Best toon to pair with an ice/ice blaster?

I've just done the impossible and got my wife into CoH, she wants to play an ice/ice blaster so we will be duo'ing together! 

Whats the best character to support that? I know this is a tall order but if possible I'd like to play as some kind of controller as I've played so many melee characters it would be nice to switch it up. I accept that a blaster might need a tank or brute though so I am willing to roll one out. 

So yeah what AT do you guys would best suit an Ice/Ice blaster? 

Thanks! 

She might get frustrated with a blaster faceplanting most of the time. But if that's what she wants then you do might want an AT that can take aggro off of her, or something that heals or a controller/dom that ends the fight before it starts 😃

Ice blast and Ice manipulation focuses on slowing things down, but not locking them in place most of the time. You can play supplementary (another Ice, Grav, Time) or opposite/complementary like Fire, Rad, or Dark -- which lessens they're chance to hit. Storm might be a nice pair thematically, but not sure how it will perform in tandem with Ice.

😃 I hope you two enjoy... in case she does get frustrated with a blaster, she can go Ice Sentinel which is more survivable, but less punch.

I would consider keeping the ice theme and going with cold/ice defender.  That can give her 30% defense to all but psi, capped hitpoints, 30% resistance to fire/cold, 20% resist to toxic.  Supplement that with pools that further support her: either Medicine pool for mez resistance and some heals,  Experimentation pool for mez resist plus regen and recovery, and/or leadership, concealment, sorcery, etc.  And all that is supplemented by impressive debuffs to regen, defense, resistance, movement, recovery, recharge, and damage as well as your own holds and rains to stack with your wife's attacks.

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Like 3

Not to disagree with you Six Six but Ice/Ice gets 3 single target holds, which is enough to lock down EBs and AVs when they don't have mezz immunity. The combo shines as a boss killer.

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Like 4

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I'm biased a bit (had a lvl 50 Cold/Ice on Live and it was a favorite) but I'll second a Cold/Ice defender.  Not only adding even more slow/-recharge and Holds from Ice blast but all the buff and debuffs from Cold.  The other option that's always strong for a dedicated pair is Empathy ... in this case Emp/Ice for theme and all that stacking of Ice blast again. 

Edit: And if really set on a controller while haven't tried it personally it screamed 'try me' is a Dark/Cold controller.  

Edited by Doomguide2005

5 hours ago, Six Six said:

She might get frustrated with a blaster faceplanting most of the time. But if that's what she wants then you do might want an AT that can take aggro off of her, or something that heals or a controller/dom that ends the fight before it starts 😃

Ice blast and Ice manipulation focuses on slowing things down, but not locking them in place most of the time. You can play supplementary (another Ice, Grav, Time) or opposite/complementary like Fire, Rad, or Dark -- which lessens they're chance to hit. Storm might be a nice pair thematically, but not sure how it will perform in tandem with Ice.

😃 I hope you two enjoy... in case she does get frustrated with a blaster, she can go Ice Sentinel which is more survivable, but less punch.

I seriously disagree with your statements about "faceplanting most of the time" and "focuses on slowing things down". 

I have played my ice/ice blaster for thousands of hours -during live, and on HC and other private servers. The "slowing things down" is not a focus for the player. It's just something ice does. The player need not slot any Slow IOs - primarily because the bonuses aren't very good and the dps is so good, it's unnecessary. Once Frigid Protection  is six-slotted, along with Bitter Ice blast and Freeze Ray - there's really no looking back. And when you get Blizzard...well, that's just more gravy. 

Ice Sentinel is a BIG mistake, because the freeze ray isn't a hold. It's low damage and needs work, in my opinion. With Rune of Protection on perma, the ice blaster will have all the status protection a Sentinel would have and do far more damage. 

Blasters really don't faceplant. Players do. 
It reminds me of a phone call I got recently: 

Me: Hello
Caller: Hi, may I speak with Miss Gradenko? (name changed)
Me: Nobody here by that name. 

Caller: Oh, I'm sorry, this must be a wrong number. 
Me: There's nothing wrong with my number. You are the one who is wrong. 

Snarky - but the point is - there's almost nothing finer than an ice/ice blaster. DPS, Damage mitigation, why it's just about the most perfect combination you can ask for. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Six Six said:

She might get frustrated with a blaster faceplanting most of the time. 

Ice blast and Ice manipulation focuses on slowing things down, but not locking them in place most of the time.

That's a big pile of crap btw, just saying...

To OP: Pretty much any char you roll will do fine. If you are partial to a controller, then roll one or, if you prefer, a Dominator so you can both pew pew and you still have crowd control.

Edited by Nightmarer
  • Like 1

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

Ice melee gets a lot of control for a melee set, and is fun to watch.  Ice/WP brute would let the blaster shine while having basic capabilities for keeping her safe and allowing her to enjoy the game.  Willpower is a low key armor set that gets adequately tough and is easy to build and play. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

52 minutes ago, Nightmarer said:

That's a big pile of crap btw, just saying...

To OP: Pretty much any char you roll will do fine. If you are partial to a controller, then roll one or, if you prefer, a Dominator so you can both pew pew and you still have crowd control.

I would default to adding on control, but Ice/ice won't lack it.

I think part of the answer needs to be do you plan on just being a duo or do you plan on playing together on teams? If you plan on playing on teams a lot, I would lean more towards something more AoE based when it comes to your damage. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

3 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Go with a fire/fire blaster 

Let me add to this Fire Fire blasters have the most aoes in the game the combo of Fire and Ice Rain and Blizzard with fireball and firebreath is AOE DESTRUCTION, 

• Like 2

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Similar to @Lex Talions idea, my first thought was whatever character makes martinis.

Thinking out of the box here, but if you want to play a controller, I’d play fire/FF.  Thematically, fire and ice goes well.  And if you want to keep aggro off her and shield her well, why not force field?  Of course, I’m just desperate to figure out how to play an alt with FF and enjoy it.

Who run Bartertown?

Your wife probably wants a chance to shine a bit. If you neuter every spawn before it has a chance to touch her blaster, or she never gets aggro, then she'll probably get bored. Problem solve together and you'll probably have more fun. An AT that facilitates moving at a good pace is probably helpful, to, unless she's somebody who really loves to go slow and look around. 

A scrapper or stalker doesn't have punchvoke, but hits quite well. The two of you can move at a good pace through missions, but you'll also have some level of challenge, from time to time. She clearly likes to have a theme going, so pick a stylish-but-effective theme for yourself as well (SJ / invul scrapper, staff / EA stalker, or whatever).

You can run at x4 or higher once she gets a better handle on controlling her character, just to give her something to do other than stand still and press buttons until things fall over.