Pay2Win - Skip Levels - Infamy Sink

Taboo

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that given the ease of powerlevelling/dual boxing currently available.  I doubt I would use it myself, though.

I like the idea of it unlocking, like at level 50.  I like the idea of it being on a lockout timer (maybe once every three days, kind of like the mission skipper except account wide).  And I LOVE the idea of big honking inf sinks.

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

I wouldn't use it myself... I'm one of those dual-boxing farmer-types, and I like getting the "seed money" that a romp through a farm map earns. (It's usually enough to finance the newbie's lvl 30-something common IOs-)... But as an option for other people that would open up after their first 50, and act as a potential influence sink? Sure. I'd support that addition to the P2W.

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Once upon a time, if this was live many years ago, I would've ardently said no if I was old enough back then to understand. However, given this is HC and the mass epidemic of AE farm leveling gone to new heights with double XP P2W boosters, I support the suggestion. 

• Like 1

Rather than unlocking on Level 50, it should probably unlock with a certain combination of Badges.  The sort of Badges that aren't just farmable, like Accomplishment Badges.  Something to demonstrate the player behind the account -has- done a variety of content and developed the experience (rather than "Experience / XP") to know a thing or two about the game.

I mean, I'd personally be okay with this feature just being straight-up available to anyone, but I propose the unlock as a means to help soothe the concerns of players who are afraid of teaming with someone who doesn't understand the game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

No. There are already enough AE noobs running round.

When you can go from 1-50 in an hour (or how ever long) in AE, that already IS basically skipping levels.

Well, would you rather those "AE noobs" be power leveled in an hour and have a decent chunk of inf in their pocket? Or maybe shifting some of the exp away from AE and put a price on PLing instead? 

I guess if you think everything is fine while also criticizing those using the system the way they want, more power to you. I see problems and solutions, it mostly depends if people are willing to talk about them genuinely. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

When you can go from 1-50 in an hour (or how ever long) in AE, that already IS basically skipping levels.

Which is why we may as well turn the current situation into a social good. Adding an optional influence sink to powerlevel will not create any unwanted situation compared to what currently exists, and would benefit the rest of the playerbase indirectly (as does all influence destruction).

Think of it as a voluntary tax on powerleveling.

• Like 1

30 mins in AE will easily get you to 30 with a single hour used 2XP purchase.  And as a sink, it would have to be a significant cost to make a dent but too much INF is pumped out it wouldn't even be noticeable.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

24 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

30 mins in AE will easily get you to 30 with a single hour used 2XP purchase.

How much cash does a lvl 50 farmer make in that period? An 'xp skip to 30' surely should be costing 2 or more TIMES what you can actually earn doing said farm. Or like you said, the payment is just a pointless amount.

Thinking about it more.

Say you earn 50 mil in that 30 min farm time, getting an alt from 1-30.

If the xp skip cost is less than 50 mil, wtf is the point,, when a farmer could do the same time frame, earn money, AND pay to skip an another alt?

If the xp skip costs more than 50 mil, is any farmer gonna do it? When they can do it the normal way, take 30 mins, get the alt to 30 AND earn 50 mil?

Edited by Razor Cure

10 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

How much cash does a lvl 50 farmer make in that period? An 'xp skip to 30' surely should be costing 2 or more TIMES what you can actually earn doing said farm. Or like you said, the payment is just a pointless amount.

Exactly, except for 1 person skipping to 30 there are 10 others pouring out more INF into the economy and PL another 5 (if not 70 more and loosing some IF) at the same time in 30 minutes.  It wouldn't even make a dent unless the sink was a billion straight to 50, than a Vet level for 100 million up tp 20.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

21 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

Thinking about it more.

Say you earn 50 mil in that 30 min farm time, getting an alt from 1-30.

If the xp skip cost is less than 50 mil, wtf is the point,, when a farmer could do the same time frame, earn money, AND pay to skip an another alt?

If the xp skip costs more than 50 mil, is any farmer gonna do it? When they can do it the normal way, take 30 mins, get the alt to 30 AND earn 50 mil?

Unless you get lucky with recipe drops and choose to sell them, you're not going to get 50m in half an hour with one farmer and one lowbie, even if the farmer is built for clearing speed.  AE's been nerfed too much for that at this point. 

As an example... Harry, my speed-farmer, can clear the big cave map in about 45 minutes if I'm being casual about it. (I'm using that one as an average, because it tends to be the half-way point between the fast-but-less-INF asteroid farms and something like Cult's takes-forever-but-nets-a-lot Freak World map) If I dual-box with two level 50 characters... Harry and one of my magi, for instance... and I vendor all enhancement drops and all the common recipes, and I toss all of the non-purple and non-PvP recipes to the auction house, I tend to average about 52-55m between the pair, depending on what the recipes sell for. Running with a lowbie as a tag-along, even without an XP booster, is going to take a sizable bite out of that since they'll earn a lot less raw INF. If they *are* running an XP booster... Which they have to be to get into the 30s on one run through that cave (There really isn't any such thing as "50 in an hour", all hyperbole aside. XP rates in AE were halved early on. It takes several runs through the cave to hit 50 on a lowbie these days-) ... the INF total will be even less. 

Of course, the totals DO go up if you get amazing drops (multiple purples, say-) and choose to sell them, but that's relying purely on luck and honestly? You're as likely NOT to get anything super-valuable from a farm run as you are to get something super shiny. The RNG can be fickle. 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Honestly the most appealing aspect this game has left is the huge variety of ATs and powerset combinations to play with. I support a level skip option because it puts more people in the game and away from AE. I'll be the first to admit that I use AE a lot. I pl'd my new blaster to 50 in two or three sittings basically.

Just throw a level skip by tens on the P2W and let's do this thing.