Character max level is usually 26 to 30 now (for me)

Diantane

I do get some characters that I really like to play to 50 and beyond, but most of them used to get to 35 or 38 and be abandoned (especially with sentinels because their "epic" powers are more like noob junk). With the new power change, this abandonment level is now 26 to 30 (depends if I really want the last secondary power or not). This means that in two days from creation, the fun is over for that character and have to look for a new one (currently have 99 alts on my server). 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, but that's 100% due to your personal opinion and preferences.

I take every single character to 50.

Neither way is 'right' and neither is 'wrong'.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I'm not sure I understand the point of this post.

Are you asking for some kind of change to be made? Because there's literally a whole separate "Suggestions & Feedback" forum for that -- suggest something!

If not, are you looking for solutions or workarounds from players? Just complaining/venting? In what way specifically are sentinels' patron/ancillary powers "noob junk"?

Edited by Mjolnerd
  • Like 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

3 hours ago, Diantane said:

(especially with sentinels because their "epic" powers are more like noob junk).

I dont see how this is an issue.  30+ is the time for mules and such for power picks.  most of my melee end up taking the Concealment Pool and maybe body/energy mastery for one slot wonder powers

Hmm, sure is interesting:

image.png.ddbf4f78493f32cfda407989a03d9117.png

So which is it? You can't make it over 30, or all of your characters are over 35?

• Haha 3

If we were all at a party as friends and I said that about City of Heroes, would you all say the same thing? I was just thinking aloud. Don't want to change anything. I like the new way of playing.

Really sorry about the poor epic powers for sentinels though and I've made 38 of them (only one of them made 50+). Those powers aren't very epic. That's something I've like the developers to improve upon.

10 minutes ago, Diantane said:

If we were all at a party as friends and I said that about City of Heroes, would you all say the same thing? I was just thinking aloud. Don't want to change anything. I like the new way of playing.

Really sorry about the poor epic powers for sentinels though and I've made 38 of them (only one of them made 50+). Those powers aren't very epic. That's something I've like the developers to improve upon.

This is the added context a lot of us needed since we aren't at a party as friends. We've got your past threads to go off, which have all been interesting.

Anyways, I'm a fan of Sentinels and have enjoyed the recent updates to the Archetype; with 38 in your arsenal, what do you think of those changes to how you play?

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

4 hours ago, Diantane said:

I do get some characters that I really like to play to 50 and beyond, but most of them used to get to 35 or 38 and be abandoned

Sounds like a "you" issue.  Have you tried changing what "you" are doing? Maybe try a different AT, an unusual powerset combination, or just take a break for a little while - burn-out is a very real thing...

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Diantane said:

Hmm....  My Sentinel is 50 and fully tier 4 incarnate (with 3 Destiny powers).

By "epic powers", do you mean the Ancillary Pools (which many call epic pools) or the tier 9 power?

If you mean the Ancillary Pools, nothing there impressed me so I didn't take any of them.

If you mean the tier 9 in the primary, I DID take that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

All good. I have some toons that I keep at 45, 40, 35, 30... even a few that I keep at level 1. then again most of those are for RP purposes. Those that will never ding 50, I still play with XP on but not train after a certain level. This improves their powers and stats but limits power picks and slots--again for RP purposes and other eccentric reasons.

As for the Epic Powers (Ancillary and Patron) I tend to take or not take them for thematic purposes. I don't expect much from them, although they do lend some utility (def mules, extra res, some form of control, etc) and dimension to some of my toons. Some of my sentinels get a sword or a pet or a power that broadens their character.

At the end of the day, you get to decide how you want to play the game. As Dire Straits aptly put it: "There are so many different worlds, so many different suns. We have just one world, but we live in different ones."

I am almost the exact opposite.  Unless it is a “project” with specific low level goals I farm a toon to high 20s to low 30s.  Then I respec them frontloaded for exemplar activity.  Then I start Posi 1,Posi2, Synapse, Tarikoss,…. You see the pattern.  This allows me to enjoy the toon on PUG teams, learning the powers as they come in.   I earn some merits and have  fun. Fun….like all the world is Saturday morning cartoon time!

• Like 2

I'm with Snarky. Find the early levels tedious so I usually use a Fire Tank to PL a new character to ~ 27 (or 32), start IOing them with sets and play from there on. I'll happily exemp down to run TFs or join lower teams but I really don't enjoy not being well on the road. 

30s are actually my favourite part of the game to be levelling because the characters & build tend to coalesce then (enough powers to make it interesting, enough slots & sets available to make them powerful). 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like Jell-O

• Haha 3

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)