Costume Request Thread!

QueenBethari

Hi.  I'm trying to create a Water/Fire blaster where the Water is RP'd as air.  His name is Air Friar.  I'd like him to look as much like a stereotypical friar/monk as possible.  Below are some images that show what I have in mind.  Is there any costume pieces that would resemble the friar robe at all?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

priest or monk wearing brown hooded gown vector illustration design

Illustration of a Franciscan friar on a white background.

• Like 2

There is some dithering in that regard but a Cassock is usually black, has buttons in front,

is fitted and has no hood whereas Habits can be brown or black, have no buttons, can be more

voluminous and often add a cowl/hood as well. Nuns also wear a habit but add a wimple (their hat).

As Vulpoid above suggested the robes are geared more towards Asiatic style monks so the closest I could

find, though it's a bit on the short side, was a combination of the "Baggy" top a corded waist and a Kilt.

You can also use Baggy pants and a cape to suggest the long robe shape but it's obviously detached

and separates the legs. With the kilt you can add wrapped gloves but I found the tied look more

like simple homespun and match the white cord belt better. Full beard works but I kind of

prefer the neck beard the Resistance gets. Depending on the expression you're going for

there are several faces that will do the job. This one looks the most "Monastic" to me.

HJZLGwG9_o.jpg

01friar.costume

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

18 minutes ago, Magnarsh said:

.................................I love how a new look can make you fall in love with an old all over again.

@Magnarsh Is there a request for help in here somewhere or

were you meaning to post over in this other thread?

• Thanks 3

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 4/10/2021 at 2:01 AM, Shocktacular said:

... I know you said you wanted to keep the cybertech top, but hear me out...
The "Fire and Ice" fire top looks like glowing lava!
I tried a version of this with that fiery backpack, too, but I don't really think it needs it.

I used the seismic path aura colored orange to suggest that the extreme heat she puts out is causing the ground to crack and even melt a little.

I hope you like it!
 kilauea.thumb.png.64d6ba2e6b13bada067f6dd46bfe60e9.png

kilauea.costume 7.39 kB · 10 downloads

Wow!  I’m using this for my “Priestess of Pele” Fire/Fire/Fire Sentinel.  Fitting as she’s the Sentinel Guardian of the Cult to Tutu Pele!

• Thanks 1

To follow up on @Christopher Robin's post regarding Air Friar, the "Martial Arts 3" robe might work as well.  You'll have to ignore the buttons, but it helps to sort of cover up that sporran on the kilt (the pouch in front).  Sort of - it'll still peek out a bit when you do... well, anything. 😩

Some of the baggier pants options may be worth checking out also.  They're not at all robe-like, but the "Japanese" style pants in particular might be close enough for guvmint work.

• Thanks 2

@DJFMOkay here's my take on Bart. I gave him paler skin, a more weathered face, a faint eye glow

demon ears and I widened his jaw and chin to give him more menace. Went with a hairy chest

open blood red shirt and matching padded boots with gold and bronze accents sprinkled

throughout. Tossed in a pair of gold and black swords to round out the look (I made

him a Dual Wield/Willpower scrapper). Note the pant cuffs have collision issues

with most of the boots but with these it is less egregious and looks like he

tied a wide strip of red cloth at the cuff & then tied gold rope over it.

I love the FX on the cape as the skull & bones fade in and out. zb7XgP0P_o.png

7xWqTIkG_o.jpg           71eUYRLx_o.jpg

01Bart.costume

• Like 6

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 4/24/2021 at 2:06 PM, Christopher Robin said:

There is some dithering in that regard but a Cassock is usually black, has buttons in front,

is fitted and has no hood whereas Habits can be brown or black, have no buttons, can be more

voluminous and often add a cowl/hood as well. Nuns also wear a habit but add a wimple (their hat).

As Vulpoid above suggested the robes are geared more towards Asiatic style monks so the closest I could

find, though it's a bit on the short side, was a combination of the "Baggy" top a corded waist and a Kilt.

You can also use Baggy pants and a cape to suggest the long robe shape but it's obviously detached

and separates the legs. With the kilt you can add wrapped gloves but I found the tied look more

like simple homespun and match the white cord belt better. Full beard works but I kind of

prefer the neck beard the Resistance gets. Depending on the expression you're going for

there are several faces that will do the job. This one looks the most "Monastic" to me.

HJZLGwG9_o.jpg

01friar.costume 6.74 kB · 6 downloads

This is great!  Thanks so much!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, optimistic said:

This is great!  Thanks so much!

You're welcome Optimistic. zb7XgP0P_o.png

8 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

I am pretty sure you both just made Lemmy from Motorhead.

Well then it must be time to play... TIME TO PLAY THE GAME! kYftkbzZ_o.gif

See what I did there? Because City of Heroes is a game...

you know, that you play... no? I'll see myself out then. rs4wmRnk_o.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

07K1tHnz_o.png

Oh cool, didn't know this thread existed. Been trying to make two costumes lately and sort of snagged on both. I'd love to see any other ideas just to help my brain cells work. First is a Yakuza Mistress who by day is a powerful business woman, but when needed slips on her old street clothes and oni mask, and fights better than any of her gangster minions. I've been using a Carnival mask with some horns to get the oni effect, but can't quite get a look I like as a yakuza/deliquent street fighter.  The other thing im trying to make is a nice ferocious shark girl stalker to go with the name Blood-Thirsty. If anyone has an idea, i'd love to see it/brainstorm it!

Please can we have a simple cape pattern that's just a big star in the middle of a plain background? 

This would look good on single shoulder capes as well as others who use stars as their motif.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

6 hours ago, Thayn said:

The other thing im trying to make is a nice ferocious shark girl stalker to go with the name Blood-Thirsty. If anyone has an idea, i'd love to see it/brainstorm it!

I tried this one (obviously heavily inspired by Captain Mako).  I used the slime aura in red for blood.  The red around her jaw is supposed to be a mess left over from feeding.  I put some lighter grey in there to keep it from being too boring (and b/c I thought it looked right).
I hope you like it!

sharkgirl.png

shark girl.costume

• Like 2

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

1 hour ago, Shocktacular said:

I tried this one (obviously heavily inspired by Captain Mako).  I used the slime aura in red for blood.  The red around her jaw is supposed to be a mess left over from feeding.  I put some lighter grey in there to keep it from being too boring (and b/c I thought it looked right).
I hope you like it!

sharkgirl.png

shark girl.costume 6.66 kB · 0 downloads

Wow I love the colors! This definitely has some of the ideas I was using. But the blood/slime bit is pretty cool! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks! This helps my process.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thayn said:

The other thing im trying to make is a nice ferocious shark girl stalker to go with the name Blood-Thirsty. If anyone has an idea, i'd love to see it/brainstorm it!

Welcome to the thread!

I had a lot of similar ideas to @Shocktacular, especially re: blood. Great minds and all that, I guess! This actually used my own shark-based character as a starting point, but I made some changes to nudge it in a more sinister and threatening and generally bloody direction (and made it female, obviously). The Lace cape is meant to suggest a fishing net or maybe the rigging of a ship she destroyed; I'm not sure it quite accomplishes that but I thought it was cool anyway and it should look neat trailing behind her during melee attack animations. I added some blue because, well, I thought it needed more color and sharks live in the water. There's also a Wake aura in the costume file (though that doesn't show in the editor) for the same reason.

I'll take a stab at your other request in a separate reply.

shark.png

shark1.png

smileyousonofa.costume

• Like 3

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

11 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

@Thayn Welcome to the best part of the forums! zb7XgP0P_o.png

some cool stuff going on here! And I love collabs for costumes, people always manage to find things I miss or have killer ideas!

• Like 2