Name Purge

3 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Why not? 

Because I only have active presence on two servers, with most of that tilted towards one. In addition, to the extent there is a crossserver community, I have a global name which spans servers. 

Others  may operate differently.

i have 620 alts on two servers... i want this name thing to happen since i am prolific altoholic. sometimes i come up with all kinds ridiculous alts, sometimes several a day with their own unique costume, only to leave them at level 1. i have no desire to generic them myself, but i would be perfectly happy if someone wanted to take lubris, udderly ridiculous, or who knows? from me if they wished.

i know i am part of the problem, but i'm ridiculous, what do you want? 😁

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours" the Cheshire Cat

"Ce n'est rien de mourir; c'est affreux de ne pas vivre"

(It's nothing to die, it's terrible not to live) Jean Valjean

"وطن المرء ليس مكان ولادته و لكنه المكان الذي تنتهي فيه كل محاولاته للهروب”

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz

I want the name purge because 5p4rk was taken!  No, I wasn't trying to get the name Spark, I actually wanted 5p4rk because I had it on live.

I ended up going with 594rk.

FYI, all of the above is true except where I say I want the name purge.  I don't actually care.  594rk is already level 50 and fully tier 4 incarnate and specifically built for tanking the Avatar of Hamidon in the Underground trial.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 4/19/2024 at 10:14 AM, Erratic1 said:

Amazingly, my first name is shared by tens if not hundreds of thousands of people. That does not make it any less my name. 

As an example of how even huge coincidences can happen, some years ago when I was donating blood, I was asked if I'd ever used another social security number. I told them 'no', and asked why. Apparently there was someone with the same first and last name as mine, as well as my birthdate -- not just month and day, but year -- who was working at the same place I was. I confirmed that when I went back to work the next day, but never got a chance to meet him before he transferred out.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

On 4/19/2024 at 5:52 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

famous live players

Huh? Famous live player? No player was famous in the strict definition of the word. Perhaps well-known in their social group on the server they played on, but nobody was famous, sorry. 

One might make the case that Beefcake got fairly famous for presumable paying someone to pigg dive and build vidiotmaps. (That's a sketchy synopsis/summary of things I've heard - no representation of accuracy there) 

But that's nitpicky of me, for sure. 

I see different sides to this. When I make a new character, the first thing I think of are the sets I want to play, usually. Rarely, I come up with a name first. I was watching WWE and some lady wrestler was doing a promo, making fun of her opponent calling her "The Scary Queen of Scots"...no doubt a play on "Mary, Queen of Scots". 
So, I made a new character with that name. 

Lately, I've seen a Mary Queen of Scotch. A variation on the same theme, I suppose. 

We all do things our own way, and I can understand the frustration of thinking of this new theme/concept/idea only to discover someone else is using the name you wanted. It's frustrating. 
True story here: In grad school, I was considering pursuing a PhD. It would be expensive and certainly exhausting. It wasn't part of my master plan, but it occurred to me to at least consider it. I had this idea after watching a NASCAR race when the driver I was pulling for had to unexpectedly pit because of a flat tire. The year was 2003, and I was driving a 1987 Ford Taurus. At the time, it was a pretty popular, reliable car, and it was paid for, ran well. 

Seeing this issue with the tire caused me to ask myself, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could design a sensor to tell us when a tire is running out of air? I mean, that can't be that hard to do." 

Well, I found out after reaching out to a retired pit crew boss who told me the odds of any pit boss sharing information on tires would be very, very low, and that there was already a tire pressure sensor in the market. 

Someone had already thought of "my idea" and successfully designed, tested, manufactured and marketed it. Several years before I did. 

Driving an older car, and never needing to rent a newer car...I just didn't know this was already out in the market. 

There is nothing new under the sun. Someone has the same name you do, somewhere. You might have thought of it - but odds are, someone else has as well. It's not a great feeling to see your idea has been implemented by someone else. I get it. Trust me, I get it. 

