How do YOU control your character?

Mir2

WASD movement, top number keys for power tray 1, F# keys for power tray 2, numpad for convenience macros (targeting, base entry, etc...)

Mouse for turning, non-hard targeting & activating powers that are on my other trays.

• Like 1

I'm positively ancient as far as modern gamers go, so I use a really archaic control scheme that predates WASD:

Arrow keys with my left hand for movement, some camera and targeting controls bound to the home key block immediately above, CTRL to jump. I use the mouse in my right hand to manually target and/or click the powers in the tray. Combat in CoX is slow enough that I can get away with that, otherwise in games that require faster power execution I rebind the number row to the number pad in those games.

Edited by OverkillEngine

wasd.

1-5 primary attack chain / ST, ordered for quickest cd up.

alt+1-5 aoe, alt+1 assassin strike on stalkers. 

alt+numbet keys become heals in rarer conditions, where alt+1 is pbaoe, and alt+5 would be rez, with else in between, except if dark where alt+4 is howling twilight, as comfort, and used as attack/stun. same with defribulate.  if aoe damage is banished from alt, it goes to shift, as defender does not have a melee chain of note.

ctrl1-5 cc aoe non-damaging.

i re-bind and placables with a target macro, atfer placement, so i still see cd. e.g.

/bind ctrl+1 powexec_location target tar patch.

^ when character is new or not have stuff, this is always, nemesis staff, blackwand, sands of mu for ctrl+1-3.

shift+1-5 - melee chain on non melee AT, vice versa.

` / shift+` / and so on: placement and combat travel. 

/bind powexec_location target combat teleport, 

taunt, fold space would be a ctrl+` as its less comfy to press by mistake.

shift+q, shift+e, shift+z - 

/bind shift+q powexec_location me:5 phantasm

^ these are useful for mm pet resummon on the fly.  i will typically rebind same on alt to allow me to mess up with same affect.

t/g/c/v - self buffs like build up (v), sencond build up or armor press (e.g. overload) shift+v

t/g, shields for allies, speed boost.  g favors status removal skill, such as increase density or (yes, you should have it) O2 boost.

its always patterened like that, and doing it this way, for me, lets me not have to think about muscle memory, by and large.

spacer.png

-- honoroit, skipper of cutscenes, errant noble and expert cartographer

20 hours ago, Mir2 said:

I have been reviewing other players’ binds and macros, and have come to the conclusion that most people must control their characters differently than I do. 

I use;

Left hand;

• asdw to move

Right Hand;

• numpad 0-9 for tray 1

Left pinky, Right hand;

. Lshift numpad 0-9 for tray 2

• Lctrl numpad 0-9 for tray 3

• Various mousse combinations for TP / pet-summoning, etc. 

(MM use the “Sandolphan” binds)(apologies if the credit is to the wrong person)

That has been how I played since the game came out.  I can change, if I have to, I guess. 

How do most other people control their toons?

This is my set up

Works for my Heats and Veats as well

Can work for MM. You just drag the controls for each group and each individual minion to tray()s of choice .... but it is a lot of trays 😛

/e poofgone

20 hours ago, Snarky said:

I have the TV wall mounted now, but this is my setup.  The Razer Tarterus left hand is the key.  movent by thumbtoggle with paddle thumb jump.  20 dedicated power buttons, basically two trays.

image.thumb.jpeg.1f7e13c85ed030b310dea32c11247d6b.jpeg

this is eerily similar to my setup although my color scheme is slightly darker

• Like 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

2 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Razer Tartarus and Naga Chroma. A billion buttons at my finger tips. And I'm still crap 🤣

i could never get the chroma down. too many buttons and combat is so fast.  i use a two side button now.  it would be nice to have two more buttons there, but...12?  my thumb is not that smart lol

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

For melee characters, I press Tab to target, then F to follow, then I roll my face across the number keys.

For ranged characters, I just press Tab and then roll my face across the number keys.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Haha 1

What, me worry?

18 hours ago, Snarky said:

i could never get the chroma down. too many buttons and combat is so fast.  i use a two side button now.  it would be nice to have two more buttons there, but...12?  my thumb is not that smart lol

In a nutshell I use Tartaerus for all the powers on Tray 1 and the Naga for all the powers on Tray 3 (Tray 2 has all the powers I want to use but don't need a superfast click)

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

WASD, space bar for jumping, maybe the mouse for flying direction; have been known to use F to follow a melee opponent, on occasion.  I don't have the time nor inclination to set up multiple other buttons and then try and remember which control what on which toons six months later.  Simple, gets the job done.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Movement I don't like WASD, there's a lot of real estate for your pinky gone to waste when you bind your move keys so close to the left side of the keyboard.
R "+forward"
E "+left"
T "+right"
F "+backward"
SPACE "+up"
ADD "++autorun"
X "powexecname sprint"

Targeting
A "target_enemy_near"
Y "target_enemy_next"
I click on the team window to target teammates. If it's an buff like speed boost or bubbles I can buff directly via targetting an enemy that the teammate is fighting.

