What are you currently playing?

Baron Boom

I discovered that my 41 rad/savage tank was actually 50 and untrained the other night, so I totally nerded out making a build for him. What a tribute to tanker AOE radius buffs, holy moly. 

He is Vishnu-X, an alien convert to the hindu faith, with no hands and no feet, bioengineered for destruction. Nice enough guy, though. 

• Haha 1

This week is “Scrapper Week.” (To generate focus, I’m trying out only playing a specific AT each week. Promotes respecs I’ve been putting off and - hopefully - a deeper understanding of the various ATs. The latter is debatable) I have a long-standing (and arbitrary, unfair) distaste towards scrappers in favor of brutes. But after this week, along with a proper placement of the ATO, I’m cooling on that bullshit.

So, been playing my first scrapper on homecoming , a psi/shield/mu beast. Also my mid-level stone/dark/soul. Got that one up to pick a PPP finally. And rolled a new martial arts/Fire armor to run through Gold Side. This last one was in homage to the first scrapper I ever made on Live…one which was quickly abandoned somewhere in Kings Row because I couldn’t stand blue side missions and ambience. Red side best side, etc…

The main lesson I’ve learned from this process: a fortuitous macro can change a character from meh to badass. Adding a target location macro for shield charge completely sped up the feel and gave me that feeling of scrapper-lock I’d been chasing since Homecoming came back online. Hallelujah!

Next week is “Corruptor Week” so all this will change at the stroke of midnight EST Sunday (the week prior was “Blaster Week”). But for this week, I love all three of my scrappers as if they are the second coming.

Edited by Nyghtmaire
Deets
  • Like 3

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

1 hour ago, Nyghtmaire said:

This week is “Scrapper Week.” (To generate focus, I’m trying out only playing a specific AT each week. Promotes respecs I’ve been putting off and - hopefully - a deeper understanding of the various ATs. The latter is debatable) I have a long-standing (and arbitrary, unfair) distaste towards scrappers in favor of brutes. But after this week, along with a proper placement of the ATO, I’m cooling on that bullshit.

So, been playing my first scrapper on homecoming , a psi/shield/mu beast. Also my mid-level stone/dark/soul. Got that one up to pick a PPP finally. And rolled a new martial arts/Fire armor to run through Gold Side. This last one was in homage to the first scrapper I ever made on Live…one which was quickly abandoned somewhere in Kings Row because I couldn’t stand blue side missions and ambience. Red side best side, etc…

The main lesson I’ve learned from this process: a fortuitous macro can change a character from meh to badass. Adding a target location macro for shield charge completely sped up the feel and gave me that feeling of scrapper-lock I’d been chasing since Homecoming came back online. Hallelujah!

Next week is “Corruptor Week” so all this will change at the stroke of midnight EST Sunday (the week prior was “Blaster Week”). But for this week, I love all three of my scrappers as if they are the second coming.

@InvaderStych and I both rock a Psi/Shield Scrapper. That combo is just the rule of cool 😎

I couldn't come up with a new interesting AT powerset combo so I'm taking a break for Diablo 4 currently (despite my whirlwind barb already being nerfed). I'm hoping the break gives me some newfound or inspiration to come up with a new toon that I haven't ran before.

• Like 1

Electric/Fire Tanker. Apart from toxic damage I am pretty survivable even at level 1 given how high the values the shields give to resistance. I stumbled upon this combination because I wanted to make a proc tank, but I am also obsessed with being as survivable as possible, electric armor caps my resistances with ease, freeing almost all the slots and powers up for attacks and utility. The recharge, end reduction, and mild regeneration all support this goal very well. I basically am the wall I come to expect from tankers but with a vicious bite. Fire Melee on a tanker is surprisingly effective at both AOE and single target and my attack chain covers all of my proccing needs. This is a character and build that just works for general content and I enjoy playing it.

• Thumbs Up 2

<Witch> of Everlasting

<Mythical Creature> of Excelsior
Global Name: @Mythical Creature
"Monsters are real and they look like people." - Unknown

1 hour ago, Mythical Creature said:

Electric/Fire Tanker. Apart from toxic damage I am pretty survivable even at level 1 given how high the values the shields give to resistance. I stumbled upon this combination because I wanted to make a proc tank, but I am also obsessed with being as survivable as possible, electric armor caps my resistances with ease, freeing almost all the slots and powers up for attacks and utility. The recharge, end reduction, and mild regeneration all support this goal very well. I basically am the wall I come to expect from tankers but with a vicious bite. Fire Melee on a tanker is surprisingly effective at both AOE and single target and my attack chain covers all of my proccing needs. This is a character and build that just works for general content and I enjoy playing it.

I love your thought process behind this build. I’m running something similar: Elec/Dark Melee. Gives up some of the damage and proc potential you have with Fiery. It does pick up a heal and some more end recovery, so it feels like it can go non stop.

Also, Elec Armor makes leveling a breeze. Only lv. 40 right now, but the ride has been very smooth. Honestly surprised I don’t see more of either of these combos!

• Thumbs Up 1

A Stone/Bio Scrapper with procced out AoEs (including Energy Torrent). So. Much. Fun!

Level 48 so far, and besides the procs he's frankenslotted with mostly yellow IO's, but already feels incredibly powerful. Not a character I'll be taking on another Synapse, I was on a great team last night and felt kinda bad about the knockback from Fault.

Next project will probably be an Electric/Axe Tanker, for exactly the reasons @Mythical Creature and @StriderIV mentioned. Hardcapping most resistances except Toxic and Neg, with lots of procs and 100% slow resistance, should work pretty well. 

