Lazy Toons

smnolimits43

I find that i tend to play, what i call Lazy Toons.  I make alot of toons.  But you are probably wondering, what is a lazy toon ??  Masterminds i feel meet the criteria.  You point your pets in a direction, and let them do all the work.  I consider that Lazy.  Of course it also depends on their secondary.  Today i made a Robot/FF toon.  Only got to lvl 9.  Might try playing him again tomorrow.  I find certain defenders/corruptors/trollers also meet the criteria.  I should have said this would be a rant.  I'm curious what you think would be a Lazy Toon ??

• Like 3

Kind of funny you mention that.

On live, I made a bots/FF. Why? Theme. Yeah, it could be untouchable, too, but - especially after the change of buffs to be AOE - it was *boring.* To the point it nearly turned me off masterminds entirely.

But it does very much depend on the secondary. I went to the forum and said, basically, "I can't stand playing this. I feel like an observer, not a participant. Is this just masterminds, or is there something that would work better?" Wound up with a Thugs/Poison that I absolutely loved playing. Hell of a trip to 50.  Some people like them, some (like me) just ... no.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I find masterminds to require me to be more stressfully engaged managing the pets, which is why I avoid them. I feel like certain blasters I play are “lazier.” I’d rate tanks just behind that. Certain builds you can wade in, draw fire, and just sit there, waiting for your melting AoEs (if you have them). Of course, that may be the point, now that I think about it.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

For masterminds in particular, it depends heavily on the sets. A bot/ff will feel a lot safer than, say, thug/ta. 

Some setups can be incredibly busy, constantly having to manage pets, keep them focused, rein them in when they start getting a bit too aggressive, healing them (even more so if your secondary doesn't have an aoe heal in it), etc.

I have a beast/TA mastermind that I really enjoy playing. She's very hectic and busy, since the pets don't have a lot of defense, and TA provides no real mitigation for them. So it's very much a "kill or be killed" hyper-aggressive playstyle, especially on +4/8. On the other hand, my bot/FF is a "tank" who walks slowly through missions murdering everything in her path. And others that are various flavors in between.

Edited by WumpusRat
  • Like 1

I dislike having to rush from one foe to the next on melee toons, so I made stalker with four different combat TPs, three of which also do damage.  That was pretty lazy.  I love it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I have one corr that is /Traps. I set up 3 toe bombs and a smoke bomb and caltrops, then fold space. Is that lazy, not generally. I only play that way when soloing. Teams would never wait for that. There are quite often a few slivers of health to clean up with energy blasts after the bombing.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

7 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

I find that i tend to play, what i call Lazy Toons.  I make alot of toons.  But you are probably wondering, what is a lazy toon ??  Masterminds i feel meet the criteria.  You point your pets in a direction, and let them do all the work.  I consider that Lazy.  Of course it also depends on their secondary.  Today i made a Robot/FF toon.  Only got to lvl 9.  Might try playing him again tomorrow.  I find certain defenders/corruptors/trollers also meet the criteria.  I should have said this would be a rant.  I'm curious what you think would be a Lazy Toon ??

that is how you rant?  i can provide lessons.  

• Haha 3

My main is Illusion / Storm Troller.

• Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

6 hours ago, A Cat said:

For me, sentinels were the laziest, but I haven't played since the update to them. You have mez protection and armor, don't have to manage team aggro, and you don't even have to move next to enemies to attack. 

Bingo. The trifecta of lazy is:

1. Easy

2. Safe

3. "Jobless"*

(*)In other words, either nobody expects you to do a "job" or nobody can really tell when you're NOT doing it.  Stalker and Sent both fit this perfectly.  What is the Stalker doing?  Nobody knows!  Can't even see the bugger half the time but we figure they must be hitting stuff, right?  And the Sent looks like a Blaster except they don't spend as much time inspecting the floor tiles.

Scrappers might be close but are maybe slightly more expected to at least do some off-tanking or even tanking-tanking if there's no one beefier around.

MMs can be lazy, depending on primary and secondary. Some MM setups are also quite active.

But another "lazy" AT can be the brute or tanker. If you build durable enough with softcapped defense and resists, you can just put a PBAOE on auto and go do laundry. Again, not all are that way obviously. It depends on the build.

5 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I dislike having to rush from one foe to the next on melee toons, so I made stalker with four different combat TPs, three of which also do damage.  That was pretty lazy.  I love it.

Is this and Electric / Shield Scrapper?  

• Like 1

Currently playing as:

Daughter of Crom | War Mace | Energy Aura | Scrapper 👊

Special Circumstance | Assault Rifle | Devices | Blaster 💣

/ Excelsior

43 minutes ago, ZeroSaint said:

Savage or Electric for melee set paired with Shield for armor would give you two combat teleport attacks.  Plus Spring Attack from Leaping Pool would make three tele attacks.  Fourth non-attack would be Combat TP itself, I suppose.

Edited by ZemX

16 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

Whenever I was grouped with Illusion controllers, I considered them lazy. Then I played one - what a bore it was to keep summoning over and over. It's a shame, it looks so cool on the tin. Then the Mastermind came along!

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

"Lazy toons" for me will always be Tankers. It could just be because that's where I feel most at home, but it's nice being able to focus on the flow of combat without having to eye my HP constantly.

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

10 hours ago, ZeroSaint said:

Savage Melee/Shield.  I've thought to make an Elec, but then it would feel too similar and I'd probably wander away bored as I don't farm.  If I farmed I think I'd have one of everything by now and no longer play.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

9 hours ago, Owl Girl said:

controllers are sort of a blind-spot in my CoH experience, because every time i play one it seems like it's almost a waste of endurance to bother attacking anything. just lock 'em down and wait for my two effective powers to cd.

One day you will get a pet - and that will do mild damage while you sit there respamming controls.

Fun! (or so I'm told)

• Haha 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

23 hours ago, Owl Girl said:

controllers are sort of a blind-spot in my CoH experience, because every time i play one it seems like it's almost a waste of endurance to bother attacking anything. just lock 'em down and wait for my two effective powers to cd.

Depends on the controller, really. I have a bunch that I enjoy playing.

The standouts are:

Illusion/Radiation is basically "summon phantom army, debuff, murder". Not really cut out to deal with huge groups of enemies at a time, but against small groups/AVs/GMs, she's vicious. It was my first "kill GMs solo" build back on live. Her claim to fame was killing Lusca by herself. Took about an hour. 🙂 

Symphony/Kinetic is the Bard from my D&D adventurers group. Drop sleep cone, jump in, fulcrum shift, jump back out, cone, cone, cone, cone, everything's dead but a couple stragglers.

Earth/Radiation is the Wizard from my D&D group. Open with tossing Rocky into the middle of the enemy group with spirit ward on him, toss down debuffs and aoes, profit.

Edited by WumpusRat
  • Like 2