The Good, The Bad, and the City of Heroes...

madpoet67

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

As I read through the lists of things people hate, I keep thinking to myself... "what's wrong with you people?   That's the good stuff!  Do you want, a room filled with enemies who are specifically built to not hurt you and spew an enormous amount of rewards for almost no risk?"   And then I remember what A.E. turned into and I realize that yes... that's what many of you people want.

Give me extremely hard content and the tools to just barely beat it if I do everything perfectly.  That's what great gaming looks like.

What do you mean, "you people?"

• Haha 1

Most hated villains? too long a list to make but ill settle for Ruin Mages. At their level they hit like a truck and have a combination of offense and defense that is nearly team breaking.

Most hated group. VAHZILOK VAZZZZZZZ!! dear god any one group that makes me actually shudder in anger its vaz the amount of damage they do at their level range is staggering and worse they have tox damage which is one of the least defended against. 

Most hated map? that thrice damned and be damned again Lab Map, most specifically the room with the Lab machines. I HATE with a capital H A T E that room. it is just a mess with too many corners to hide a mob in and the possibility rng to get simultaneously hosed and rewarded at the same time.  one time back live when we gleefully blew up the lab equipment to see what we got, my team got 4 FOUR!! end  debuffs. we spent nearly 5 mintues with no end felt like we were fighting malta sappers

oh and did I mention we were on a synapse TF at the time so we were against clockwork on top of it all. 

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

The introduction of the Freak sappers. They were never needed. Freak were one of the few mobs that gave you a breather from the difficult mobs, now Freaks have sappers too. Freaks went from my favorite to one of the most loathed.

Next thing you know they will add sappers to Council...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Give me extremely hard content and the tools to just barely beat it if I do everything perfectly.  That's what great gaming looks like.

Then you are playing the wrong game, lol.

All kidding aside, this game has not been like that since IOs came out. Even then it was fairly easy. 

I just *try* to keep in mind, this game was never my favorite because of the difficulty,  it is my favorite because it promotes teaming like no other,  the friendly players and, POWAH!!!!

• Like 1

Ahh the delightfully annoying Sappers.  Learned two things fighting Sappers.  At first I  wondered what all the fuss was about.   Then my  /Regen got to experience what my  /SR had been missing, quite literally, getting sucked dry.  Second the value of targeting binds for those particularly annoying mobs.

5 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

As I read through the lists of things people hate, I keep thinking to myself... "what's wrong with you people?   That's the good stuff!  Do you want, a room filled with enemies who are specifically built to not hurt you and spew an enormous amount of rewards for almost no risk?"   And then I remember what A.E. turned into and I realize that yes... that's what many of you people want.

2076345177_large1.thumb.png.e6b2caeca7fc6833a0bf0f1bf71cc4ff.png

Gaming is about fun.  Working your ass off to barely progress at all is mutually exclusive with fun.

• Like 3

Most annoying, not really any villains.  It's some of the hostages that basically require you to kill everything in the map so that when you rescue them, they don't go and agro everything.  (Lady Grey, Fusionette, that General guy.... for some examples)

1 hour ago, Black Zot said:

2076345177_large1.thumb.png.e6b2caeca7fc6833a0bf0f1bf71cc4ff.png

Gaming is about fun.  Working your ass off to barely progress at all is mutually exclusive with fun.

Or it's extremely fun depending on who you ask. Think we can agree CoH is mostly not focused on the this playstyle though.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:17 PM, DocRadio said:

I ran that mission Solo... The NPC's were LONNNNNNNNGGGGG damned dead by the time I got to the final battle.

... that doesn't sound right.  As I recall, you don't even get the option to have the NPCs join you until the final fight with the Avatars.

18 hours ago, Solarverse said:

The introduction of the Freak sappers. They were never needed. Freak were one of the few mobs that gave you a breather from the difficult mobs, now Freaks have sappers too. Freaks went from my favorite to one of the most loathed.

I agree.  The -100% Recovery Debuff is just plain stupid.

19 hours ago, Solarverse said:

All kidding aside, this game has not been like that since IOs came out. Even then it was fairly easy. 

I just *try* to keep in mind, this game was never my favorite because of the difficulty,  it is my favorite because it promotes teaming like no other,  the friendly players and, POWAH!!!!

127745BC-D856-4884-983B-6BEB48CFEE52.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

The Animus Arcana...

like omg I can't even see the Cloud of Ices and Lightning storms, then I try to tab target and it selects some enemy a mile away instead of this stupid Animated staff thats right next to me that I can barely even see let alone click on it to target. UGHHHHHHH

Mez effects in general. Playing on any ranged character often feels like "do I have a Break Free, or am I going to the hospital?" They're either unimportant, or absurdly punitive, with no in-between.

Lt. Sefu Tendaji. Yes, he's helping... Energy Torrent, Force Bolt, Explosive Blast, Power Punch, REPULSION FIELD. This is how you make enemies, Sefu. Enemies for life.

Similarly, Serpent Drummer. Look, just go away, and I'll deal with this. just. go. away.

Shadow Shard. beautiful zone, but so much empty space and the difficulties navigating it make it not worthwhile.

TF's that require you to make a ton of zone transitions. Especially ones that bounce you back and forth between zones every other mission.

• Haha 1

Torchbearer: @Lakanna (Blue) or @Annakal (Red)

3 hours ago, Lakanna said:

Lt. Sefu Tendaji. Yes, he's helping... Energy Torrent, Force Bolt, Explosive Blast, Power Punch, REPULSION FIELD. This is how you make enemies, Sefu. Enemies for life.

And then you get to beat him up for it and he's a freaking AV-level Ballista.  I'm not sure who decided we needed more tedious sacks of HP in this game, but that person was wrong.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lakanna said:

TF's that require you to make a ton of zone transitions. Especially ones that bounce you back and forth between zones every other mission.

So basically every OG TF.  😜

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

7 hours ago, Lakanna said:

Mez effects in general. Playing on any ranged character often feels like "do I have a Break Free, or am I going to the hospital?" They're either unimportant, or absurdly punitive, with no in-between.

I remember once reading an interview of one of the developers of Neverwinter Nights. He said something about what they learned from making that game that I never forgot, which was 'Save or Die' mechanics. The team noted that many of the status effects and things like traps in the game were highly unsatisfying and resulted in poor gameplay because they essentially came down to.....Save or Die.

In many cases it doesn't particularly matter what the exact nature of the status effect was, all that mattered was that it rendered you combat incapable in front of a bunch of enemies, who would then immediately kill you. The extreme end of the example was failing to save the fear aura of a dragon. You're just dead at that point - save or die.

• Like 3

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

On 11/22/2019 at 5:00 PM, NNDeepdish said:

The Animus Arcana...

like omg I can't even see the Cloud of Ices and Lightning storms, then I try to tab target and it selects some enemy a mile away instead of this stupid Animated staff thats right next to me that I can barely even see let alone click on it to target. UGHHHHHHH

... do you have Tab set to "select closest target"?  It shouldn't be selecting random enemies if you do.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:23 AM, Williwaw said:

... that doesn't sound right.  As I recall, you don't even get the option to have the NPCs join you until the final fight with the Avatars.

If I remember correctly you get the NPC's then have to take out a certain number of enemy groups THEN you fight the Avatars.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:54 AM, Solarverse said:

Depends entirely on AT and primary/secondary options. If you were say.... an Archery/Fire blaster pre incarnate life was not going to be easy for you.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:58 PM, SaintD said:

I remember once reading an interview of one of the developers of Neverwinter Nights. He said something about what they learned from making that game that I never forgot, which was 'Save or Die' mechanics. The team noted that many of the status effects and things like traps in the game were highly unsatisfying and resulted in poor gameplay because they essentially came down to.....Save or Die.

In many cases it doesn't particularly matter what the exact nature of the status effect was, all that mattered was that it rendered you combat incapable in front of a bunch of enemies, who would then immediately kill you. The extreme end of the example was failing to save the fear aura of a dragon. You're just dead at that point - save or die.

On the other hand.... Having status protection makes all mobs with a mez suckers. Every time some Rikti tries to mez my Tanker when he could have at least did a little damage with his sword.... I giggle.

I don't mind sappers, but i usually play ranged so snipe from a distance and don't approach until all the sappers are dead.  The mob I hate most is the one I haven't seen since I've been back and that is Nictus.  Following a black dwarf and they turn a corner and stop dead in their tracks and maybe backup a bit, you knew what they saw and that a fight had found you.

I don't hate all cave maps, just cave maps with that ONE room in them.

4 minutes ago, Darkesyde said:

I don't mind sappers, but i usually play ranged so snipe from a distance and don't approach until all the sappers are dead.  The mob I hate most is the one I haven't seen since I've been back and that is Nictus.  Following a black dwarf and they turn a corner and stop dead in their tracks and maybe backup a bit, you knew what they saw and that a fight had found you.

I don't hate all cave maps, just cave maps with that ONE room in them.

Never ever team with my WS Grey Wanderer then, he actively seeks out Nictus (ok maybe it's just RNG shenanigans, but I've NEVER seen so many Nictus, tasty, tasty Nictus (Grey has a bit of a background with devouring other Nictus))

• Like 2

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!