Mid's Reborn: Hero Designer

Metalios

15 minutes ago, crytilis said:

Hmm, when is the last time you updated Defender definitions ie. Windows Updates?

MRB_Setup.exe Virus Total Report as of 9/24/2019
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/7aae09d09e8dc80dcdc5c43d07db17503b04c91f8e8e94d9d978321d783b48ed/detection

*Still waiting for BitDefender and Trustwave to update their definitions.*

Just found the reason for the installer being flagged. I will push out a new installer. AV's are incorrectly detecting the exe which downloads and executes the msi from the website as a virus. This is a false positive. I will be converting the installer to a single MSI and re-uploading.

I am merely the guy with a keyboard and monitor under the stairs.

The patch notes say the Offensive Adaptation (and others) are fixed, but a quick look showed it adding no extra damage to attacks with it toggled on.

My network at work is fairly restrictive, so it does not allow connectivity to https://midsreborn.com/; however, it does allow connectivity to GitHub (since we have developers in house).  Unfortunately, our workstations policies don't allow us to run installers, either.  Where can I get a zip file with the 2.6.0.5 version in a non-installer ZIP file, instead?  The last I have that worked was 2.6.0.1, which I got from https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer/releases (which appears to contain 2.6.0.2).

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

15 minutes ago, Sakai said:

This has probably been answered somewhere in the 7 pages but I have a question. 

After I download the new mids will my saved pines files work?

Most builds should as of 2.6.0.3 the database index was fixed as there were duplicate indexes in pines and in previous versions of MRB. With that being said some builds might need to be rebuilt or simply just have powers replaced

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sakai said:

This has probably been answered somewhere in the 7 pages but I have a question. 

After I download the new mids will my saved pines files work?

To be safe.  Just make a copy of your directory.  To use if you need to 

12 minutes ago, EmmySky said:
On 9/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, Phoenix' said:

Wish there was a way to be able to run MRB on your mobile !!! 

It would be so awesome !!! 

++ yes pls!

Well ... if the build planner was running on a web page instead of a (windows only) app ...

/em significant look

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

19 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

Well ... if the build planner was running on a web page instead of a (windows only) app ...

/em significant look

Mids has always been windows based, lots of Mac users and Linux users are able to use the new revisions such as 2.6.0.3, 2.6.0.4, and 2.6.0.5 by using Wine and Winetricks. Your statement of windows only is semi-invalid. If you would like to make a web based planner please feel free contribute to that goal. MRB is open source licensed under GPLv3, source is available on our githubs.

Regards,

Crytilis

Edited by crytilis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/19/2019 at 7:15 AM, Redlynne said:

Still waiting for you to export everything out of the application and make a web page that does the job ... and the longer it takes you to start that process the longer it's going to take to finally happen ...

22 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

/em significant look

Well, keep us posted on how your project comes along in getting that up and running.

The current MRB team is focused on a windows program that has always been a windows program. They seem to make every reasonable effort to make it accessible to other OS, but that's not what it was developed for or written to accommodate.

Throwing snark and an entitled attitude at people doing amazing work for free just because it isn't being developed in the direction that you personally want is pretty bad form man.

• Thanks 3

Numpad binds for Masterminds - A collection of Farming focused builds - MM /Time guide for all primaries

@Zen Warlawk on Indomitable, @Warlawk#1697 in discord.

Currently struggling with mostly recovered from health problems. Gaming time nonexistent inconsistent.

I'm not throwing shade just simply to throw shade (even if it looks like that at times).

I'm simply pointing out that if a developer wanted to build the functionality that MRB provides "from scratch" today you'd build it as a web page which would allow people to link to builds and all you'd need is a web browser.  It seems like the only reason why we're still tied (chained?) to the legacy UI of Mids' is because ... well ... that's what was done almost 15 years ago, so ... why reinvent the wheel?

Is the program useful/functional?  Sure it is.

Is it what we'd really want to be using for this purpose if we were starting over?  Not exactly.

That's all.

1 hour ago, crytilis said:

If you would like to make a web based planner please feel free contribute to that goal. MRB is open source licensed under GPLv3, source is available on our githubs.

The last time I did anything webpage construction related was about 25 years ago using what is (by now) hopelessly outdated HTML written by hand (back in the days of BBEdit).  I wouldn't even know where to begin with the prospect of coding a web page, let alone one dedicated to this specific purpose.  I personally don't have the skills (or experience) to program that kind of a web page.

IifneyR.gif

10 hours ago, Redlynne said:

I'm not throwing shade just simply to throw shade (even if it looks like that at times).

I'm simply pointing out that if a developer wanted to build the functionality that MRB provides "from scratch" today you'd build it as a web page which would allow people to link to builds and all you'd need is a web browser.  It seems like the only reason why we're still tied (chained?) to the legacy UI of Mids' is because ... well ... that's what was done almost 15 years ago, so ... why reinvent the wheel?

Is the program useful/functional?  Sure it is.

Is it what we'd really want to be using for this purpose if we were starting over?  Not exactly.

That's all.

The last time I did anything webpage construction related was about 25 years ago using what is (by now) hopelessly outdated HTML written by hand (back in the days of BBEdit).  I wouldn't even know where to begin with the prospect of coding a web page, let alone one dedicated to this specific purpose.  I personally don't have the skills (or experience) to program that kind of a web page.

There is a significant difference between developing Mids', and developing a website.  You can't do it.  The Mids' developers may not be able to do it.  The way Mids' is written it is extremely tied to Windows, and separating the two is impossible.  It would require a ground up rewrite, which the Mids' developers may not be capable of doing so as C# is not HTML and CSS, and vice versa.  You've been essentially demanding that someone that plays the piano to play the guitar, "because they're both musical instruments, right?"

Until someone that can code websites and is interested enough to develop a City of Heroes character planner comes along, Mids' Reborn is it.

Edited by Apparition

This is super petty, but I'm wondering if you intend to re-add the red theme when the "Villain" bubble is selected. I have poked around extensively in MRB, but have not located anything that would change this unless I'm missing something. The red is easier on my eyes and let's face it: Red side - best side.

Any help y'all give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch for the great work!

Isn't there a Hero/Villain button up at the top in the center already?

When you pick a Hero AT it'll automatically default to the blue theme ... and a Villain AT will automatically default to the red theme ... but you can swap by clicking on the Hero/Villain button.

IifneyR.gif

7 hours ago, TotalFocuS said:

This is super petty, but I'm wondering if you intend to re-add the red theme when the "Villain" bubble is selected. I have poked around extensively in MRB, but have not located anything that would change this unless I'm missing something. The red is easier on my eyes and let's face it: Red side - best side.

Any help y'all give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch for the great work!

It was removed in 2.6.0.4, I do have plans to re-add a similar implementation of it and other colors once the theme system is completed.

On 9/20/2019 at 11:25 AM, crytilis said:

The biggest thing that is preventing myself, or Maslow from doing any type of porting the app to different platforms is that just about everything inside of the app ties heavily into the Windows System.Drawing namespace within the .NET framework. For example. the creation of the power slots, enhancement slots, etc, are all done via Classes and Methods within that namespace. That in itself would be a massive undertaking, requiring hundreds of hours (most likely) in order to move away from this into something like Xamarin Forms and then changing all the individual pieces that made changes to it.

Someone had previously mentioned .NET Core also, this however does not solve that issue either. While .NET Core 3.x does support Winforms and WPF, they still require those types of applications to be ran on a Windows platform. A branch of MRB utilizing .NET Core 3.x has already been created and tested confirming this. NET Core however is more optimized than the .NET framework itself as in many cases, entire portions of the framework were re-created from scratch. This does seem to provide some performance increases and after more testing we may choose to move to this as the standard going forward.

image.png.faff711637124c87caea22d0e217ce8e.png

9 hours ago, Chrome said:

heh i just found a funny error after updating to the most up to date MRB.  Kick unslotted in PVP mode on a Ice/TA corrupter shows it doing 1400 or so damage...im thinking a decimal place was missed somewhere:)

That's def odd, I don't see that honestly but then again I'm already working on 2.6.0.6 which has several fixes and new calcs 🙂

Maybe an odd question, but where are the json files for powersets and stuff coming from in your source code? Are you maintaining them by hand? I'm working on a side project (a build designer obviously) and found it REALLY convenient to just copy your json files into my project. But it didn't feel right to do that without asking about it, and should you ever decide to stop maintaining your files I'd have to figure out something else.

So, do you mind me copying your json files? Especially if I decide to run ads or something and would thus be making money partially off of your work?

Or is the data is just freely available and I haven't found it yet?