Who plays CoX in the most unusual way?

DougGraves

It is standard to think of people farming their way through  CoX, or DFB and powerleveling to 50.  But yesterday I ran into a player who was playing every variation of controllers, he was working his way through  every powerset combination in the game.

I create characters for levels 13, 19, 23, 29, and 34 and stop their XP at those levels.  I only play on low level teams and I choose a character at the right level.  And I play on the lowest level team doing missions that I can find.  If I can choose between a Hollows team and a Talos team I choose the Hollows team.

• Thumbs Up 2

I pl some builds to 50+, slot them, play a few lvls and strip and delete them.

Some I lvl the "old fashioned " way.

So I lvl or pl to a point and then play them from there.

Just depends on my mood, sometimes I'm just a finicky mf.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I'm currently soloing a swipe/inv scrapper through street sweeping and radio missions from 1 to 50. For a while I played a shield brute that used nothing but boxing, kick and crosspunch. SG buddy runs a nothing but temp powers build. There's all manner of insane things we can do around here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I spent alot of time looking for a way to galaxy city so i could take a screenshot with GM Bot.  I still havent found a way there but maybe someday.

I have a knockback character im working on.  Id say its so i can troll my friends but they will probably like it.  I should be able to knockdown war walkers when its done.  Only level 34 currently though.

I definitely never hand out ambrosia.  I had nothing to do with the ambrosia that appeared in anyones inventory during hamidon, frostfire, or any other raid/mission.  I dont care what the system chat says.  The game is lying.

• Haha 3

This reminds me, I was thinking of making an exploration character to try to explore every nook and cranny in every zone. Street sweeping and zone badges being the only xp gain. Only use stuff in the zones to help, vendors, trainers, stores, etc.

I might just do it to do a solo game, now to think of an AT and powersets. No travel powers, just sprint or athletic run (jetpack for vertical exploration), don't want to miss anything. Take pictures 📷 write a journal of experiences.

I'd have to do it it in a grid fashion, no reveal power that way I know if I went everywhere. 

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

46 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

This reminds me, I was thinking of making an exploration character to try to explore every nook and cranny in every zone. Street sweeping and zone badges being the only xp gain. Only use stuff in the zones to help, vendors, trainers, stores, etc.

I might just do it to do a solo game, now to think of an AT and powersets. No travel powers, just sprint or athletic run (jetpack for vertical exploration), don't want to miss anything. Take pictures 📷 write a journal of experiences.

I'd have to do it it in a grid fashion, no reveal power that way I know if I went everywhere. 

I haven't remade any of my scrappers, from Live, but I'm now going to use your model with an old favorite...DB/WP (SlicerDicer).  See everyone else, when he's 50.

• Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

55 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

Most of my characters make it to the low 40s and I get bored with them and start a new one.  The post lv 40 isnt as fun to me.

Do you miss the content?  I've never liked the high level game but am sad that I don't get to see the shadow shard and Dark Astoria because it the game is just too boring at those levels.

I leveled up one of my characters, a Claws/Electric brute, using mostly AE missions up to level 50. The concept was that she was a young girl who was turned into a cyborg after nearly dying during the Rikti War by her father who was funded by Crey. The AE missions was set up like training courses to prepare her for use by Crey, but she was freed by a hero who convinced her to be a hero instead. I did grab the badges around the different zones, but made sure not to defeat any enemies while grabbing the badges. Once she leveled to 50 and unlocked her Alpha slot, I began replaying the earlier content with her.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Do you miss the content?  I've never liked the high level game but am sad that I don't get to see the shadow shard and Dark Astoria because it the game is just too boring at those levels.

I don’t because I do play high end content sometimes, but it almost always with my main. 

Level 40-50 content is more interesting to see when it is done in smaller teams or more so solo. Getting on a PuG to plow through radios at +4/x8 is absolutely not interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I make characters because I get the itch to make one. Some character conception that I have or some power combo that I've decided I want to try out.

Before I make a character, I figure out a character conception. 

Once I have a character conception, I log into design them.

I create the character's main costume while in the character creator.

I customize all the characters powers while in the character creator.

I write the character's bio while still in the creator.

I zone into the world and load up all my macros.  (I need all my macros loaded up because I play with a Logitech F-310 gamepad)

I pull lot down Inf from email (I store Inf from my other alts)

I go to the P2W and get the prestige enhances, the free powers (character dependant), pay for a flight power (character dependant), usually get some temp powers (character dependant), fill up on x2 XP, and get all the teleport powers (base, base portal, assemble team, mission teleport, and the team mission teleport).

I go to the Icon in Atlas (only have 4 villians... I think it's 4) and set-up the other costumes that I already have planned out. Usually an IB (innocent bystander) and maybe a couple of other variations or "form" changes (変身!)  - Might have to go to the Pocket D and visit the costume person there if I want to have size or gender changes in the mix.

Go around Atlas collecting the explore badges for the Atlas Tour Guide to unlock the Fast Travel power.

Log out and invite the character to to a supergroup

Log back in and go to talos and get the Minotaur exploration badge

Go to Pocket D and get an exploration badge there

Go to Peregrine and get an exploration badge there.

1) Join or start a DFB, 2) Hunt the Lake and spread out from there.

