Game seems way to easy.

Dahkness

It's never been especially difficult, but the tools are there to challenge yourself if you want. Most pre 50 teams will struggle on +4/x8 vs any group or tougher enemies like first ward/night ward.

You can also just do things with teams smaller than 8 people (while still set to x8 of course).

If you're talking full teams of incarnates then yeah, it's all easy. But that's your hero's peak, it's supposed to be easy. You could always try the tougher iTrials or Hami with the smallest allowed team sizes, or just see how much top end content you can solo.

• Like 1

I think that fast flowing XP has got everyone multiple Incarnate abilities and lots of money has purchased multiple Attuned sets.  And those have made the game easier.

It's also possible that player ability and knowledge is much higher.  We're all pretty much old hands here.  Even at lower levels I seem to get smart players on the balance.  No matter what our composition, we all pretty much just roll over the competition even at low levels, but I don't think the mobs are easier, I think the players just know what they're doing.

My suggestion: if possible/feasible, add a "hard" server.  Slower XP at least (and much slower incarnate XP). Maybe add 10% to hit and damage to mobs across the board.  Something like that.  Just make it a bit more challenging for players who want a bit more of a challenge.  Also redo the market so some things are not automatically available, but instead can be earned more slowly with Merits or some other type of in-game currency.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

My suggestion: if possible/feasible, add a "hard" server.  Slower XP at least (and much slower incarnate XP). Maybe add 10% to hit and damage to mobs across the board.  Something like that.  Just make it a bit more challenging for players who want a bit more of a challenge.  Also redo the market so some things are not automatically available, but instead can be earned more slowly with Merits or some other type of in-game currency.

This just makes the game into a tedious boring slog, not a challenge.

• Like 8

You're always steam rolling until you don't notice the War Walker in that one mob, or you go up against some Malta.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

9 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

Use the flashback system and give the goons a buff. Or player debuff. Or both. 

Or any of the other challenge settings in Ouro.

Edited by Lunchmoney
  • Like 5

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

Atm, the game is accessible for every class and archytype as well as those with and without ios and incarnate abilties at any level. Increasing the difficulty would mean having every archytype being balanced in terms of buffs, debufffs and damage to ensure that no one class gets left behind. I dont want to see groups hand picking who they will or will not take just because what powers you choose no longer are viable.

So, as a peacebringer, will I be set aside because blasters do more damage or dwarf form cant tank as well as either tank or brute. Will brutes be passed over for tanks, will empathy be needed in every group making bubble or sonic defenders etc less desirable.

If you want to make it harder, there are so many other options available to you, choose different power pools, dont use incarnates or ios.

• Like 3

If they could add the Ouro settings to the normal difficulty settings to buff enemies and debuff players that would be handy. Especially if the increased difficulty were rewarded the same as normal content (so only people who were really testing themselves needed to use it).

The other alternative that the OP could try is an under-performing AT/Build and play with that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

My suggestion: if possible/feasible, add a "hard" server.  Slower XP at least (and much slower incarnate XP). Maybe add 10% to hit and damage to mobs across the board.  Something like that.

To be fair, you can more or less do that right now by ticking "enemies buffed" on every TF / ouro story arc, and not using the P2W double XP.

Likewise, it's significantly harder to fight (say) PPD Peacebringers or Rularuu than Council or Freakshow. But people will pick Council or Freakshow.

Players will go for the path of least resistance. There needs to be a carrot to encourage them otherwise. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to add more vanity rewards for hard content, badges have been successful in nudging players towards harder tasks.

• Like 1

If we could easily run +4/x8 Vanguard, Rularuu or Dark Astoria content with SO builds, then I guess there would be a pressing need to explore harder difficulty options. Right now, though, at the point where you can deal with those types of enemy groups with relative ease you're probably looking at a full team of IO'd incarnates which by definition have "beaten the game". 

I'm not necessarily completely satisfied with the way the end game groups are made "difficult" nor the fact that there's basically no incentive to fight them over easy mobs like Council, but more difficult stuff does exist if you want to go for it.

• Like 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

1 hour ago, Sanguinesun said:

It is only as easy as you choose to make it. 

Yep. The suggestions for Ouroboros content are good ones. If you exemplar down to lower levels you may also find that simply not having your lvl50/incarnate powers offers a challenge, even without applying buff/debuff/restrictions.

37 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

I think the bottom line is, there are challenges out there to be found if you want them. 😎

Totally agree.

IMO, what these posts really boil down to is 'I want more game'. 🙂

I want more game as well.

