Any new system, update or new costume pieces coming soon? I think its needed

Mariposa

Haven't played the game in a while after leveling and slotting many alts.

I think the game needs some kind of updates even if they are small ones. I know the team is small, but why not unlock certain costume pieces at least?

Like NPCs weapons for back slot, think dual katanas and weapons overall. NPCs hairstyles, like Desdemona or Mother Mayhem, the hoods with hair the Oracles have, stuff like that?

I kinda wish there was some NPCs costume pieces unlocked for us. Why are the HC devs so reticent to do this?

I think some npc costume pieces remain npc only for several reasons.  Sometimes they are busy doing other things and havent gotten around to it.  Some costume pieces dont work like they appear to work,  i think the sybil robes are a belt. Some npc are meant to keep their unique looks - tyrant for a signature npc and the freakshow for an enemy group are examples.  I do expect there will be more costume pieces released in the future but i expect some pieces will always be npc exclusive.

• Like 1

Well, there was a bunch of new things added to the AE recently for Cimerora, some of which is stuff that not only wasn't in the AE before but that I've not seen in the game before.  Unless anyone else can point me towards Nictus infused Minotaurs?  So that bodes well and you can infer what you like from it. I've used some of it in "Three Sisters", the arc id is in my sig, if anyone wants a look.

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

12 hours ago, Mariposa said:

Haven't played the game in a while after leveling and slotting many alts.

I think the game needs some kind of updates even if they are small ones. I know the team is small, but why not unlock certain costume pieces at least?

Like NPCs weapons for back slot, think dual katanas and weapons overall. NPCs hairstyles, like Desdemona or Mother Mayhem, the hoods with hair the Oracles have, stuff like that?

I kinda wish there was some NPCs costume pieces unlocked for us. Why are the HC devs so reticent to do this?

You said it yourself, the team is small.

The team is also volunteer. This isn't anyone's job.

They're not being evil or gunshy. They do what they can, when they can, as they can. That's all there is to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

There's a rumor that somebody is working on a thing, where you go to that one place, and you click something, and then something happens. Or maybe some other stuff happens. But don't quote me on that.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

3 hours ago, MHertz said:

There's a rumor that somebody is working on a thing, where you go to that one place, and you click something, and then something happens. Or maybe some other stuff happens. But don't quote me on that.

Oops. Sorry, I quoted you.

But you might be right...unless you're not.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, TheZag said:

... i think the sybil robes are a belt...

They're not a belt, but need that Roman Sybil belt to complete it. When I played around with those pieces in Titan Icon I found that the sybil chest piece ends exactly where the Roman Sybil belt begins. The belt's rear part is off the body of the character and that's where the lower part of the sybil robe starts.

Here's some of what I'm talking about, and the Corsair belt covers up the side of the Sybil robe that doesn't reach the normal waist line.  This is from Titan Icon. (That green color is not available in the game 😞 ). I edit the costume files directly which can be loaded onto characters in Titan Icon.  Some pieces not available can work in certain circumstances but my suggestions on the Suggestion forum seem to go unheard or not worth dev time. *shrug* 

lounging grt 1b.png

3 hours ago, gamingglen said:

but my suggestions on the Suggestion forum seem to go unheard or not worth dev time. *shrug*

12 hours ago, Greycat said:

The team is small.

The team is also volunteer. This isn't anyone's job.

They're not being evil or gunshy. They do what they can, when they can, as they can. That's all there is to it.

(To which can be added, in some cases, we're missing tools, and/or some NPC pieces "do weird things" on characters.)

And yes, I *do* feel the need to reiterate that. The team here looks through suggestions. They don't necessarily (and shouldn't be expected to) give feedback on anything there, and *certainly* aren't going to make promises that might not work out.

If a dev likes it, can do it, and thinks it's worth their time - since they're the only ones making that determination, not anyone here, no matter how many forumites might say "it's not worth their time," - then, well, you'll see it added in a patch note. But don't take *lack* of feedback from the team as being unheard or "unworthy of time."

• Thanks 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

No, nope, that's too sensible.  There must be some conspiracy to not do things and someone to blame for it.

