So we're getting new archetypes?

Varkarrus

• 1 month later

It's bad enough they were silly enough to put tank mages in the game.  ::)

Now you want to do melee damage AND range damage AND summon pets?  Madness...

They are far from Tanks. The only class I can compare them to, is the garbage class. They are the most pointless class in this game IMO. They are good for themes, that's about it. I think that class would shine if it was a team of Sentinels though. They would probably do well as an all Sent team. Other than that, I simply cant find a use for one.

I would love to see an assault/summon AT or something like that. I think it would be really cool to have all kinds of wild combinations. Assault sets I think have a lot of potential here - Assault/Defense or Assault/Support would both be interesting to play, I bet.

Still hoping for a freeform where you can choose any primary/secondardy set and a 'role' for +/- flavor.

Yes, some things would have to be worked out, but it is the 'original' CoH idea and I love it.

IIRC, it got canned because you could make characters who could not solo, or even have any attacks.

IMO, this would rock!

And no, it is not my intent to 'game the system and make more tank-mages'.

I love the creativity and flexibility.

Clamps on numbers to make it enjoyable would be the fun part to build. :)

One day I might find the time.

Like there aren't powersets that were already available that completely blow away the capabilities of the Sentinel. If anything, Sentinels are underpowered.

I get it. Some people just don't like the idea of it, but other people do, and crapping all over someone else's preferred playstyle isn't exactly constructive.

Like there aren't powersets that were already available that completely blow away the capabilities of the Sentinel. If anything, Sentinels are underpowered.

I get it. Some people just don't like the idea of it, but other people do, and crapping all over someone else's preferred playstyle isn't exactly constructive.

Right there with you.

Tried a few Sentinels because I like the idea.

They are treated like some sort of 'cheat' AT by some people, yet in reality, IMO, they are far from being tank-mages.

I have played many other ATs that blow them away, IME, while filling a hole concept wise, in game they are very 'meh'.

There was a post early on this board, I think, along the lines of "players can never be trusted to make game/rule choices".

With this kind in binary, 'closed' thinking, we would never have games.

So a (new) AT/power/combo is over or under tuned for a while or even indefinately?

So what?

Even now there are lots of 'arguably superior' combos...those are not the only ones played.

If someone loves Sentenals, awesome, they are having fun.

Why should anyone care who added them or who uses them?

VEATs already do that.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

Still hoping for a freeform where you can choose any primary/secondardy set and a 'role' for +/- flavor.

Pretty sure that would be a power balancing nightmare.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Not sure.

The way some of the underlying multipliers for ATs work, the right kind of 'role' mods might do it.

Total speculation until I see the code, really. :)

And personally, I would clamp down any real outliers a little, but I would not expect such a system to be capable of producing 'balanced' chracters, because I don't really see that as a hard requirement.

Close would be fine for me.

If you pick two non-offensive powersets, then perhaps you should be planning a super team where others will be DPS.

Provided 'one combo does not rule them all', I think it would be fun.

Champions Online does it, though that's as a real-money thing (which they occasionally give away), so it's doable.

Champions Online does it, though that's as a real-money thing (which they occasionally give away), so it's doable.

CO was designed around it.

This game was not. I am honestly glad it wasn't.

This game was not. I am honestly glad it wasn't.

Was sad when I heard the idea was dropped in Beta.

Personally prefer classless type RPG mechanics, especially for Supers, to make unique characters.

Classes and prescribed roles in MMOs can be so limiting.

But what works in some places does not always translate to an MMO, especially one that has to make money.

It seems most gamers prefer classes and levels, that's what gets made.

Would this mean I could make a Ninja/SR Scrapper, Emp/Pain Brute, or a Dark Melee/Fire Blast Blaster! If those things are possible, then f*** yes, I'm in. Screw balance. Let me take my attackless Scrapper or ultimate suicidal Blapper and laugh in the face of xp debt.

EATs were already kinda "tankmages."  Also, I'm pretty sure Sentinel damage is actually rather low when compared to the other ranged classes.  Of all the things done thus far in Homecoming that raise my ire, Sentinels get a great big "Eh" from me.  They're novel, they're functional, but I'd rather play a Corruptor.

Right there with you.

Tried a few Sentinels because I like the idea.

They are treated like some sort of 'cheat' AT by some people, yet in reality, IMO, they are far from being tank-mages.

I have played many other ATs that blow them away, IME, while filling a hole concept wise, in game they are very 'meh'.

There was a post early on this board, I think, along the lines of "players can never be trusted to make game/rule choices".

With this kind in binary, 'closed' thinking, we would never have games.

So a (new) AT/power/combo is over or under tuned for a while or even indefinately?

So what?

Even now there are lots of 'arguably superior' combos...those are not the only ones played.

If someone loves Sentenals, awesome, they are having fun.

Why should anyone care who added them or who uses them?

It's like these people have never played a blizzard game when they introduce a new class or character. Have to keep them OP for at least a few patch cycles to make sure people reroll!