Somehow, IMO, MMOs and other modern games have all attracted a large group of players that don't want to make thier own fun, they want to be fed everything.

More like watching a TV show than playing a game, IME.

While I see nothing 'wrong' with that, I like to make my own fun and my own stories and challenges, not be fed much of anything.

IMO, virtually any truly new CoH player that is a 'modern gamer' will not find the game to be much fun after they 'beat it' once.

Those of us that love the creative aspect just keep making new characters and new stories.

This comes back to the main thing I have about all the games I like - why turn them into something thery are not?

Why not play this game for what it is and play other for what they are, without making CoH Dark Souls X...

• Like 1

Some characters are just plain broken. My Mind/Fire permadom can basically solo anything in this game, TFs, GMs, whatever. There are plenty of characters who can make similar claims. Sometimes my friends like to get all of our OP characters into the same team and just steamroll a Lady Gray TF or something for funsies, and we'll invite some randos to join us. It's hilarious. The only challenge is finding a MOB that lives long enough to cycle through your entire attack chain.

But that's basically taking a bazooka to a slingshot fight. We all also have half-baked concept characters, or toons with zero IOs slotted, or whatever, that hits a brick wall against the exact same content. I was on a Lady Gray TF on my MM the other day that had to give up by mission 2, because we kept getting wiped out. I actually found it pretty fun, to be honest, because it had been ages since I'd actually had to pay attention during that TF, as opposed to just reducing the entire map to its component atoms.

Anyway, what I am saying is that once you have maxed-out a character with all the best powers, IOs, incarnate slots, and so forth, it SHOULD be pretty easy. That's what spending millions of inf on your build gets you. I enjoy playing my super OP builds because being powerful can be great fun. But I also enjoy playing my weaker, weird, or just quirky characters, too. I think it's great that CoX gives you the option to be as OP as you like, and doesn't punish sub-optimal builds or force players into specific team compositions if they want to have a chance at clearing top-end content.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 6:18 PM, gameboy1234 said:

You’re not alone 🙂 there are others like you who suggest a specific server concentrated for challenge. The problem I have expressing this interest is people misunderstand it as, “oh your telling people how to play” and I suck at explaining why it’s not. Hardcore communities struggle because we are smaller community than others, and it’s hard to reach out for support, couple months ago I read a pvp post and people were shredding on this guy for taking an interest in a dead pvp mmo, I wish people were more open to harmless ideas cause you never know the demand for these kind of things. Check out PoE, it’s the most successful totally free to play that offers different servers with different difficulties so hardcore players find it easier to play with other hardcores.

Its a a great idea man and I support it.

Edited by ToZ
I accidentally hit send on my phone on the bus, lol
  • Like 1

Here's an ambitious idea. Lets just take Atlas City, replace Atlas with our Lord and savoir Recluse, tint the map evil and call it a day?

Or you guys could do ye olde style Hardcore challenges.

Back in my Dark Soul playing days (if the posts are still there you can search me on the Eurogamer forums for proof of this) I was known as a challenge runner for Dark Souls on Eurogamer forums. I did things like soul level 1 runs (including the DLC), Fist weapons only runs (in dark souls 1 fist weapons were shockingly bad), Whip only runs (Which is actually harder than fist only runs since, also in dark souls 1, the whip could not riposte a parried attack and did pathetic damage) and a few others.

The challenges are there, you just need to take them. For example classic Iron Man challenge runs. You die, you lose. Delete the character and start over and you have to go up a notch of the difficulty scaler every 10 levels with no IOs involved, only SOs. Or you could make POWER POOL MAN, as soon as the power pools become available they are the only things you can take, epic/patron pools are included.

I find it strange that speed runners and the like take a game and look for the challenge in itself but it seems people here are like "just make the challenge for me!".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ToZ said:

The problem I have expressing this interest is people misunderstand it as, “oh your telling people how to play”

The reason why it's not "telling people how to play" is that it's a new server.  I'm not sure everyone gets that, but it's pretty obvious that if Homecoming makes a new server then no one or their current characters are impacted.  Only folks who chose to go to the new server are impacted.

Some of the opposing arguments are just knee-jerk "nuh-uh" because that's how the internet rolls; anyone will argue anything, regardless.  Some of it I think is folks who feel that no one would play there (maybe they're right).

Anyway, thanks for the support.  I think some folks would enjoy it.  Wouldn't at least 1/5 of the current server pop enjoy it?  That I don't know.  So I don't know if it would really be worth it for the devs to set up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gameboy1234 said:

Anyway, thanks for the support.  I think some folks would enjoy it.  Wouldn't at least 1/5 of the current server pop enjoy it?  That I don't know.  So I don't know if it would really be worth it for the devs to set up.

