In Memory of @Rose Vortex...

Frazier

Sunday at 3pm Central The Sisterhood SG will host it's weekly Sisterhood Sunday and do the Sister Psyche arc in memory and honor of one of our own fallen sisters. We lost @Rose Vortex today and want to run Sister Psyche as it was one of the things we as a SG loved to run even after it was no longer an official task force.

We all got 12 "bonus" years with her thanks to organ donors that allowed her to get two double lung transplants due to Cystic Fibrosis.

Anyone that wishes to join us is welcome to come join us. (On Excelsior)

@Frazier

@Daisy Diesel

and all the other leaders of The Sisterhood SG.

Edited by Frazier
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 16

I didn't know her.

But it pleases me that she knew us. This community is not to be undervalued.

• Like 4

UPDATED: v4.10 Technical Guide (27p7)... 158 pages of complete, comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

8 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I didn't know her.

I did.  She, her husband @Kalkin and I used to play together.

Rose came into this world with a countdown ticking away in her ear.  She understood her own mortality in a way very few of us will ever comprehend.  A lot of people, if they'd had to live with that, would never have bothered to try to do anything with their lives.  A lot of people who don't live with that never try to do anything with their lives, actually.  I was one of those people.  I wasn't doing anything with my life when I met Rose and Kal.  Working, to keep paying rent, so I could keep working.  That was my entire existence.  Meeting Rose and learning what she lived with, and how she dealt with it... she changed the direction of my life.

Rose knew she didn't have forever.  She didn't hate the world for that.  She didn't give up and lie in bed, waiting for the end.  She didn't turn to drugs or alcohol or some other self-destructive solution.  She accepted that she had only so long, and decided to use the time she had to be happy.  A career.  A husband.  A family.  Friends.  Love.  An ordinary life.  These were the things she wanted, and those were the things she reached out and grasped, held on to and reveled in.  And all of that was before I met her and Kal.

No-one I've ever known has amazed me more.  Rose had more courage, determination and dignity than I thought anyone could have.  Just knowing that she could face the kind of adversity she did, achieve everything she did, build the life she had, and still be one of the happiest and most thoughtful people I'd encountered... it affected me more profoundly than I can say.  She inspired me to do more, to do better, with my life.

Rose was my hero.  We tend to use that word a little too frequently, attaching it to people without really meaning it.  I mean it in this case.  Rose was my hero.  My life is infinitely better for having known her, for trying to live up to the example she set for me.  I wouldn't have this cabin, the land it's on, the confidence and inner peace I've developed, if it weren't for her.  Knowing that she was brave enough to get up off of her ass and do something with the time she had, while I, in my comparatively good health, just sat and waited to die... I was ashamed, and angry at myself, and determined to do better.  To be better.  To be more like Rose.

After her first transplant, we lost contact.  Rose and Kal went their way, I went mine.  I was actually delighted to see her leave Co*, though, because it meant she was out of that house.  It meant she was living, the way she had been before the CF grew really bad.  Over the years, I wondered what she'd done, how she and Kal were, and I wanted to let her know what I'd done and what she meant to me.  When I found these forums, the first thing I did was look through the reconnection posts to see if she and Kal were around, and when I saw that they were, I was thrilled.  I... I intended to play with her and Kal, but I just never got around to it.  I thought they'd always be there.  I thought she'd always be there.

There's a gaping hole inside me right now.  I've been crying since I read the announcement.  The world feels emptier without her, even though we weren't as close as some of you were with her.  I miss her.  I wanted to talk to her, to catch up with her, one more time, but I'm not sad because I didn't have a chance for closure.  I'm sad because my hero is gone.  But I'm looking around, reminding myself of everything I've done since we met, everything I did because she inspired me to do and be more, and I remind myself that Rose... Rose was strong, so I'll be strong, too.  And I hope I can do it half as well as she did.

@Kalkin, if there's anything I can do, for you or your family...

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 6

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

26 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Rose came into this world with a countdown ticking away in her ear.  She understood her own mortality in a way very few of us will ever comprehend.  A lot of people, if they'd had to live with that, would never have bothered to try to do anything with their lives.  A lot of people who don't live with that never try to do anything with their lives, actually.  I was one of those people.  I wasn't doing anything with my life when I met Rose and Kal.  Working, to keep paying rent, so I could keep working.  That was my entire existence.  Meeting Rose and learning what she lived with, and how she dealt with it... she changed the direction of my life.

Rose knew she didn't have forever.  She didn't hate the world for that.  She didn't give up and lie in bed, waiting for the end.  She didn't turn to drugs or alcohol or some other self-destructive solution.  She accepted that she had only so long, and decided to use the time she had to be happy.  A career.  A husband.  A family.  Friends.  Love.  An ordinary life.  These were the things she wanted, and those were the things she reached out and grasped, held on to and reveled in.  And all of that was before I met her and Kal.

No-one I've ever known has amazed me more.  Rose had more courage, determination and dignity than I thought anyone could have.  Just knowing that she could face the kind of adversity she did, achieve everything she did, build the life she had, and still be one of the happiest and most thoughtful people I'd encountered... it affected me more profoundly than I can say.  She inspired me to do more, to do better, with my life.

