Most new players don't use inspirations

Diantane

I've hosted teams on arcs for years. When I play a support character, I don't need any inspiration except for break frees and rez's. So I try to give the others to the DPS players. It can rarely get delivered. I get the message that they are full. Had spoken with several players about this and I'm mostly told the same thing. They never use or even buy an inspiration. The only time they need one is when they die and need a rez. If none is in there, they either combined them or bum a rez or one to combine from he team members. If the entire team wipes, we go to the hospital. When I'm at the nurse buying replacements, the other team members run past her.

Seems that most new players get the double XP from the P2W gal so they don't even buy enhancements (just add the slots for when and if they reach 50 🙂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I use inspirations a lot.  But they can be annoying to manage, and I can see that as an issue for new players. Unless you think ahead and organize them, your insp tray tends to be a mess, and the time it takes to look it over, pick an insp, and use it is better spent getting out of trouble some other way. Or even die and let someone else rez you.  In my case, I keep them organized and so I can reflex-tap a function key to get the kind of inspiration I need. 

I also have dual and team insp drops enabled via P2 and use the filters to only receive the inspiration kinds my character will need, and while an experienced player can put those to good use, they further complicate life for new players. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I cannot speak for others but I have played since live and I have never, ever bought an inspiration.  Also there are some I simply burn if I cannot sell, orange, small rez, small acc, even at lowbie levels.  Defense, Mez, larger rez, rarely damage or acc (situational) but they do get used.  The P2W decline small is awesome.

Edited by High_Beam
  • Like 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

For myself, I have started to make myself constantly keep, at a minimum, one inspiration slot open.  If you think about it, the ability to use Inspirations is one of the best powers your character gets.  It gives healing to those without a self heal, break holds and similar effects, restore endurance, greatly increase damage, accuracy, resistance and defense.   

• Like 2

I rarely buy inspirations.  Usually it's when I've screwed up enough and need to buy some extra purples to get past a more difficult than expected mission, and usually that's when I'm solo.

Often while playing, I'll be converting groups of three into red for more DPS unless it's a build that needs something else.  Early builds, usually blue...  If I'm popping a bunch of greens, I've miscalculated something.  However, I'm often full up on inspirations, they do drop enough that it's rarely an issue.  Most often I use some for a buff before a big combat.

Most people use inspirations in emergencies.  They are about to run out of endurance or health.  They got mezzed.  They got defeated.  Etc.  As such they pile up and people forget they even have an insp tray until something goes wrong.  I'm sure it's more optimal to keep converting and at least chewing reds like farmers do.  But it's extra work.  And farmers are in a controlled environment where they aren't worried about surprises.  Missions team players should keep an array of different insps to use in different situations.

As for gifting inspirations, I only do this when I see someone using them a lot.  Good example is a team with a low-level Tanker or Brute getting a lot of the aggro and struggling with it.  Pass them Luck or Sturdy, depending on what Primary armor set they are playing.  Or you're playing someone with great endurance, recovery, and drain resistance... and you're in a Freaks mission.  You can see everyone's endurance bars in the team window.  Look who is having trouble and hand over blues.  They are probably eating them like candy and should have open tray spots.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been in the game since early 2005, and I've just started taking a polar opposite approach.  With most of my characters now 50 and earning a decent living, I'm buying inspirations...from the AH.  Specifically Team Large inspirations.  I didn't previously know about those who didn't use them, but now those suckers are going to be inspired whether they like it or not.

Edited by Techwright
Grammar correction
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I didn't know previously about those who didn't use them, but now those suckers are going to be inspired whether they like it or not.

That's just team buffing... with money. 🤪

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

For me it depends on what AT I am playing and what I am doing. 

On a Tanker? Gobble everything like candy.

On my Crabber? I tend to like to save things like breakout and blues for emergency END.

On my Mastermind? I tend to use reds on pets. (For those unaware, you can drag and drop inspirations on pets. If you are close enough to them the pet will "use" it.)

9 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Those who naturally can...do.  Those who can't...buy team inspirations. 😛

That would be me, at least on my main. I usually run with 8 team heals, 8 team reds, then 4 super rezzes, just in case. Pretty much all of my characters have RoTP and Return to Battle, so I often pass the rezzes to others unless things really go south.

I don't use very many inspirations at all, normally.

• Thumbs Up 2

I get all caught up in watching the health bar, trying to figure what power to click or that I can click or what might work, etc. that I sometimes just ain't got the brain-bone to also handle considering my Insps.  I am good at combining them into wakies though.

