Question re: the HC wiki

Generator

I *believe* you need to set up an account there, but it's been a bit.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Good on ya. There's so much that needs to be done to bring the wiki up to, say, 2019.

But oddly, every time I suggest this, I add to my collection of thumbs-downs. It's as if I'm suggesting we fix up that second amendment thingy or something. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I mean it's right there in the language used.

"A well-regulated Wiki, being necessary to the security of a free MMO..."

NGL, the fact that it's a separate login lowers the odds I will do it, but I still might.  I was figuring while I run Doc Buzzsaw's new arc, I'd provide some of the missing bits.

But we'll see where I go with this.

Be cool everyone!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Good on ya. There's so much that needs to be done to bring the wiki up to, say, 2019.

But oddly, every time I suggest this, I add to my collection of thumbs-downs. It's as if I'm suggesting we fix up that second amendment thingy or something. 😛

Anything in particular that you've seen that glaringly needs updating? 

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

If it was one thing, I'd have fixed it myself.

It it's any one thing in general, it's that a lot of the "list" type items are generic templates; someone kindly dumped all of them into entries, but many lack specific information. Many even have flags like PUT ACTUAL PvP VALUES HERE and such. It's like picking up a fine, fat dictionary to find the entries you need just say "Dr Johnson, please make something up here."

That, and quite a bit of outdated info no one's bothered to delete, archive or at least push into historical sections.

And while the wiki is meant to be the collective record of All That Is, I really hate finding long entries that are the only record of things like power changes and slash commands... meticulously timelined from Issue 1. It's very interesting that a power was added in Ish 7... but I'd rather see the current powers listed usefully, and then such trivia consigned to its own section.

Et, Cetera & Soforth, Attys at Law.

• Thumbs Up 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I'd also like to see every powers page link to the City of Data page at the bottom.

• Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Also worth noting it's apparently vague on some details about gaining the badges from the Banner event, as I have learned the hard way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 10/6/2021 at 11:32 AM, Techwright said:

Well I just found out yesterday that its PPM page is wrong so that was rather alarming since I use those like every day.

7 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Also worth noting it's apparently vague on some details about gaining the badges from the Banner event, as I have learned the hard way.

Not to keep physically abusing a deceased equine, here, but this is EXACTLY what I mean in all the posts I've made about this.

Yep, there's a wiki. Yep, it has pages. Yep, you can find almost any topic in it.

But so much of the info on those pages is incomplete (down to "sketchy outline") outdated (back to halfway through Live) and mis-organized (meticulously presenting the timeline of a power or command, so that the actual description/stats/how-to is almost unextractable)... that I wish there was a more concerted effort by Those Who Know taking a minute to be Those Who Update.

Wikis are not a one-person or one-authority thing. They are collective... and this 'collective' either needs to step up a little, on a small individual basis, or at least quit referring questions and novices to  "The Wiki!"  <fx heroic music here> as if it's a useful resource for any but the most experienced and savvy.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, it would be nice.  I'm far from savvy enough to go digging through the code to see how stuff works for sure, so I usually end up having to go by what the player consensus seems to be.

Go have fun!

• City Council
On 10/6/2021 at 9:09 AM, Generator said:

NGL, the fact that it's a separate login lowers the odds I will do it, but I still might.  I was figuring while I run Doc Buzzsaw's new arc, I'd provide some of the missing bits.

The reason a separate account is required, is that the wiki is *Unofficial* the HC Team rightly will not give me any access to their forum account database, and I wouldn't ask for it even if I thought they would.  HCWiki is not funded by Homecoming, not ran by Homecoming, and is a fully separate entity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Michiyo said:

The reason a separate account is required, is that the wiki is *Unofficial* the HC Team rightly will not give me any access to their forum account database, and I wouldn't ask for it even if I thought they would.  HCWiki is not funded by Homecoming, not ran by Homecoming, and is a fully separate entity.

Valid points all, thanks for clarifying.  I hadn't been aware of their separate nature until now.

2 minutes ago, lemming said:

I'm very grateful it exists though.

Seconded, all whiny complaints notwithstanding. 🙂

• Like 2

• 5 months later

Decided I would finally get in there and help fix some mistakes.  My issue is the part at the bottom of creating an account that asks me What Game is this For.   I've tried Homecoming: City of Heroes, City of Heroes as well Homecoming but none are accepted.  Suggestions?

And sorry about the necro but this seemed a likely place to get a reply.

1 hour ago, Sakai said:

City of Heroes

I thought it was as quoted above, but it has been a while since I set up my account. The HC Wiki club is another good place to go for HC wiki Q & A. It may seem a little quiet but I usually get quick responses when I post in there (and I likewise try to respond rapidly to posts).

• Thanks 1