There needs to be a leaver penalty

unpopular opinion there needs to be a leaver penalty for people dropping in and out of leagues/teams. I get it if there is something that came up like "the dog is on fire" but just randomly dropping from the TF/Trial... its starting to get to a point at least on Excel where it is becoming an issue. If you need to go at minimum say something. Ive been running things for quite some time now and there was never an issue with people leaving randomly.

If we need to make the leaver penalty you cant join a league/TF for 20 mins fine but this is getting to the point where I know im not the only one who will say that people randomly leaving Trials/TF for random reason since the HC takeover has gotten out of hand. We are in 2024 where any computer can deal with this game, a vast majority of the game population has great internet this isnt early 00s where people are still on dial up. 

I dont know what you do to make this issue go away or lessened but make it harsh enough people will stop doing it

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 13

So, how do you scan for people who have a crash?  Penalize them then and there, wait until after whatever league/team function is complete?

There are still some bugs that crop up, while more rare, do happen.

Also, this would really mess up master runs where everyone quits to restart.   Do we need a note from the lead to say it's OK?

Honestly, the only times I see people voluntarily quitting is when the team isn't up to the task, or the leader is a jerk.  With the occasional RL emergency coming up.

player notes are also a good tool. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Posted (edited)

I would just lead teams and keep them hostage on the final step so everyone has to abandon the task force and accept the penalty since I won't be calling it in.

"Ooops. Sorry guys. I just started this task force... where we are debuffed on accident. uwu. Sorry about your ELO."

Edited by Nayeh
  • Haha 2

"Don't leave me. I have no friends." - Kip Drordy

Don't be a Kyle.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

No thanks.  Go back to WoW.

If you have such a hard-on for punishing people for perceived slights, then *you* "punish" them by never grouping with them again.  Frankly, I would consider such punishment a blessing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, Living Brain 3000 said:

unpopular opinion there needs to be a leaver penalty for people dropping in and out of leagues/teams. I get it if there is something that came up like "the dog is on fire" but just randomly dropping from the TF/Trial... its starting to get to a point at least on Excel where it is becoming an issue. If you need to go at minimum say something. Ive been running things for quite some time now and there was never an issue with people leaving randomly.

If we need to make the leaver penalty you cant join a league/TF for 20 mins fine but this is getting to the point where I know im not the only one who will say that people randomly leaving Trials/TF for random reason since the HC takeover has gotten out of hand. We are in 2024 where any computer can deal with this game, a vast majority of the game population has great internet this isnt early 00s where people are still on dial up. 

I dont know what you do to make this issue go away or lessened but make it harsh enough people will stop doing it

1. We do not know the circumstances for their choices(or force to due to comp/net issues) to not be in a mission.

2. We don't know if the leader or other members of the team were being toxic or otherwise contributing to a run being unpleasant etc.

3.  Game is not hardcore raiding centric.  It is (for now... segements of the player base who are marginalized certainly wish it to be the opposite) for the most part a rather relaxed, casual, game and unless doing star mod ITF's, even the regular ones are rather casual.

4.  It becomes a slippery slope when you want to start enforcing player base wide punitive measures for circumstances that arent always within their control or in their control due to other extenuating circumstances where they were rightfully justified to exit a run.  

All in all, the best option for you, is simply to put someone you feel didnt follow through with a run due to your perception of their being bad on global ignore.  This way you ensure they'll not be joining you on a run you coordinate in the future.  Reverse also holds true for leaders or individuals in a group you or someone else dislikes too of course.  Eventually over the years, this helps sort out the ones who involve themselves in bad habits as they'll end up self marginalizing themselves if they truly are so particularly prone to various problems in groups.   But if you're looking to impose more than that though, unless devs join your cause from the dev team/player council to implement a change(unlikely I would think), then your wants arent going to match the reality of the situation.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Living Brain 3000 said:

unpopular opinion there needs to be a leaver penalty for people dropping in and out of leagues/teams.

I agree with one part of this; that it's an unpopular opinion.  I think it's a terrible idea.  Personally, I have not seen this to be an issue and I'm REALLY skeptical that there is some huge difference between the players on Excelsior and Everlasting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

I agree with one part of this; that it's an unpopular opinion.  I think it's a terrible idea.  Personally, I have not seen this to be an issue and I'm REALLY skeptical that there is some huge difference between the players on Excelsior and Everlasting.

I recently played on Excel again, missed doing anything with LB3000, who is a good lead.     Does seem to be more churn there than on Everlasting, but I just chalked that up to the higher population and more chances of getting a newer player.

My initial reaction was because I did just lead a team on Everlasting with citadel.  Two of us definitely crashed (friend & I on discord), we came back, but one other person dropped at some point.  I assumed they crashed and just didn't come back.  (Bonus though, we didn't have the repeat mission bug)

Sounds like something more suited to an actual day job than a game. Seriously.  Gotta agree with the majority...it's a terrible idea. Far too many variables to account for and more likely to kill the PUG runs totally other than for the hardcore farmer/grinder players. I get the frustration...I think we've almost all been there but penalties ain't the answer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ironblade said:

From experience, this is a bigger issue on Excelsior than the other shards.  Excelsior attracts newer players more so than the other shards, and most newer players are immediately introduced to either AE farms, Peregrine Island radio missions, or both.  They then tend to assume everything else in the game works that way so they feel free to leave a TF/SF/trial halfway through, without realizing that it's screwing over the other people on the team.

• Thanks 1

If you mean a penalty if someone quits the team while a TF is in progress, I see two major issues immediately:

1. A player who wants to quit will be incentivized to just log off instead, leaving the team to face missions that assume the player is still helping when deciding how many enemies to spawn. We cannot penalize people who log off because the TF system is deliberately designed to allow the team to log off and resume at a later time.

2. What if a team has to reset? For instance the team might not be able to overcome some AV challenge and wants to try different content or swap out for better built characters. Also, when we run Master of runs, we frequently have to restart when there is a death. How would the game know that these players quitting are not just "leavers"?

• Thanks 3

From Champion (Hero) and Infinity (Villain), currently playing on Everlasting.

Former member of the Hammers of Justice on Champion.

Raid leader for 'Everlasting TFs'.

Mains: Trickery Girl (Ill/Rad Controller), Burk (Sword/Shield Stalker), and 6 other complete badge characters.

What about a tracking system? Shouldn't be too hard to add to some page of player info.

• Track exit from mission/TF/SF through loss of connection. Partly exculpatory, but seeing someone who crashes out twice a day might give a TL pause at adding them,
  • Track voluntary drops. A few is one thing; a persistent pattern... again a TL call.
  • Do NOT track being kicked, because the polite exit would be to claim a RW issue and ask to be removed.
  • Thanks 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

What about a tracking system? Shouldn't be too hard to add to some page of player info.

• Track exit from mission/TF/SF through loss of connection. Partly exculpatory, but seeing someone who crashes out twice a day might give a TL pause at adding them

If you're poor and can't afford a nice router, no Soup for you! 

3 minutes ago, Krimson said:

If you're poor and can't afford a nice router, no Soup for you! 

If you can't stay connected long enough to complete a group effort, it's unsportsmanlike to keep joining them.

I have no horse in this race; I have very rarely teamed in the HC era.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com