• Haha 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

10 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

No, nope, that's too sensible.  There must be some conspiracy ...

Yeah, thanks, Statesman. Way to go, with that secret pact with Arachnos to keep people from wearing Circle of Thorns robes.

• Haha 2

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

5 hours ago, Greycat said:

(To which can be added, in some cases, we're missing tools, and/or some NPC pieces "do weird things" on characters.)

And yes, I *do* feel the need to reiterate that. The team here looks through suggestions. They don't necessarily (and shouldn't be expected to) give feedback on anything there, and *certainly* aren't going to make promises that might not work out.

If a dev likes it, can do it, and thinks it's worth their time - since they're the only ones making that determination, not anyone here, no matter how many forumites might say "it's not worth their time," - then, well, you'll see it added in a patch note. But don't take *lack* of feedback from the team as being unheard or "unworthy of time."

I understand all that.  A couple costume pieces seem to be an easy add, IMO,  with minor clipping which can be compensated for by players (e.g., make same color as other piece being clipped or find another piece that covers that area). Also, it was a roundabout way of telling the OP that things have been suggested.

Costume pieces are most likely low on any priority list. 

Edited by gamingglen

I can agree  with the OP that well as a looter the games loot is very stale. New IO sets, and other shiny shiny to motivate. I wont lie it is a large part of what keeps me on games like Warframe and Path of Exile. Warframes riven system makes it so you have an endless form of RNG based boosts to every weapon in the game, allowing players to take even low teir starter weapons and get them worthy of high end content with time,luck, and mat sinking to change the effects RNG wise on the things.

Path of exile every league brings new Uniques, including what are called buil enabling uniques that have special effects found on no other item and allow a player to create entire new never before seen builds when utilized. They also have passive skill jewels with RNG aspects that can further allow a character to specialize in truly unique ways beyon the already massive fleixible tree, and make a character literally unique and 1 of a kind that no one can likely replicate without insane RNG luck getting the exact same effects on the jewel which is highly unlikely.

Stale rewards are a sadly very sure fire way to get tired of the endless battle. Hell at this point I would take a single charge and no cap on max charges special summons for each AV we beat down, and get another charge each time we beat them down. At least that would be useful and amusing for a while. Heck it would even be a reason to go red side to collect hero AVs on my hero character for allies and vice versa .

No offense to the OP view, but I wouldn't call the addition of asymmetrical costume components nothing.  That has fired the creativity of many, myself included.  Likewise the ability for illusion players to have their pets mirror their looks (handled via the costume creator) is also fantastic.

I could wish for a lot more, sure, and I've had a lot of thoughts towards that, but as @Greycat noted, it's a small, volunteer team.  Of necessity, their day jobs and personal lives come first.

My only real wish is that I could get my hands on training material for the software that costumes are made by.  It may be simple compared to what the big league folk do, but I'd love to create more chest emblems for the game to help out.  Sadly, it probably takes a degree in game technology.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

My only real wish is that I could get my hands on training material for the software that costumes are made by.  It may be simple compared to what the big league folk do, but I'd love to create more chest emblems for the game to help out.  Sadly, it probably takes a degree in game technology.

Yeah, I'd help with that, too.  I would like to put sliders on the color chart. But I'm about 20 years out of date on newer computer languages. I did look at PERL and saw it was very similar to Pascal  and C, so I could handle that after some dusting the rust off the ol' noggin'.  🙂 

I have no idea what's under the CoX hood but sounds like lots of bailing wire and duct tape. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Llewellyn Blackwell said:

I can agree  with the OP that well as a looter the games loot is very stale. New IO sets, and other shiny shiny to motivate. I wont lie it is a large part of what keeps me on games like Warframe and Path of Exile. Warframes riven system makes it so you have an endless form of RNG based boosts to every weapon in the game, allowing players to take even low teir starter weapons and get them worthy of high end content with time,luck, and mat sinking to change the effects RNG wise on the things.

Path of exile every league brings new Uniques, including what are called buil enabling uniques that have special effects found on no other item and allow a player to create entire new never before seen builds when utilized. They also have passive skill jewels with RNG aspects that can further allow a character to specialize in truly unique ways beyon the already massive fleixible tree, and make a character literally unique and 1 of a kind that no one can likely replicate without insane RNG luck getting the exact same effects on the jewel which is highly unlikely.

Stale rewards are a sadly very sure fire way to get tired of the endless battle. Hell at this point I would take a single charge and no cap on max charges special summons for each AV we beat down, and get another charge each time we beat them down. At least that would be useful and amusing for a while. Heck it would even be a reason to go red side to collect hero AVs on my hero character for allies and vice versa .

That sort of stuff you described is, I'm willing to bet, a serious head ache to develop: one misstep and you've OPed every min/maxer, who'll howl when you have to strip that stuff back out of the game (while al;so saying it's all to easy now).

Ultimately it sounds to me like you've just played CoH a LOT and that it might be time to take a break.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

That sort of stuff you described is, I'm willing to bet, a serious head ache to develop: one misstep and you've OPed every min/maxer, who'll howl when you have to strip that stuff back out of the game (while al;so saying it's all to easy now).

Ultimately it sounds to me like you've just played CoH a LOT and that it might be time to take a break.

Sorry but taking a break does not ever fix the need for new shiny shiny. Looter motivation is a core motivation in the RPG genre going back to the earliest days of P&P table top gaming. You literally invalidate yourself even suggesting taking a break by the way as that is a well established non point in gaming forum debates.  I enjoy the game play loop of COX very much and always will but new loot and new ways to create a build with that loot is a core mechanic of the genre that if ignored kills player interest like nothing else will. To even try to deflect or argue against this suggest to me you actually want to keep HC from ever growing beyond our modest little community of extremely fragmented players. Not surprising considering some of the stuff you have posted before, makes me think you dont even play anymore and seek to drive others away.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

17 minutes ago, Llewellyn Blackwell said:

Sorry but taking a break does not ever fix the need for new shiny shiny. Looter motivation is a core motivation in the RPG genre going back to the earliest days of P&P table top gaming. You literally invalidate yourself even suggesting taking a break by the way as that is a well established non point in gaming forum debates.  I enjoy the game play loop of COX very much and always will but new loot and new ways to create a build with that loot is a core mechanic of the genre that if ignored kills player interest like nothing else will. To even try to deflect or argue against this suggest to me you actually want to keep HC from ever growing beyond our modest little community of extremely fragmented players. Not surprising considering some of the stuff you have posted before, makes me think you dont even play anymore and seek to drive others away.

Haha this thread will be FUN to watch in a little bit. 

Just hang tight for a little longer. Y’all will see it’ll be worth it!

Edited by Seed22
  • Haha 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

• City Council

There's some stuff coming to beta fairly soon.

The big problem with adding "loot" is that there's already a lot of power creep in the game, and adding more of that is not a recipe for a healthy game unless there's something to do with that higher power level. That's why a lot of our focus has been on getting the content creation pipeline flowing, so that there is a steady stream of fresh missions, task forces, etc. to lessen the repetitiveness.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Number Six said:

There's some stuff coming to beta fairly soon.

The big problem with adding "loot" is that there's already a lot of power creep in the game, and adding more of that is not a recipe for a healthy game unless there's something to do with that higher power level. That's why a lot of our focus has been on getting the content creation pipeline flowing, so that there is a steady stream of fresh missions, task forces, etc. to lessen the repetitiveness.

I’m insanely hype for that new content. Gives me a reason to dust off my T4 50s

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

1 hour ago, Llewellyn Blackwell said:

... you actually want to keep HC from ever growing beyond our modest little community of extremely fragmented players.

YES!
Exactly.  I hate people. Why the constant perverse desire to expand the playerbase?
If I wanted to meet new people or expand my social circles in anyway I would shut off my computer and go outside. 
The very last thing I need is metaphoric new neighbors throwing loud parties and shooting off bottle rockets riding ATVs in the woods behind my house.
I do not understand the desire to ruin the things you love by sharing them with strangers.
Let's just keep this video game between us.. please.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Haha this thread will be FUN to watch in a little bit.

Ha, not from me anyways.  I don't resort to ad hominem attacks.  Usually.  😃

Go have fun!