CoH Back?

1 hour ago, Captain Blaze said:

So like many I used to play CoH but then the idiots in charge shut it down, now I hear of rogue servers where you can still play CoH, is that true? How or where would I start?

Yes it is *and has been* back on a number of independent and volunteer ran servers. The forum for one of those servers, (that you are on right now) is the Homecoming server, who opened its doors back in April of 2019. Homecoming has made a number of updates from the last publicly available OuroDev fork of Issue 24 and its currently in its Issue 27, Page 3 iteration. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ohai new friend you bring teh donuts?

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Probably totally gratuitous advice and pointers, but just to note - the population on Homecoming is, quite obviously, a fraction of what CoX was during its heyday in '04-'06.  Consequently, team-ups are a somewhat more difficult arrangement than previously, though, with time and effort, you can likely put something together.  Another point is that mission that are labelled "necessary for multi-players to complete" are now such in name only - i.e., in the mission descriptions, which remain unchanged; recognizing the difficulty of regular, not to mention ad hoc, team-ups, the HC Devs have reconfigured all of these to be complete-capable by a single player.

Finally, the HC Devs hold, on Discord at the end of each month, a volunteer drive to raise the funds to keep this community project alive for another thirty days.  I still find it a source of amazement - heroic in its own right - that so many people would be willing to contribute so much time, energy and effort just to keep an online game engine alive.  I imagine, Captain Blaze, that you have felt - and still do feel - it yourself, along with the rest of the contributors to this thread and this site: Saving lives, purely virtual as they may be, lets us know we can summon up at least that much good will inside ourselves, and maybe - just maybe - bring it out for a moment's view in real life.

On 3/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, Captain Blaze said:

So like many I used to play CoH but then the idiots in charge shut it down, now I hear of rogue servers where you can still play CoH, is that true? How or where would I start?

The folks in charge of CoH were dedicated and loved the game as much as we did, their overlords were the idiots. Just to be clear. 😄

And welcome back!

• Thumbs Up 4

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 3/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, Captain Blaze said:

I think of Homecoming as more Vigilante server than rogue... 😄

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, momentarygrace said:

I think of Homecoming as more Vigilante server than rogue... 😄

Abandoned by a villain, rescued and run by heroes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

11 minutes ago, Captain Blaze said:

Do I have to create a new account or did it old stuff somehow save? I tried looking but when I launch the game it just asks for login but nothing about creation.

You have to create a brand new account. Nothing of accounts or characters was saved from the retail servers.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Welcome Back!

Some things are the same, some are new. Never hesitate to ask this outstanding community.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

On 3/25/2022 at 6:00 PM, Black Talon said:

Probably totally gratuitous advice and pointers, but just to note - the population on Homecoming is, quite obviously, a fraction of what CoX was during its heyday in '04-'06.  Consequently, team-ups are a somewhat more difficult arrangement than previously, though, with time and effort, you can likely put something together. 

i haven’t found this to be the case on excelsior during EU evening/EST afternoon, the LFG channel is teaming with teams for mishes/TFs/trials/GMs

busier now than it was when i played on defiant back on live

On 3/24/2022 at 11:06 AM, Captain Blaze said:

Welcome back.  We have a small but fanatical community.  The Dev team here is volunteer but is still putting out (very) high quality content.  Not at the speed of a corporate staff but steady.  And better.  In my opinion 

Excelsior is the busiest of the servers.   Three years or so in and people are migrating there for greater teaming opportunities….which exacerbates the issue and creates another wave of….people moving to Excelsior 

Good Luck!  There are a lot of good players in the game and the community is top notch

• Like 1