The Officially Unofficial Weekly Challenge #4: Start a team

A lot of players want teams, not many want to start and manage them.

So this week try it - start a team

The easiest is to start a dfb.  Lots of people want to join and you don't have to switch missions.  But make sure you know how to start a dfb.

Or pick a TF you want to run or even better a great story arc.

• Like 4
  • Moose 1

I normally don't have much issues with starting/leading teams or leagues for that matter however I've come to realize that since having a kid, my attention can drastically get reallocated on a moment's notice and I might not be able to set the next mission. I don't like to have people waiting on me, so for the mean time I've largely relegated myself to just being a teammate.

• Like 1
  • Moose 1

I don't really team in CoH but I do have this handy guide for teaming in MMOs in general.

Dnm-HfHUYAA3ngp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Moose 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I usually have to be poked into starting a team when the situation calls for it. I'm much more at home crashing into teams like a ball of chaos and making it everyone else's problem.

Maybe I'll start a random team this week!

• Moose 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Challenge completed. The problem I have with recruiting is the time it can take, in particular during off-peak times. There are many times when I could have just solo'd the mission in the time it took to recruit. Most folks would prefer an ITF or a tinpex for merit rewards than tag along for a kheldian story arc. 

But I intend to start leading ouro arcs as they will have minimum levels, but the best part is everyone gets merits at the end, instead of just the team lead. 

• Moose 1

Need to do a couple of TFs for the Task Force Commander badge on my main, so may just start a team for these rather than waiting for someone else to do it.

• Moose 1

Torchbearer: Flitz (MA/SR Scrapper), Lead Hose (AR/Dev Blaster), Red Rag (Fire/Fire Brute) ... and many more!

Back on live I ran teams all the time and I was rather good at it, if I do say so myself. 🙂

The reason I don't now (barring teaming with my two sons) is that I lost contact with the game for such a long time. Now the TFs have changed, there are whole new parts of the game that I haven't played myself even once, most things are advertised as speed this and speedy that. I can tag along on something speedy but I rather not run the team then.

//Jack

• Moose 1

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

I've started and led ToT leagues during the season, and DFB, but when it comes to other stuff, I have a problem gauging difficulty levels for the team.  I believe Ive had a few failures in this realm which is why I'm gunshy to do it again, but I can't recall for sure.  I know I've seen more than one team where we get invited, leader says "I'll set it higher after this one" and then like 2 impatient nellies waltz the second it's over because it was "too low."  I mean, I don't want to play with those types anyway, but it's discouraging.

• Moose 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, ZamuelNow said:

Are Mayhem missions simply les popular than they were before Sunset?  I'm getting surprisingly little attention from attempts to start one, even when other stuff is getting posted in LFG.

There's a new contact that lets you farm them if you have the Hero Slayer badge, which is easy enough to get from a single round of Who Will Die part 4.  Plus they tend to be time consuming and don't yield as much exp as just beating up warehouses full of Council.

• Like 2
  • Moose 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

12 hours ago, ZamuelNow said:

Are Mayhem missions simply les popular than they were before Sunset?  I'm getting surprisingly little attention from attempts to start one, even when other stuff is getting posted in LFG.

I think it's always been thay way.  I know redside I used to try and skip them; I normally tend to run squishies and wave after wave of ambushing Longbow got tiresome and played tougher than I think was intended.  But yeah, even blue side these days no one wants those.  Radio missions are mostly cake walks, but it's not uncommon to have a death or two in a mayhem and oh dear god why would you expect a modern player to even consider such a horrible, horrible thing you monster?

• Moose 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

iirc, the Malta on the level 50 Mayhem & Safeguard annoy more people.    I know when I was running multiple via Hassel & Pork for the badges, I normally would do the Founder's versions since the mobs were less annoying to me, but you're running at Incarnate capable.

The few times I ran with PI teams, they often skipped the bank.

• Moose 1

That's...kinda depressing.  I remember Mayhem missions being liked and explicitly considered more interesting than Safeguard missions.  And as far as squishies, that was more of the reason to team for them.  Considering I wasn't part of some big SG and no one I knew played, it feels weird to hear people say they avoid them.  While they were nowhere near as popular as something like an ITF, calls to run one generally weren't met with cold silence on multiple different days.

• Like 1
  • Moose 1

Mayhem missions are literally the reason that I bought City of Villains, and later City of Heroes. They're the most fun missions in the game. I don't understand why people would skip them.

And are people really that scared to fight Malta? 🤪  That's ridiculous. They're nothing without their Sappers, and those guys die in like 2 seconds. Everyone talks about how their characters are at the def cap, well the Sapper drain isn't auto-hit.

Hopefully the devs will strengthen Malta Operatives like they strengthened CoT and Council.

• Like 3
  • Moose 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I invited a team yesterday to kill Jurrasik when I saw a notice that he spawned, then I went and found him. Since I wasn't lvl 50 on that character I gave the star to the 50.

Once Jurrasik fell, and he did quite fast, we decided to keep this team together and do a GM tour.

We eliminated Kracken, looked for Babbage in Boomtown but not spawned, so we did the Council GWW. Then we went to Croatoa and took down Eochai and Jack in Irons.

Finally we went to Indy to find Lusca. Lusca was too scared to appear. Fun was had by all on Indomitable Server who joined this team and stayed for the tour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Moose 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

• 3 weeks later

I'm not the leader type.  My redside only SoA got a mission to take down the Vindicators, knew immediately that i was in over my head.  Lowered diff to -1 went in solo.  Mynx was a fight and I barely prevailed.  Spotted Ms. Liberty and tucked my tail between my legs, exited the mission and put a call out for help.  Five brave souls joined me.   After bumping diff up to +3/7x.  Hit a big snag against Valkyrie, but after her Mynx, Ms. Liberty, and Luminary went down easy.  Kinda sad that ended so easily that was a good team.

• Moose 1

On 3/17/2024 at 1:24 PM, ZamuelNow said:

Neither Safeguards or Mayhems are run very often so it's more of a red vs. blue thing if you're having more trouble forming a Mayhem.  Most radio/paper teams will skip them whenever they come up so they can keep processing random missions.  

• Moose 1

I only run mayhems solo myself, to get the instanced zone badges and temp powers. Not always, and not on every  character, just something to do when bored.

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty