Costume Request Thread!

QueenBethari

9 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

Welcome to the thread!

I had a lot of similar ideas to @Shocktacular, especially re: blood. Great minds and all that, I guess! This actually used my own shark-based character as a starting point, but I made some changes to nudge it in a more sinister and threatening and generally bloody direction (and made it female, obviously). The Lace cape is meant to suggest a fishing net or maybe the rigging of a ship she destroyed; I'm not sure it quite accomplishes that but I thought it was cool anyway and it should look neat trailing behind her during melee attack animations. I added some blue because, well, I thought it needed more color and sharks live in the water. There's also a Wake aura in the costume file (though that doesn't show in the editor) for the same reason.

I'll take a stab at your other request in a separate reply.

shark.png

shark1.png

smileyousonofa.costume 7.44 kB · 0 downloads

That tights type does really pop on a costume like this, and oh how I wish I could have monstrous fingers with some sort of fin T_T. Thanks though, this is really helping me out!

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 7:48 AM, Thayn said:

First is a Yakuza Mistress who by day is a powerful business woman, but when needed slips on her old street clothes and oni mask, and fights better than any of her gangster minions. I've been using a Carnival mask with some horns to get the oni effect, but can't quite get a look I like as a yakuza/deliquent street fighter.

Opportunities to use two costume pieces here that I'm a big fan of but that don't fit a lot of concepts, the Oni Guard and Yakuza top with tattoos! So obviously they're both in here. I played with the idea of just putting her in business attire (including a pencil skirt) from the waist down, like she'd just take her jacket off, put the mask on and go, but it wasn't working. Presumably she has a bathroom in her office she can use to change.

It's unfortunate that the Oni Guard isn't a standalone piece, but we'll work with what we have. I was going for something that looks like a mask that slips over the top of the head rather than a true helmet-helmet, hopefully I pulled that off. Death goggles matched with the creepy round eyes you see in a lot of depictions of oni, but sadly it meant I had to choose between that and horns, thus the maedate crest. There's a gap between the top and bottom halves of her mask which I camouflaged with a colored face pattern underneath.

I removed it before taking screenshots for visibility, but in the costume file there's an aura on the eyes as well -- you didn't mention any supernatural aspects to the character (which is also why I didn't give her the awesome glowing version of the Yakuza top), but I wanted something to draw a viewer's eye toward her face, make the mask the visual "centerpiece" of the whole design.

Hope this helps!

yakuza.png

yakuza1.png

likeadragon.costume

• Like 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

On 5/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, Thayn said:

Oh cool, didn't know this thread existed. Been trying to make two costumes lately and sort of snagged on both. I'd love to see any other ideas just to help my brain cells work. First is a Yakuza Mistress who by day is a powerful business woman, but when needed slips on her old street clothes and oni mask, and fights better than any of her gangster minions. I've been using a Carnival mask with some horns to get the oni effect, but can't quite get a look I like as a yakuza/deliquent street fighter.  The other thing im trying to make is a nice ferocious shark girl stalker to go with the name Blood-Thirsty. If anyone has an idea, i'd love to see it/brainstorm it!

riffing off of @Shocktacular for the sharkgirl. It sure is hard to pin down the look of a Japanese delinquent. I guess she covers her tattoos with makeup for the business look. . . might've been an oversight
onishgif.thumb.gif.676bbe42cd69348c51a84b634b79e33c.gif

Edited by Yellowjacket
  • Like 8

On 4/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, optimistic said:

His name is Air Friar. 

image.png.093576cdd798aa85844b07bf763183ae.png could do something like this Monk.costume

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 5/1/2021 at 9:48 AM, Thayn said:

Oh cool, didn't know this thread existed.

Right? The first time I saw it I was like oh I wonder what this thread is on about and then I almost spilled my tea as I saw page after page of amazing costumes all being made to help out others. Great stuff all round people and CR this one in particular is truly stellar!

On 4/21/2021 at 3:45 PM, Christopher Robin said:

nfRxN3fY_o.jpg

Okay so keep the headpiece but something that "pops" more.

You know other than using straight color to make something pop

you can let contrast & the shapes/contours do the heavy lifting for you.

For me at distance read my eyes are drawn to the gold of the belt and gloves.

I took the gold from there & moved it up to her head to draw the focal point up.

I then changed the belt to a purple sash with silver ring to blend back in and changed

the gloves to a more bulky design to add flair to her silhouette. I changed her hairstyle to

something that didn't collide with the head gear so much and it also added to the V shaped

point neck/collar piece by making it more of a triple point or even heart shaped in the negative

space with her cleavage. Went with a different mask to open up the area around her eyes and bring

the neck V up onto her face and chin also so more about the design reads as "pointy" from a distance.

Finally I changed her boots to have Barbarian Fur adding more diagonal white shapes to match the

shoulder Bolero shape and then added the rings on instead of bindings to match her belt ring.

Overall I think it "pops" more & reads better at distance without losing the color scheme. 

As for bridging the gap maybe keep some less impressive items like the simple cloth

wrapped gloves she hung on to rather than replace with fancy golden gauntlets?

Anywho that's my take on her @Sovereigne and you have several other great

options here to incorporate into your design. Best of luck with your Bio! zb7XgP0P_o.png

01Roulette.costume 6.92 kB · 10 downloads

and I am doubly covetous of that custom gaming system you built!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TimTomlin said:

The first time I saw it I was like oh I wonder what this thread is on about and then I almost spilled my tea

So a mug full of "curiosi-tea" nearly became a "calami-tea." HmWYqjbR_o.gif

2 minutes ago, TimTomlin said:

...............................CR this one in particular is truly stellar!

On 4/21/2021 at 3:45 PM, Christopher Robin said:

nfRxN3fY_o.jpg

Okay so keep the headpiece but something that "pops" more.

You know other than using straight color to make something pop

you can let contrast & the shapes/contours do the heavy lifting for you.

For me at distance read my eyes are drawn to the gold of the belt and gloves.

I took the gold from there & moved it up to her head to draw the focal point up.

I then changed the belt to a purple sash with silver ring to blend back in and changed

the gloves to a more bulky design to add flair to her silhouette. I changed her hairstyle to

something that didn't collide with the head gear so much and it also added to the V shaped

point neck/collar piece by making it more of a triple point or even heart shaped in the negative

space with her cleavage. Went with a different mask to open up the area around her eyes and bring

the neck V up onto her face and chin also so more about the design reads as "pointy" from a distance.

Finally I changed her boots to have Barbarian Fur adding more diagonal white shapes to match the

shoulder Bolero shape and then added the rings on instead of bindings to match her belt ring.

Overall I think it "pops" more & reads better at distance without losing the color scheme. 

As for bridging the gap maybe keep some less impressive items like the simple cloth

wrapped gloves she hung on to rather than replace with fancy golden gauntlets?

Anywho that's my take on her @Sovereigne and you have several other great

options here to incorporate into your design. Best of luck with your Bio! zb7XgP0P_o.png

01Roulette.costume 6.92 kB · 10 downloads

and I am doubly covetous of that custom gaming system you built!

Thanks I'm glad you like her TimTomlin and welcome to the best part of the forums. zb7XgP0P_o.png

Are you talking about the one I play on or one of the others?

15 hours ago, Thayn said:

some cool stuff going on here! And I love collabs for costumes, people always manage to find things I miss or have killer ideas!

Indeed. I enjoy them too, I'm working on a collab right now in my art thread. zb7XgP0P_o.png

On 5/1/2021 at 6:46 PM, biostem said:

Here's my take on your concept.  I hope you like it!

oni-bobbi2.costume 7.04 kB · 0 downloads

Sooo... an "Oni-bobbi girl?" Is she also composed of a comedic polymer

and finding her arrangement to be based in fantasy? 07K1tHnz_o.png

On 5/1/2021 at 12:40 PM, Herotu said:

Please can we have a simple cape pattern that's just a big star in the middle of a plain background? 

This would look good on single shoulder capes as well as others who use stars as their motif.

I think you might be looking for this thread here.

23 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

...................................................................The Lace cape is meant to suggest a fishing net or maybe the rigging of a ship she destroyed; I'm not sure it quite accomplishes that but I thought it was cool anyway and it should look neat trailing behind her during melee attack animations...............................

Great (white?) idea Mjolnerd.

14 hours ago, Thayn said:

some cool stuff going on here! And I love collabs for costumes, people always manage to find things I miss or have killer ideas!

3 hours ago, Thayn said:

Wow these are fantastic. Like thanks so much for the input, costume selections. You guys/gals are fantastic at this!

I was meaning the whole "Art and Multimedia" section, it's like every other

part of the forums except we also have all the best Artz, Stories, Bios, and Costumes.

But yeah this thread is pretty great too and there are some

really helpful costume wizards lurking about.

11 hours ago, Yellowjacket said:

riffing off of @Shocktacular for the sharkgirl. It sure is hard to pin down the look of a Japanese delinquent. I guess she covers her tattoos with makeup for the business look. . . might've been an oversight

Nice work on both of these though I'm surprised you didn't

swap the color of her top with the color of her eye glow.  07K1tHnz_o.png

• Haha 6

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 4/26/2021 at 8:22 AM, Christopher Robin said:

@DJFMOkay here's my take on Bart. I gave him paler skin, a more weathered face, a faint eye glow

demon ears and I widened his jaw and chin to give him more menace. Went with a hairy chest

open blood red shirt and matching padded boots with gold and bronze accents sprinkled

throughout. Tossed in a pair of gold and black swords to round out the look (I made

him a Dual Wield/Willpower scrapper). Note the pant cuffs have collision issues

with most of the boots but with these it is less egregious and looks like he

tied a wide strip of red cloth at the cuff & then tied gold rope over it.

I love the FX on the cape as the skull & bones fade in and out. zb7XgP0P_o.png

7xWqTIkG_o.jpg           71eUYRLx_o.jpg

01Bart.costume 7.8 kB · 9 downloads

Great design! Thank you! I've changed a few things but overall it's the same 😄

Barti Ddu

xwaQwPc.png

On 4/26/2021 at 10:13 AM, Vulpoid said:

I am pretty sure you both just made Lemmy from Motorhead.

24talk-articleLarge-v5.jpg

Seen it as soon as I picked the head options 😄

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

though I'm surprised you didn't

swap the color of her top with the color of her eye glow.  07K1tHnz_o.png

looked back expecting a bad joke, was not disapointed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Seen2BeGreen said:

what's funny about swapping yellow and green?

Because then she would be wearing a "Yellow Jacket" get it? 

Yeah that whole post is pretty much CR in a nutshell. Take a generous artist and costume aficionado, add in a genuinely helpful tour guide, combine with a pro computer builder and a giant sack of terrible puns, stir vigorously and voila. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Seen2BeGreen said:

what's funny about swapping yellow and green?

by Yellowjacket

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

15 minutes ago, Troo said:

by Yellowjacket

*groan* thanks Troo.

20 minutes ago, Icanav said:

Because then she would be wearing a "Yellow Jacket" get it? 

Yeah that whole post is pretty much CR in a nutshell. Take a generous artist and costume aficionado, add in a genuinely helpful tour guide, combine with a pro computer builder and a giant sack of terrible puns, stir vigorously and voila. 

Almost sorry I asked LOL! Throw in hoster of fun contests and yeeeap, summed him right up!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

So after taking a look at the shark costumes left here for me, and playing with stuff a bit. This is where I've ended up atm, not sure which skin texture looks better yet, and I think I like hair more than the fin, just cause no hair weirds me out. But thanks so much for the input! I'm just trying to figure out the colors and skin texture now!

shark gorl 2.png

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 1:22 PM, Yellowjacket said:

onishgif.thumb.gif.676bbe42cd69348c51a84b634b79e33c.gif

Which blue is that on the shark toon?

22 hours ago, Thayn said:

So after taking a look at the shark costumes left here for me, and playing with stuff a bit. This is where I've ended up atm, not sure which skin texture looks better yet, and I think I like hair more than the fin, just cause no hair weirds me out. But thanks so much for the input! I'm just trying to figure out the colors and skin texture now!

shark gorl 2.png

I tried to work this one and just ended up with shark Lobo:

shl.thumb.GIF.d2103576f2feb17c434243ac76fc00a7.GIF
just for fun:
shp.thumb.GIF.3478414834a45da5db982639fce70cc7.GIFsh.thumb.GIF.a7d170dc3f7a7b595ceacbe842140b31.GIF
P.S. the blue is L10

Edited by Yellowjacket
  • Like 3

Anyone have any good designs for a cheerleader hero? Thinking of mixing cheerleading uniform with classic hero look, cape/mask etc. The idea is for an energetic, supportive heroine who would help boost up her teammates.

9 hours ago, Zan said:

Anyone have any good designs for a cheerleader hero? Thinking of mixing cheerleading uniform with classic hero look, cape/mask etc. The idea is for an energetic, supportive heroine who would help boost up her teammates.

It's tempting to just... make a cheerleader here, but "cheerleader-themed superhero" is a little more interesting. I started with shirts too, but wasn't liking anything I came up with, so I dropped them in favor of a tights pattern that suggests a traditional cheerleading sweater with long sleeves but a "bare" midriff. I extended that logic to the lower body and tried to find a boots pattern that looked a bit like knee-high socks because I associate that look with cheerleaders but didn't want to literally put her in knee-high socks. And before anyone asks -- or tries to check without making it obvious you're checking even though it's totally obvious to everyone that you're checking -- YES, she has a Bikini tights pattern under the skirt.

Not knowing her school colors, I went with blue and white, not because they were my school colors (though they were), but because if she's cheering for heroes, those are the "hero team colors" in CoH. Statesman chest logo for similar reasons.

It's very important to smile.

I started with pigtails but ended up with Feisty, either way it should keep clipping issues with the cape to a minimum.

cheer.png

CHEERocracy.costume

Edited by Mjolnerd

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

On 5/9/2021 at 1:35 AM, Zan said:

Anyone have any good designs for a cheerleader hero? Thinking of mixing cheerleading uniform with classic hero look, cape/mask etc......................

So I went in a slightly different direction. Meet the Cheer-o-practor!

She'll turn your team's frown upside down and give both a villain's bad

attitude & his spine a nice adjustment with her glowy PomPoms of Justice! 07K1tHnz_o.png

UZMqHmp1_o.jpgdvD7hnhq_o.jpg

Cheer-o-practor.costume

• Like 5

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png