Foldspace why do yall love it?

RageusQuitus2

I dont get it.  Short distance, needs line of sight.  By the time I might even need to use it....  Everyone speaks so highly of it since the pool revamp but im  struggling to see the improvement to pool period.  Let alone this power that I thought was supposed to be a centerpiece of the revamped pool.

Hover just out of melee range,  fold space,  then drop blizzard and freezing rain and snow storm and tornado and lightning cloud.  

Its useful while in groups with a lot of AoE going on.  I use it alot in an ITF and during a MSR.

• Like 1

Short?  It's a 100ft radius and it can hit 16 targets.  It's the fastest way to take a scattered mob and bunch it up for AoE obliteration.

That said... it's like Knockback sometimes.   Some people know how to use it on a team.  Some don't.  And some embody the phrase, "When all you have is a hammer... everything looks like a nail."  Sometimes it just isn't necessary.  I've seen people take an already fairly bunched up spawn and just move it to their location for no good reason, screwing a few of their teammates out of AoEs already in progress.

It's a great tool though if you are smart how you use it on a team.  Solo, I imagine it's quite good.  I usually can't find the room for it because I'm not much a fan of Teleport for travel.

53 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Some people know how to use it on a team.  Some don't. 

qouted for true!  Meanwhile im 3boxing an all MM team....  Truth hurts.  \

I finding some pluses.  It will pull bosses, tp foe cant.  And group a spread mob up is solid with tar patch and bots burn.

With enough time passed for the hype to simmer down, I've become more enthused by Combat Teleport than Fold Space.  CT may well become a standard "got to have" power for my meleers going forward.

As for Fold Space, the playerbase needs to arrive at some unwritten rules.  Like, if you hear or see it used by someone else during a fight, don't use it for the remainder of that fight (with special exceptions, as ever).  It's *bang headdesk* time for me whenever I use it and then everyone gets ported away 5 seconds later.

At this point, if I find there's dueling Fold Spaces I'll refrain from using mine.

With the long base cooldown (120 seconds) you have to give it at least 1 slot, likely 2 due to the needed accuracy.  For a bonus junky like me that's a steep price to pay.

For Warshades that don't need to use up a pool and go 3 deep into it, it's A+.  For everyone else, eh, I'm no longer making special effort to fit it in.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

With enough time passed for the hype to simmer down, I've become more enthused by Combat Teleport than Fold Space.  CT may well become a standard "got to have" power for my meleers going forward.

As for Fold Space, the playerbase needs to arrive at some unwritten rules.  Like, if you hear or see it used by someone else during a fight, don't use it for the remainder of that fight (with special exceptions, as ever).  It's *bang headdesk* time for me whenever I use it and then everyone gets ported away 5 seconds later.

At this point, if I find there's dueling Fold Spaces I'll refrain from using mine.

With the long base cooldown (120 seconds) you have to give it at least 1 slot, likely 2 due to the needed accuracy.  For a bonus junky like me that's a steep price to pay.

For Warshades that don't need to use up a pool and go 3 deep into it, it's A+.  For everyone else, eh, I'm no longer making special effort to fit it in.

Jaunt is better than Combat Teleport tho 😉

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I've only used it on my Warshade, but it's great for Warshade solo since it makes landing Eclipses and Mires so much cleaner.  I normally don't touch the Teleportation pool since I find using teleport powers a little clunky.  

2 hours ago, arcane said:

Jaunt is better than Combat Teleport tho 😉

Combat Teleport has a +ToHit after use, and doesn't require draining endurance by leaving Speed of Sound active.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Just now, ZorkNemesis said:

Combat Teleport has a +ToHit after use, and doesn't require draining endurance by leaving Speed of Sound active.

I find it hard to believe there are a lot of experienced character builders making characters that rely on Combat Teleport to hit their hit chance cap. I never leave that chance short of perma 95%.

Second point sorta legit but I always run Super Speed or Speed of Sound anyway so irrelevant to me.

So those two points against Jaunt’s double range. I choose the range unless I want Fold Space too.

47 minutes ago, arcane said:

I find it hard to believe there are a lot of experienced character builders making characters that rely on Combat Teleport to hit their hit chance cap.

Hai you might remember me from such threads as "Foldspace why do yall love it" and posts like

4 hours ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

Meanwhile im 3boxing an all MM team....  Truth hurts. 

So what is the To hit cap should I choose to chase it?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

Hai you might remember me from such threads as "Foldspace why do yall love it" and posts like

So what is the To hit cap should I choose to chase it?

I said hit chance cap (95%) not tohit cap. Just saying I have zero characters built to leave their hit chance up to a short duration power.

4 hours ago, Hedgefund said:

I was testing out a DP/Dark blaster with Concealment and Teleport on Brsinstorm this morning.  (Quick, name the build inspiration!)  Dark Pit followed by CT, Soul Drain, and Hail of Bullets is really really good.  I might see about CT's feasibility with chasing runners next, I can see a use there.

Everlasting's Actionette 

Also Wolfhound, Starwave, Blue Gale, Relativity Rabbit, and many more!

2 hours ago, arcane said:

I said hit chance cap (95%) not tohit cap. Just saying I have zero characters built to leave their hit chance up to a short duration power.

