All zones changed to LEVEL 50 - thoughts?

Troo

Raising zones to 50   

72 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best course of action.

• Do it
    • Please no
  2. 2. How do you feel about mobs/groups which don't have level 50 versions getting cleaned up later?

• Okay with it
    • That's lame. Do or do not, there is no try.
    • No means no!! (see first question)

I'm not sure what the point of this topic is supposed to be. I know you've been going on about "this is just the first step towards free 50s for everyone in all content" with regards to the PvP 50s that are trapped in PvP zones (and Pocket D) forever, but you do know there are other servers that already offer that "free 50" feature? Or that you can just play on Brainstorm directly and get the same experience?

I feel like this thread exists to stir up drama around doom-posting because it would get pruned out of the beta thread if you kept it there.

• Thumbs Up 2

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

Sorry, I'm struggling to wrap my head around what making all zones level 50 would accomplish. Assuming you do take the insta-50 and pop in with a new toon, will you really be going out to street sweep? And if I don't do the insta-50, I appear in Mercy with my spanking new villain, I would be surrounded by L50 Rippers, snakes, longbow? That would make getting around town really difficult. what happens to hunt missions? like Numi's hunt X number of Y mobs in (Z)one? All the mobs will be 10 levels above the team.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, tidge said:

OK, so if that would happen, can we support an AE environment that is open-world (non-instanced) that lets people play at a non-instant level 50 pace and team with random players, and has multiple zones and contacts to choose from?

/s

If I remember correctly, our dev team is 3 people. Lets have reasonable expectations of unpaid volunteers. I appreciate them but they need to sleep and have lives too.

20 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

The instant 50s isn't allowed to do pve missions, and only participate in pvp settings.

Pve doesn't need instant 50s.

That said allowing contacts and mobs to scale up to 50s so characters don't accidentally out level content I'm not opposed to. Thunderspy did something similar with  level-less zones and it worked well enough more or less, however certain mob types had to have more powers added to them to balance better at higher level of play, and lower level characters still had difficulty with normally higher level mobs because the number of powers that caused debuffs in things like Agony Mages, or Devouring Earth, etc.

level less zones is why I quit swtor. I want to actually progress in the game.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, America's Angel said:

+1

Devs have gone on record saying insta-50s for PvE is never going to happen.

We already have near-insta-50s via farming, anyways.

• Thanks 1

Everlasting's Actionette 

Also Wolfhound, Starwave, Blue Gale, Relativity Rabbit, and many more!

Since we have tons of legacy content, I think its a noble idea in theory.  Honestly, my idea would be removing the level caps from missions.  Why do I have to do timey wimey exemplaring shenanigans to fight Skulls?  They're still a problem now!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Everlasting's Actionette 

Adding: Would Batman think of himself as too OP to bust some low-rent den of thugs?

Also adding: Use the Quantum stuff to throw in random Malta if you are running this stuff at 50.  That way there's still an element of surprise.

Everlasting's Actionette 

Ehhh think I’d get bored. Hell I’m bored now post-50 after a few days( it’s why I keep making new 50s) if everything becomes insta-50, think it would be the push to finally get me to forever uninstall CoH

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

22 hours ago, tidge said:

OK, so if that would happen, can we support an AE environment that is open-world (non-instanced) that lets people play at a non-instant level 50 pace and team with random players, and has multiple zones and contacts to choose from?

/s

50 minutes ago, ivanhedgehog said:

If I remember correctly, our dev team is 3 people. Lets have reasonable expectations of unpaid volunteers. I appreciate them but they need to sleep and have lives too.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ivanhedgehog said:

Close on the number.

Powerhouse/Booper/Player One (I think) are our power devs.
Fautline is a little of many things.
Naomi is Costumes/Bases
Cobalt & Caretaker are story/content.
N6 is the code wrangler. (There's probably a better way to describe it but shh)
Zanshin is...someone.

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Thanks 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

2 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

I'm not sure what the point of this topic is supposed to be.