Real answer too: often I tend to aim for one type, like "this guy has End issues, convert them all to blue," or "I need mess resistance, go for Break-Frees" etc.  That whole "these are important, I need to save them!" mentality has led to many a death for many a player.  Of course when I go on a bender and burn through them, they stop dropping...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I suck down inspirations whether I need ‘em or not. Like to keep them dropping so I’ll eat an orange to make room, red and/or yellow when attacking a spawn, purple if it looks hairy before I jump, and green and/or blue when running to the next group. Sometimes I eat ‘em all just because. I’m a glutton for candy. A big, fat leaf on the wind.

image.jpeg.6895ac76d62c5148cbf99f7073a0c251.jpeg

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I sometime use them and sometimes don't. 

I usually disable small inspirations at level 30 and I organize my inspirations as follows:

Column 1 (F1): Large Health

Column 2 (F2): Large End

Column 3 (F3): Mix (EoE during Hami Raids)

Column 4 (F4): Large Damage

Column 5 (F5): 1 Large Rez, 1 Large Mez, 2 Large Defense

If I think about it I will just hit F3 and use the inspirations in column 3 as they fill (especially during TFs), but solo I will often not bother unless I am playing at a higher difficulty.

• Like 1

It's really dependent on which character but I rather dislike dying with a full tray or because I've messed up, all too often on a support character who forgot to create a breakfree.  For my main (Claws/SR/Body) I almost never craft purple, blues or green anymore outside of incarnate level content and foes. While she most definitely favors yellow or red.  Interestingly i am most likely to want the yellows at the extremes either low level exemplar (Posi 1 at the door of City Hall.  Hello Spectral Demons) or during an ITF (when the Cimerorans clump up heavily and I start seeing more "deflected" than orange numbers floating off them with Spin or Shockwave).  Most of the rest of my characters are support, at least among the level 30+ crowd and so are much more work in progress yet and use them either preemptively or mid fight.

When i started the game I had a huge issue with hoarding inspirations and even buff up powers.  Not wanting to “waste” them. I still sort of do

I have a whole inspiration dance routine.  I keep an AH macro button to open Auction between missions, where I top off.  In mission, if it is easy , i burn one or two to open inspiration slots.  There are badges for rejecting inspirations.  You need an open slot to get credit.  If the mission is tough i calculate the map size and burn one or two for tougher situations.  If my inspiration tray goes empty i either got WAY out in front of myself or the leader/team sucked.  Someone made a shit call

One of my favorite Blasters is AR.  No need to save/calculate buff up.  If out of combat for a few seconds your first shot hits harder.  You can practice this rhythm in all but the toughest non stop fights.  If you reposition you almost always get the buff.  Rather than clean up the last couple minions reposition and Full Auto the part of the room the other half of the team is working with +dam 1st strike

• Like 1

This thread is inspiring!

I've always kind of used insps as a "rainy day of last resort" thing - sometimes it catches me out but I find that these days, even on relatively squishy characters, so long as I don't bite off more than I can metaphorically chew, their use is less necessary than on live. I guess that's the result of the endless power-creep we experience since before the release of Going Rogue

Edited by Scarlet Shocker
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

16 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

This thread is inspiring!

I've always kind of used insps as a "rainy day of last resort" thing - sometimes it catches me out but I find that these days, even on relatively squishy characters, so long as I don't bite off more than I can metaphorically chew, their use is less necessary than on live. I guess that's the result of the endless power-creep we experience since before the release of Going Rogue

That is why on smooth builds 33-50% of my insp are reds.  Just farming at that point

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1

I naturally tend to hoard inspirations (and consumables like healing potions in other games) for when I "really need them" -- it's a habit I have to actively tell myself to change in COH since they drop so often. When I'm thinking about it, I'm sucking down an insp any time my tray is full just because the tray is full... but I'm usually not thinking about it.

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

Maybe they closed their inspiration tray while in Outbreak and haven't been bothered by the red text since then. A new player might not even need inspirations now that the game is so much easier than when it first came out. Set bonuses, uniques, temporary powers, proliferated powersets for team buffs, the list probably goes on - and what's the big deal if a player is defeated when they're playing these days? Debt? Ha! Visit to the hospital? Base instead? Or better yet, go to the hospital and just use a mission teleport, or if the player is really broke, take the shoe lace express and use their massively buffed travel power speed to get there in a fraction of the time. Maybe I solo too much these days, but so what if a player is defeated. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I tend to make break free and DEF inspirations.  I try to use them regularly.  I used to rarely use them.  Now when my tray is full I just use some for the next fight even if I don't need to.

And before the final Posi 1 mission I buy inspirations in Oro before heading in.  And again after each team wipe when heading back in to face the ambushes.

I try never to use Inspiration, I'll sell them all between mish and see it as a "fail" if I use them, But will use them as I'm human and there their. is there some way to turn them off?