Rare Salvage Prices

WillowManson

I would like to know why some of the rare invention salvage pieces are selling for so much when so many are ready to purchase. I cannot remember the specific ones but there are quite a few pieces I need where the price is 500,000 or higher and there are plenty for sale with hardly any demand while I can now buy a Luck Charm for 250 when they were super expensive back in the day. What has changed with the supply and demand in the market as I now cannot afford the IO sets I used to use because of these extra high salvage prices.

They're all bucketed together now, so there's no difference as far as the auction house is concerned whether you're bidding on a luck charm or a hydraulic piston. Orange prices fluctuate, usually more on the weekends but you can usually buy it nao for 500-600k. If you're that worried about a couple hundred thousand you can always put in bids at 400k and wait a bit. But the fact that they're all in the same pot also means you don't have to hoard what drops to you. Sell it all and buy what you need when you need it. You'll come out ahead.

14 hours ago, WillowManson said:

I would like to know why some of the rare invention salvage pieces are selling for so much when so many are ready to purchase. I cannot remember the specific ones but there are quite a few pieces I need where the price is 500,000 or higher and there are plenty for sale with hardly any demand while I can now buy a Luck Charm for 250 when they were super expensive back in the day. What has changed with the supply and demand in the market as I now cannot afford the IO sets I used to use because of these extra high salvage prices.

A lot has changed since Live.

1.  Every piece of salvage of the same rarity (i.e., white or yellow or orange) is considered fungible.  That means that in the AH they are all considered equivalent.  So when people sell white salvage into the AH it goes into a big pool.  Then if you buy, for example, a luck charm because you need that specifically for a recipe, it comes out of that big pool.  So there are no expensive rares and cheap rares; they are all the same at this point.  This keeps people from manipulating the market on, for example, luck charms.

2.  The developers seeded the market for salvage.  They offered 10mm each of white, yellow, and orange salvage at 10,000; 100,000; and 1mm inf each respectively.  Those are those really big numbers in the "for sale".  That put an effective cap on prices, and for almost all of trading history, prices have been significantly lower than those caps.

Going to your question:  why is rare salvage so expensive when there are so many sellers and so few buyers?  The answer is that the sellers are mostly the devs at 1mm a pop.  There are sellers like you and me who are offering at lower prices, but that's harder to see when you have that nearly 10mm number staring you in the face.

As to whether or not rares are too expensive, every day we see people who want to buy them complaining they are too expensive and people who want to sell them complaining that they are too cheap.  At this point anything between 5,000 and 1,000,000 is "about right".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Who run Bartertown?

500k is a lot?   Not being snarky here.

Influence is incredibly easy to accumulate without AR farming and on Legacy there was no seeding of the market so prices were hyper-inflated.

With very little effort, the AH can be farmed for inf:

1. Buy Hero & Villain Super Pack
  2. Sell ATOs
  3. Profit

This is not something I do will every character I own, but I did log onto my 50 yesterday, checked the market and netted 40 mil.

Edited by Oubliette_Red

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

• 3 weeks later

The normalized price of ~500K is not that expensive (imho) for rare orange salvage. Many were the times that certain pieces were a Lot More spendy back in the Live days.

That said, if the OP feels that it IS too pricey, that's unfortunate, as there is nothing they can do to alter the price.  That said, however, there a Lots of ways to earn enough inf to not even bat an eye at that price. A few ideas just off the top of my head (in no particular order), and that's not even considering the many guides that are out there to help you make more inf than you'd ever need:

* Exchange merits for converters and sell them on AH

* Recipe Vendoring (ie. buy recipes from AH cheap, and vend them to the superhero trainers or stores)

* Salvage / Inspie vendoring -- similar to above, albeit less profitable. One nice perk -- Inner Inspiration from P2W is Free, and you can make 3 Medium / Large inspies every 1/2 hour to sell on AH

Once you've got 50, 100, 200 million, or more on your character, that 500K piece of salvage is nothing more than loose change in your spandex pocket.  😉

Or heck, you could read my Low Budget Farmer's Guide (in my signature), and be a Seller of rare salvage rather than a Buyer of it (and get filthy rich doing it, besides).  😉

In short you can't do anything about the prices of items in game, but you CAN do a lot of things that can make those prices seem like mere trifles to you.

Regards,

Edited by FourSpeed
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fan Mail said:

I have yet to buy a Super Pack.  From an investor's point of view and not giving away trade secrets...what am I missing?

My experience:

* I seem to average about 1.25 ATOs per pack

* Selling the ATOs generally covers the cost of the pack, with "everything else" being profit

* I suggest diversifying by buying 10+ packs at a time rather than just one at a time

* When I kept track, ROI seemed to be around the 25% area.

