I miss snipers

eldono

My first experience in Founder's Falls and Peregrine Island was getting shot out of the sky by a sniper, it was somewhat annoying to be killed, but now, I miss the jeopardy. I miss the threat of getting sniped in those zones. There are too few of the snipers spawning.To me these zones should always feel threatening. Like incarnate snipers for those who have incarnate abilities and just regular snipers for those that don't. I also noticed that the damage received must have been reduced quite a bit as it was much more scary to have almost all your health lost from one sniper shot and to feel lucky if you got away.  I'm probably in the minority here, but I liked the threat and I liked preparing for it when I entered those zones, I always made sure I had a health inspiration and a break free for the high damage and stuns. Now I don't bother, and i miss the threat.

What are other heroes and villains thoughts?

Update:

Just flew around to see if I could find one and checked the damage received. At level 48, I received a sniper shot of 259.26 damage out of my 1011.4 hps, not very threatening. More annoying really, i almost didn't notice him right away and it was simply a cause to pause on my way somewhere, not a reason to stop and take him out to help save someone else the trouble. In my opinion a full 3 quarters of my health should have been hit, then there would be threat and if I didn't react in time, he could kill me, especially since the sniper was 50. However, 259.26 would take nearly 4 shots. No reason to stop, he will despawn and not bother anyone soon enough.

Edited by eldono
  • Like 3

I don't want them buffed.

Maybe it's because I'm a roleplayer and this would add a layer of annoyance to roleplaying in zones like Founder's or Peregrine, but I also don't want to deal with being stunned and almost one-shot while I'm moving in between missions.

They're fine as they are now.

• Like 1

Um, not for me. 

It's just really disruptive for my gameplay, where I'd rather being using my buffs and inspirations for missions and not wasting them because i got stunned out of the sky just trying to get back to a contact or going to a tailor. I don't miss them at all lol

• Like 1

It depends on the zone. The Rikti War Zone should be perilous. Peregrine Island is a city zone where civilians live, work and play. It makes sense that travel should be relatively safe there. Too much obvious danger ruins the immersion and harshes the mellow.

• Like 2

I honestly don't recall single snipers being all that deadly.  My pre-sunset kin/arch defender, the squishiest of my characters, could leap through FF without too much trouble - in fact, she used to "snipe hunt" on a pretty regular basis, risking an extra shot or two to triangulate the sniper.  I was only ever shot out of the sky when I was focused by multiple snipers and didn't find cover, either because I was still new to the zone, or because I was in a hurry to get somewhere.

That said, I haven't seen HC FF yet, so I don't know if it's been changed.

5 hours ago, Burnt Toast said:

Unfortunately the game has turned into an easy-mode version of Live....

I suspect a lot of that was because on the shadow "SCORE" server, the community was quite small, and changes were made to accommodate a low-population environment.  Now, it is a larger population, and I'm guessing some changes to reflect that will come eventually.  But, as we have said amongst ourselves for quite some time, these guys are volunteers as opposed to paid developers, so changes are not going to come as frequently, or be as encompassing as we might like.  Their main goal is to just keep things running.  They are doing fine there.  If things keep going well, perhaps we will see some changes that reflect a larger population scenario.

• Like 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

5 hours ago, mousestalker said:

It depends on the zone. The Rikti War Zone should be perilous. Peregrine Island is a city zone where civilians live, work and play. It makes sense that travel should be relatively safe there. Too much obvious danger ruins the immersion and harshes the mellow.

That always struck me as odd. Snipers in a residential zone, none in the RWZ?

• Haha 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

6 hours ago, mousestalker said:

It depends on the zone. The Rikti War Zone should be perilous. Peregrine Island is a city zone where civilians live, work and play. It makes sense that travel should be relatively safe there.

I don't think that, say, Nemesis scattering snipers around a residential zone with instructions to harass heroes is unreasonable, given the fact that you have groups of Council, Rikti, Circle of Thorns, and Crey standing around on the street, and Devouring Earth and more Circle of Thorns in the peripheral parkland. Expecting to be able to zip around the zone unmolested is about as reasonable as expecting to start at the tunnel from Talos Island, turn Walk on, and mosey down to the Icon tailor without getting in a fight.

Really needs to be a badge for 'arresting' these as well.  Whenever I have a bit of spare time and find myself in FF or PI, I always got looking for them and get rid of as many as I can. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

If a guy opening up on you at nearly point blank range with a shotgun or SMG/AR isn't that threatening, why should a sniper be all the more lethal?  Making snipers super dangerous would only serve to punish those who don't have some form of stealth...

Edited by biostem

17 minutes ago, Jaguaratron said:

They were only ever a threat to characters at the bottom end of the area level recommendations.

That's a good point.  What if all sniper-class mobs out in zones (as opposed to in missions) used the GM code to always con yellow, the way the Supa Trolls do in Skyway?

If the character is too low for the zone or minimum level for the zone then they need to be careful as snipers can be a problem.

But for characters that are at level 50 and/or defense capped for s/L qnd ranged then they shouldn't need to worry much about snipers unless they are in dark Astoria, rwz or an incarnate trial, or playing a mission on +3 or higher

Way back when CIty of Villains was being discussed but not even in beta yet, there was rampant speculation and forum discussion about how the mechanics of “your personal nemesis” would play out.  Of course, it never really did, but I dreamed of a game where a player on Redside (or Blue if reversed) would be able to target campaigns to combat their ‘Arch Nemesis.”  Like, setup a sniper/stalker per zone to specifically track and harass/ambush the other player.  Or cross-over and actually BE the end-map boss they were going to have to face off.  The thought of having Snipers actively targeting your player in zones because your arch-nemesis had directed them to do so would have been pretty compelling, and was an example used by many at the time to describe one way such a mechanic could have been enabled.  

Of course, the overwhelming number of players DESPISED anything to do with PVP so these ideas got nowhere.  But still, that kind of deep, personal interaction would have been pretty fun to see play out.

Edited by Crysis