Does anyone just like... play regular?

Icy Mike

The biggest blow I think is a little ego, because "back in my day" I was the MAN. I was regarded as a really good team leader and ran a full team all day every day, and this was when everybody was new so you actually had to lead by explaining and coaching. I think once I spend some more time in the game and feel more confident, I'll adapt. I'm trying to figure out this fire-farming craze now lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

No reason to figure out the craze. *shrug* Lots of vets, some people just think the game begins at T4'd everything.

Others of us find that kind of boring.

Me, I'm mostly around to BS and RP with people. My stuff gets to 50 eventually.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

58 minutes ago, Icy Mike said:

The biggest blow I think is a little ego, because "back in my day" I was the MAN. I was regarded as a really good team leader and ran a full team all day every day, and this was when everybody was new so you actually had to lead by explaining and coaching. I think once I spend some more time in the game and feel more confident, I'll adapt. I'm trying to figure out this fire-farming craze now lol.

You're STILL the man Mike...its just you're the OLD man now! (Lol just kidding!)

Welcome Home, Hero (and/or Villain)!

Play how you want to and ask questions, both here and in game. Most people like to help, especially if you let them know you are newly returned.

Edited by Nerio72
Get off my lawn Mike.
  • Like 1

Icy Mike, I will have to put myself down as linked with you and the rest of the "old school" players/members who've been signing on here, and all appreciations for the honesty in the viewpoint, for both yourself and everyone else who's submitted opinions.  Seventeen years ain't a hell of a long time, in relative terms, yet it seems to have given blossom to an entirely new way of thinking and approaches to games as "fun".  For myself, the whole IO thing is several steps too close to the d20 "It's all about the numbers" thing that resulted in me and my gaming group giving D&D 3.x the good old college try, then just shaking our heads and going back to AD&D 1st/2nd edition, or C&C.  Similarly, for CoX,  I'm perfectly content with those straightforward 42% SO enhances that can come into effect at level 47, and maintain that archetype specificity that's been mentioned.  The characters who reach demigod status after racking up IO sets X, Y and Z is something I'm perfectly content to leave to others.

And that, I would speculate, is part of what's contributed to the overall longevity of the game, despite its technical limitations in duplicating a number of comic book-style superhero power set types.  The fact that we're able to travel not only the X axis but the Y as well, to any individual's particular taste, gives CoX a particular "open book" style that defies categorization fitting any one comic book "universe".  I think this appeals to a certain rather open-minded group - age irrespective - who are perfectly prepared to establish their place in a universe where there's no one set "ideal" finishing type.

1 hour ago, Icy Mike said:

Wow it seems like a lot of you get exactly what I was saying, which is awesome because I wasn't sure myself. I did learn that "tt" thing the hard way yesterday lol... I took off running and they were halfway through the map by the time I got to the mission. I think it's just that most people are doing things they've done plenty of times before so they take it for granted. I've gotten to level 46 on one character, almost exclusively solo except for a few task forces and one raid.

I do love this idea of a secret society of "regular" players. I don't begrudge guys who want to blow through things and level level level... I mean I probably would to if I knew how. Thank you for all the advice, support and "welcome home" messages.

Welcome back, enjoy the journey.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

20 hours ago, Black Talon said:

Seventeen years ain't a hell of a long time, in relative terms, yet it seems to have given blossom to an entirely new way of thinking and approaches to games as "fun".  For myself, the whole IO thing is several steps too close to the d20 "It's all about the numbers" thing that resulted in me and my gaming group giving D&D 3.x the good old college try, then just shaking our heads and going back to AD&D 1st/2nd edition, or C&C.  Similarly, for CoX,  I'm perfectly content with those straightforward 42% SO enhances that can come into effect at level 47, and maintain that archetype specificity that's been mentioned.  The characters who reach demigod status after racking up IO sets X, Y and Z is something I'm perfectly content to leave to others.

This always seems so alien to me, because IOs were added in 2007, just three years into the game's life.  By the time I started playing in 2008, they'd existed for a year and I basically never used TO/DO/SO in all the time I've played.  I did the University tutorial on my first character and thought, well, yeah, this makes sense, why would I ever use something that expires? and that was it.  So the basic pre-50 game experience doesn't really feel like it's changed that much to me.

On the other hand, I can get very 'hey, you kids, get off my lawn!' about the Incarnate system, so there we are!

Edited by Grouchybeast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

17 hours ago, Snarky said:

I still enjoy "PUG speed TF"  to blow out the acronyms and weird terms.  PUG = Pick up Group.  PUG Speed TF really means stumbling through at a kill most even if not necessary to kill most.  To me this is fun.  Just chaos.

PUG TFs and missions to 50 all day, every day! I freakin love the chaos too. Life's too damn short to keep everything on the rails all the time.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I stopped getting 2x XP boosters. I found leveling my characters made me enjoy the characters more. The only things I grab from the P2W vendor is the Inner Inspiration, Steam Jump Pack, Athletic Run, and Reveal Me. Those make life before a travel power way easier, and the inspirations are nice. Reveal Me is good for looking to find badges. Needless to say I added in the Vidiot Map extension. The vet attacks I have used, but not always. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I am sincerely curious as to what server you joined, cause you're hitting me with some culture shock. Come to Everlasting. I know it's the "roleplay" server, but if you're looking to just group up and slap things I cannot suggest it enough. Most of what I see on there is just doing some radios,  "Kill as we go" TFs.  You can usually find at least 2 or 3 other people for whatever  you're doing at the time.

