Who plays CoX in the most unusual way?

DougGraves

I have no "one way" of playing this game. 

Occasionally, I'll PL to 50, outfit the character with the best IOs I can think of, maybe do a market crash and run through enough iTrials to get it to t-4, then likely park it and never play it again. 

Sometimes, I'll make a challenge character. The challenge can be to "if defeated, get deleted", or it may be "make a billion by level 50". My latest challenge has been a combo of "If defeated, get deleted & only slot what drops. This is quite challenging, and I find myself really liking it, because I get super excited when something like a level 16 Kismet drops. Most of my characters either get seed money or are allowed to buy them if they can afford it (the 6% accuracy/ToHit) so, when these characters get a good drop, it's a great dopamine rush, even better than a Micro Hami-O or a purple recipe drop. Every time I make these, I have to remind myself the game can certainly be played without ATOs - but man, I sure do notice that I don't have 'em!  

I've succeeded on the "if defeated, get deleted" challenge once, on an energy/fire blaster. The billion by 50 challenge, I tend to get the billion by level 7 or so. Too damned easy once you know how. The "Drop Challenge" - I've yet to succeed. I get to level 21 and things get quite difficult. The best I've done is reach level 23, I think. Or was it 26? I can't remember. It's still fun, but stopping once I get defeated...that kind of hurts. 

Other times, I'll do a solo sewer run and start in Atlas Sewer and come out in Kings Row, or Boomtown. I never watch the map, so no telling where I'll come out. Then I'll level up, and head to Hollows, then after Hollows, I'll do kings row until level 15. Then to Faultline, then Striga, then Croatoa, then Bricks, Then RWZ, Then PI. 
I'll also be aiming for the 4 passive accolades as soon as I can get them. 

Sometimes I'll do a dfb or two - but they level so fast that I just lose interest in the character. I like to solo the early levels for some reason. Teams just make things too easy. Unless the team sucks, and that makes me want to /ragequit so I try not to team until the 20's or so. 

9 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Who plays CoX in the most unusual way?

Ukase.  I nominate Ukase.

He definitely is in the running.  Two things i have seen him do 1) endless and systematic marketing at an OCD level.  If i ever won the lottery i would hire this guy for investment portfolio manager.  Not kidding. 2) His attempts to level from 1-50 using only what drops and no deaths.   Like watching someone trying to climb a mountain using only bunny hops.  Brutal

Edited by Snarky

20 hours ago, DougGraves said:

That's a perfectly cromulent backstory

His back story is just out there wide in the open and swingin the breeze for everyone to see.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

TLDR; but I play the game while wearing nothing but a sock on my right foot.  I guess some would consider that unusual.

If I was only wearing one sock, I'd be in a different location, but that's just me. 

• Like 1

I'm an RPer playing a character semi-inspired by Batman. Sabrehawk, my namesake. To simulate his 'traveled around the world mastering martial arts' I've been creating characters of each 'martial arts-ish' primary, leveling them to fifty, IOing them out with as good a build as I can find, then T4ing them. Each character where this process is completed represents a different style of fighting Sabrehawk has mastered. I've done them all except for Kinetic Melee thus far. 

• Like 1

I took a controller 1-45 thru AE content. No farming but repeat did happen. Some good stories out there and some good attempts. I died often and accumulated way more tickets than I could ever use back on live. 

• Like 2

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

7 hours ago, Sabrehawk said:

I'm an RPer playing a character semi-inspired by Batman. Sabrehawk, my namesake. To simulate his 'traveled around the world mastering martial arts' I've been creating characters of each 'martial arts-ish' primary, leveling them to fifty, IOing them out with as good a build as I can find, then T4ing them. Each character where this process is completed represents a different style of fighting Sabrehawk has mastered. I've done them all except for Kinetic Melee thus far. 

In my opinion Kin Melee is far closer to an Energy Blast set than a MA set.  It does have full on Tai Chi animations.  I ran a Tank with Inv/Kin as a "Tank Mage"  The awkward big animations simulated spellcasting to me.  Quite a few of the attacks are ranged/AoE compared to other Melee sets.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:25 AM, fitzsimmons said:

TLDR; but I play the game while wearing nothing but a sock on my right foot.  I guess some would consider that unusual.

You're over-dressed. 
If you were genuinely serious, you'd have the "dorm fridge" plugged in within arm's reach, and the microwave on top of it. Boxes of various pop-tarts and other convenient finger foods on top of that. Said fridge stocked with beverages of choice. 

Oh, and you'd be sitting on a toilet with a cushioned seat. And a pillow on top of the toilet tank for when the dopamine rush fades away and you crash from insufficient caffeine, sugar & sleep. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Ukase said:

You're over-dressed. 
If you were genuinely serious, you'd have the "dorm fridge" plugged in within arm's reach, and the microwave on top of it. Boxes of various pop-tarts and other convenient finger foods on top of that. Said fridge stocked with beverages of choice. 

Oh, and you'd be sitting on a toilet with a cushioned seat. And a pillow on top of the toilet tank for when the dopamine rush fades away and you crash from insufficient caffeine, sugar & sleep. 

Ukase knows these things.  This is why Ukase plays CoX in the most unusual ways.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So ... I guess I'm the only one playing from a standing desk then?

Technically it's not even a desk.  Flat-packed shelving that happens to be the perfect height. 😄

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

11 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Technically it's not even a desk.  Flat-packed shelving that happens to be the perfect height. 😄

i play from the coffin.  the closed lower half makes a perfect gaming desk.  glad I got the flat one

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

I can't speak for that, but I do sit balanced (most of the time) on a stability ball while I play. It's a strange thing, working the core while playing. It's not that hard, though, as my feet do touch the ground - but no back support, and if anything, I have to focus on not slouching. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

i play from the coffin.  the closed lower half makes a perfect gaming desk.  glad I got the flat one

I saw this post in my notification emails, where the name of who posted it is sort of hard to find.

I could tell it was you without seeing the name.

• Haha 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, Snarky said:

In my opinion Kin Melee is far closer to an Energy Blast set than a MA set.  It does have full on Tai Chi animations.  I ran a Tank with Inv/Kin as a "Tank Mage"  The awkward big animations simulated spellcasting to me.  Quite a few of the attacks are ranged/AoE compared to other Melee sets.

Air Bending... From the start it's reminded me the most of Avatar-style Air Bending. XD

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 11/7/2021 at 7:04 AM, Snarky said:

I was thinking of RPing it as some kind of kung fu type thing. 'The One Hundred Hands of Death' or whatnot. I figured that would fit the Tai Chi animations but I might just not take (or use) the ranged attacks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have ideas.  

So many ideas.

Then I try to make concepts with them.

Then I roll, and I play. 

Then I break.

My break point is generally around level 26-28 when I need to branch into power pools and take the character build seriously.  I generally get discouraged and just start something new. 

To this day, I have 3-4 characters that (with the help of some really nice people here) have risen passed that hurdle but still, as of today, even if I have played hundreds and hundreds of hours since Homecoming started...

... I have yet to reach level 50.

Well, I had a farmer which was PLed to 50 but that doesn't count and she's been gathering dust forever.

Oh we're talking about unusual ways of playing?  Ok.  Ok.

I'm left-handed.  There.

11 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

Well, on the blue side, I return to Atlas Park to train whenever I level.

Really? I haven't used a trainer outside of my SG base in....months. Can't stand the crowds around Ms. Liberty, and hate traveling to where an alternate trainer would be. I'm headed to my base to hit the next mission, usually. Just makes sense to me.