Your "CoH Gap" Creations

_NOPE_

During the gap between when City of Heroes went dark on November 30, 2012, and when the Resurgence occurred, what did YOU create? Myself, almost all of my spare time has been building towards a project that I still won't see payoff for for at least another 12 years:

Spoiler

Will and Abby, born July 30th, 2013

image.thumb.png.b5975d31401a345a59cbf85d0f373393.png

image.thumb.png.568030ea08839e6d004340e8af99b026.png

image.thumb.png.87036418785368489167ed1924f38100.png

image.png.47459ac7881c14e24cfd8fb9550de500.png

image.png.5e5de840bf1b68fb5f6b0000738dfa05.png

image.png.faef61c357fc91f3e5442b8ee4c23ae5.png

So what have you made in the last sevenish years? 😄

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
I'm out.

Actually, I played SWTOR for a few years after CoH, but it never felt like it had the appeal of CoH.  I was already away from it by the time the second incarnation of CoH occurred.  However, as soon as I became aware of Icon, and later Paragon Chat, I went about re-creating a lot of my old L50 characters from memory.  By the time Homecoming became a reality, I had all of those costumes, and power profiles saved, making it possible to re-create them in the game very quickly.  Within an hour of logging back in for the first time, I had 15 of them created, stocked up from the P2W vendor, and standing in their first Day Job location.

As for real-life creativity/activity, I became a collector of Light Sabers from Star Wars.  My office walls, and shelves are running over with them after 10 years of collecting.  The latest 2 are pictured here.

Spoiler

Completed Display Box.jpg

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

Two degrees (bachelor and master's) and two children, kind of jumbled around in order there somewhat. One of the girls is entering college this fall, the other's just about two years away from it. Both of them are wonderful and make my life better in almost every way. I don't think either would be thrilled about having their pics shared on a nerd forum as late teens 🙂

Good thread PK.

If the timing seems weird, it is. We've been raising my nieces as ours for about 9 years or so, due their parents having some troubles. They don't seem any less mine for all of that though.

Edited by subbacultchas
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I played CoH Live with my 10 year old son off and on (my always on, his interests changed) during it's 8 year run.  It was a joy to do.

Since the shutdown, I've had another kiddo, and he and I get to do the same thing his big brother got to do...Makes me smile all the times

@The Philotic Knight those little ones are going to being paying off every year...every year is the best, and every year is a struggle...even after adulthood...Thanks for sharing the photos!

• Like 3

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I collected Vinyl Pops, not a ton of them because I had very specific requirements.

Spoiler

2GMFnDF.jpg

My sister and I bought a house and had these put in:

Spoiler

u3PDknb.jpg

I played:

Neverwinter Nights

The Secret World

Skyrim (finished)

Still Play:

SWToR (though not regularly)

Minecraft

• Like 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Due to financial and health reasons I couldn't be around at the end; I stepped away some time in 2010.  Between then and now I dealt with personal demons, updated a mod for an old game to a newer incarnation of the engine in the interests of historical preservation, started writing in earnest and got real good at it* but I can't link to any of it 'cause it breaks forum rules, and had a Roguelike phase and went real deep into first-person shooters.  Incredibly deep; you could name one and I could just talk about it with no prep time for a good while.

On the downside, all the places I used to work at are gone.  Like, the stores and companies do not exist any more.  But I do, so eat shit, cosmic entropy.

*I know humility is a virtue, but so is honesty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

I think this thread is the perfect example of why we need an Off Topic forum.  As interesting as all of these accomplishments and activities are, the justification for a connection to CoH is tenuous at best.  Posts of baby pictures, academic degrees, home improvement projects, other games played, etc., all need a proper home in Off Topic, rather than (CoH) General Discussion (subtitle:  "City of Heroes related General Discussion").

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I played CoH in my teens. I joined CoH pretty early. I remember when agro caps and ED were added, whenever that was.  I stop and started a few times, and I wasn't active in 2012 when the game was shut down.

I went from nerdy teenager to nerdy adult. I got a bachelors degree and PhD. I join the working world as a "real adult" in a week. I'm glad CoH wasn't around when I was in grad school. It came out right as I was submitting my dissertation and it took up way too much of my time.