Yeah those reasons are my favourite, because they are legitimately true, if making new separate servers and managing them are not worth the demand, I have no experience running an mmo, totally not worth it. 

But I said it once and I’ll say it again, if there is a demand for it I’d 100% pay a subscription model and I’ll probably never unsubscribe. This game was my childhood, and I definitely found it more challenging before the ‘change your difficulty to your choosing’ update.

(nothing wrong with that though it’s a cool feature)

Here's an ambitious idea. Lets just take Atlas City, replace Atlas with our Lord and savoir Recluse, tint the map evil and call it a day?

1 minute ago, DR_Mechano said:

Or you guys could do ye olde style Hardcore challenges.

Back in my Dark Soul playing days

I think for me the difference is that MMOs include a social aspect.  It's a group of folks who have chosen to lock themselves into a harder box and now they have no choice if they want to progress.  There's a shared challenge and a shared victory when you put it together and it works.

Solo player games don't do it for me, not for "challenge."  I play solo games for story and puzzles.  I found 722 korok seeds in Breath of the Wild on my own, but never bothered to figure out how to do the perfect block thing with my shield.  Finding and solving puzzles is fun in its own right.  Make a perfect block and ... so what?  There's no one to share it with.

I think for the same reason solo challenges don't do much for me.  I'm not a fan of bragging in chat about what my character can do.  And "shared" doesn't work because a team of eight is automatically a stream roller these days.  My technique for grouping is not to use Build Up because if I do everything is dead by the time it finishes animating.  That's it.  That's my whole teaming technique.

5 minutes ago, gameboy1234 said:

I think for me the difference is that MMOs include a social aspect.  It's a group of folks who have chosen to lock themselves into a harder box and now they have no choice if they want to progress.  There's a shared challenge and a shared victory when you put it together and it works.

Solo player games don't do it for me, not for "challenge."  I play solo games for story and puzzles.  I found 722 korok seeds in Breath of the Wild on my own, but never bothered to figure out how to do the perfect block thing with my shield.  Finding and solving puzzles is fun in its own right.  Make a perfect block and ... so what?  There's no one to share it with.

I think for the same reason solo challenges don't do much for me.  I'm not a fan of bragging in chat about what my character can do.  And "shared" doesn't work because a team of eight is automatically a stream roller these days.  My technique for grouping is not to use Build Up because if I do everything is dead by the time it finishes animating.  That's it.  That's my whole teaming technique.

Ah that, my friends, is where you are wrong about there being nobody to share it with. One of my favorite speed runs styles started out as something done a Games Done Quick and it has grown on twitch. In fact speed runs are very social these days.

What you can do is have a group of you all run the challenge together. You ALL start a POWER POOL MAN challenge which, will be difficult in the early levels, when you're slotting DOs but slowly becomes easier and easier once you all start filling out the leadership pool. You challenge yourselves to do every single TF with your team POWER POOL including a LRST or MsTF. I know back in the day people use to run SOs only ramping difficulty Iron Man SGs together and run as a group.

18 minutes ago, DR_Mechano said:

For example classic Iron Man challenge runs. You die, you lose. Delete the character and start over and you have to go up a notch of the difficulty scaler every 10 levels with no IOs involved, only SOs.

You see that’s creative right there. And a feature that impacts no body but the ones who choose. I know about deleting after death, just suggesting it to HC to make it automated if there character was flagged for it.

I had a similar idea to the IO you have. 

‘The street cleaner’ disables all missions and you have to grind to 50. No auctions no AE just no life grinding.

I like your thinking 

19 minutes ago, ToZ said:

You see that’s creative right there. And a feature that impacts no body but the ones who choose. I know about deleting after death, just suggesting it to HC to make it automated if there character was flagged for it.

I had a similar idea to the IO you have. 

‘The street cleaner’ disables all missions and you have to grind to 50. No auctions no AE just no life grinding.

I like your thinking 

The thing is within the Iron Man challenge actually has another difficulty selector. Do you pick easy and got for tank, who, if they make it to level 30, is unlikely to die, do you go for medium which is corruptor, you've got range and debuffs so you're sort of ok. Then you have blaster...especially a fire/fire blaster...that's hard mode, no safety net, all you've got is damage and a prayer.

If an Iron man blaster challenger made it to level 50 without dying that was definitely an achievement.