So how tall do you guys make your characters?

Beef Ninja

Depends on the character concept, however my tanks and brutes are usually max height regardless of body type (with one or two exceptions for character concepts). When I'm not playing a tank or brute I generally try to follow wherever the tank or brute is going and I like being able to quickly spot them in a crowd, so I try to make my tank and brute toons visible.

Depends on the character's role, backstory, abilities.

But on max height toons I'll use another costume slot to switch to min height like for caves.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

I usually stay around my actual height ( 6' 4" ) just so the view I have of the world matches what I would see if I was actually there. I have a few smaller toons here and there, but no taller ones, I never really enjoyed being tall, probably because my Dad was 5' 6" and I thought the world of him. ( He was born in 1918 and has been gone for many years now ). The height really doesn't seem to effect any aspect of game play as far as I can tell including Enemies spotting you, except maybe in PVP.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

All my characters have minimum height settings, 4 ft tall or whatever that happens to be. It affects your camera angle, and so i cant bring myself to make any character taller because i am so used to playing with the same character height. Going through doorways and such feels awfully awkward to me on taller characters. Auras and some power fx that cloak your character also look different with different sizes and heights. I generally get a kick out of being a tiny speeding ball of death and destruction.

• Like 2

Currently on fire.

2 hours ago, Beef Ninja said:

Wait, you can do that?!

I can't find the post where I learned, but what you do is:

Save the costume you want to make taller or shorter, like "toontaller".

Find the costume in the costumes folder where you installed COH.

Open that up in notepad, find the "Scale" number. Should be near the top.

Change that number to as high 35, or as low as -35. Anymore and the chance for character corruption is high. Save it.

Go to a Surgeon NPC. Not a regular tailor, has to be a surgeon, there's one in every Icon.

Select the costume slot you want to be taller, than select the edited costume from your list. You should see your character shoot down or up in height after you exit the tailor, it's not as noticeable in the tailor itself.

If you don't want to lose the height, only change that costume at regular Icon tailors, if you go back to a surgeon you'll have to reset the process if you save from them as it defaults you to the nearest ingame max.

You should see the difference when you switch to another costume slot and back.

• Thanks 2

Height I choose depends on the character I’m making, their backstory and sometimes because the costume pieces I want look “funny” if their leg/torso height isn’t set just right.  So it’s a lot of “depends on....” stuff.

However, I will say reading your post that I occasionally run into a situation where I apply a pre-saved costume file to a character that has been manually adjusted to a height/size that wasn’t intended for the original costume.  I can get some wonky results when that happens, including logging in the character only to watch them suddenly grow/shrink.  I’m guessing costume files sometimes include body slider measures, but I’m not sure.  So I sometimes end up having to go back to the cosmetic surgeon and manually tinkering with the sliders again to get things fixed.

3 hours ago, Verfall said:

I can't find the post where I learned, but what you do is:

Save the costume you want to make taller or shorter, like "toontaller".

Find the costume in the costumes folder where you installed COH.

Open that up in notepad, find the "Scale" number. Should be near the top.

Change that number to as high 35, or as low as -35. Anymore and the chance for character corruption is high. Save it.

Go to a Surgeon NPC. Not a regular tailor, has to be a surgeon, there's one in every Icon.

Select the costume slot you want to be taller, than select the edited costume from your list. You should see your character shoot down or up in height after you exit the tailor, it's not as noticeable in the tailor itself.

If you don't want to lose the height, only change that costume at regular Icon tailors, if you go back to a surgeon you'll have to reset the process if you save from them as it defaults you to the nearest ingame max.

You should see the difference when you switch to another costume slot and back.

Just tried this. Pretty neat, too bad it's only like 1 foot of a difference though.

This is a thing a lot of games seem to have problems with... inconsistent scaling.  Champions Online is one of the worst.  Star Trek Online is too.  I mean, they introduced some of the characters to the game from the shows, like Worf.  Now, I made my Klingon as tall as was possible, but Worf STILL towers over him.  I'm pretty sure Michael Dorn isn't 8 feet tall...

Ya, I just wish there was some consistency.  They put height measurements on the scaling screen, surely they could USE them?

I made a character based on myself.  I'm 5'10" but in the game I look like a child, I'm so much shorter than any of the NPCs.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2021 at 9:29 AM, Beef Ninja said:

So awhile back I made a female character who I just left with the default sliders and while playing I noticed that civilians where towering over her, and ever since I've made sure to always change female characters height to match the default male height when designing costumes. Then the other day I finally made one of those designs an actual in game character, and I noticed that she was weirdly taller than the roided out Destroyers... I just can't win.

Anyway what are your opinions? How tall is to tall? How tall is not tall enough?

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2021 at 9:52 AM, EmperorSteele said:

Yeah, a lot of the civvie NPCs are like 7 feet tall for some wierd reason.

So, here's the thing about "average" height in CoH (this is all going off of memory, so the details may be off).  When the game launched, the height slider maxed out at 7 feet.  Players wanted to make their characters taller, but the devs didn't want to do the work of altering the world to accommodate 8-foot tall characters, or making the characters larger would do odd  things with the sliders, or there was some other technical reason that made it difficult to do (I don't recall exactly, and I've heard multiple reasons given).  So instead what they did was change the scale on the slider in the character creator.  "7 feet" got relabeled as "8 feet," and the rest of the scale adjusted accordingly.  So a character who was previously 7 feet tall was now 8 feet tall.  Not that they were physically any taller though; only the labels changed.  What this means is that the starting heights and average heights were now all physically shorter than they had previously been.

But this change only applied to players' characters.  All the NPCs in the world were not rescaled.  So if for example an NPC was previously 6 feet tall, when measured against the new scale they were suddenly 6' 10", relative to player character heights.  Or, to compare in the other direction, a player character set to 6 feet on the new scale would only be 5' 3" compared to the NPCs.

So this is why when you make a character "average" height, it seems like a lot of NPCs tower over them.  The CoH devs effectively "shrunk" the player character scale.  Players wanted to be able to make their characters taller, but relatively speaking, the dev's solution had the opposite effect.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2021 at 2:17 PM, KauaiJim said:

Also, I am in total agreement about adjusting the 'leg' slider down on most toons.  Middle setting just looks to odd for me. 

Yep!  Typical human proportions are a torso to leg ratio between 1:1.1 to 1:1.5.  The default leg length in CoH gives a ratio of about 1:2 (rough estimate), so yes, they are significantly longer than normal and appear a bit unnatural.

Edited by Tigraine

This is something that always bothered me. I make my characters normal human height unless their backstory dictates otherwise (IE the cosmic beings, demi-gods, etc). It's irritating to have my "normal-sized" character stand next to a huge civilian, but what can you do? I am not going to make all my characters 7' +

Max height or 6' on the scale (which is actually proportionally 5' in CoX). Average is boring. I'm a superhero. I'm not here to be average.

6 hours ago, Tigraine said:

Yep!  Typical human proportions are a torso to leg ratio between 1:1.1 to 1:1.5.  The default leg length in CoH gives a ratio of about 1:2 (rough estimate), so yes, they are significantly longer than normal and appear a bit unnatural.

I'm a 'leg man' so I actually max out the leg length for female characters. CoX is actually rather unique in allowing me to do that and having a woman with notably long legs. I also like that it's not a huge slider, so I can't, through the magic of character creation screens never having a way to see the character in-game to compare it to the rest of the world and NPC's, accidentally make a woman with hilariously unnaturally long legs.

Edited by SaintD

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

1 hour ago, SaintD said:

I'm a 'leg man' so I actually max out the leg length for female characters. CoX is actually rather unique in allowing me to do that and having a woman with notably long legs. I also like that it's not a huge slider, so I can't, through the magic of character creation screens never having a way to see the character in-game to compare it to the rest of the world and NPC's, accidentally make a woman with hilariously unnaturally long legs.

The interesting thing is that the leg slider does not seem to be a linear scale.  The difference from the default (mid) point to the maximum is much less than the difference from mid to minimum.  So going to max only makes the legs a little bit longer than the default, but dropping them to minimum makes them a lot shorter.

Always based on character conception for me, so all my characters are different sizes regardless of body type selection.

I don't think I have any that are at default size.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

The NPCs (e.g. Council Marksmen) that tower above tall/monstrous characters has always bothered me, so often I will also make my characters taller. Or, I just adopt Ninja Run so that my characters are always crouched.

Alternately, I will make "kids" or "teen" heroes, and carry the illusion that they aren't done growing.

The height bothers me far less than the typical waists of female characters. There isn't enough room in there for any inspirations!