Rose was my hero.  We tend to use that word a little too frequently, attaching it to people without really meaning it.  I mean it in this case.  Rose was my hero.  My life is infinitely better for having known her, for trying to live up to the example she set for me.  I wouldn't have this cabin, the land it's on, the confidence and inner peace I've developed, if it weren't for her.  Knowing that she was brave enough to get up off of her ass and do something with the time she had, while I, in my comparatively good health, just sat and waited to die... I was ashamed, and angry at myself, and determined to do better.  To be better.  To be more like Rose.

After her first transplant, we lost contact.  Rose and Kal went their way, I went mine.  I was actually delighted to see her leave Co*, though, because it meant she was out of that house.  It meant she was living, the way she had been before the CF grew really bad.  Over the years, I wondered what she'd done, how she and Kal were, and I wanted to let her know what I'd done and what she meant to me.  When I found these forums, the first thing I did was look through the reconnection posts to see if she and Kal were around, and when I saw that they were, I was thrilled.  I... I intended to play with her and Kal, but I just never got around to it.  I thought they'd always be there.  I thought she'd always be there.

There's a gaping hole inside me right now.  I've been crying since I read the announcement.  The world feels emptier without her, even though we weren't as close as some of you were with her.  I miss her.  I wanted to talk to her, to catch up with her, one more time, but I'm not sad because I didn't have a chance for closure.  I'm sad because my hero is gone.  But I'm looking around, reminding myself of everything I've done since we met, everything I did because she inspired me to do and be more, and I remind myself that Rose... Rose was strong, so I'll be strong, too.  And I hope I can do it half as well as she did.

Thank you for sharing this very personal, very touching, very inspiring message.

Thank you, too, for reminding us that the measure of a life is in its impact on others. 

God bless you. And God bless Rose, her family, and those who knew her. 

• Like 5

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

My condolences for the loss and my warmest wishes for her family and friends

• Like 2

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

6 hours ago, Luminara said:

I couldn't agree with you more. We met through Sisterhood and I am so blessed that we did. The night of her first transplant I was up all night giving updates in game as @Kalkin gave them. We had already become close friends. we would joke we were "pain buddies" as I have a nerve disorder that cause chronic pain that is incurable and can be very devastating much like Cystic Fibrosis that she battled with. She was heading to Arkansas to be one of my "best people" at the family and friends wedding ceremony @Daisy Diesel and I planned. She instead had to be admitted to the hospital with fever. The day of our ceremony she wore the dress she had planned on wearing at the ceremony and told staff she was suppose to be at a wedding dang it.  We streamed the ceremony for her and Kal specifically. It wasn't long after that hospitalization she went back on the transplant list. She had periods where she would go radio silent on us. We always knew that meant she wasn't feeling well and she was worried about things with her lungs. It has been a long time since we have grown to love @RoseVortexand @Kalkin and their children like family. I'm so grateful she got to see her children finish high school, one finish college and the youngest grow in ways I know has made @RoseVortexso so proud. I so understand the hole and the crying. @LuminaraI would say she isn't gone at all. We keep her alive by allowing the example she set for all of us to grow and be shared with others.  Please reach out if you need to talk. *HUGS*

Frazier

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later

Thank you, @Frazier, @Da1syDiesel and @Luminara (and also the rest of you who commented or read this thread or participated in RoseVortex's Sisterhood memorial).

This is 24 hours after @RoseVortex's 2nd transplant in 2016.
image.thumb.png.563c867c8335c2081538022467500a7b.png

Walking the halls of the hospital after her 1st transplant in 2008, rocking the Arachnos Cape sent by the Paragon Devs (specifically WarWitch, but a bunch of them signed a poster and art book).

2528_800.jpg.62c5ddbec8fe4d80de10dd52ed690bed.jpg

This is her main Transplant #1 Hospital PT outfit in 2008, with the same Arachnos cape.
Also the hero she created 'Hospital Marauder' - BS/WP scrapper from that outfit.

image.png.a2807205782853412d55583007dc7061.png

2015 and 2013.  She started doing the purple hair (and it became her signature with all the folks we encountered) because she liked how it looked on her Hospital Marauder toon.

Obituary of Allison Christine Feldman

I haven't tried to even launch the game in about a year, because she was so frustrated trying to play with her hand-tremors and coordination impacts from all the medications.  I felt like I shouldn't be playing if she couldn't.

The City was our place to Go Out And Do Some Stuff before her first transplant in 2008.  She was excited to see the rebirth, and Annoyed With Death Ray Laser Eyes that her body wouldn't let her enjoy playing the game again.

Go be heroes and villains and all in-between.  You might see me around again on Excelsior.

Kalkin

Edited by Kalkin
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

On 2/13/2021 at 6:47 PM, Frazier said:

We all got 12 "bonus" years with her thanks to organ donors that allowed her to get two double lung transplants due to Cystic Fibrosis.

