What is your favorite zone event?

KaizenSoze

Nemesis all the way. It legit feels like an invasion. The dialogue always cracks me up.

I also have a soft spot for Scrapyard (bough not the same type of event I suppose). While the union busting undertones make me twitch a bit, I dig the mechanics of how it gets triggered along with the ad hoc nature of redside dropping their lackey ways to hop on a team. 

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

2 minutes ago, Nyghtmaire said:

Nemesis all the way. It legit feels like an invasion.

Eh... they just appear.  The Rikti Invasion sends in ships dropping bombs you have to defuse.  Then they start beaming down troops.  And then you get an accolade power if you do well enough.

Now, if the Nemesis invasion event had included mole machines?  Whole different ballgame.  Have the event grant you a Fake Nem summon temp power as reward.  Boom!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Now, if the Nemesis invasion event had included mole machines?  Whole different ballgame.  Have the event grant you a Fake Nem summon temp power as reward.  Boom!

Wouldn’t say no to this!

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Hard to say. I like Rikti Invasion for the spectacle, but participating in the actual event is usually a lag fest. Since I'm primarily a melee AT player, I usually spend my time tab targetting through invisible targets that die upon spawning in.

I liked the zombie event way more when the EBs were twenty feet tall.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

1 hour ago, Scientist said:

Is there a good list somewhere of all the zone events, and what, if anything, triggers them?  I stumbled on one in St. Marts that I never knew about, and it even had a badge.  

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Category:Zone_Events

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I enjoy Brickstown's Zig Escape, except that players will leave that event "unfinished", and the Freaks really like to hide, which locks the event.

Similarly, I like the Kings Row event, because it is slightly easier to find the spawned clockworks that need to be defeated in order to allow the event to respawn.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of like the Steel canyon fires. They're one of the most "naturally part of the zone" feeling events, and the fact there's logical interaction - to a point - with some player powers (ice and water attacks being able to be used directly on them - though fire powers don't "heal" them) just makes them fit very well.

I'd probably like the Zig event if it were contained more. No more Freaks or prisoners running off out of the event and never coming back. But I'd like it for the same reason.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

The Great Pumpkin - Nearly Naked Jack War in Croatoa, just because I like the zone so much.  Riki raids are fun though (hint: target thru pets, yours or someone else's).

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I like the Nemesis event for the spectacle of it all.  The same goes for the Rikti Invasion event.

But @Greycat pointed out the Steel Canyon fires and it got me to thinking about them and the Troll Rave.  I like those events very much, in large part because they grant practically zero experience unless you are actually in the level range.  They grant badges but that's about it so there isn't a mass of players LFG or LFL for it, usually maybe only 1 or two at the most if that.  Yet I find them fulfilling, especially the fires.  Oh my Chief Williams gave me an improved firefighting pack.  Sweet.

Oh I like experience and enjoy most of the zone events but there is something about saving a kind of slummy building from burning to the ground.  Stupid Hellions.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Back in I think Issue 2 or 3 there was a Ralaruu invasion event in Atlas Park I enjoyed. It was when I first came into CoH, what a "welcome to the city" experience. Then there was the Seed of Hamdion in all zones. The devs had an April Fools invasion where all the GMs attacked the city.  Now it is the Ritki and the NPC or glitch invasion a while ago.  

Sadly none.  The problem is that I am almost never the appropriate level so they don't matter.

I wish this game was like Guild Wars 2 where it autolevels you to be appropriate for the area you are in.  So if you went to Skyway for Troll Rave you wouldn't be level 29 but level 15 or whatever is appropriate for it.

The way CoX works anything outside of door missions and GMs are basically to be ignored.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, gamingglen said:

Troll rave in Skyway. 

Me have body by Superadine.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

The monster war in croatoa would be great with a few fixes.  The waves of monsters have too long of a time gap between them and they are lvl 30something instead of leveless.  And it doesnt reset the event timer if a single event mob is still alive at the end (which happens alot since the Grim Vale is stacked in favor of Cabal/Fir Bolg and a mob or 3 will run away at low hp and never return.  It makes an otherwise great event that culminates with 2 giant monsters duking it out into a much more lackluster event that people have actually said 'its not meant for players'.

• Like 1

Im saying its too easy not too hard.  I kill all the spawns and wait forever for the next wave.  I brought a team and they thought the event was broken with the eternity between waves.  And if 1 mob on the last wave runs off,  the event never restarts.  The cabal witches are the main offender since they fly away and park under a cliff or over a hill.  Its less of a problem when players are present but when the event runs on its own,  a few cabal or fir bolg are almost guaranteed to survive somewhere and prevent the event starting again.

A repeated reminder about certain zone events: It is necessary to defeat the event spawns or the next event will not have a chance of spawning (until the zone resets, usually during a server reset... but enough players can force a new instance of the zone). In the case of the Croatoa zone, until you see the global "Monster Activity has returned to normal levels" message, there is still at least one spawned mob(ile) that needs to be defeated. Brickstown has the burn-down list near the zig (or in the police station).

The no-level clocks in Kings Row are more painful, as they will chase players (such as ones that end up at the hospital) and so will end up far from their typical routes used from spawn-points to the High Park gathering zone.  Use /optionset showvillainname 1 to spot the even-level mobs.

I have also observed what I think is an event-lock that will prevent Jurassik from spawning in Crey's Folly: If the Rubble (or grand-Rubble) that come from defeating Jurassik are not destroyed, I think Jurassik will not respawn. This is based on a long weekend of no Jurassik spawns, so I spent time scouring the zone... after defeating some lonely grand-Rubbles, Jurassik respawned the next hour. Those spawns will con at zone-level (grey for 50s), so are not easy to find. As near as I can tell, Jurassik and the Kraken have a chance to spawn based on Player entries into the respective zone. Hazard zones aren't that popular (although enough different contacts send players to Perez Park and Crey's Folly to make them well-visited) such that I commonly get the "____ has appeared in..." message right after I zone in to one of them (on a GM hunt, usually).

Red-side, things are generally better, with the most annoying GM being Caleb. I typically buy a SG perception boost to try to find that guy (who may be spawned and no one knows!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tidge said:

The no-level clocks in Kings Row

As an addendum, there can be level-less clockwork that spawn at the construction sites between events, that aren't related to the cycle of the Paladin event. I did quite a lot of testing when they reverted back to the construction event, and the only NPC I know for sure that needs to be defeated for the event to reset is Paladin. I am not sure if the level-less entourage needs to be completely defeated. They likely do, but when I was testing (which mostly involved dragging Paladin from High Park to the AE building so he could be zapped), I never made it a point to kill all the level-less entourage and I never had any problems with the event resetting.

4 hours ago, tidge said:

Jurassik and the Kraken have a chance to spawn based on Player entries into the respective zone

I spend a decent amount of time on Brainstorm, and almost every single time I zone into Crey's Folly or Perez Park, the GM spawns. My personal theory (for which I have little evidence) is that the zone was offline prior to my entering. Sometime while the zone was offline, the GM spawn timer triggered but since the zone was offline, the spawn didn't occur and was just queued up. Then when I popped in and the zone woke up, the spawn was finally able to occur.

My favorite events are the Steel Canyon fires, the Paladin construction event, and the early stages of the Rikti invasion. I love finding and defeating the bombs (and trying to avoid being zapped by the drop ships), but when the Rikti start spawning in en masse, it gets boring to me.

• Thumbs Up 2