Does anyone just like... play regular?

Icy Mike

Here's what is probably yet another "I played 15 years ago and I don't understand what's going on" thread.

The pace everyone is operating at is disheartening to me. I can't get around as fast as everyone... I don't know any of the acronyms... also a ton of this content and task forces are new to me. I feel like Captain America waking up.

Does anyone else just play the game at a sub optimal pace? I'm laughing at the LFG chats with a long list of character build requirements to join a team. "Back in my day" we had to pull and herd to get through stuff... are there still strategies and teamwork required anywhere? Do I just need to give it time? Am I the only person that still actually runs around doing regular missions?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

There are still quite a few of us who not only play regular missions without double XP (or even patronising P2W lady), and who even turn off XP every now and then for the sake of content. I have a buttload of alts, and each alt takes his/her own path of contacts, tips, newspaper missions to craft his/her own story. I've also come across a few like-minded individuals who tend to stay away from (most) IOs so as not to be a steam-rolling avatar of death, but instead to accentuate the importance of the Archetype dynamics within a team. So yes, we're still here. Just go about the game at your own pace and enjoy. 

• Like 4

There are different levels of "optimal" and I am sure most people, even those on the forum, are playing sub-optimally (depending on what one qualifies that as) compared to someone. Some people IO their characters out from low level whereas I have only ever had characters making use of IOs before level 50 on my last two characters--a Tanker who started in the 40-50 range and a Scrapper who was about 35 when I purchased a package of IOs for him.

Team mission running at anything short of Peregrine Island levels is however less common, most people seeming to prefer to run task forces. But I still see people recruiting for such (which I join from time to time). And a lot of people do actually enjoy soloing, so you're not going to see any sign of them when they are doing so. For example. I run the Twisted Reflection/Through the Looking Glass arc on all my characters, generally solo only asking for help on the final mission if necessary. I did the arc on a new blaster two days ago and she was able to handle the final arch-villain solo by making use of superspeed to stay away from him...so I didn't call for help on her.

12 minutes ago, Icy Mike said:

Here's what is probably yet another "I played 15 years ago and I don't understand what's going on" thread.

The pace everyone is operating at is disheartening to me. I can't get around as fast as everyone... I don't know any of the acronyms... also a ton of this content and task forces are new to me. I feel like Captain America waking up.

Does anyone else just play the game at a sub optimal pace? I'm laughing at the LFG chats with a long list of character build requirements to join a team. "Back in my day" we had to pull and herd to get through stuff... are there still strategies and teamwork required anywhere? Do I just need to give it time? Am I the only person that still actually runs around doing regular missions?

Yes x3 and no.

Give it time, with most things it takes time to learn anything new.

With that being said, start your own SG with that theme if you're taking your time to lvl.

You would not believe how many threads, conversations, etc for people to "play the old way" i have seen. Its an untapped resource as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

What you want to look for in LFG is a mission team or contact mission team.  Or even a radio team that ISN'T in Peregrine Island.  These tend to be less over-powered steamrollers of exploding suns and more just normal teams moving through a map.  You still aren't going to see a lot of pulling or herding.  You might see someone jump ahead to gather up a loose spawn into a tighter formation but that's about it.

Mid-level teams like this also often run at higher difficulty settings than a speed TF does because the point is earning XP, not getting to the end quickly for a merit reward.

Radio teams will also usually be easier to follow because they will all be in the same zone so you aren't dealing with trying to follow a team full of people that already have every temp teleport power at their disposal.  But again, even contact mission teams are a little more relaxed because there's not as much pressure to get through things quickly as on a speed TF.

Acronyms... nothing to do here but learn em.  People aren't changing.  Ask in /help channel what they mean.  Nine people will reply.  /help is pretty good about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DougGraves said:

Is there a chat channel for regular players who want to team sometimes?

We could have our own secret world within the world of other players.

You could just use LFG and state how you are playing.

"Running door missions. Seeking players interested in the old feel pre-IOs. LF5M, all levels welcome."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

I was confused as hell when I came back. You’re going to have to ask what those acronyms mean some day, my best advice is ask sooner rather than later. 

As for keeping up, learn to (1) stop in your tracks if someone types “tt” and (2) consider packing super speed on every character until you feel comfortable doing otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

My brother only logs on to make sure he's at capped badges.

After T4ing several alts, I generally only log on Wed night for SG ITF runs.

Everyone posting here and in game are coming at this revival in different ways and getting different things from it. I'm happy as all #&$^ that BZB exists again but I don't actually grok why I'm not playing him more. I honestly spend more time on the forums than I do in game and while that made sense back in the old days when I wasn't temporarily retired, it makes very little sense to me now.

To the OP, make this game what you want it to be. I think @Erratic1hit it on the head. Be the game you want to play.

Edit: Ok, that's not a bad sig line.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Find your niche. 