For a long, long, time, I was not an organ donor. It just felt creepy. Who wants to know that, after you die, they're going to scoop out your eyeballs, harvest some lungs and kidneys, a liver, and generally go all Doc Vahzilok on your corpse? 

It was reading stories like this, over my 20's and 30's that finally got me to tick that checkbox when I renewed my license in my mid-40's.

If it's not a theological non-starter for people.... keep stories like Rose's in mind, next time you get that "time to renew your license" email.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, MTeague said:

For a long, long, time, I was not an organ donor. It just felt creepy. Who wants to know that, after you die, they're going to scoop out your eyeballs, harvest some lungs and kidneys, a liver, and generally go all Doc Vahzilok on your corpse? 

It was reading stories like this, over my 20's and 30's that finally got me to tick that checkbox when I renewed my license in my mid-40's.

If it's not a theological non-starter for people.... keep stories like Rose's in mind, next time you get that "time to renew your license" email.

@MTeague, that's one reason RoseV and I shared her story back on the original COH Forums.  Thank you for being a Donor.  The life you might save someday will be a stranger, but I can promise they will be beyond grateful for the extra time. Literally half of our 25-year marriage existed because of our two donors (and their families for agreeing to it).  RoseV's first transplant literally came on her 34th birthday. I was never able to come up with a good birthday gift after that.  I can't pay our donors back, but I can pay their gift forward by getting other people to sign up, and by talking about the transplant experience.

If you're reading this and you're in the US and you want to sign up, you can register right now at https://registerme.org/ and it will redirect to your state registry.  If you do sign up, tell your family and friends!  They need to know your wishes because if the time ever comes, you won't be there to tell them.

In-game, RoseV always hated the Vahzilok most of all, she would pick Science origin for new toons just so she could go after them again as the antithesis of organ donation.  We started plotting out an AE arc once on Live about her toons going after Dr. Vahz.  Someday I may sit down and construct it.

Kalkin

• Like 3

Kalkin,

I did not get the opportunity to know her.  Thank you for sharing this.  Rose was amazing and very beautiful person.  Those photos are wonderful.

You are too.  When you said 

7 hours ago, Kalkin said:

I haven't tried to even launch the game in about a year, because she was so frustrated trying to play with her hand-tremors and coordination impacts from all the medications.  I felt like I shouldn't be playing if she couldn't.

it really touched my heart.  You are a very loving person.

Thank you and bless you.

• Like 3

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

I never knew RoseVortex or Kalkin, but you both sound as good people. I loved reading the stories in this thread.

I am sorry for your loss.

One of the long time friends I play this game multiple times a week with is also a Cystic Fibrosis patient so this does hit a little closer to home.

Edited by RogerWilco
  • Like 2

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

I just discovered this thread... And I am sorry for everyone's loos here with Rose's passing. I did not know her, but she sounded like a true hero and a inspiration to everyone here, and in real life as well. It is not often that we see a Angel in our lives, but when we do we know it. Rose seem's like a Angel to me, and though she is gone from the mortal realm, he light still shines bright and is not fogotten. We tend to forget that are lives are like a pebble thrown into a pond; the rings ripple out to touch everything in one way or another. And if we strive to be the best we can be, despite any circumstances we may have to deal with, we can only pray that those rings inspire and affect others in a positive and meaningful way. Rose did that, and for that alone (if nothing else), she is a Angel. Love matters, because if love doesn't matter... nothing matters. And Rose mattered! I would have liked to have met this Shining Star, but alas I cannot in this life. But for all who did, glory in her love, kindness, and light. Because it could have gone the other way...

Love matters...

Peace...

1606404475455.jpg

• Like 2

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

17 hours ago, RogerWilco said:

I never knew RoseVortex or Kalkin, but you both sound as good people. I loved reading the stories in this thread.

I am sorry for your loss.

One of the long time friends I play this game multiple times a week with is also a Cystic Fibrosis patient so this does hit a little closer to home.

Thank you.  She had a lot of friends in the original City (mostly on Liberty, but we proliferated some when COV was separate still).  We still keep in touch with many of them after the shutdown, even IRL. (I know, who plays *that* game?)  She got on to chat a few times after the Homecoming servers came up with some of the others, and I'm glad she had the chance.

In one sense, we traded the Lung Transplants for at least the breathing parts of Cystic Fibrosis, but the CF was always there under the hood.  Breathing Is Fundamental - so often that was the main focus. The CF-related liver and diabetes disorders - which were not even an actual diagnosis when we first got married, because CF patients didn't usually live that long - are what crept in and led toward her final end.  She was in a race between the donor lungs having rejection, liver failure from CF, and then her kidneys failed while in ICU. Just too much, no matter how much Willpower she kicked in.

I hope your friend is able to take some of the new CF treatments they have come up with like Trikafta.  As expensive as they may be, its a game-changer to finally have a CF-specific medication that fixes the broken gene's effects.  The kids today who take the new drugs may never get to the stage of needing a lung transplant at all, or at least they can push it further out.  It's like when they found a way for diabetics to be able to take insulin in some ways.  Just not something we got to leverage in the end, but I hope others do.

• Sad 1