Should we just bump all the zones, missions, and task forces to level 50+?

• Any concerns?
  • What's the best way to implement?

Do you have thoughts?

3 hours ago, Psyonico said:

Why isn't "Hell no" an option?

Good point.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 7/23/2022 at 1:48 PM, Troo said:

With the advent of instant level 50s with full Accolades and Incarnates

To my understanding, that's only in PvP zones, and those characters can't access non-pvp zones. Not like anyone uses the pvp zones for anything other than the occasional pill box and hero/villain badges. 

So, unless something has changed, I have no idea what you're talking about. 

Should they allow an instant 50 (sans incarnate stuff) or even with free incarnate stuff - why not? Some folks will still play content all the way through from level 1. 
Other folks can then stop spending time in the afk farms and do what they wanted to do already, a few itrial and tf trains. 

I don't see the harm. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

Should they allow an instant 50 (sans incarnate stuff) or even with free incarnate stuff - why not? Some folks will still play content all the way through from level 1. 
Other folks can then stop spending time in the afk farms and do what they wanted to do already, a few itrial and tf trains. 

See you got it.

Now an extension of that is what is also happening over in PvP where they are considering bumping the levels of all PvP zones to 50.

For PvE that would or could be changing open zones to be level-less similar to invasions or level 50. Task forces, trials, etc. could be the same.

Story arcs could be level specific and lockout powers over certain thresholds.

There could be a lot of ideas or ways to go about it.

Edited by Troo
edited, because some people
  • Thumbs Down 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

1 hour ago, Troo said:

Should we just bump all the zones, missions, and task forces to level 50+?

• Any concerns?
  • What's the best way to implement?

Do you have thoughts?

Good point.

No.

Too much work (on the Dev's part) for too little return.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Level-less games exist and are an interesting design and can be fun (pre-homecoming I pretty much exclusively played ESO) however, the whole game is balanced around the fact that the mobs are level-less.

Every mob group that isn't already 1-50 would have to be rebalanced to be not too easy at level 50 but not too hard at level 1.  Not worth it this far into the game's existence.

• Thanks 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

@Psyonico@Oubliette_Red what if it hypothetically wasn't that hard to do? Still not worth it?

excerpt:

"change data/scripts.loc/ScriptDefs/V_SirensCallPvP.scriptdef,  data/scripts.loc/ScriptDefs/V_BloodyBayPvP.scriptdef and  data/scripts.loc/ScriptDefs/V_WarburgPvP.scriptdef, set var PvPCombatLevel = 50 instead of their existing levels, and restart the mapserver."

"I change the level of the spawndefs, so any mobs that exist at the right levels go up, yes. 30 second change, + half an hour waiting for mapserver to rebuild spawndefs"

2 hours ago, Troo said:

@Psyonico@Oubliette_Red what if it hypothetically wasn't that hard to do? Still not worth it?

For pvp, I don't like it because it would spread out the already low number of PvP players since now there is no reason to be in one zone over the others.

For PvE I stand by what I said earlier.  In level-less games all mobs are designed to be not too hard for level 1 players, but not too easy for max level players.  This is not the case with CoX, so the enemies would either have to all be rebalanced or you would just end up confusing players who don't know things like "at level 1 you don't go to peregrine Island"

• Thumbs Up 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Troo said:

excerpt:

"change data/scripts.loc/ScriptDefs/V_SirensCallPvP.scriptdef,  data/scripts.loc/ScriptDefs/V_BloodyBayPvP.scriptdef and  data/scripts.loc/ScriptDefs/V_WarburgPvP.scriptdef, set var PvPCombatLevel = 50 instead of their existing levels, and restart the mapserver."

"I change the level of the spawndefs, so any mobs that exist at the right levels go up, yes. 30 second change, + half an hour waiting for mapserver to rebuild spawndefs"

Modifying every member of every faction or adding additional members to each faction is not a small task.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

4 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

That's hardly a *secret*!

That's only because he doesn't have his glasses on...

• Thumbs Up 1

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