Mid's Reborn: A Hero Designer (formerly Mids/Pines) and whatnot

Just in case someone asks it, don't forget to unzip the whole folder first!

Also, the "binaries" look like the contents of the old Mids folders. Why couldn't we just drop that in a folder and create a shortcut?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Also, the "binaries" look like the contents of the old Mids folders. Why couldn't we just drop that in a folder and create a shortcut?

You can, which is what I did.

Is there any specific reason why I wouldn't be able to associate .mxd files with Pine's? One would think it should be as simple as rightclick->Open With and then locate the Pine's .exe. But when I select it, it just goes back to the open with dialog as if I'd hit cancel without selecting anything. Choosing other random programs adds them to the list in the aforementioned dialog and I could set those just fine, but Pine's refuses to be selected. Is this something that I can fix, or is it a bug in the program and/or the installer?

For reference, I'm using the web-based installer linked in the first post of the thread and have whatever version that installs. 2.23 I think. It's installed in the gibberish named folder under AppData that I can't change, but I also had the same problem with the older version of Pine's that still had the stand alone installer.

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

Anytime I try to open any of my three Thugs/Sonic Resonance Mastermind saved builds from a prior version of Pine's, or import the build using code, I get an error message: "Unable to read data - Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

can you send me a copy of any of those builds in message or submit them on the github? https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer/issues

I guess it wasn't clear that that option has existed for a long time now, and people were asking for an installer, not binaries. Maybe it's obscure developer jargon. I did this thinking the already existing and routinely updated/released binaries listed in the released folder of github (https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer/releases/tag/bin.0.0.6 for example) were not sufficient.

Is there any specific reason why I wouldn't be able to associate .mxd files with Pine's? One would think it should be as simple as rightclick->Open With and then locate the Pine's .exe. But when I select it, it just goes back to the open with dialog as if I'd hit cancel without selecting anything. Choosing other random programs adds them to the list in the aforementioned dialog and I could set those just fine, but Pine's refuses to be selected. Is this something that I can fix, or is it a bug in the program and/or the installer?

For reference, I'm using the web-based installer linked in the first post of the thread and have whatever version that installs. 2.23 I think. It's installed in the gibberish named folder under AppData that I can't change, but I also had the same problem with the older version of Pine's that still had the stand alone installer.

I don't know, but I'll look into this.

Issue tracking at https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer/issues/24

In my experience when this happens it's a registry problem. I didn't have this problem with the current version of Mids but I did have it with the previous versions and I had to do a registry modification to fix it.

DISCLAIMER: Mucking with your registry is dangerous. If you don't know what you're doing please wait for an official fix. I am not responsible if you fuck up your computer.

So basically the issue is that the open command doesn't always get properly set in the registry. The registry entry you need to modify is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Hero Designer.exe\shell\open\command

If that either doesn't have a value or is set to the wrong value change it to the correct path and then try again. Alternatively you can modif the file association directly using the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\mxd_auto_file\shell\open\command

Defender Smash!

In my experience when this happens it's a registry problem. I didn't have this problem with the current version of Mids but I did have it with the previous versions and I had to do a registry modification to fix it.

DISCLAIMER: Mucking with your registry is dangerous. If you don't know what you're doing please wait for an official fix. I am not responsible if you fuck up your computer.

So basically the issue is that the open command doesn't always get properly set in the registry. The registry entry you need to modify is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Hero Designer.exe\shell\open\command

If that either doesn't have a value or is set to the wrong value change it to the correct path and then try again. Alternatively you can modif the file association directly using the registry key:

Thank you for the starting point to work from.

Anytime I try to open any of my three Thugs/Sonic Resonance Mastermind saved builds from a prior version of Pine's, or import the build using code, I get an error message: "Unable to read data - Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

can you send me a copy of any of those builds in message or submit them on the github? https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer/issues

I don't see any way to attach files to a PM, and I don't have a Github account, so I'll just attach one of them to this post.  Note that it was made in Pine's 2.21, and opens just fine in Pine's 2.22.

Apparition_-_Mastermind_Thugs.mxd

Can I make a suggestion?

Even if you cannot select the location, can you provide some sort of documentation in the installer to tell people WHERE the install is going?

The "blind install" method is a GIGANTIC no-no.

I need to know where this application's components exist on my system.

And the current install method leaves you with NO indication.

Also, does this application REQUIRE an internet connection?

Because it seems to be behaving that way.

So, for right now I'm uninstalling as I'm literally FORBIDDEN from having an uncontrolled application like this on my machine.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Thank you for updating Pine's to fix the installation issues preventing us from opening it and to allow those of us that need to direct the installation to be able to do so.  I was able to install using the Custom Installer 0.07 from your GitHub and Pine's opened this time.  Additionally I tested installs using both the installer and the zip and both worked smoothly. 