Eventually, patents expire. There's nothing now to stop me from coming up with a new way to the same thing the current air pressure sensors in tires work. Your concept can still work, but you just have to approach it from a different angle. It's damned annoying, we all get it, but that's also a chance for you to show creativity. 

And I'm sorry, using 0 instead of O is probably okay, but using (as an example) Apache-Fire because Apache Fire is already taken...that's really annoying. Especially when I'm at ToT with that character, and then you show up with your character, and I am asked why I'm multi-boxing when I'm not. Yeah, I don't like that. Take that to another server or come up with something else. 
That said, nobody cares if I like it or not - and I don't have to like it. It's your game, too. 

I have been asked one time if I would give up a character's name - and I did. Didn't charge them any inf at all. I think they had big fun with "Big Kahuna" on Torchbearer. 
My character there was a PL'd controller, of all things, that at the time, I didn't have the inf to slot properly, nor did I really understand how to play it, which is why it was idle, and long forgotten since Excelsior had opened. 

I still like the name; but if I'm not using it, and it's not on the server I'm playing on, feel free to ask me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

As an example of how even huge coincidences can happen, some years ago when I was donating blood, I was asked if I'd ever used another social security number. I told them 'no', and asked why. Apparently there was someone with the same first and last name as mine, as well as my birthdate -- not just month and day, but year -- who was working at the same place I was. I confirmed that when I went back to work the next day, but never got a chance to meet him before he transferred out.

My name is fairly common.   I nearly got kicked out of college for "cheating".  A guy with the same name was auditing one of my classes and when two midterms were turned in with the same name.  Nothing like having a professor screaming at a freshman to name his accomplices.

Then my wife and I got a confused call from our home insurance agent.  He was wondering about the second house in our file.  Turns out another couple with the same names as my wife & I had signed up about the same time.  Took a bit of time to sort that out.  (And our wives had kept their maiden name...)

3 hours ago, srmalloy said:

I had a similar experience at the Department of Motor Vehicles... except that the other person had outstanding warrants! I had to suggest that the state office check the driver's license information... of the state-issued license I was renewing.... before I could conclude my business.

3 hours ago, Ukase said:

Huh? Famous live player? No player was famous in the strict definition of the word. Perhaps well-known in their social group on the server they played on, but nobody was famous, sorry.

Mercedes Lackey was known to play City of Heroes. She's a well known author and quite famous, in the strict definition of the word. So you're wrong again, sorry.

By "famous player" we actually meant people who were famous in the City of Heroes community overall, not just in their social group or on their server. Names like BillzBubba and Arcanaville. I suspect you knew that, you just wanted to use your excessively nitpicky response to springboard off into one of the most boring and off topic posts that I've ever seen. One that reads like you're trying to pass a Turing Test.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

4 hours ago, srmalloy said:

I have a similar story.  While my first name is fairly common, my surname is decidedly not.  I was a grad student in Austin, then joined the Army Reserves & spent a year & a half in training.  When I returned to Austin to join my Reserve unit, I moved into an apartment complex & I started to get mail in my name that clearly was not for me.  It turned out that while I was in the Army, someone that shared my name had been living in that apartment complex (but had since moved out) - & that person had also been a grad student at UT, was apparently close to my age, & was military as well.  It was a strange coincidence that 2 people with such a relatively rare name ended up living in the same apartment complex witihin months of one another.  No wonder the post office was confused. 😕

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

On 4/23/2024 at 9:44 AM, Ukase said:

One might make the case that Beefcake got fairly famous for presumable paying someone to pigg dive and build vidiotmaps. (That's a sketchy synopsis/summary of things I've heard - no representation of accuracy there) 

But that's nitpicky of me, for sure. 

I see different sides to this. When I make a new character, the first thing I think of are the sets I want to play, usually. Rarely, I come up with a name first. I was watching WWE and some lady wrestler was doing a promo, making fun of her opponent calling her "The Scary Queen of Scots"...no doubt a play on "Mary, Queen of Scots". 
So, I made a new character with that name. 

