Bios

Akalabeth

8 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Sometimes I put my global handle in the player description, sometimes I write a good background. I've seen folks write anything under the sun, within the CoC guidelines.

Pretty much.  I'm  not even consistent character-to-character.

When I was on Live I played on Virtue and tended to put a lot of info in the description.  Since I'm not on Everlasting now, I figure most people don't even look at them so I rarely bother.  I still come up with elaborate backstories for my characters, of course, I just rarely bother to write up an in-game description anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I've personally done with each and every toon I've created is pretty much the following;

"____ of Magellen is a 2nd Generation Member of the Nation of Magellen SG in Paragon City.
He excels in dealing with matters concerning the Crey Corporation, the Council and the 5th Column (as examples, changes with each toon's "theme") "

I use "_____ of Magellen" because all of my toons are named "Something of Magellen"
Wake of Magellen, Siloam of Magellen, Patrick of Magellen, etc, etc...

It's just a theme I decided on many years ago when Live on Infinity.
I make it where all the toons (36 for right now) are in my SG..... and it's a nice thing to have since I have my base all tricked out and super functional.

trial2.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see this on Everlasting. The other Shards, not so much. My bios are all OOC stuff. No one cares about my backstories. 

Yeah.  I can safely say that I have never seen that on either Excelsior or Torchbearer.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I'm willing to bet it's a rarity on Everlasting as well. Most of the time, I see bios used for their intended purpose, to give a background to the character. I used to do that, and I might have one or two toons around with some sort of backstory posted. But I do things like Giant Monster hunting, and Smashing/Lethal farming with my own farms, so now I use the space for that. 

Yeah, what I usually put in my bios was blurb containing information that people might know about the character (either things that are a matter of public record, or have been on the news, or that you might know if you have certain connections (like excerpts from their Longbow or Arachnos dossiers).  Like, one of my brutes' bios was basically the contents of her Wanted poster.

Never seen it on Reunion either.

@Akalabeth, give it some time.  I'm sure you'll work out a bio for your main at least, and once you've done that, well, sky's not the limit!

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

If you see a bio with those RP-tags that indicate various preferences and such, you are also likely seeing someone else who reads bios. And in my experience, most of them are eager to follow the code of conduct, and they use those tags as a means to do so. If you see any of those various mature content RP-tags, don't worry about being dragged into something unpleasant - they're probably reading your bio too, and if you don't have these sorts of tags then they know you're not interested.

If you intend to roleplay, just put "((Roleplayer))" at the top of your bio, and turn on the "Roleplaying" status title. If by some off chance someone does try to initiate code of conduct breaking RP with you, ask them firmly, but politely, to stop. If they don't, then put in a support ticket, and let the GM staff take care of it.

Otherwise, a creative bio can be a lot of fun to write and others may find it interesting to read, even if you never roleplay in game.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

I'm willing to bet it's a rarity on Everlasting as well

Not as rare as you might think, though most of those people seem to be permanent residents of Pocket D. With the AE in there, they never have to leave if they don't want to. I usually see at least one or two every time I go there to afk for the "time spent in PD" badge and I often just afk in there in general since there's no hostile mobs to bother me.

I don't have these things in my bio since I use it for my character background/origin of powers/explaining my lame concept.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

9 hours ago, Akalabeth said:

I've been seeing bios of characters with sexual orientation and preferences listed.  When did it become important to note?  Was it this way on live?

I'll put in things such as height, weight, background, ethnicity...however...sexual orientation...that tends to be more in line with ERPers, tho, I'm sure someone will say "I don't do that, but put it in"  I'd say they're in the minority.

It may even help stop some RPs from taking place.  Like "Well, I see their character won't be interested in mine, so won't try hitting on them."  Which, in a RP setting, should just do anyways 😜

6 hours ago, Krimson said:

You get to play fun games like "Find the Cursor". But eventually you get the hang of it, but it's still a pain. 

Awww, now I want a purple enhancement set which gives my character +Accuracy when playing the Find The Cursor minigame!

• Haha 1

I only put stuff in if it would be known about the character or is told from their point if view.

If it is not important, I leave it out due to lack to space to write what I would write if their was space.

That would make an interesting thread for people to post what they would have put in their bio if they had room.

On 7/7/2022 at 1:29 AM, Akalabeth said:

Alright thanks for responding everyone. 🙂  I didn't realize it has always been like this.  

On a side note, I wish I was creative enough to give my characters backstories. 😞

You're creative enough, you just need inspiration and time.

EDIT: I should add that inspiration doesn't come from thin air - look at what others are doing, copy bits you like, change them, tweak it a bit with your own flavour. Don't think you need to make everything from scratch, that's not how creativity works. We build on the past.

Edited by Herotu
Insert reason for edit.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

18 hours ago, Britannic said:

I'd definitely seen plenty of it back on Virtue server on live.

I probably never noticed tbh. Then again I was considerably younger then and didn't particularly care for anything past "Get new 50 :P"

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Depending on the 50, I'll either give a novel-lite excerpt, or a spell-caster class breakdown (as in the case for Doomsinger Warlock)

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Virtue was the unofficial secretly official RP server. No telling what you might see or hear while moving about the City, specially in Atlas Park. 

The ERP could get annoying sometimes - do that stuff in private people - but not too often.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I usually try for a real quick origin story and a touch of character attitude

my main, Snarky the vampire’s bio is basically a couple sentences griping at people for assuming he might be related to the council non vampire abominations or even worse want to go to high school and date a teenager. Then he gives one last snark about  “why are you still here?”

Edited by Snarky

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I usually try for a real quick origin story and a touch of character attitude

my main, Snarky the vampire’s bio is basically a couple sentences griping at people for assuming he might be related to the council non vampire abominations or even worse want to go to high school and date a teenager. Then he gives one last snark about  “why are you still here?”

Anything about you sparkling in the sunlight?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1