Would it be possible to unnerf regen?

The first toon I loved was my regen scrapper, I played him everyday and loved every minute of it.  Then came the super nerf to regen which made him pretty much unenjoyable.  Now I'm not saying take regen all the way back to its nigh unkillable state, but can we just roll back the nerfs a bit to make it fun to play again. I hate having to click all my powers in regen all the time, make them toggles again and just nerf the benefits a bit. Please Devs this is within your power to do this make a old regen scrapper happy again.  Make regen great again!!!

Unnerf Regen? Unnerf Regen. Unnerf... Regen...

Oh! "Un" is an indefinite article in the Italian language, the equivalent of "a" or "an" in English, and it can also be used to mean "one." I get it now, you're saying you want to nerf Regen one more time. Yeah, let's do it! Sounds like a great idea!

• Haha 8
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Vanden said:

Unnerf Regen? Unnerf Regen. Unnerf... Regen...

Oh! "Un" is an indefinite article in the Italian language, the equivalent of "a" or "an" in English, and it can also be used to mean "one." I get it now, you're saying you want to nerf Regen one more time. Yeah, let's do it! Sounds like a great idea!

Is this an italian forum?  strech much????

2 hours ago, ArchVileTerror said:

It's meant to be a memetic joke of some sort, I'm afraid.   "Nerf Regen" is a chant which some members of the forum just keep doing.  I believe that Vanden was attempting to play to said meme.

What people think regen is still to strong?  Are they mad????

Edited by FullEclipse

Meh with IO set bonuses, good +Recharge and some +DEF from Weave, Shadow Meld and the like Regen isn’t a bad secondary these days.  It will never be what it once was, but running a perma-MOG build, tanking Hamidon and ignoring absolutely all the rest of the power set wasn’t actually working as intended either.

On a Sentinel Regeneration is actually pretty good.  For a Sentinel at any rate.

What you and I have are fond memories of a massive Developer miscalculation during the early months of the game.  They fixed that oversight.  Likely too much but it’s all kind of moot now and evened itself out.

I still think the best path for the Regeneration Set's development lies in making it the Set where being Defeated is something you don't need to be afraid of.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/13167-qol-undo-the-regen-nerf/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-136145

It got a few "Likes" as well, so it seems to be at least an idea that others consider worth investigating.

And since Regeneration should be Proliferated to Tankers too, I think that the proposed changes to Revive should be amended with a little more:  Taking Revive provides a Passive effect where your defeated body continues to hold Aggro for a while.  If that can't be done directly, then have your body spawn a Pseudopet with a massive Taunt AoE for a couple of seconds.   Keep on Tanking, even while face-first on the floor, at least for long enough for your allies to either get away, or for you to pop Revive again!  And, in the process of popping Revive, grant a few seconds of damage immunity and another PBAoE Taunt.

Willpower's about Rising to the Challenge!

Regeneration's about Rising Again.  And Again.  And Again!

*insert "Ted Talk" meme, yata yata, blah blah*

Nerf regen is an ongoing joke amongst those of us who loved our old school regen scrappers.  For a while back on live...the answer to every single thing ever seemed to be a nerf to regen.  Therefore....

Nerf regen.

I like your idea but I dont see it happening.  Too many people are just 'use willpower' which I have used and it is nothing like what regen was or could be.  

Happy hunting!

Edited by EmmySky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crysis said:

Meh with IO set bonuses, good +Recharge and some +DEF from Weave, Shadow Meld and the like Regen isn’t a bad secondary these days.  It will never be what it once was, but running a perma-MOG build, tanking Hamidon and ignoring absolutely all the rest of the power set wasn’t actually working as intended either.

Regen is objectively inferior to other armor sets.  You can improve it with set bonuses and pool powers, but the same can be done to any blaster or defender.  It remains the case that, like the blaster or defender, you're starting damn near close to zero on resistance and defense. 

Relying on click heals and other trouble buttons is simply unworkable where power sets are 'balanced' by lengthening animation times, as happened with the Energy Melee nerf.  Nothing at character creation warns you against this, either.  Animation traps are just too common for Regen in the current game. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

After the regen nerfs, gdn & ED I didn't even bother to go through the incarnate trials with my very 1st toon, 50 & namesake Chance Jackson an MA/Regen during live & I'm certainly not going to recreate him for HC or roll a regen as things stand so I support un-nerfing regen 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chance Jackson said:

After the regen nerfs, gdn & ED I didn't even bother to go through the incarnate trials with my very 1st toon, 50 & namesake Chance Jackson an MA/Regen during live & I'm certainly not going to recreate him for HC or roll a regen as things stand so I support un-nerfing regen 

Pretty much why my namesake is now an Ill/Rad Controller.  Regen was so painful to play on Live, I couldn't bring myself to make another one.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 7:10 PM, Crysis said:

On a Sentinel Regeneration is actually pretty good.  For a Sentinel at any rate.

This is actually the approach I'd follow if they were to revisit regeneration and make it feel like it was. Sentinels version of regeneration is the closest feel to old school regeneration that exists in the game now. Instead of having Instant Heal being that massive HP regenerating click (which was once a glorious toggle), they made it into a absorb toggle. This means it can have a ceiling well below your health cap, and yet still regenerate fast, but not the outrageous excesses of original Instant Heal. I think it's a very well thought out solution. The absorb bar looks a lot like the yo-yoing of the old IH, but because it is only so many points, a solid hit will still blow right through it and get to your real health which doesn't come back as fast. Thus unlike original regen where it was damned close to all or nothing if something could one shot you, this version allows you to get beat down. 

I must be in the minority who actually prefers Instant Healing to actually be +Regen rather than +Absorb. 

• Some of it is just concept... I want to see the green heal almost as fast as damage is taken.  I don't want my character still hurt but with an absorbtion shield. That's not Regen to me. That's ForceField Armor.
  • Some of it may be that I play a Stalker, not a brute.  While he's capable of it, typically my stalker is not expected to soak alphas for a team, one after the other after the other.  A brute would be. 

But the thing with Regen as a schtick is if your regen is good enough, you are an immortal god. You can go for days. Nothing stops you, you just laugh at the things that surround you, and you just punchy-punchy-punchy (or stabby-stabby-stabby, etc), and incoming damage doesn't matter.... as long as it's below a certain threshold.  Once you cross that threshold, then Regen is in serious trouble. And you can slot for +Defense and +Resist to adjust exactly where that threshold is. 

But I think they haven't put it on tankers yet, because they're really not sure how to keep the threshold high enough for a tank to do their expected job, without being truly totally immortal.

Now, has that ship already sailed?  Yes, and no.  Willpower gets ludicrous amounts of +Regen if surrounded, and is available to tanks. 

So a case can be made, just turn IH back into a toggle, and let tanks roll.

But Willpower will lose a bunch of that regen if their team blows up the surrounding cloud of minions and leaves them facing just the AV/EB.

/Regen has no such dependance on the number of foes surrounding you. 

I will say, if push came to shove, me personally, I'd like IH to become a toggle.... so long as it retains 100% of it's current regen strength, and remains enhanceable exactly as it is now.

If the price of it becoming a toggle were to be slash it's strength by 30%, or to make it unenhanceable, then no thank you, I'd rather keep it as a click, and I'll use it strategically where needed. 

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 2

jranger.PNG.418c4719b6d24f18905d13a28ba13fd8.PNG   oops I meant Nerf Regen!!

.. wait.. no, please don't

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

19 hours ago, MTeague said:

I must be in the minority who actually prefers Instant Healing to actually be +Regen rather than +Absorb. 

• Some of it is just concept... I want to see the green heal almost as fast as damage is taken.  I don't want my character still hurt but with an absorbtion shield. That's not Regen to me. That's ForceField Armor.

This is a perception issue and nothing else. Mind you, this is a game, so what you perceive to be fun is what matters. I look at the absorb shield as the amount of regeneration a regen sentinel is capable of without taxing their system. The stuff they just heal nearly instantly. It's the deep wounds (organs, broken major bones, major nerve trunks), that are what get past the absorb shield. 

I can state one thing with certainty, you're not seeing instant heal as a toggle again without it being nerfed. Thus you should be happy with the set as is given your conditions for adjustment. 

Edited by drbuzzard
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, drbuzzard said:

I can state one thing with certainty, you're not seeing instant heal as a toggle again without it being nerfed.

I am virtually certain of this as well.  Which is why i have minor dread at every "Make it a Toggle!" post, and why I try to make clear I consider it's strength more important than it being constant-on.

• 2 weeks later

If it's ever brought back to its former glory or buffed in general, it will still likely be inferior to many others simply because it gets hit with every debuff with very little resist - at least electric armor (which also gets hit with everything) resists some debuffs by comparison

EDIT:  actually I don't think regen has any resists to debuffs at all

Edited by JayboH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

On 5/24/2020 at 1:23 PM, FullEclipse said:

The first toon I loved was my regen scrapper, I played him everyday and loved every minute of it.  Then came the super nerf to regen which made him pretty much unenjoyable.  Now I'm not saying take regen all the way back to its nigh unkillable state, but can we just roll back the nerfs a bit to make it fun to play again. I hate having to click all my powers in regen all the time, make them toggles again and just nerf the benefits a bit. Please Devs this is within your power to do this make a old regen scrapper happy again.  Make regen great again!!!

Funny enough I call what you want a major nerf and say uhm hell to the never ever ever as long as the sun burns in the sky above should what you want be allowed to come to pass.

I love regen as it is on my several regen scrappers/brutes. I like that it excels at leveraging global recharge as a set theme, I love how that makes it synergize oh so well with claws and follow up to make a real wolverine concept come to life in game.  Or on a katana user so I can spam parry every other attack being nigh untouchable while always having oh shit buttons ready, a self res ready and mog ready when i self rez to stay safe.

As others have pointed out orignal regen was too broken, everyone just went perma mog and called it a day. Now it is one of the few active and reactive 2ndaries for scrappers that isnt just toggle up and go. This may surprise you but some of us hate toggle heavy builds.

Regen imo is one of the best, most fine tuned, and well balanced vs content sets in the game. Out of the box its useful and when paired with a strong partner gets magnified further, such as with dark, or any set with a def buff like Parry. Add in IO sets and yeah, rarely will you not be the last man standing if shit goes bad if you know how to play it.

Also seriously man, with all the shit going on in the U.S. politically and the civil  unrest and you think ending on a variant of the MAGA chant is acceptable on a game forum? Especially one like CoH were most characters would if in this real world of ours atm likely be deemed gone rogue because they would be out beating down cops faster then a red sider would in cohverse.

2 hours ago, JayboH said:

If it's ever brought back to its former glory or buffed in general, it will still likely be inferior to many others simply because it gets hit with every debuff with very little resist - at least electric armor (which also gets hit with everything) resists some debuffs by comparison

EDIT:  actually I don't think regen has any resists to debuffs at all

This is an important point too.  Regen is just not well suited to run Incarnate content or Dark Astoria missions because of its issue with eating every debuff and not resisting them.  It starts going bad with those endless Marksman plinkers and Galaxies on Council missions.  Every large spawn will have several.  The constant -recharge hurts Regen where it is most vulnerable, taking away the ability to use the self-heals it is supposed to depend on.  Regen needs the same kind of resistance to recharge slows that Electric has against endurance drains. 

As for the incarnate stuff, those mobs and encounters are just badly designed and need a pass to make them more melee friendly. 

• Like 3
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291