Lately, I've seen a Mary Queen of Scotch. A variation on the same theme, I suppose. 

We all do things our own way, and I can understand the frustration of thinking of this new theme/concept/idea only to discover someone else is using the name you wanted. It's frustrating. 
True story here: In grad school, I was considering pursuing a PhD. It would be expensive and certainly exhausting. It wasn't part of my master plan, but it occurred to me to at least consider it. I had this idea after watching a NASCAR race when the driver I was pulling for had to unexpectedly pit because of a flat tire. The year was 2003, and I was driving a 1987 Ford Taurus. At the time, it was a pretty popular, reliable car, and it was paid for, ran well. 

Seeing this issue with the tire caused me to ask myself, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could design a sensor to tell us when a tire is running out of air? I mean, that can't be that hard to do." 

Well, I found out after reaching out to a retired pit crew boss who told me the odds of any pit boss sharing information on tires would be very, very low, and that there was already a tire pressure sensor in the market. 

Someone had already thought of "my idea" and successfully designed, tested, manufactured and marketed it. Several years before I did. 

Driving an older car, and never needing to rent a newer car...I just didn't know this was already out in the market. 

There is nothing new under the sun. Someone has the same name you do, somewhere. You might have thought of it - but odds are, someone else has as well. It's not a great feeling to see your idea has been implemented by someone else. I get it. Trust me, I get it. 

Eventually, patents expire. There's nothing now to stop me from coming up with a new way to the same thing the current air pressure sensors in tires work. Your concept can still work, but you just have to approach it from a different angle. It's damned annoying, we all get it, but that's also a chance for you to show creativity. 

And I'm sorry, using 0 instead of O is probably okay, but using (as an example) Apache-Fire because Apache Fire is already taken...that's really annoying. Especially when I'm at ToT with that character, and then you show up with your character, and I am asked why I'm multi-boxing when I'm not. Yeah, I don't like that. Take that to another server or come up with something else. 
That said, nobody cares if I like it or not - and I don't have to like it. It's your game, too. 

I have been asked one time if I would give up a character's name - and I did. Didn't charge them any inf at all. I think they had big fun with "Big Kahuna" on Torchbearer. 
My character there was a PL'd controller, of all things, that at the time, I didn't have the inf to slot properly, nor did I really understand how to play it, which is why it was idle, and long forgotten since Excelsior had opened. 

I still like the name; but if I'm not using it, and it's not on the server I'm playing on, feel free to ask me. 

This thread is going to the americans...I have to give it a big J ranger!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ich namen Gita!

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 4/24/2024 at 12:11 AM, Ironblade said:

I want the name purge because 5p4rk was taken!  No, I wasn't trying to get the name Spark, I actually wanted 5p4rk because I had it on live.

I ended up going with 594rk.

FYI, all of the above is true except where I say I want the name purge.  I don't actually care.  594rk is already level 50 and fully tier 4 incarnate and specifically built for tanking the Avatar of Hamidon in the Underground trial.

I hear Wolverine hasn't used his name in like 7 years, so that should be fair game too!

(unless you count his upcoming return with DP via the multiverse I suppose...)

• Haha 1

Game over man, game over!

On 4/23/2024 at 2:25 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

By "famous player" we actually meant people who were famous in the City of Heroes community overall, not just in their social group or on their server. Names like BillzBubba and Arcanaville.

Never heard of either one of them and I played on live for years. 

1 hour ago, Nostromo21 said:

I hear Wolverine hasn't used his name in like 7 years, so that should be fair game too!

(unless you count his upcoming return with DP via the multiverse I suppose...)

He was barely inactive for like a week and the marvel devs gave his name to a new toon. So ya I guess it is free to use.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Excraft said:

Never heard of either one of them and I played on live for years. 