• Like 2

I've put it off long enough and I've started two defenders to see which I like better:

• Traps/Fire
  • Poison/Fire

They're both pretty sturdy in the mid 20s.  I suspect poison will be better with teams due to most moving pretty fast these days and the traps being more solo.  That said I still play both like a melee ranged AT and get right in there.  I know fire is the bees knees on Corruptors, but I prefer the higher debuff/buff values on defenders.

Bouncing between my War Mace/Shield Brute (Helen Black) and Storm Blast/Dark Sentinel (Little Black Cloud), though I'm probably going to dust off the Rad/Dark Tanker ( MintySaurus) that needs a respec later this week.

... I had to stop and think about "playing" vs "happens to be the sets on the characters I'm RPing most heavily." Lessee...

- BS/WP Brute

- Staff/WP brute. At 50, and I've got another Staff/WP 50 that's a scrapper. Despite being *very* identical, I play the brute more. Something more enjoyable about it.

- Ill/Storm Controller

- For MSRs, if I'm not running someone else, a Pain/Dark Defender.

- Alternately, a Grav/Elec Dom. With +1 from Alpha and Ultimate inspirations, Fold Space and Wormhole have Rikti getting teleported into the bowl from everywhere.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I was sort of playing a Mace/(something) scrapper, who was fine, but then I got side-tracked writing an MA arc, and now caught up in doing another.  I don't have lots of time per week to play, so the scrapper's sort of fallen to the side.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

illusion/martial. shows tremendous potential as melee combatant support! desperately in need of enh, mid 30s.

necro/kin mm, its like cheating. 45ish.

newly 50 shield/stone tanker.

psi/psi blaster, 30some-odd.

i cant make myself farm these days. generally exhausted of it.

I have a hard time sticking with Blasters because they don't scale up into higher difficulties as well as Tanks, but I finally found a great combo in Sonic/Energy. The AoE Sleep and lots of Stuns makes it very safe, but if things go south just nuke everyone.

After some 120-125 level 50’s, I’m definitely growing bored of widespread altoholism. Mainly just log into these lately:

Beam/Time/Fire Blaster

Cold/Psy/Psy Defender

Nature/Ice/Soul Defender

Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster

Poison/Dark/Psy Defender

Storm/Time/Fire Blaster

Last year I decided to spend a month on one of my alts.

Get them as far as I can incarnates and badges.

Currently on Darklight Wendy - from a universe where there is no Pan ... no Shadow ... there is a Wendy. Started redside.

@Snarky you got some dark brute experience.....

Screenshot 2023-06-13 120813.png

Screenshot 2023-06-13 121511.png

/e poofgone

4 hours ago, JasperStone said:

Last year I decided to spend a month on one of my alts.

Get them as far as I can incarnates and badges.

Currently on Darklight Wendy - from a universe where there is no Pan ... no Shadow ... there is a Wendy. Started redside.

@Snarky you got some dark brute experience.....

Screenshot 2023-06-13 120813.png

Screenshot 2023-06-13 121511.png

I build Dark Armor to emphasize what it does.  RESIST...it is NOT Futile.  Your "faux" Defense comes from to hit debuffs, Fear Aura, Stun Aura, and unsuppressing Stealth.  Frak chasing Defense that goes away when someone pokes at it.  Lost Cause.  RESISTANCE!!!

• 4 weeks later

My current project for the last few months has been my "D&D adventurers in Paragon" characters.

I've been going through all the D&D classes (all the 'main' classes and a few alternate ones, though avoiding some of the really niche ones) to make them into CoH characters.

So far the ones I've gotten to 50 and incarnated out are:

Fighter (shield/axe tanker)

Artificer (bot/ff mastermind)

Bard (symphony/kinetic troller)

Barbarian (stone melee/willpower brute, the 'juggernaut' subclass, basically a living siege weapon)

Cleric (elec/elec defender, follower of the god of storms, hence all the lightning)

Druid (necro/nature mastermind, she's a 'circle of spores' druid, so her 'undead' are made out of fungus -- if we could customize, I'd use DE mushroom guys)

Paladin (katana/rad armor tanker)

Rogue (claw/ninjitsu scrapper)

Warlock (cold/dark brute)

Shaman (seismic/stone armor sentinel)

Still working on the monk, ranger, wizard, sorcerer, alchemist, and psion. Might add a couple from pathfinder, as well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I haven't made an Ice Armor Tank in awhile, so I've been rolling an Ice/EM the past few days. Ice/ Tanks are always a ton of fun, and can be made very sturdy even despite not having much DDR. I couldn't fit Hibernate in the build, but I still hold true that it is one of the most slept on powers in the game. What other armor set gets an invincible reset button?

I've been slow levelling for now. I wish Energy Melee was more fun at low levels, but I've still been entertained. Definitely gonna make it to 50 with this one!

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

• 1 month later

I dinged 50 on a electric/time controller and a storm/kinetics corrupter today.  Tanked a km itf with the controller, that was intense and a lot of fun.  Don't know what incarnates I'm going to choose other than the intuition for Alpha.  The corrupter is and was harder, I don't multitask well so doing damage and support takes some effort.  Thought I had it figured out somewhat when I heard that you can't have multiple storm cells out, I'm hoping this isn't true as this would give me a huge problem.

Thinking I need to get back to my ice/ice blaster, but the lack of itrails on everlasting makes it hard.  I have a couple other 50s and a baby brute that i'm working on..

Main is Inv/Stj tanker.  He got the Task Force Commander Accolade and I'm not sure what to do next. I'm finishing the quests in Night Ward, even though it's poor xp/minute. Level 39. 

Whole slew of alts. Might make a separate post about them.