* It gets really tedious really quickly

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

4 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

My experience:

* Selling the ATOs generally covers the cost of the pack, with "everything else" being profit

* I suggest diversifying by buying 10+ packs at a time rather than just one at a time

This. 

Except I did it on 100s of winter packs.  Bigger cost, same 25%, so bigger millions.  But it's very clicking intensive opening 100s of packs and also putting all that salvage for sale.

Side note: my experience is that ATOs and Winter IOs sell slower than other IOs.  So it's a long term investment.

Salvage is what AE tickets are for.  Because I play a fair amount of AE, I can order up any uncommon or rare salvage that isn't already in the base, and don't have to pay any attention to AH prices. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 3/4/2020 at 7:03 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I recently bought 200 super packs and I kept pretty strict track and my ROI, after market fees, was closer to 5%. This includes selling all boosters, catalysts, unslotters and converters. It also includes turning the merits into whatever is most profitable and making and selling the rare salvage from brain storm ideas. Selling my ATOs at 8M each and it takes a few weeks for everything to sell (I suspect with a few converters I could change the slow selling items and increase the speed). Also of note is that I averaged 1.19 ATOs per pack.

That still leaves you with a ton of inspirations (IMHO, inspirations are some of the most under appreciated items in the game), and lots of temp powers. Of those, all are ok, but Experienced and Windfall are the most useful. 

Windwall and Experienced are great in that they both boost experience and influence. If you land a purple or two with Windfall, so much the better.  

Edited by Troyusrex

23 minutes ago, Troyusrex said:

I recently bought 200 super packs and I kept pretty strict track and my ROI, after market fees, was closer to 5%. This includes selling all boosters, catalysts, unslotters and converters. It also includes turning the merits into whatever is most profitable and making and selling the rare salvage from brain storm ideas. Selling my ATOs at 8M each and it takes a few weeks for everything to sell (I suspect with a few converters I could change the slow selling items and increase the speed). Also of note is that I averaged 1.19 ATOs per pack.

That still leaves you with a ton of inspirations (IMHO, inspirations are some of the most under appreciated items in the game), and lots of temp powers. Of those, all are ok, but Experienced and Windfall are the most useful. 

Windwall and Experienced are great in that they both boost experience and influence. If you land a purple or two with Windfall, so much the better.  

An easy way to boost your return (as you noted) is to use the converters to get better ATOs rather than sell them.  Rather than wait a few weeks to sell a Kheldian ATO for 8mm, you can sell a tanker/brute/blaster ATO for 10mm by the end of the day.  That's my general M.O.

Who run Bartertown?

On 3/4/2020 at 3:03 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

My experience:

My first experience with trying super packs has made me not want to ever do them again. Granted I only bought 2 super packs, but I got zero ATO and only got temp powers and brain storm materials. No merits or anything else of worth. So my 20m investment turned out to only give me about 5m worth of stuff to sell. So I lost 15m on the experiment. 

I’m sure if I had a larger sample size it might not be so atrocious, but my experience just doesn’t make me want to risk it. 

23 hours ago, Saikochoro said:

Granted I only bought 2 super packs

The consensus I've seen so far is that 10 should be about the minimum purchase, although no number will guarantee you a profitable ROI (it just gets less and less likely the more you do).

• 2 years later
On 2/5/2020 at 9:23 PM, Mr. Vee said:

If you're that worried about a couple hundred thousand you can always put in bids at 400k and wait a bit. 

I have been waiting for 67 days for 10 bids of Chronal skip at 500K. 

How long do I have to wait? How long is this "bit"? 

The truth is, either one or several marketers are taking advantage of the deep pockets of impatient people. Fortunately, the rare salvage is seeded at 1M, so there's a limit to how much the greedy can gouge the rest of us. 

I encourage all of you to not play into the hands of the marketing folks that do this. 

Take your old farmers that you don't use because of the new changes, and load up one of Brigg's older maps that haven't been adjusted for page 4 or 5, and take the crappy xp but still get your capped 750 tickets or whatever it is in 2 minutes, and get your rare salvage that way. 

Never mind that you could make a lot more from random drops. Don't reward cheesy market manipulation and be self-sufficient. Yes, no question it's annoying and much easier to fork over the extra 100 to 300K for the rare piece you need - but using the AE tickets will let you get precisely the salvage you want and then you know you haven't been a party to lining the pockets of the greedy marketer. 

Or just send an email to the richer folks and don't ask for inf - ask them for rare salvage. It'll be cute. They'll probably send you one. 

On 11/1/2022 at 10:00 AM, Mr. Vee said:

This thread got rezzed from March of 2020. I really can't say how much rare salvage is going for these days, nor how long you have to wait to buy it. 

Outrageous is the answer.  Rare salvage has jumped from 450 - 500K to 700K - 900K (as of this morning around 10AM CST).

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present