The worst thing you can do?

zenijos10

So maybe that was a harsh thing to say, but there *is* elitism by the majority of folks in the game who are def. older which you also confirmed.  There was a conversation I listened to in game not too long ago for a while that started out polite but degenerated into "we're old and better and everything that isn't old sucks".  I feel like there will never be a new crowd of people to play or continue to play with this attitude but maybe the vets just want to keep it that way. 😕

I wonder how often a youngish player tries out the game and actually gets accepted as a person in the community beyond just getting useful tips and a greeting by the welcoming team or inf from their parents who play.  😕  I def. don't feel like I fit in which leads to frustration and my off and on playing. 😕  I played on live during the last couple years it was up which is why I keep coming back. I still like the game.  I had friends back then, but it's different now and I only have one person on my friends list after several months of playing. 

Just thought I would share that.

I don't think it is a generational thing: some players legitimately feel that the challenges offered by the game are only for content suitable for level 50+ characters, with or without incarnates. Challenges in lower level TFs exist, it isn't a case of them being 'the worse thing ever'.

I can't comment on if I qualify as a 'boomer'; the last time someone online tried to exert some authority on that question had a meltdown over the not-so-subtle point around whether a person could be of the same generation as their parents.

For the record, older is generally better with regards to most things.  But its not about the way things used to be, get off my lawn kind of nostalgia.  It's about experience and enough time having passed to allow lessons to be learned, kinks to be worked out and a better, final product delivered.  New software comes out and there may be bugs, but over time as it gets older (mature), is becomes stable and people become accustomed to it.  That is why when the new comes out there is so much push back.  It applies to everything; games, people, politics.  Older is better but also means listening and learning about the new in order to improve.  New becomes old real quick, ask MySpace, or Facebook, or in a few years Twitter, they were all toys of the young but soon became tools of the old.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 6/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, Akalabeth said:

So maybe that was a harsh thing to say, but there *is* elitism by the majority of folks in the game who are def. older which you also confirmed.  There was a conversation I listened to in game not too long ago for a while that started out polite but degenerated into "we're old and better and everything that isn't old sucks".  I feel like there will never be a new crowd of people to play or continue to play with this attitude but maybe the vets just want to keep it that way. 😕

I wonder how often a youngish player tries out the game and actually gets accepted as a person in the community beyond just getting useful tips and a greeting by the welcoming team or inf from their parents who play.  😕  I def. don't feel like I fit in which leads to frustration and my off and on playing. 😕  I played on live during the last couple years it was up which is why I keep coming back. I still like the game.  I had friends back then, but it's different now and I only have one person on my friends list after several months of playing. 

Just thought I would share that.

I’m sure you can PM many of us if you need someone to play with 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 2:26 PM, Ulysses Dare said:

Griefing. Actually, deliberately screwing up the game for other people. The worst example I've seen was the jerk (I'm being polite there) who sabotaged several Master of Lambda attempts by waiting until we had Marauder's health bar down to a sliver and then tossing a grenade on him.  Compared to that, dropping out of a TF is nothing. 

My signature has a link to where I documented a way to discover who is ruining Lambda badge runs like this, using the demorecord option. I'm sure you can use the demorecord option more broadly for other places in the game where griefing is possible. Best practice in Lambda badge runs is to insist that all temps get passed to the league or team leader after TP out of the munitions depot or training facility, so you know where all of them are. You are then on high alert if you don't get all 10. For griefers, you also have to watch the weapon cache and containment chamber outside, as well - those are pretty easy, but also pretty obvious, for a griefer to prevent a badge run from succeeding. I let it be known to my leagues what the demorecord shows, and let them decide what to do from there. Often, as someone else mentioned, it's not intentional, but when it is you will see them run for the hills.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

My signature has a link to where I documented a way to discover who is ruining Lambda badge runs like this, using the demorecord option. I'm sure you can use the demorecord option more broadly for other places in the game where griefing is possible. Best practice in Lambda badge runs is to insist that all temps get passed to the league or team leader after TP out of the munitions depot or training facility, so you know where all of them are. You are then on high alert if you don't get all 10. For griefers, you also have to watch the weapon cache and containment chamber outside, as well - those are pretty easy, but also pretty obvious, for a griefer to prevent a badge run from succeeding. I let it be known to my leagues what the demorecord shows, and let them decide what to do from there. Often, as someone else mentioned, it's not intentional, but when it is you will see them run for the hills.

Hi Oklahoman. 🙂

You were the first one I ran with on a Lambda to get synchronized.  The side I wasn't on was running around destroying the crates ignoring what people were saying. 😞 I think we got it on one of the last crate things left.  That was a few months back.

20 hours ago, Apparition said:

Only play blue side.  Red and gold side content is much better written, and more challenging.  Sometimes substantially more challenging.  They help give you a better understanding of the game and its mechanics.

You can definitely see how the various devs built on the system over the years. A lot of early (in developmemt terms) blueside content is, frankly, filler. The Freakalympics and the PI Praetorian arcs are probably the only really standout story arcs from the early game. Even the Kheldian story arcs are basically time-filling exercises, and the Shadow Shard is a grind of near-indentical missions. Striga and Croatoa, last couple of maps before CoV released really do mark a transition between old and new gameplay, with a clearer zone narrative, although some of the Croatoan mission maps are much too large and much too sparcely filled to be revisited as much as they are. 

I don't even think grindy missions are bad; it's an important "it's the weekend, I'm tired and I don't want to engage a single braincell" style of gameplay that *sigh*  I completely appreciate having the option to do. But it's not all the game. 

Redside content is grindy but good. There was experimentation there, and the narratives start to build up on top of each other, with call-backs and crossovers that aren't really picked up blueside until much later. The enemies get harder faster and it feels like foreshadowing was actually taken into account. 

Early Goldside is good, although suffers a bit from only really using two map designs outside of the end-of-arc narrative-focused missions. First Ward, Night Ward, Faultline (that I think people overlook because of the skip-to-the-end levelling approach that many people take) are probably the most interesting and varied zones in terms of mission types and gimmicks blueside. Dark Astoria has some solid missions, too. 

And yet, here we are again, bashing fascists in Peregrine Island in a towerblock facade that leads to a sewer entrance. 

My advice is to roll up some tip missions: they're a lot more varied than radio missions (though you'll see them repeating soon enough) and invite lowbies into those. Malta and Knives of Artemis are less of a mob grinder. 

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

9 hours ago, Akalabeth said:

You were the first one I ran with on a Lambda to get synchronized.  The side I wasn't on was running around destroying the crates ignoring what people were saying. 😞 I think we got it on one of the last crate things left.  That was a few months back.

People who are just playing the game and not reading chat don't bother me near as much as what was mentioned in the thread here - someone who is obviously sabotaging a run by hanging on to a Pacification Grenade until the last second and using it then. Or running straight out and using a Molecular Acid (seriously, who even uses those these days?). Or sneaking away from the group to destroy either the Containment Chamber or Weapons Cache outside. I don't understand the joy in intentionally sabotaging a badge run.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

I don't understand the joy in intentionally sabotaging a badge run.

Lower on empathy, higher on sadism, bored and unable to find a more constructive outlet because they can't confront their addiction to what's familiar.

On 6/19/2022 at 4:16 PM, blue4333 said:

Playing an Empathy defender with only 1 attack power, and the full Medicine pool

Or petless masterminds

😝

A petless mastermind with empathy secondary, 1 attack and full medicine?

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

17 hours ago, akumamishima said:

Lower on empathy, higher on sadism, bored and unable to find a more constructive outlet because they can't confront their addiction to what's familiar.

Someone streaming (and posting on youtube!!) about joining a kid's minecraft server. Kid's non stop chattering about the game, even mentions how long he has been working on it. In the meanwhile the streamer is running around planting dynamite while doing minimum talk to keep the kid busy.

Then he blows up the kid's work. Kid is all 'what happened?? What happened!!?!?!' while the guy is playing dumb 'what happened dude??'.

Then he uploads it on youtube.

For me Scrappertanking as the only / main tank really really annoys me. The ones who are indestructible but seem to be blind to the fact they've overaggroed in an ITF and the rest of the team aren't as IOd out or are sidekicks and are being slaughtered by the stacking buffs.

My SG mates and I did an ITF with a tank like that recently and it was a horrific experience. Most of us were on leveling chars and really struggling but as long as they were alive it was irrelevant. 

We ended up kicking them after several angry exchanges (actually due to dumb, horrible stuff they started spewing) and just doing it on a lower diff and all was fine. 

Although singling out Tanks are s unfair of me, it really boils down to refusing to play as a team (things like speed-stealthing stalkers zooming to the end of missions and completing them falls into the same bracket)

• Thanks 1

I've never gotten angry when someone has had to bounce due to real life. It's such a rare thing.

I did get yelled at the other day for using a flying power to get out Battle Maiden's death beam (Apex).

First time I've heard anyone complain about that in almost 3,000 hours on live and Homecoming combined, so that was news to me. Always thought it was rather easy to dodge since you get the visual and audio warning, but to each their own.  

2 hours ago, RicoRaynn said:

I did get yelled at the other day for using a flying power to get out Battle Maiden's death beam (Apex).

I can sort of appreciate that one. Not the yelling, but half-understanding the mechanics and freaking out when someone breaks a "rule". 

If you're flying, it can cause the blue circle to spawn in mid-air, but the damage still hits you underneath it in a certain radius. If you're flying, stay high. If you're in mid-level, the circle can appear above the players, but still high enough to be hard to see but low enough to do damage. The warning is easy to see, but not if it spawns in mid-air. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

In Homecoming, aside from very specific attempts to complete particular content with "zero deaths", I'm tossing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ towards casual PUG actions that lead to character defeats in a thread of "worst thing a player can do" thread. The consequences for such defeats is practically nil, and while I am not defending or advocating the practice of griefing other players this sort of action with the blue patches doesn't strike me as particularly different than ignoring spawns/ambushes in other content (ehem, Positron 1, which was one of last week's WTF) .

I’d just never heard of it before is all. 

Since she tends to spawn the death beams on herself,  the minute you hear the noise I always got the heck out of dodge.

I do tend to play that fight with the camera drawn further back, so it makes things easier to see. 

Not a huge deal to swap tactics for me (especially since at current incarnate levels it’s a fairly trivial run). Just found  it odd that I somehow missed out on that information for so long.

Yeah, I only learned this now too.  I haven't done that one all that often though, as I often play squishies.  And for some reason that one TF out of them all (maybe Aeon) seems to bring out the yellingest team leaders (and no, this wasn't all just yelling at me for dying ha ha).  Not all the time mind you, just ups the odds.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, RicoRaynn said:

I’d just never heard of it before is all. 

Since she tends to spawn the death beams on herself,  the minute you hear the noise I always got the heck out of dodge.

I do tend to play that fight with the camera drawn further back, so it makes things easier to see. 

Not a huge deal to swap tactics for me (especially since at current incarnate levels it’s a fairly trivial run). Just found  it odd that I somehow missed out on that information for so long.

Shes spawns on players at random, not herself. And though I don't want to say the 'circles' are actually spheres they are at least ovals. So one spawned in the air is a lot less obvious and someone can run under it and have their HP chunked.

As you've pointed out it's not a big deal and once people know about it they are more careful. Yelling at people who don't know tactics is a good way to show the yeller is a dumb ass.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:56 AM, High_Beam said:

For the record, older is generally better with regards to most things.  But its not about the way things used to be, get off my lawn kind of nostalgia.  It's about experience and enough time having passed to allow lessons to be learned, kinks to be worked out and a better, final product delivered.  New software comes out and there may be bugs, but over time as it gets older (mature), is becomes stable and people become accustomed to it.  That is why when the new comes out there is so much push back.  It applies to everything; games, people, politics.  Older is better but also means listening and learning about the new in order to improve.  New becomes old real quick, ask MySpace, or Facebook, or in a few years Twitter, they were all toys of the young but soon became tools of the old.

I'd give up my old age wisdom for my early 20s body in a heartbeat.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'd give up my old age wisdom for my early 20s body in a heartbeat.

I hear you man, I have a quad bypass and would take my 40 year old body even.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)