What comic book character can you NOT create?

Oklahoman

Cyclops comes to mind as a character you'd think we should be able to make, but can't. Like, we have TONS of beam based powersets, there's even a few powers that shoot lasers from your eyes! But... there's no "eye cast" alt animations for the beams we get?

I know i'd ADORE ditching the laser gun from beam rifles, and replace it with eye casts. We have enough animations that sort of originate from the head/face where you'd think this would definitely be something we could do? And it's weird because like, a lot of the powers that COME as eye beams have alt animations to make them NOT eye beams!

You could totally make him aesthetically though. But power wise? No "eye blast" powersets to be found.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Resident certified baby

Squirrel Girl. Speedball. Magneto. Nightcrawler. You can kind of do him, but you can't really recreate his repeated teleporting as part of combat. Same as Flash.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

3 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Nightcrawler. You can kind of do him, but you can't really recreate his repeated teleporting as part of combat. Same as Flash.

Have you met our lord and savior, Combat Teleport?

Resident certified baby

Nobody has mentioned Mr. Fantastic or Plastic Man, who use stretching powers that we don't have.

I feel like we don't have the full spirit of Batman either, since we can't really combine Martial Arts or Street Justice with Devices or Traps.

We can't make the one-off Doom Patrol villain Codpiece, for a bevy of obvious reasons.

Edited by ZorkNemesis
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

7 hours ago, Redletter said:

Have you met our lord and savior, Combat Teleport?

Not quite there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Nobody's mentioned the Dogwelder? >.>

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Simply put, all of them.

For one, that requires time spent in the costume creator (yawn) determining which choices to make. 

And, well, it's against the rules to recreate copyrighted characters. And, while I get that some like to present it as an homage, it's a slippery slope. Where the line is drawn is a bit subjective, so why not make the character that Marvel & DC neglected to make? Why waste my time? 

• Thumbs Down 2

I don't read comics too often, so my references are all from the early 90s and 2000s.

IMO it would be hard to replicate:

• Multiple Man/Jamie Madrox. Illusion Control's ability to make copies of yourself is a good start. I don't really feel like there's a Controller secondary that's a good fit though. If Illusion existed for Dominators, Illusion/Martial would kiiinda cover it. Still see MM as basically a Tank or Scrapper though.

• Rogue. There are plenty of "absorb power from enemy" type powers but I still feel like there's room here for a specific "power thief" set.

• Cannonball. Imagine what his Blast or Manipulation set would look like. Some kind of flying version of Lighting Rod? Or is he actually some kind of Sentinel with Momentum Armor or something similar?

• Quicksilver or really any speedster. It's kinda covered by existing sets, and of course anyone can take Super Speed. I woudn't say Super Reflexes feels like a speedster to me.

• Magneto/Polaris. We have Gravity Control, which may work as a stand in. Not sure I'm completely convinced Gravity Control is Magnetic Control, and there's not really an Assault set to pair them with that feels right. Unless Magneto is actually a very powerful Gravity/Force Fielder? Room for ideas for sure...
Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

He's not really from comics, but Letterman from the Electric Company, able to transform the environment by changing the spelling of it. Stopping a thug by changing their gun to gum, for example. Of course, he'd be much nastier as a villain, turning a hero to zero....

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:
  • Magneto/Polaris. We have Gravity Control, which may work as a stand in. Not sure I'm completely convinced Gravity Control is Magnetic Control, and there's not really an Assault set to pair them with that feels right. Unless Magneto is actually a very powerful Gravity/Force Fielder? Room for ideas for sure...

I always saw Gravity Control as the closest stand in for a magnetism control set. I feel like based on his Marvel Vs Capcom appearances maybe an electric assault set would do best? Still, excellent point on how nothing really fits him right. I'd say best you could do is Grav/Elec/Mace Dominator (Mace for Personal Force Field).

There's no good analog for probability manipulation so I'd say Scarlet Witch and Longshot can't be done totally right. Longshot is probably easier due to his reliance on weapons.

Warlock. I know a lot of people have mentioned shapeshifters but I feel like he's a little different from the usual shapeshifter due to his technological nature.

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

Emma Frost. I guess you could get somewhat close with a Sentinel on Homecoming but as a melee/ranged/tank/dominator hybrid she is difficult to analog.

I have a Scarlet Witch homage character who is a Dark/Time corrupter which I think works fairly well using +def and -tohit as a stand-in for probability manipulation.

21 hours ago, TheZag said:

Its been all about powersets but there are alot of comic characters that you could do a close match to their costume even though power selection may not match up very well.

Just to be contrary...  😛

image.png.9a76300b020561258b49731d728caa1d.png

For my pick I'll say Marvel's Random.  He may look like a blaster here, but he literally adapted to most any situation:

image.png.99c2d32b9738a33a11996f8aff4af9af.png

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 3:59 PM, Oklahoman said:

What comic book character (hero, villain, or in between) do you feel like you cannot closely approximate in the game right now?

No Animated-hair attack powers

medusa-header.jpg (1200×600)

No long male character hairstyles

200px-Docsamson1st.jpg

813Z6yF5r4L.jpg

fp2-splash.jpg

jack-kirby-marvel-avengers.jpg

LoboComics.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNWhTCpQNuCLd01v1SOKR

No stretching powers

af1722f0d6216525e6035019ae17593f.jpg

a750955f0a42b1b89a7fa52e101ede0a-800.jpg

MV5BZWQ1ZjdkNWYtZTgwNS00MzNiLWExYWEtMWE3

51LKD-eMlpL.jpg

metal-men-dan-jurgens.jpg

A13ZKwQRJbL.jpg

no shrinking powers

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSszVecihOc4-0FCo6fAR

819tOk0RMWL._SL1367_.jpg

Feature_Comics_77.jpg

no growing powers

TalesToAstonish56.jpg

clean.jpg

54a9586a9f258eb604bd34a5e3e1ae10b8187a15

Limited Weird body types

Modok, etc. have already been listed on the forums elsewhere.

detail.jpg

where-monsters-dwell-2-10.jpg

Sasquatch-Marvel-Comics-Langkowski-Alpha

Marvel-Comics-Wendigo-Cover-Art.jpg

Jack Kirby Giants

0000000000et2.jpg

ffab91f3d96145c8bd1e5dc1968ad0f2.jpg

122327_f9c810277836cd7b0e39319f4c4d69ada

1641_large_image.jpg

.... and a whole lot more examples of in Where Monsters Dwell

Reality warping powers

51i6ih4ZxcL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

zJKuTzigewyibKEF6u6c0_wsEIPxN7XbOr0TFjAZ

swamp_thing_2.jpg

71Gkq5q7QuL.jpg

The-Sandman-008.jpg?width=465&quality=45

Where's my motorcycle?

DC-Comics-Vigilante.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=

champion-ghost-rider-720x720.jpg

FPiEH7Uxp11-MW-yZx6kNVXachv1XyWKIV963Iy2

58185719.jpg

I could take days tracking examples down.

Jack Kirby alone had tons of characters that don't fit in the CoH mold in regard to costuming and/or powers.

There are just a lot of characters in general ... even outside of Kirby's work

• Like 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.