If still below level 8,  go to Kings Row or the Hollows

If above level 8,  1) Join or start a Posi 1 or 2) go to Kings Row or the Hollows

Once done with that I generally 1) Join or start a Posi 2 or 2) get some contact or radio missions in Steel 

At level 20, 1) join or start a Yin taskforce or 2) go to Striga

After that it is pretty much potluck. 1) Join a PUG or make a PUG , 2) soloing, 3) Summer Blockbuster, 4) help fill a DFB (with whatever is my lowest level or a bubbler), 5) help fill task forces that need more that I am a high enough level for (usually switch alts to get someone not far above the base level for the content). 6) do some marketing until one of the previously listed things happen.

I do run teams with a couple friends on regular basis for about 6 hours a week, but outside of that it's all PUGs. Sometimes we will pick a theme and create character that match that theme and level up to 50 doing that.

I don't enjoy the end-game, but I will run it if pushed into it by friends.

I generally only use x2 XP when gaming with my friends in order to keep up with their leveling. Sometimes I use it to 20 and don't get any more until it runs out. Other times, I don't re-up the x2 XP after the character's first trip to the P2W vendor.

I do join Peregrine Island times sometimes, but I don't get more than 5 levels. I'm not trying to be PL'd. I'm just joining because it is a team at the time.

I don't farm - missions or AE.

I like to take part in the Motel 666 teams, but I keep that to the 5 level limit. I have two many spooky character that I don't get to play all that often and they should all have their time in the moonlight when the time is there.

I like running around doing the Winter World content.

I don't like the Valentine's day content that much.

I like to run safeguards and mayhem missions.

I try not to respec. I really try not to respec. I have to really make some really bad mistake in order to respec. I figure all the flaws that might occur are in-character/fated.

Like to to use the enhancement option to use inf to automatically level up all my SOs just before reaching the boss at the end of a task force.

I only slot attuned IO's or level 45/50 non-set IOs.

I try to listen/read what the team leader has to say and follow the team lead.

I try to stay with the group.

If I see someone's health bar dropping, I try to help them anyway that I can with the powers my character has.

I'm on all the servers, but, as I indicated earlier, I only have a couple of villain. I have no Praetorians at all. I'm somewhere over 109 characters.

I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of my characters (their level, archetype, primary powerset, secondary powerset, what supergroup they are in, and what server they are on). Tally up the number of characters, levels, character per archetype. Calculate average level per server and overall.

I like to build bases, so I have at least one base per server.

I like to make themed superhero groups on my alt servers and make a base to match the supergroup theme.

I'm sure I do some other stuff, but I'm tired and have to get some sleep. I most play at night. I love the night.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

I go to the Icon in Atlas (only have 4 villians... I think it's 4) and set-up the other costumes that I already have planned out. Usually an IB (innocent bystander) and maybe a couple of other variations or "form" changes (変身!)  - Might have to go to the Pocket D and visit the costume person there if I want to have size or gender changes in the mix.at night. I love the night.

In Icon in Atlas the tailor at the back does size and gender changes

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

I haven't remade any of my scrappers, from Live, but I'm now going to use your model with an old favorite...DB/WP (SlicerDicer).  See everyone else, when he's 50.

What is it about playing a WP scrapper streets sweeping that makes it so interesting?!

I absolutely cannot think of any secondary that I want to do it on more.

Put on my noise reducing headphones, log into my 50 em/ea stalker, queue up the MSR map in LFG locked to solo, and proceed to have a street-sweeping-scrapper-lock zen session in my personal level 54 zone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I don't like the Valentine's day content that much.

On the first CoH-CoV crossover, before Going Rogue, there was a mission where you had to have members of both sides. I was playing a Peacebringer at the time, and a villain sent me a tell asking How did you do that? after I shifted into Dwarf form. 

Anyway... I really enjoyed getting all the exploration badges. The game has some really good scenery and exploring is a game in and of itself. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

This isn't so much how i play differently than anyone else but the only time I really feel like I any of my characters has a truly different play style than any of my other characters is when i am playing my sonic blasting defenders. Sonic blasting is so unique because the timing and target selection of your attacks really matters. Throwing a blaze-blazing bolt in someones face is easy. Getting your shriek-scream off on that target right before they get hit with your ally's blaze-blazing bolt is harder, it lets you play with anticipation and foresight, and it lets you take a step back from your direct player-critter interaction. Sonic blasting would be more accurately described as player-critter-ally-critter interaction and when that is done well it is amazing to see and feels great. Sonic blasting has a skill cap that I don't find with other sets.

Currently on fire.

4 hours ago, DougGraves said:

In Icon in Atlas the tailor at the back does size and gender changes

Oh, really?

Never noticed.

Thanks.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

9 hours ago, Krimson said:

With one exception, I play every toon until level 50, slot them, and get their Incarnates to Tier 3 before moving on. I have exactly one toon below level 50, which is a level 37 Psy/Fire Sentinel I made for solo play. So if you don't like Sentinels, not to worry, you will never see it. 

Same.  I've done combinations of solo/team/double xp/normal xp but ultimately my altitis was cured long ago so I'm content to play one toon till done then move on to the next.  So far I have 31 50s and 1 32ish.  I rarely bother with backstory, name, power sets, costume, or even theme beyond what might be needed for an upcoming event.  It is all just button mashing to me.  I log in because my friends still do.  Otherwise... done.