Edited by HoundsTooth
  • Like 2

I make conlangs

This also explains why some of my characters do their banter in Nahuatl. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Back in the old days my forum name was Doctor Impossible. I didnt post much, but I read and lurked a lot. I was more interested in playing than posting I guess. But I recognize most of the names in here. Its comforting. I played a bit too much for my own good and when it shut down, I was glad. 

Since then I went back to single player console games. Then I assimilated a family, added two more kids of my own(for a total of 4) sold my business, changed my career, and moved back to my home area. 

Really glad it's back and it's really great to be back. Rolled a toon similar to an oldie I played on Pinn years ago with the same name and a guy on a team asked about the name and so forth and told me his old toon names. Turned out we had played together a lot. Made me feel good.

Great to be back, see all these familiar names and how everyone has been prospering.

Thanks for sharing,

Chet

Edited by ChetManly
  • Like 1

Did some writing for one of the CoH spiritual sequels, wrote some off-the-wall Doctor Who material for a now-defunct website, wrote a little bit about some obscure musical acts and some science stuff for a pop culture forum.  Probably the best received of all of these was a 13 chapter series of articles from last year where I taste-tested pumpkin spice products (I've since also created a pumpkin spice hero, yes) for that same pop culture forum thingy.

• Like 3

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Let's see...

• No finger anchors / spawnage
  • Finished my 3rd/last college in 2010
  • My 20yrs of retail was ended For me just before Xmas 2017
  • Beta tested that Marvel UA style game (and a few others) that eventually failed
  • "Smoke" tested the remastered Pegasus Prime for Mr. Yune before the released it on GoG
  • And who knows how much else...
  • Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 7/29/2019 at 7:14 PM, Blackbird71 said:

I think this thread is the perfect example of why we need an Off Topic forum.  As interesting as all of these accomplishments and activities are, the justification for a connection to CoH is tenuous at best.  Posts of baby pictures, academic degrees, home improvement projects, other games played, etc., all need a proper home in Off Topic, rather than (CoH) General Discussion (subtitle:  "City of Heroes related General Discussion").

Could not agree more and I still can't understand why there isn't one when there was on the original forums?

As long as we have the simple rules of no politics and religion discussion (as they ALWAYS descend into arguments and nastiness) I can't see why not?

And I know people have said that there are plenty of other forums out there to discuss comic books etc, yeah, there are, but I like this group of people as everyone here tends to get on well enough and the old forums OT forums was one of my favourite places on the internet to discuss geek stuff!

I really miss that old forum 😞

• Like 2

Oh, and to get back on topic, I didn't have anything as life changing as more children or a new house, our family life stayed very much the same.

I did lose my job a couple of times and was unemployed for a time, but I managed to get back into work and am happy where I work so that's good.

I played a LOT of games, tried a few MMO's but could never get into them like I did this game, the community sucked in all of them (especially WoW, my gods that place is toxic!) and a lot of offline single player games like Skyrim, the Witcher series, sooooooooooo much Civilzation 5 and 6 it's ridiculous 😄

I also got back into something I loved when I was younger, baking, with a particular love of doing birthday cakes for people, including a fair few geek based ones like these 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Points to anyone who recognises the last one especially 😉

• Like 2

Bought a house. Had a second kid (first was born in 2011). Moved to another state.

Rediscovered the fun of tabletop roleplaying games. Started developing a space opera game of my own that's stuck in limbo. Working on a new project now. I'm too ADD to finish any of these, of course...

Comp-game-wise, I lived in WoW for a while but it was never home. I play Overwatch with my wife a lot, although I have to only play against AI as I get too competitive when I play against other people.

I have a comic book I need to finish writing, too..

• Like 1

• Got engaged!
  • Became an officer in my business org on campus
  • Made some friends and lost other "friends"
  • Flew on a private plane to Port Aransas
  • Did a lot of catchin-up on RL things I missed out on growing up playing CoH 🤣
  • Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Well I didn't stick it out to 2012.  I stopeed playing COH about 2010 or so.  Since then I've played many MMOs for varying lengths of time (SWTOR, ESO, GW2, FF14, etc).

Outside of that I started learing to play guitar a year ago.  That's a process.

Also I've done a lot to further my IT career in getting a few certifications from Cisco, Aruba Networks, Sonicwall, and VMWare.

Had to redo my house as Hurricane Sandy flooded it out in 2012.

I have produced a LOT of carbon dioxide throughout.

Edited by Xeres
More stuff
  • Haha 1