Good News. New Players. Bad news. Teams suck.

Snarky

Joined a MoDD run by Oklahoman on my new 50 Stalker.  50+1, so a little dicey.  But the issue was the league.  Oklahoman restarted after the league could not follow directions and kill the correct 4 heroes.  Then....they barely scratched MoT.  got him to 75% and then all the melee stood around him as he regen.  And they, again, would not follow Oklahomans instructions.  Bonus, somebody kept dropping Ice Patch.  useless against MoT but great for obscuring his white regen marker.

Then I joined a MoEden on my AR Blaster.  only 6, but whatever.  Then the people stopped to harvest Ambrosia.  For a looooong time.  I guess they deleted all their greens to make room.  Because a couple stayed at 25% health for 15 secs or so in the first attack on the AV.  Not even trying to heal.  Then.... Yeah, we all know how this story ends.

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1

I've yet to play on a strike force (defines as "any PUG thingy over 8 people") where everyone did follow directions.  Every CoP for example is always a learning experience for someone, or sometimes even worse.  And let's not get into DfB's "only target the boss here ok?"

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I have seen DD failed in a number of amusing ways back in the days of live. Whatsherface at the end actually gains resists if too many people die, so she can become literally impossible to kill.

It's one of the few things I appreciate about itrials - the fact that they all have fail conditions (running out of time, if nothing else) and are not afraid to allow players to fail.

7 minutes ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Play on the Zerg shard, deal with Zerg players.

Try Everlasting, Snarky.

Non-zerg-shard players don't listen either, they just ignore you slowly.

The idea that if you go to a certain place you get better players is a myth as long as that place is open to pubbies. To get better player quality, you have to be selective of who joins. This means something like a friends list or private channel populated by players you personally vet or a community with requirements for joining (and even then, you may expect that any public metric for measuring player quality will be immediately gamed).

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Snarky said:

Joined a MoDD run by Oklahoman on my new 50 Stalker.  50+1, so a little dicey.  But the issue was the league.  Oklahoman restarted after the league could not follow directions and kill the correct 4 heroes.  Then....they barely scratched MoT.  got him to 75% and then all the melee stood around him as he regen.  And they, again, would not follow Oklahomans instructions.  Bonus, somebody kept dropping Ice Patch.  useless against MoT but great for obscuring his white regen marker.

Then I joined a MoEden on my AR Blaster.  only 6, but whatever.  Then the people stopped to harvest Ambrosia.  For a looooong time.  I guess they deleted all their greens to make room.  Because a couple stayed at 25% health for 15 secs or so in the first attack on the AV.  Not even trying to heal.  Then.... Yeah, we all know how this story ends.

I find the best solution to this type of problem is to log into the forums and complain about it.  Do that and I'm sure it will go better next time.  

• Thumbs Up 8

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Yeah, that particular MoDD was a crapfest, @Snarky. I ran another later that evening with zero issues. It's always a dice roll with what I do.

As they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. People choose to read and follow chat, or they don't. Normally, I wouldn't have tried it a second time with that same group unless I had messed up by not getting instructions out in time, or something like that. When the group chooses not to follow directions, I normally won't rerun it. I went against my routine and got the consequences.

Also had a failed Strong and Pretty run late last night because people weren't reading and following chat. I did NOT rerun that one, and ran an MSR instead. I've kind of had to come to terms with the fact that people choosing not to read or follow chat is a hardwired feature of PUGs. I just hope we have some fun along the way, and bonus points if we're successful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, ZemX said:

More of a Wind Assault, I should think.

Point. With some power interaction, a Wind Assault/Storm Summoning Corruptor could be devastating. Particularly with a mechanic like igniting Oil Slick applied to Gas Cloud...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, TheZag said:

Snarky should spend a week on everlasting.  Even if its only to get some wonderful new content to post about on the forum.

Yes . . .  I could log on and hide my global name and vex him by getting on his team and doing everything wrong . . .

• Haha 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

Yeah, that particular MoDD was a crapfest, @Snarky. I ran another later that evening with zero issues. It's always a dice roll with what I do.

As they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. People choose to read and follow chat, or they don't. Normally, I wouldn't have tried it a second time with that same group unless I had messed up by not getting instructions out in time, or something like that. When the group chooses not to follow directions, I normally won't rerun it. I went against my routine and got the consequences.

Also had a failed Strong and Pretty run late last night because people weren't reading and following chat. I did NOT rerun that one, and ran an MSR instead. I've kind of had to come to terms with the fact that people choosing not to read or follow chat is a hardwired feature of PUGs. I just hope we have some fun along the way, and bonus points if we're successful.

You do miracles with PUGs.  I got on one of your MoMagi and was so confused.  I geared up to do it the way I knew.  You had this long slow plan that was like nails on a chalkboard to me.  Wwwhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?   Then....it worked.  And I saw how trying to get a PUG League to do it the way I knew would....not have worked lol,  

But yeah, that League sucked.  I only brought a 50+1 (my new Stalker) but is now a 50+3.  I look forward to being on some of your future leagues.

I was also on your MSR later.  I tried to tell people not to KB targets up the bowl.  (Stalker...grrr)   I checked the league and I think there was one Brute / Tank.  Who may or may not have been pulling.  Sooo.... I took my Stalker Butt over the rim, turned off hide, and started pied pipering the aliens.  Worked like a charm.  No deaths.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Play on the Zerg shard, deal with Zerg players.

Try Everlasting, Snarky.

We love Vampires (sometimes literally, sorry in advance).

Pretty sure he started on Everlasting.  Complained about something and left.  

Guardian survivor

I like reading posts about "combine the shards so there will be more players," and then reading these posts about the goings-on on the more-player shards.  

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

16 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

And let's not get into DfB's "only target the boss here ok?"

To be fair, they didn't notice the drum bomb, and the resulting explosion startled them and ruined their aim.

(that's not bad.  I'll use that next time.)

6 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

As they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. People choose to read and follow chat, or they don't.

Honestly, my personal view after watching you and other leads struggle to herd the cats is that the devs should give the Trial leaders a special whistle only available to the one recruiting or running the event.  I suggest something in the range of a coastal fog horn.  Then add it a large, centered message window, again only controlled by the lead, that can be triggered simultaneously with the whistle to provide the audio and visual needed to get everyone's attention.  Annoying yes, but if the player has the sound off and ignores the message, then they can't claim that they were distracted and not reading the chats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2