My bad I understand the 95% ceiling.

What Im not sure of is how use mids builds,. look at an attack power, with its IO slotting (any accuracy IOs), then any acc or to hit bonuses from powers/ slotting and set bonuses, to calculate if im at 95%. 

I usually just wing it as im chasing other stuff.  Is there an easy way to kinda rough estimate it/eyeball it?  If not just drop it arcane, Im not looking for anyone to spend alot of time teaching me.  When Im ready Ill do a deep dive.

Edited by RageusQuitus2

9 hours ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

I dont get it.  Short distance, needs line of sight.  By the time I might even need to use it....  Everyone speaks so highly of it since the pool revamp but im  struggling to see the improvement to pool period.  Let alone this power that I thought was supposed to be a centerpiece of the revamped pool.

*Hovers over the blender in an MSR. Pops Ultimate. Drops big piles of rikti to be ground up. Rinse, repeat.*

Also lovely with a Warshade that likes Eclipse and Mire.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I took fold space on my time/sonic defender and fell in love with it. It's so useful for gathering trash that's widely spread out or patrols that are strung out in a line, or stuff that a badly-played immobilize or knockback user scatters. People are always happy when you teleport critters into their debuff patches or kill zones. It can be used to aggro multiple groups that are close together (port a slice of each group together and kill them; their friends will follow). I wish there were more effects like this that pull enemies in, rather than the rarely-useful knockback; maybe we can get a harpoon power someday?

I have noticed fold space has some quirks that make it not as good as it looks on first glance. Sometimes the game puts all the enemies in a lump to one side of me which makes them slightly off-target. Sometimes enemies that seem to be in line of sight actually are not because obstacles have larger hitboxes than they appear to. And it doesn't seem to work on Sky Raider aircraft, I assume because their hitbox is so big and the game's collision prevention stops it from working.

I do agree with comments that say Combat Teleport is a hidden gem of the set, though. It's very, very fast and places you exactly where you want to go. You can teleport through doors blocked by enemies/critters with it, teleport up to a balcony from the ground, teleport out of Battle Maiden's falling swords, etc. If you have to reposition to use both cones and melee attacks it can be faster than hopping. In a game of lengthy animations, it's fun to use and makes you feel like an agile, mobile combatant.

My biggest problem with Fold Space is that the characters I'd want to try it on, I don't want to go 3 picks into Teleport because nothing else in the set helps that character function or fits the concept.

Oh well.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

I use it in 3 different ways -

1. On my Robots MM, i can stand in my own fire and pull enemies to where I want them to be, in my stacked t3 pets fire patches and my bonfires. This works on the ground, but also works VERY well with group fly, because you can hover right where you want them to be, use fold space, and they appear mid air next to you, and they "drop" right below you.

2. On my Tanker, it helps group things up when I use a PBAOE, which could be many things - either straight damage, or even on something like /shield or /bio for maximum targets affected, and so bigger buffs. It also helps with "corner pulling" or LOS pulls if that's a concern. You can also pull things up to your level if you are above them, or below if you are under them. 

3. I also use them to pull runners back, or to pull mobs away from team mates that are in trouble. I've found that its possible to "cheat" with it as well, combining it with knockback heavy sets like /storm is good for a giggle. I was on a team with another who had fold space and we sort of played ping-pong with the mobs, tossing them back from one to another as we engaged different packs. I've found that you can also pull down flying mobs down to you which is also convenient.

So there's really all kinds of neat ways to use a tool that pulls mobs to yourself.

PS - 

4. Just remembered this one. On my Dominator, you can use it to pull enemies into your CC effects, like creepers and so on. This is particularly useful against some enemies like Dark Mages that like to stay ranged and pewpew at you.

Edited by Neiska
Added a PS

7 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

That ToHit is kind of crap though.  Have it kick in a little sooner and last a little longer, and maybe it's a bonus worth talking about. 

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

10 hours ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

Is there an easy way to kinda rough estimate it/eyeball it?

I think it's pretty easy.  On mid's you go to options>config>exemping and base values.  Then change your base tohit chance to either 48 (to check for up to +3 enemies) or 39 (for +4).  Then when you hover over each of your powers you can see if their hit chance is at 95% in info pane on the bottom left.

Edited by Pzn

Fold space is fun on a tank. Not so much on my traps corruptor that couldnt teleport grey freakshow from across the street in brickstown.

Give it a go. A 4 lane highway is almost 100ft so anything on the otherside of the street can be out of range depending on how far back you are 

I find it has a lot of use on my /devices blaster, and frankly one could use the same logic to argue for it's use on any toon that utilizes a lot of ground based location powers like Trick Arrow, Traps, Ice Blasters, Bonfire users.

Also useful for toons that rely on density like warshades, kinetics, drain soul/dark consumption, etc.

That all said 3 picks in is kinda steep, but teleport as a travel power is the fastest means of travel in the game so it balances out, especially since recall and tp for got combined.

16 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

That all said 3 picks in is kinda steep, but teleport as a travel power is the fastest means of travel in the game

I know thats commonly said but i dont find it so in practice.  Lots of hang time between back to back to back tp.  And the occasional lag/misfire sending you the wrong direction.  Dont get me started on team tp and its flaws.  Still i take it on most of my MMs.