Back after a year or two... help me get to grips with Fold Space, best travel powers and the best new set combos please!

Tux

As the title suggests...

Quick bit about me; I enjoy end-game content and speed TFs/trials mainly. Minimal interest in PVP. 

1. Fold Space - what is it exactly - how do I best use it, seems to be the most effective thing these days? Seen a few people using and it and had a little read around; looks almost vital for speed TFs!

2. Is Teleport the best travel power now? I always been an SS/CJ guy...

Feel like I'm going to need some new macros 😄 

3. Best new power sets / ATs / combos?

Best ones when I left... Fire/Cold Corr, Cold Defenders, Fire/Fire Blasters, En/Fire Scrapper - variations on these themes 

Looks like Assault Rifle might actually be alright now? And Storm/Seismic Blast look cool!

Thanks in advance 🙂 

fold space pulls enemies from around you to your location, bunching them up nicely. helps to contain situations where things are scattered around, i love it on my kin

i’m not sure people use TP as much, it’s still a slightly clunky travel power. i take combat TP, teleport target and fold space

• Like 1

I use Combat Teleport, Teleport, Teleport Target, and Fold Space on most of my newer alts. 

With the right binds/macros, they're awesome.

Fold Space sets up a group for a strong Fulcrum Shift on  a kin.

Fold Space also aggros everything it hit. Great for a wider-range taunt for a tank. 

Fold Space Undoes knockback from other powers/players.

Fold Space piles mobs into your team's concentrated AoE fires/patches/etc for rapid mass defeating.

Fold Space requires some accuracy and plenty of recharge.  It can have trouble pulling level-advantaged bosses/EBs.

Fold Space also sometimes lines the mobs up instead of bunching them in a tight pack, but they will be close together and fit in a single ground patch.

Combat Teleport I bind to a "Go To" key, in my case 'G'.

/bind G powexeclocation target Combat Teleport

I select a target and tap 'G' and I'm instantly there. Or if someone moves my target, or if I need to aid a teammate, I'm there.

Regular teleport I bind to left-control and left-mouse button, to shift-G, and to the letter U:

/bind lctrl+lbutton powexecname Teleport

/bind U powexeclocation up:max Teleport

/bind shift+G powexeclocation target Teleport

The first is great for travel. Left-Control-Left-click anywhere I want to go, and I'll go that way. Teleport recharges fast and now has a long hang-in-the-air time.

It's good for travel except when buildings get in the way. That's where the U key comes in. Tap that, and you'll instantly teleport straight up so you can see where you want to go without the buildings being in the way.

Then, sometimes in missions, my Go-To G-key Combat Teleport won't go far enough. So I use Shift-G to go further. This is excellent for catching up to my team. I select a team member, tap shift-G, and I'll zip to them. Sometimes it's still too far, or occasionally the map geometry will refuse to let me teleport, but most of the time it's very useful.

For Teleport Target, I bind it to another key. I use O, but like the rest of these, you could use anything. 

/bind O powexeclocation self Teleport Target

This has several uses; first, it will bring a teammate to me with one tap of a key after I select them.  Second, it will bring a mob to me, unless they've a level/rank advantage. But in that case, if it hits them it will aggro them and a few of their neighbors. It's a long range sniper-style taunt.  Third, I use it to reposition teammate's pets for them; like a grav controllers' (or my own) Singularity. Pop that down into the center of a pile of mobs and it will pull them together and keep them there if they're converted the knockback to knockdown. Which most everyone has. ^_^

You'll note my binds make liberal use of the powexec_location slash command. It's existed for a long time on Homecoming, but many people are still unaware of its power. Here's a link to the HC wiki entry FYI. https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Powexec_location_(Slash_Command)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fold Space is a favorite for tankers or anyone else who wants to make every attack all about me on a team (solo is different and fine, obvs.). 

I'm not so much a fan, as someone who's often trying to drop an AoE or something, so I would kindly ask if you do take it on a toon, that you announce at least once at the beginning of the map "hey, FYI I will be using Fold Space ok?" 

Some people have told me this is highly unfair to expect of a Folder, but I hold out hope for humanity that a modicum of consideration might prevail in this trail of tears we call City of Heroes.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, Tux said:

3. Best new power sets / ATs / combos?

Best ones when I left... Fire/Cold Corr, Cold Defenders, Fire/Fire Blasters, En/Fire Scrapper - variations on these themes 

Looks like Assault Rifle might actually be alright now? And Storm/Seismic Blast look cool!

