Best (and worst) thematic powersets

pawstruck

Which powersets in the game represent their theme best and worst, do you think? I mean both visually and mechanically.

Worst: For me, there is no set that lets me realize the psychic feel. Mass Confusion and Telekinetic Blast are as close as it gets, but many of the other psychic powers in the game seem... vanilla; just the same stock stuns or sleeps that every control set has.

I wish psy blasts had some unique mechanic... maybe each blast built up to a free Confuse effect, like the Seers have? I dunno; it's just a theme I've never been able to realize in the game.

Best: Storm Summoning really recreates the hectic, "is there a storm in here?!" feeling well.

Elec blast's -End is really cool; I love it.

Ice control really feels icy. 🙂

What are some of the power sets or combos that you guys have found the most flavorful?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, pawstruck said:

Best: Storm Summoning really recreates the hectic, "is there a storm in here?!" feeling well.

Storm/Water is one of the most fun "everything is chaotic but I can't see anything" combinations. It's really fun, synergises really well, and you absolutely cannot see anything on your screen. 10/10. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Spines for me isn't a good themed set.  Part of the issue is simply the poison aspect of it which works fine for a venoumous creature theme but doesn't work as well if you're aiming for something like iron, stone or ice barbs.  I have a Spines/Ice Scrapper and the poison just comes across as an anomally when I was going for ice shards.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

5 hours ago, pawstruck said:

I wish psy blasts had some unique mechanic... maybe each blast built up to a free Confuse effect, like the Seers have? I dunno; it's just a theme I've never been able to realize in the game.

I'd like to see heads literally explode as psi damage added up on them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Best: Earth Control

Worst: Kinetic (Nascar) Melee

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 11/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, DougGraves said:

dual pistols

Totally, I have 3 DP Blasters (MC, Atomic and Ninja), a DP/Elec Sent, a Time/DP Defender.  They are fun even if they aren't the top dogs for damage and fun is more important to me than 2% more DPS.  But there is so much thematic variety to work from there because essentially anyone can learn to shoot a handgun correctly and effectively so if you are a gal or guy who has some super powers but aren't suited for full super power action, grab some guns, learn to shoot them then go.  hunt.  kill skuls.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 11/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, DougGraves said:

dual pistols

Thank you.  I know they felt they had to match other blast sets for performative animations, but every time my character starts winging the Pistols around like a moron I silently hope I accidentally shoot myself and put an end to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

3 hours ago, roleki said:

Thank you.  I know they felt they had to match other blast sets for performative animations, but every time my character starts winging the Pistols around like a moron I silently hope I accidentally shoot myself and put an end to it.

Just gonna make Angelina mad eh?

EqualImperfectKrill-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Erratic1
  • Haha 1

I play a lot of Dark.   Both Melee and Squishies. I think Scrapper is probably the only one I have not done.  Although I have never run Stalkers very high I have run (and maybe still have) one Dark Dark that I ran through stories until mid teens.  Then realized a Dark Blaster was just 2x Faster.  

I have many complai….errr issues with the very real slights Dark has to endure.  In many cases without I/Os some AT choices on Dark are nearly untenable.  

The problems Dark has involve everything from long animation times to hard to land narrow arcs to Endurance issues to funky mixed range sets to Soul Drain not working hardly at all for non Melee but thats what you get so suck it.  But wait there is more (and less).  It always felt like whoever had Dark Blast thrown on their desk just cloned the basic attack set for Blasters and changed one ranged AoE to a cone then went back to day drinking.   Meanwhile the person working on the Darkness Manipulation went on a weeklong coke binge with grand ideas and crazy final choices (a PBAoE buildup power?  A damage Aura with no thought to damage mitigation?)

Having said all that many of the animations and power effects for Dark seem spot on for me.  They just are hard to work with mechanically in game

Edited by Snarky

5 hours ago, roleki said:

Hail of Bullets makes me feel like Yosemite Sam.

If it makes you feel better, you can imagine that your gun has two triggers, one that you pull randomly when flailing about to obscure your actual shots, which are more carefully aimed.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Staff is pretty good, except maybe for the “I stab your feet multiple times!” animation. The thing I like about it is if your big AoE attack misses you still look cool because you’re break dancing.

• Haha 3

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

2 hours ago, cranebump said:

Staff is pretty good, except maybe for the “I stab your feet multiple times!” animation. The thing I like about it is if your big AoE attack misses you still look cool because you’re break dancing.

LOL. I always wonder how that power in particular is supposed to hurt things like Kraken and Hami.

"Ow! Stop!"

3 hours ago, cranebump said:

Heh. I actually like that one. Especially if you get the target when *they* aren't trying to animate an attack or something so they can do the "hop from foot to foot" reaction.

"Toes toes toes..."

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

The trick is to do a knockdown right before that attack, and to use the naginata staff when you do. 

Then it looks like you're repeatedly stabbing the bad guy somewhere he really does not want to be stabbed.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hey now, if Kung Fu Hustle has taught us anything, rapidly slamming someone in the foot is painful enough to even stop a nearly-invulnerable Kung Fu master.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My blind staff fighter just looks like she's, well, swinging around blindly.  And yet, hitting people effectively.

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

18 hours ago, Lancek said:

Beast Mastery should be renamed to Wolf Mastery 

My main was a BM/Nature MM... I do agree, the menagerie of animals you get is pretty blase. A tiny bit of customization would really help.

I'll add here that I think Savage Melee is everything claws should have been, but better. I like all the animations but one, and the "pounce" teleport is pretty satisfying to use. (I do wish it had a low-mag knockdown, though... how did I just jump on you and you barely flinched?)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MistressOhm said:

My blind staff fighter just looks like she's, well, swinging around blindly.  And yet, hitting people effectively.

If the old 1972 "Kung Fu" TV Show taught me anything, it's never underestimate the Old Blind Guy (Master Po, not to be confused with a certain Panda)

Tumblr