Powers

Tray 3 is most of my active clicks, this is where I put most of my attacks/bread and butter powers
G "powexectray 1 3"
SHIFT+G "powexectray 2 3"
H "powexectray 3 3"
SHIFT+H "powexectray 4 3"
J "powexectray 5 3"
Q "powexectray 6 3"
S "powexectray 7 3"
W "powexectray 8 3"
B "powexectray 9 3"
U "powexectray 10 3"

Tray 2 are for buffs such as build up or heals or long recharge powers such as nukes

Z "powexectray 1 2" usually aim
D "powexectray 2 2" usually build up of a self heal
SHIFT+Y "powexectray 4 2" usually my nuke
SHIFT+U "powexectray 5 2" usually my incarnate nuke
N "powexectray 7 2" set for whatever I occasionally use

The default tray is where my travel powers/incarnate/team buffs like shields sit. Slot 9 is reserved for my travel power/jetpack.
0 "powexec_slot 10"
1 "powexec_slot 1"
2 "powexec_slot 2"
3 "powexec_slot 3"
4 "powexec_slot 4"
5 "powexec_slot 5"
6 "powexec_slot 6"
7 "powexec_slot 7"
8 "powexec_slot 8"
TAB "powexec_slot 9"

Misc
\ "popmenu start" I built a pop menu to load my default settings

Inspirations I normaly just click on the inspirations myself
F1 "inspexec_slot 1"
F2 "inspexec_slot 2"
F3 "inspexec_slot 3"
F4 "inspexec_slot 4"
F5 "inspexec_slot 5"

Mastermind binds - I find the numberpad binds overly complex and not necessary for 99% of content. I tend to focus fire and control all my pets at once, so the tiering is not useful to me.
G "powexectray 1 3$$petcomall attack"
V "petcomall dismiss"
X "powexecname sprint$$petcomall follow defensive"
J "petcomall goto"

I do use a set of rotating binds for buffing mm henchmen that lets me use one key to apply both buffs.

I also use rotating binds for my kheldians but the core control binds don't deviate from my default binds listed above.

Edited by Nemu
  • Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

On 8/6/2023 at 2:52 AM, Akisan said:

WASD movement, top number keys for power tray 1, F# keys for power tray 2, numpad for convenience macros (targeting, base entry, etc...)

Mouse for turning, non-hard targeting & activating powers that are on my other trays.

Hello, are you me?

I'm actually surprised to hear someone else uses this exact layout!

• Like 1

I play on a laptop, so:

WASD movement

Top Numbers: 1-5 for frequently used powers

C, V, B, F, G, T and Tilde end up as powexec_name binds (F and G are always Flight and Hover if that character has them; V is always a Build Up power if available)

shift+lbutton / shift+rbutton if I've got some ground patch powers 

My goal is to attach everything I use regularly to my left hand, so my right hand is free for mouse-y things like Insps, targeting a specific enemy/teammate, etc.

Edited by Panache

On 8/6/2023 at 2:07 AM, OverkillEngine said:

I'm positively ancient as far as modern gamers go, so I use a really archaic control scheme that predates WASD:

Arrow keys with my left hand for movement, some camera and targeting controls bound to the home key block immediately above, CTRL to jump. I use the mouse in my right hand to manually target and/or click the powers in the tray. Combat in CoX is slow enough that I can get away with that, otherwise in games that require faster power execution I rebind the number row to the number pad in those games.

I use this exact setup, arrow keys for movement, then mouse for targetting/power selection. Even on my MM. I think I rebound shift to jump though, instead of CTRL.

My right hand never leaves my mouse (except to type in chat).  I use the mouse to steer my character and the left hand to move.  My left hand also activates most powers.  I put the important powers in the lower numbered slots (1-6) in the power trays (trays 1-3) so I can easily reach them with the left hand.  Infrequent powers, like stuff with a long recharge go in the right slots on the power trays and I activate them with the mouse.

Powers that are REALLY infrequent, like toggles and incarnate powers go in power trays 4 or 5 off to the side and are activated with the mouse.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

11 hours ago, nihilii said:

Hello, are you me?

I'm actually surprised to hear someone else uses this exact layout!

Maybe... 

I don't suppose, by chance, you also split your powers into those trays by:

Attacks vs. controls (blasters/doms [or ranged vs. melee]), support vs. attacks (def/corr), and ST vs. AOE (melee ATs)?

(And yeah, it's interesting to see someone else using the exact same binds - did you also set the F keys to alt_tray so they keep working when tray swapping?)

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 12:33 PM, Mir2 said:

How do most other people control their toons?

I can't speak to how "most" other people control their toons other than to say "mouse and keyboard".

Though I do use a mouse and keyboard, I mainly control my characters with ...

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I'm pretty sure I'm a unique player in this way because I never got into the first person shooter, mouse aim technique, so I've been doing something like this for decades on multple games.

Right hand does all movement.   Numeric Keypad 8 forward, 2 back, 4 and 6 rotate left and right.  7 and 1 move the camera up and down (or aim up/down when flying).  Numpad 5 is autofollow my target.   Numpad Enter is target nearest.  Numpad + is cycle my target forward.  There's some other targeting macros also available to my right hand, but probably unique to my keyboard.

Left hand... 1-0 is tray 1, Q-P is tray 2.   Tray 3 has all my toggles... I can click them with ctrl + 1-0. 

(attack chain is usually a combination of 2-5... with 1 being an AoE and 6 and 7 being slow charging nukes/attacks, etc)

Space bar is jump.

Function Keys are insperations and some keybinds.  

My mouse is just for clicking on the screen when I need to.  I frequently play on a laptop with a touchpad and no mouse, so this setup is meant to be able to manage that requirement.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow