familiar to me and a cursory search didn't turn up anything so I am afraid I can't be much help with that one.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
found a more recent alpha badge list version

Hey, thanks for looking into this and the links.

Messed around  more with the transport.mnu, and it appears to be links to bases, and links to powers like Team Transport, Mission TP, etc.

image.png.452a1f25ca1ed6a29999670a8a937694.png

The badgelist.mnu is an alphabetical badge list, but we already have that built into the badgesetlist.mnu it looks like.

12 minutes ago, SuperBear said:

The badgelist.mnu is an alphabetical badge list, but we already have that built into the badgesetlist.mnu it looks like.

Essentially, yes, with some strong caveats. BadgeSetList is mine, and while I did originally create it as an offshoot of (among others) the alphabetical badge list menu 4+ years ago, even back then I made substantial formatting/content changes that resulted in the two menus bearing only a passing resemblance. So if you are hoping to get an exact 1:1 replication of the content of badgelist.mnu in my badgesetlist.mnu, you may be disappointed.

Also, I was wrong about the last updated version of badgelist.mnu. If you take a look at the post at this link, it has a more recent update from 2023.

3 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Essentially, yes, with some strong caveats. BadgeSetList is mine, and while I did originally create it as an offshoot of (among others) the alphabetical badge list menu 4+ years ago, even back then I made substantial formatting/content changes that resulted in the two menus bearing only a passing resemblance. So if you are hoping to get an exact 1:1 replication of the content of badgelist.mnu in my badgesetlist.mnu, you may be disappointed.

Also, I was wrong about the last updated version of badgelist.mnu. If you take a look at the post at this link, it has a more recent update from 2023.

OH, I didn't know that was yours. Apologies, no offense intended.

Actually right now I'm pretty content using BadgeSetList, PetSummons, and FastTravel. 

May play with other menus at some point. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SuperBear said:

Apologies, no offense intended.

No worries, I didn't take offense. I just wanted to make sure it was clear that, despite some surface similarities, there are differences in my menu that you may or may not find appealing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• City Council
On 5/7/2024 at 12:12 PM, Herotu said:

Hey Michiyo. I love the modding tool and I'm really happy with how the system works.

I'm worried that if something were to happen to you, heaven forbid, then we'd lose the whole modding system.

Is there a backup/backup plan? 

I don't have a flying bus plan (What happens if I get hit by a flying bus?), however if in the future I decide to leave the community the plan is to package all of the mods at the time, modify the tool to work off the local files instead of downloading them, and pushing a final update, as well as the source for the site and tool if anyone else wants to pick it up. (and my $deity have mercy on their soul for trying to read my source)

• 2 weeks later
  • City Council
On 5/28/2024 at 1:30 PM, Starhawk32 said:

I was using Michi's enhancement icon mod and I loved it.  Today?  It done broked on me.

Is it something local on my end?

What exactly are you having an issue with?

Wonderful tool, many thanks!

It works brilliantly under Windows, (and I can use it there and sneakernet it to my linux box, my current workaround), but I thought I'd post this in case anyone has advice. CoH and Mid's both run fine in the same wine instance, but CoHModdingTool crashes immediately after launch.

Running it from the command line at least gives this information:

(apologies for the graphic, I couldn't get a copy of the text as text)

cohmoddingtool.thumb.png.f80773c3f4f84610f383b08df9daff0c.png

My ignorance of VisualBasic is vast and comprehensive, so please forgive me if this is some obvious noob problem.

Anyone have any advice?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• City Council
5 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Wonderful tool, many thanks!

It works brilliantly under Windows, (and I can use it there and sneakernet it to my linux box, my current workaround), but I thought I'd post this in case anyone has advice. CoH and Mid's both run fine in the same wine instance, but CoHModdingTool crashes immediately after launch.

Running it from the command line at least gives this information:

(apologies for the graphic, I couldn't get a copy of the text as text)

cohmoddingtool.thumb.png.f80773c3f4f84610f383b08df9daff0c.png

My ignorance of VisualBasic is vast and comprehensive, so please forgive me if this is some obvious noob problem.

Anyone have any advice?

Make sure you have dotnet48 installed via winetricks, that's the only thing I can think of off hand.

• Like 1

Full color Statesman statue mod looks really good!  Is there only the statue in Kallisti?

Edited by Display Name

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

• 1 month later

So, for anyone who does soundmods... I know we have "Star Wars Blaster" sounds for pistol and beam rifle... Would anyone be up for adding those to Assault Rifle and the Wolf Spider machine gun?