When I first started playing a few months ago, I had the same impression as a new player that you had. Everyone seemed to be moving far too fast, and the missions I did seemed to require no teamwork nor cooperation. Most of the game seemed about soloing team content, begging for power leveling in the LFG chat or playing 1 single mission over and over again for hugely imbalanced rewards.

I did start to enjoy the game a lot more when I became more familiar with the plethora of teleport options and ways to get around. And there is still content where cooperation and teamwork are valued, although you have to go out of your way to look for it. Ironically, those teams that moved far too fast for me to keep up at first ended up being one of them.

My experience with the community has been similarly mixed. The people in-game, actually playing the game, I have found to be mostly fun and approachable. The forums are much more insular, elitist and touchy, and home to at least a few hardcore vets who have had a very long time to get used to what the game is like and are deeply prejudiced against anyone they perceive as challenging the status quo. Case in point, I actually saw a post here that said something along the lines of (paraphrased) “why does everyone have this fetish for popularizing the game? I just want to have it to myself. I don’t want to have to share it with the class of 2021.” Classy.

This forum saw a 6 page debate over asking for tells versus broadcasting for invites to content. And let’s just say that one of the Homecoming developer’s own story arcs opens with a literal super-powered war that broke out over a forum disagreement, complete with suicide bombers and chemical weapons.

I don’t want to sound too negative, because for the bad there is, there’s a lot of good, too, and still a lot of unique things you can do in this game and no other. But I can definitely understand that sense of alienation you feel — even as someone who did not play during the game’s time of live service. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 5

Started a new alt the other day and teamed. He wondered why I was running the Mercy Arc and suggested we play his higher level content. I just commented that I'm not interested in the race to 50. I'm here to have fun. He can leave the team if he wants. He stayed.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Miss Magical said:

The forums are much more insular, elitist and touchy, and home to at least a few hardcore vets who have had a very long time to get used to what the game is like and are deeply prejudiced against anyone they perceive as challenging the status quo.

As one of those insular, elitist and touchy hardcore veterans who have had a very long time to get used to what the game is like, I would like to know exactly what "status quo" you feel like I am protecting. 

See: literally any of my forum contributions. 

Also, high horse, glass house, yadda yadda 🔜

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

2 hours ago, Miss Magical said:

(An honest opinion from a newer player *gasp*)

Tsk tsk, there you go having your own opinion . Don't you know you're not allowed to post anything that isn't group-think or contributing to the e-peen circle jerk? 

Seriously though...why can't folks just *hear* what new players are saying? It feels like you go out of your way to make them feel unwelcome at times.

If you wanted to play alone in your sandbox then why spread the word that CoH is back?

• Thumbs Down 2

39 minutes ago, Singularis said:

Tsk tsk, there you go having your own opinion . Don't you know you're not allowed to post anything that isn't group-think or contributing to the e-peen circle jerk? 

Seriously though...why can't folks just *hear* what new players are saying? It feels like you go out of your way to make them feel unwelcome at times.

If you wanted to play alone in your sandbox then why spread the word that CoH is back?

I listen. In this particular instance I took offense to a grand generalized calling out of forum users as out of touch dickbags. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

6 minutes ago, Aurora_Girl said:

I listen. In this particular instance I took offense to a grand generalized calling out of forum users as out of touch dickbags. 

That's understandable; nobody likes to feel attacked. I guess it's not what people say but how they say it.

I'm a whole lot more like Solomon Kane than Ghandi in temperament so I really had to learn how to reel in my tone.

(I still fail pretty bad at times) Just wanted to chill things down a bit and not ruin this mans welcome home post.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Shot:

3 hours ago, Miss Magical said:

The forums are much more insular, elitist and touchy

Chaser:

On 9/1/2021 at 3:28 AM, Miss Magical said:

Show me someone who produces elegant and capable builds, who regularly runs Carnival of Chaos, 801.x and other high-difficulty AE missions with success, or who holds good TF speedrun times - now those would impress me.

• Thumbs Up 4

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

Edited:  I don't wanna start a fight.  Like any community there are various and disparate opinions on this forum.  It should be the goal for everyone to welcome those opinions.   For the most part, I've found this forum community to be welcome and knowledgeable.  There are disagreements, and even outright fights, but most of us are working toward the same goal:  The perpuation and success of this game we all love.

Edited by Ignatz the Insane
  • Like 3

People brought up valid points in a previous thread. Miss Magical had no problem giving various post in said thread a thumbs down without giving a genuine response to what was being said. As someone who has played CoH for 9ish years, the forum vets I know from live who are still around I have never really had any issue with. I would honestly seek them out first if I had a genuine question in regards to something. I see flare ups happening at times, and let's be honest, flare ups happen on the internet. My general feeling is, "Oh whatever," and I just carry on.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I've seen several examples of what people are calling "crawls" where people play story arc content together for a pre-scheduled time without 2xp on characters.  I think sometimes they implement some other rules like not sharing influence or enhancements from your high level alts.

16 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

My general advice to everyone is to play the way you want to play and find people that like that same style.  If you can't find those teams, make them!

That's good advice there.  I'm 100% certain that you'll find like-minded people to team with.  I spend most of my game time soloing my level 50 min-maxed toons... but when I see a low-mid level story arc team forming, and I have the time, I grab an alt and jump on it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

15 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

For someone downvoting any post that even hints at a soloist-positive viewpoint, please forgive me for laughing at your opinion regarding forum elitists.

There's a reason that one landed on my ignore list as early on as they did... I recommend it. 'Makes the forum just a touch more pleasant.

• Thumbs Up 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice