Sets you would play but...

DR_Mechano

Not a fan of the psi blast sfx.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, DR_Mechano said:

Recently tried Kinetic Melee...and my god the sound effects get rather grating after a time.

Any sets you guys would try but found the sound effects just put you off the set?

I wish I could find a video of the original Kinetic Melee sounds. Right before the set went Live, they changed them all to the racecar melee sounds we have now and I'll never understand why.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

The Robots primary could replace pretty much any MM direct attack with something that turns the "clang clang clang" of their walking into something quieter, and I bet it would rank pretty high on the list.

You could call it "Robo-Sketchers" or even "techno-stilettos" for the sophisticated MM out for a night on the town with his posse.

1 hour ago, quixoteprog said:

The Robots primary could replace pretty much any MM direct attack with something that turns the "clang clang clang" of their walking into something quieter, and I bet it would rank pretty high on the list.

You could call it "Robo-Sketchers" or even "techno-stilettos" for the sophisticated MM out for a night on the town with his posse.

>Dissing the CLOMP-CLOMP-CLOMP-CLOMP-CLOMP-CLOMP

Get out.

• Like 1

It's usually not sounds for me as much as visuals.  There are a lot of powersets, mostly with regards to Melee set options (though not entirely limited to them), where I feel like there's just one power that's really very important to the set as a whole, but has an animation I really hate (for example, Shin Breaker in Street Justice, Concentrated Strike in Kinetic Melee, Follow Up in Claws), or in some cases, which goes the opposite way with a somewhat weak power compared to the rest of the set but has an animation I really want to have in my repertoire (Thunder Kick in MA, Slash in Broadsword), and I cannot reconcile my ability to play a "strong" character with my dislike of the animation, to the point I can't enjoy playing the set at all, unfortunately for me. 

This is probably good for my altitis, but bad for my ability to enjoy almost any of my melee characters since the restart (despite being pretty melee-inclined back in the day).

Edited by Lazarillo

I don't play Sonic because the sound effects of the sigh right before each power activation don't appeal to me.

On the other hand, Energy Blast's "pew-pew-pew, Rah-ah-ah" once got on my nerves, but they're just so damn fun to play that it's grown on me.

Meanwhile, I think Dual Pistols, which is my current favourite, could use a higher caliber SFX as it sounds like a 22. Also, a suppressor option would be nice. But now I'm just splitting hairs.

3 hours ago, Carnifax said:

When I remade Carni she was a Demon MM. 20 levels of "Raar. Raar. Raar" and she went back to being an Illusion controller. Phants are quiet. 

Create a macro that includes petsayall em eat, then use powexectray to easily trigger the macro, and you'll eliminate the issue.

As for me, I just cannot tolerate the psi blast sounds for extended periods of time, so that set is a hard pass for me.  Similarly, illusion's lack of decent control abilities early on make that set quite un-fun, (for me).

Playing at low volume, I've discovered that Static Field's sfx produces this annoying, irregular ticky scritchy sound just on the edge of my hearing. It's also stereo, so it creates the effect of random insects skittering around nearby.

Back during Ye Olde Days, I had wanted to make a Sonic Corruptor, but the Sonic sound effects were migraine-triggering. Fortunately another player was willing to modify them, and I wound up with a set of less painful Sonic sounds. I really need to check and see if I'm still bothered by Sonic, and if so, if those sound files will work now (I still have those, and a few other modifications saved). That was the only one I wanted, but was absolutely unable, to play due to sound effects. There's a few others with sounds that annoy me, but those Sonic ones would have me shut off the game because my day was shot.

7 hours ago, Shazzie said:

Back during Ye Olde Days, I had wanted to make a Sonic Corruptor, but the Sonic sound effects were migraine-triggering. Fortunately another player was willing to modify them, and I wound up with a set of less painful Sonic sounds. I really need to check and see if I'm still bothered by Sonic, and if so, if those sound files will work now (I still have those, and a few other modifications saved). That was the only one I wanted, but was absolutely unable, to play due to sound effects. There's a few others with sounds that annoy me, but those Sonic ones would have me shut off the game because my day was shot.

Oddly enough, the Sonic Resonance visuals cause migraines for me.  Electric Armor and Electric Control's Conductive Aura as well.  I assume it's related to the speed of the pulses.  Electric Melee and Blast are fine, though.  It's a shame, I really wanted to play an Electric Control sapper.

13 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

It's usually not sounds for me as much as visuals.  There are a lot of powersets, mostly with regards to Melee set options (though not entirely limited to them), where I feel like there's just one power that's really very important to the set as a whole, but has an animation I really hate (for example, Shin Breaker in Street Justice, Concentrated Strike in Kinetic Melee, Follow Up in Claws), or in some cases, which goes the opposite way with a somewhat weak power compared to the rest of the set but has an animation I really want to have in my repertoire (Thunder Kick in MA, Slash in Broadsword), and I cannot reconcile my ability to play a "strong" character with my dislike of the animation, to the point I can't enjoy playing the set at all, unfortunately for me. 

This is probably good for my altitis, but bad for my ability to enjoy almost any of my melee characters since the restart (despite being pretty melee-inclined back in the day).

By contrast I love Shin breaker in Street Justice for the exact reason that it's often a follow up to Crushing Uppercut which means the enemy is on the floor and it looks less like a whimpy stomp of someones feet and instead usually looks like a brutal head stomp.

No question for me, Titan Weapons.  I HATE the slooooooooow animations you're stuck with most of the time, the fast animation versions don't last long and you're back to sloooooooooooow.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

5 hours ago, DR_Mechano said:

By contrast I love Shin breaker in Street Justice for the exact reason that it's often a follow up to Crushing Uppercut which means the enemy is on the floor and it looks less like a whimpy stomp of someones feet and instead usually looks like a brutal head stomp.

Yeah, that makes it work better, admittedly.  It also makes me think it would be a neat mechanic if the attack could be flagged to auto-crit someone after they were knocked down, or something (prolly not).

But it's just really awkward for me because it certainly doesn't look like an attack that could one-shot a guy if you critical with it at the start of a fight (which it can!).

• Like 1