BillZBubba used to post regularly on the forums - think he loved to play brutes

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 2:25 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Mercedes Lackey was known to play City of Heroes. She's a well known author and quite famous, in the strict definition of the word. So you're wrong again, sorry.

By "famous player" we actually meant people who were famous in the City of Heroes community overall, not just in their social group or on their server. Names like BillzBubba and Arcanaville. I suspect you knew that, you just wanted to use your excessively nitpicky response to springboard off into one of the most boring and off topic posts that I've ever seen. One that reads like you're trying to pass a Turing Test.

When I was about 8 I mixed Aim and Crest when brushing my teeth.  Then we saw a commercial for this brand new stuff, AquaFresh!   

SO obviously it was all my idea. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

Along with Memphis_Bill, Samuraiko aka Dark_Respite, 8baller, ChristopherRobin, Hyperstrike, and Thor's Assassin. To name a few.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Along with Memphis_Bill, Samuraiko aka Dark_Respite, 8baller, ChristopherRobin, Hyperstrike, and Thor's Assassin. To name a few.

I remember Hyperstrike, vaguely.

The others - nope.  Sorry.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:27 AM, Ghost said:

I'm sure you're correct.  I still don't know who that is.

20 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Never heard of any one of them either.  I don't mean this to be insulting at all, but I'm not sure these folks are as "famous" as you all think they are. 

Edited by Excraft
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Excraft said:

Never heard of any one of them either.  I don't mean this to be insulting at all, but I'm not sure these folks are as "famous" as you all think they are. 

You're not being insulting, you're just not thinking. Just because you don't know who someone is doesn't mean they're not famous. Do you know who Shah Rukh Khan is? No? Well all 1.4 BILLION people in India know who he is. Therefore he's famous.

Of course you've never heard of them, you didn't spend much, if any, time on the retail forums. Just because you haven't heard of people that were part of a community that you were never involved in doesn't mean they weren't famous in that community. If you ask anyone who spent a lot of time on the retail forums they'll remember at least some of these people as these people were famous in the City of Heroes community.

"Oh, I've never heard of Elvis, therefore he's not famous." Brilliant!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

8 minutes ago, Excraft said:

I think it really depended on which server you played on or interacted with on the forums.    I vaguely remember some of the names mentioned, but I bounced all over the servers.

Regionally famous perhaps.   We have a few of those now with some of the TF leaders on current servers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

You're not being insulting, you're just not thinking. Just because you don't know who someone is doesn't mean they're not famous. Do you know who Shah Rukh Khan is? No? Well all 1.4 BILLION people in India know who he is. Therefore he's famous.

No, I've never heard of whoever that is either.  And yes, that doesn't make him "famous" to me personally at all, sorry. 

Of course you've never heard of them, you didn't spend much, if any, time on the retail forums. Just because you haven't heard of people that were part of a community that you were never involved in doesn't mean they weren't famous in that community. If you ask anyone who spent a lot of time on the retail forums they'll remember at least some of these people as these people were famous in the City of Heroes community.

I'm curious, how do you know exactly how much or how little time I spent on the game forums when the game was in retail?  The answer is you don't know.  You've no idea.  And yes, I have asked a couple of people I know who I roll with from back in the day and they've never heard any of these names either.  I'm sorry, we've never heard of anyone in your little clique of internet buddies.  They may be "famous" to you, that doesn't make them "famous" to everyone.  And we all were back then and are still now part of the City of Heroes community.  The community encompasses everyone, not just you and your clique.

"Oh, I've never heard of Elvis, therefore he's not famous." Brilliant!!!

Like I said, I'm sorry I never heard of your little circle of internet pals.  That doesn't make them "famous" to me.  You'll note I never said that doesn't mean others don't know who they are because it's more than clear some people do.  Those people whomever they are were important to you and some others, but not to everyone.  Your post seemed to make the assumption everyone knows who these people were and they are "famous".  All I said was I never heard of them and maybe that means they aren't as "famous" as you thought.   Feel free to disagree.

• Haha 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1