If you like to be powerful, you can do that. 
If you like the idea of not being as powerful, you can do that too. 

If you hate teaming, don't team. If you hate soloing, play an Ice/Empathy controller. (Kidding, mostly.)

If you hate IOs, don't use them. If you hate the incarnate stuff, don't do it. 

Folks generally only get their feathers twisted when others try to push their "favored" playstyle-related ideals on others. Kind of like real life, in that way. 

• Thumbs Up 3

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

I’m always down for old school stuff, but getting it organized enough for regular play is tough. The .38 Specials are dedicated to this, but, after trying to run a couple of events with no luck, I gave up. But I’d be down to have a dedicated stable of OGs who like running Old School. Maybe a CoH version of the OSR?:-)

• Thumbs Up 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

As far as pace goes, this is definately a challenge for new players joining Task Forces.  It's a whirlwind of teleporting and Ouroboros gating to get to the mission doors as quickly as possible, and can leave newer players behind.  The good thing is, if you explain you're new, folks are usually patient and generous.   Stay away from 'speed' Task Forces for awhile and let folks know you're new when joining.  

As for the LFG asking for build requirements, you probably saw someone advertising for Incarnate Trials or a Master Task Force.  I can't remember a regular Task Force team ever asking for build requirements(although I'm sure it happens on occasion). 

@Icy Mike Yes. There are plenty of people who just run missions with low level characters with just SOs. I'm not sure when exactly you last played, so some of what I'm about to say may not make sense to you. Or maybe you've been playing on Homecoming for awhile and you know all of this already.

Do you remember the Vet Reward Powers? (link to the Homecoming Wiki article) Well, you can get them now by going to a vendor in Atlas Park, or Mercy, named "P2W Vendor" (link to wiki page). The multiple lists may be a bit confusing at first, but take a bit of time to carefully read the descriptions and you'll get the idea.

Travel Powers can now be picked up at level 4. The Fitness pool is now inherent to all characters. There's a couple of new power pools too.

A lot of people are able to get around a lot faster because they have the "Long Range Teleport" accolade (link to wiki page). It's a thing that you can pick up for free. While in Atlas park (or any zone really - this is just the first zone for most of us), get all of the exploration badges. There's 8 of them and you likely know where most of them are. After that, pick up a single explore badge in each zone and you'll have the ability to teleport to it. Also, as part of this there's actually a related macro (green button I think) that you should have in your powers tray instead of all of the various teleport abilities. It will allow you to keep track of and use any of the teleport abilities you might have. And you can pick a lot of them up at the P2W vendor.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Welcome back home. When you first come back it can feel a bit like drinking from a fire hose. In addition to all the stuff you forgot when the game was live, homecoming has made a lot of changes to the game. Best thing to do is check the guides and patch notes so you can start to get back up to speed. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but you’ll get your rhythm in no time. Till then enjoy being a noob again 😁

• Like 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

I play at a sub-optimal pace for sure.  Sometimes I do a lot of missions.  Lately I've been getting my 2x XP boost and doing TFs the whole way.  I have a mild case of alt-itis.  I'll get a good idea for a character and want to try it out.  But, my OCD part cannot start another char until the one I am working on is "finished".  That "finished" thing depends on the character.  So then I get impatient and try and get into farms, etc.

This is how I do it baby.

Plus this is still the best MMO community ever.

• Like 2

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

46 minutes ago, SuperPlyx said:

What server are you playing on?  I never see this ...I see the " need Alpha Slot unlocked" for a couple of things but that's it.

Well, Tinpex requires Alpha or you're slapped with a massive debuff.  Shouldn't be needed for anything else other than maybe the later iTrials.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Welcome home, Icy Mike.

Only been back for little over 4 months myself and I understand ya completely! 

I've still never run any of the Incarnate stuff, which I'm guessing what is new to you. (Maybe I never will at this rate, lol)

If you'd like some like-minded company for teaming up, please feel free to send me a global friend request.

I'm on Excelsior for the most part but would be happy to make a character anywhere.

Seriously, we do need an SG for all us old-schoolers! 

Happy hunting :classic_smile:

I still enjoy "PUG speed TF"  to blow out the acronyms and weird terms.  PUG = Pick up Group.  PUG Speed TF really means stumbling through at a kill most even if not necessary to kill most.  To me this is fun.  Just chaos.

• Like 1

Wow it seems like a lot of you get exactly what I was saying, which is awesome because I wasn't sure myself. I did learn that "tt" thing the hard way yesterday lol... I took off running and they were halfway through the map by the time I got to the mission. I think it's just that most people are doing things they've done plenty of times before so they take it for granted. I've gotten to level 46 on one character, almost exclusively solo except for a few task forces and one raid.

I do love this idea of a secret society of "regular" players. I don't begrudge guys who want to blow through things and level level level... I mean I probably would to if I knew how. Thank you for all the advice, support and "welcome home" messages.

• Like 4