Can I make a suggestion?

Even if you cannot select the location, can you provide some sort of documentation in the installer to tell people WHERE the install is going?

The "blind install" method is a GIGANTIC no-no.

I need to know where this application's components exist on my system.

And the current install method leaves you with NO indication.

Also, does this application REQUIRE an internet connection?

Because it seems to be behaving that way.

So, for right now I'm uninstalling as I'm literally FORBIDDEN from having an uncontrolled application like this on my machine.

You can select an install location.

The internet based version checks the internet for updates when it starts up. Neither the binaries, the clickonce local installer, the app itself, nor the new custom installer should be checking the internet for anything.

As for custom install locations I put one together that lets you select your install location mentioned a bit before your post https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,6298.msg54071.html#msg54071

If you are having trouble with that one, the direct files (no installer needed) are available as well under the Debug Binaries section of the releases page.

It has 3 of the 4 possibilties:

• A zip file of the application no installer needed listed as - Debug binaries
  • A local installer created with the .net framework's built-in installer creation system that doesn't check the internet listed as - Clickonce Local installer
  • A custom poorly built and horribly styled installer, that contains the zipped application and places the files in a folder of your choosing. listed as - Custom Installer

Which leaves the only installer that does check the internet, created with the same built-in installer creation system that does check the internet for updates at https://imaginarydevelopment.github.io/imaginary-hero-designer/publish/publish.htm

Hope that helps.

I tried this and the value in the registry appeared to be set to an old install of Pine's which no longer exists on my computer rather than the correct location of the current install. After changing it to the correct location I am able to set the association as intended, but when opening a build I get an error message saying 'Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.' followed by a windows message saying Pines' Hero Designer has stopped working. This error appears to be from within Pines itself rather than a system related error, as the first error message has the Pines icon in the taskbar.

From my own limited programming knowledge I would suspect the error is somewhere in whatever code translates the command line argument into opening a file, as opening a file from within the application works fine. I could be entirely wrong on that, of course. But at least there's an exception to catch now rather than just silently failing.

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

Question on slots: I placed slots in a power where I didn't intend to, but only realized it while I was placing enhancements. I got the shift+click to remove the errant slots (tooltip says this moves them, but it did not for me), but I can't figure out how to re-place them. Builder shows "3 slots to go" but there's no command or menu I can find that will let me place them. How do?

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

Question on slots: I placed slots in a power where I didn't intend to, but only realized it while I was placing enhancements. I got the shift+click to remove the errant slots (tooltip says this moves them, but it did not for me), but I can't figure out how to re-place them. Builder shows "3 slots to go" but there's no command or menu I can find that will let me place them. How do?

You may be stuck in totals mode, the control on the left side that says Info, Effects, Totals, Enhance. Click any tab besides Totals.

I am bungling trying to install it with wineskin since I'm on a mac and..... nothing seems to be working.

Downloaded and unzipped the custom installer, pointed a brand new wineskin wrapper at it... nothing happens, then wineskin says no new executables were found.

Copied the contents into the wrapper... still nothing.

Wineskin is 2.6.2 and the Wine engine is WS9Wine2.22. The wrapper is configured to be windows 7.

Help??

You may be stuck in totals mode, the control on the left side that says Info, Effects, Totals, Enhance. Click any tab besides Totals.

That did it. Thanks!

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I am bungling trying to install it with wineskin since I'm on a mac and..... nothing seems to be working.

Downloaded and unzipped the custom installer, pointed a brand new wineskin wrapper at it... nothing happens, then wineskin says no new executables were found.

Copied the contents into the wrapper... still nothing.

Wineskin is 2.6.2 and the Wine engine is WS9Wine2.22. The wrapper is configured to be windows 7.

Help??

I'm afraid I know nothing of getting software working on a Mac. I'm sorry. Perhaps Pine or someone else in her does? Rebirth's discord has a mac help channel where you might find someone knowledgeable - https://discord.gg/rPvHX26

This may win the daft question of the day award.

Is there a way to toggle "respec mode" in Pine's so slots can be placed and moved willy-nilly without regard for level, as if you were respec'ing in the game? Turning off "slot levels" does not help as it just turns off the display of slot levels, not placement rules.

It's driving me up the wall.

I'm having trouble with Settings not sticking through close and load of the program.  This was happening in v2.22 as well.

In particular, the following settings randomly change from how I set them:

Use alternate colors for inherents

Middle click repeats last enhancement

Use Arcanatime for animation times

Suppression (effects are suppressed based on conditions):  Attacked

Edit:  No amount of editing I have tried gets the Superior Might of the Tanker proc to yield the appropriate 6.7% Resist All when I toggle it on.  The default is currently 6.41%