Please limit DFB/DiB runs.

28 minutes ago, Herotu said:

I see your demand more as the question, "Why limits and not options?".

Limits mean that more people will be looking for another method of grinding through the first few levels - so there'll be a third Trial that gets added, and that one gets ground instead.

The downside is that we, as players, wouldn't be doing the same thing over and over again, but the upside is that we, as players, wouldn't be doing the same thing over and over again until we'd done the DFB and DiB.

It's not a bad idea. Limiting options is often good. Too many people have been brainwashed into thinking, "more freedom always better", when it's not. Thanks merica. 

If I follow you it isn't so much that choices are sometimes a bad thing is that the pie (number of players) is relatively constant and each choice creates another slice in the pie making the slice 'you' want smaller until we're at 4000 slices for 4000 players.  In my profession they might refer to it as "the solution to pollution is dilution" (the wound is contaminated so flush it, then flush it more and more).

3 hours ago, ZacKing said:

Before DFB, people ran sewers so not much difference.  

Except that the mobs in the sewers under Atlas were level-capped about the same as the zone, so you had a built-in cutoff to how much XP you could get from it. Even starting with a low-level team leader would only help so much, as they would level up, too, eroding your XP.

2 minutes ago, Night said:

Nobody is forcing you to run those. In fact, you can play the game never once running it 1-50, so forcing a limit on EVERYONE just because you don't like it is very selfish.

How can anybody think like this. Such twisted logic!

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Night said:

Nobody is forcing you to run those. In fact, you can play the game never once running it 1-50, so forcing a limit on EVERYONE just because you don't like it is very selfish.

Completely agree.

Imposing restrictions on people who play differently to you is just unfair, plain and simple. This is the same reasoning as the other anti-farming/powerleveling thread a little while ago, so I'll just paraphrase what I said there;

If you want a CoH experience with limitations on your gameplay, go to Rebirth.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Except that the mobs in the sewers under Atlas were level-capped about the same as the zone, so you had a built-in cutoff to how much XP you could get from it. Even starting with a low-level team leader would only help so much, as they would level up, too, eroding your XP.

Sure but people still ran it to bypass lower level story content.  

29 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

You didn't get the huge chunks of XP that DFB gives, and it was inherently self-limiting due to the necessity of keeping a low-level character as team leader so that the rest of the team continues to get XP. That it was still run regularly before the devs rolled out DFB says more about the stultifying nature of the original origin-based contacts than anything else -- if you had a Tech origin, you faced Clockwork; if you had a Magic origin, you were sent against Hellions; Science, it was Vahzilok (which had me avoiding Science origin characters for years on Live). Restoring the origin contacts, but having their missions spread out across the low-level villain groups after an initial origin-themed mission, and then offering a wider choice of introductions, would give players a better introduction to the NPCs and prevent characters from being locked into missions against groups they don't want to have to fight.

The addition of Matthew Habashy and his arc, with the follow-on contacts Sandra Costel and Officer Fields, at least changed things around a bit and made your initial opponents more uniform across origins. I have to agree, though, that Twinshot's arcs, being what amounts to an extended (and at times disjointed) tutorial, both starts too far into the game and is not well written.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, kelly Rocket said:

Try playing through the low levels on a type of toon that *can't* solo, see if you can manage to get any teams without giving up and doing DFB.

Ah... Kelly... I've soloed Matthew Habashy, Officer Fields, Sondra Costel, Aaron Thiery, Twinshot, David Wincott, and most of Flux even on squishies without going to the Hospital. I don't really need help until Frostfire at the end of Flux, and I've seen several Frostfire teams in Everlasting's LFG recently. I haven't really tried it with the folks in the basement of Atlas Park... Well, not an squishies. Worked okay on a Tanker. But I don't think I start needing teams much until Frostfire in the Hollows, or if I get over to the contacts in King's Row. Even the King's Row contacts are okay until they send you to Perez Park, but they tend to send you to Perez Park, and EVERYONE squishes like crazy in Perez Park, because the street mobs are designed for teams of at least three. 

I don't like soloing, honest, but recently I've been doing it when I start a toon, because I feel guilty asking for help when I know I can solo, and I really can all through Atlas Park, and halfway through the Hollows, too. Yes, DFB and farms are an alternative, but I've gotten pretty fond of Matthew Habashy, Aaron Thierry, and David Wincott. I actually like to solo them, because I don't feel like I can read the text without guilt for holding folks back. 🙂

• Like 1

I just ran through Praetoria from 1-20, bit of teaming in there as well, with other Praetorians.

One can do other things besides DFB.  Have you formed your own teams?  There are those willing to do other things, and I've seen people in KR and chats looking for teams.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2021 at 9:57 AM, ZacKing said:

People might be somewhat more inclined to run story content if the writing was somewhat better than utter dog shit.  Just saying.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:54 AM, srmalloy said:

You didn't get the huge chunks of XP that DFB gives, and it was inherently self-limiting due to the necessity of keeping a low-level character as team leader so that the rest of the team continues to get XP. That it was still run regularly before the devs rolled out DFB says more about the stultifying nature of the original origin-based contacts than anything else -- if you had a Tech origin, you faced Clockwork; if you had a Magic origin, you were sent against Hellions; Science, it was Vahzilok (which had me avoiding Science origin characters for years on Live). Restoring the origin contacts, but having their missions spread out across the low-level villain groups after an initial origin-themed mission, and then offering a wider choice of introductions, would give players a better introduction to the NPCs and prevent characters from being locked into missions against groups they don't want to have to fight.

The addition of Matthew Habashy and his arc, with the follow-on contacts Sandra Costel and Officer Fields, at least changed things around a bit and made your initial opponents more uniform across origins. I have to agree, though, that Twinshot's arcs, being what amounts to an extended (and at times disjointed) tutorial, both starts too far into the game and is not well written.

Ok but people still ran sewers to bypass low level content.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:54 AM, srmalloy said:

Those additions were useful when they were new. We're looong past that. I pretty much don't do anything in Atas or Kings Row now having done all of that content to death nearly 50+ times.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 4:40 AM, Black Zot said:

People might be somewhat more inclined to run story content if the writing was somewhat better than utter dog shit.  Just saying.

Volunteering?

also, a pox on @Qwerty MacDoogal for resurrecting this thread. 🙂

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 5/26/2019 at 12:27 PM, RikOz said:

I just wish all the DFB/DiB LFG spammers would stand someplace else other than all clustered around Ms. Liberty. I've found myself running all the way to Back Alley Brawler to train levels a few times just to avoid having to fight my way through that crowd.

The same could be said for folks costume editing there as well.

The constant cluster in the plaza is one of the reasons I wish they'd give us Galaxy City back. It was quieter and so much less lag.

Regarding the topic, I'm not onboard with limiting runs in DfB/DiB for players. It'd be nice if there was a way to de-clutter the LFG channel, but then it's being used for the purpose for which it is intended.

I think one way to attract new players away from DfB/DiB XP runs is to perhaps have SG with members stationed in AP welcoming new characters and occasionally broadcasting teaming up for runs in the AP introductory contacts/missions. Perhaps use our own low-level characters.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 3/22/2021 at 5:26 PM, ZacKing said:

Ok but people still ran sewers to bypass low level content.

I remember being on a pre-DFB sewer team where the leader had a buddy roll alongside with an unteamed 50 rad defender throwing out AM and spamming heal aura while the team killed and got XP.

I love how in CoH you can find a group of 8 the moment you log into the world for the first time instead of hours of fetch quests like in other MMOs in order to reach your first dungeon.

If it's not DFB it's AE.  If it's not AE it's sewers.  If not sewers then it's a new server that doesn't force certain playstyles on players.

A nope from me.

Introduce more level 1 trials and now we're talkin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later
On 3/29/2021 at 7:57 AM, Haijinx said:

Has anyone ever gone from 1 - 50 just on DFB?

Yes, I did it on one of my first characters...

Once you hit 50 though, it's not over, There is still a ton more to do, and you spend more time doing it, than leveling.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

- Xoza Shadow (@Xoza)

Ordo Imperialis / Xoza.net

Everlasting / Excelsior

Arconu1MqVyK.png | Yuri'ko9E28NED.png | Xoza8lnHKLt.png | Nebulum3f2lHyL.png | NovaeZOOTsRk.png | Nebulae9sfLlss.png | ChellnFRzS1G.png | Rayn7KPkl2C.png | MendalarafBfruXW.png | TesliaHPucq9J.png | CybernetBlbsQUx.png | Teras Kasih1GKuZo.png | ArcstalkerXdnlqXI.png | Bull RushNG0EFBL.png

My Costume Archive | My Characters & CreationsMy Binds/Macros | My Club