Thanks in advance 🙂 

Best is subjective, but I don't think I would put FA for a Scrapper anywhere near the list of best as Res based sets are lesser on a Scrapper, and FA really having no counters for debuffs. Battle Axe did get reworked and is very much one of the more used sets right now. Pair it with a Def based set and you'll be good to go. I went with a BA/stone Brute. Storm has gotten rather middling reviews. Symphony control is solid. It's a bit on the Dom feeling of a set but more geared towards Controllers if that makes since. Sound effects for it aren't great. While yes, Cold for Defenders is great, Time is right there as well. I have a Time/rad.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Fold Space is admittedly handy against very spread out spawns.  More common in Praetorian maps like the underground or laboratory.  But it's a heavy investment and has a pretty long recharge.  Unless you have ridiculously high recharge, it won't be a power you can use every spawn.  Maybe every other or every third depending how fast the team is moving.  The very benefit it provides can speed up clearing a spawn by bunching them together for more efficient AoEs but at the same time mean that it won't be ready for the next spawn or even the next one after that.

Teleport is the fastest travel power in the game but yeah, clunky to use.  I am also more of a fan of CJ/SJ.  Just love soaring through the air and playing the mini-game of "where do I land without touching ground/street-level"?   But.. Teleport is pretty nice now with the built-in temp hover and end reduction for chained use.   

Still, I've tried Combat Teleport for combat movement and... I don't like it.  It's simply not as easy to use as CJ.  With CJ I can hop in any direction with movement controls.  With CT, I have to target something or point-click to precisely move.  If a target is up on a ledge, I can't just hop to it.  A "tp to target" keybind would sometimes not put me on the ledge with them but falling back down to the ground, having come up short of the ledge.

On my Tankers, I've instead started taking just Teleport.  I can still use it indoors to leap across a big room or through a doorway clogged with NPCs/teammates.  Or I can use it when grounded by fly/jump debuffs to get where I need to go to tank.  Still take CJ though for combat movement.  Downside is I'm opening three travel pools when you count Hasten.  But.. tradeoffs.  

• Like 1

• Game Master

I don't find teleport clunky to use. I bind it on a key then just hit key, click mouse. I can bop across IP really fast.

As for fold space, it's situational. I have the warshade version and got shouted at by the tank for using it. For context warshades work better the more enemies they have surrounding them. When he realised it was me he forgave me as I was outperforming every other character in the team and steam rolling over the top of all the mobs, but I still went ahead of the team so I didn't disturb his nice mob collecting.

And best AT and power set is the one you enjoy playing. AR and some mastermind sets have had upgrades and work a lot better than before. I'm personally not  fan of the new power sets but there's nothing wrong with them, just not my beverage of choice. Mercs in particular got some love and are pretty great now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, GM Crumpet said:

I don't find teleport clunky to use. I bind it on a key then just hit key, click mouse. I can bop across IP really fast.

As for fold space, it's situational. I have the warshade version and got shouted at by the tank for using it. For context warshades work better the more enemies they have surrounding them. When he realised it was me he forgave me as I was outperforming every other character in the team and steam rolling over the top of all the mobs, but I still went ahead of the team so I didn't disturb his nice mob collecting.

And best AT and power set is the one you enjoy playing. AR and some mastermind sets have had upgrades and work a lot better than before. I'm personally not  fan of the new power sets but there's nothing wrong with them, just not my beverage of choice. Mercs in particular got some love and are pretty great now.

Join one of my teams, I want to yell at you too!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tux said:

As the title suggests...

Quick bit about me; I enjoy end-game content and speed TFs/trials mainly. Minimal interest in PVP. 

1. Fold Space - what is it exactly - how do I best use it, seems to be the most effective thing these days? Seen a few people using and it and had a little read around; looks almost vital for speed TFs!

2. Is Teleport the best travel power now? I always been an SS/CJ guy...

Feel like I'm going to need some new macros 😄 

I am not a fan of Fold Space. I see it as a niche power. I don't like it on my builds, nor do I appreciate teammates who use it. For the former point... it's easier to build such that ANY character can teleport in an out of enemies. Common options I use include Combat Teleport and/or Speed of Sound... each with appropriate macro/mousebind support.

For the latter complaint: Moving (some of) the mobs in a spawn does mess up location powers... not just controls but also AoE attacks. The cooldown (and choice of targets) of a teammates' Fold Space is also completely unpredictable, which makes for clumsy team play, YMMV.  My hot take: In almost every circumstance where Fold Space might be a good choice, I think some other power pick would probably have been just as good in that circumstance, as well as being a more useful power in other circumstances. I already mentioned self-teleports (for aggro, offense or PBAoE shenanigans) but since Fold Space requires a ToHit check, why not pick a pool attack like Wall of Force instead?

Teleport is usually the power pick that gets the least amount of forum love. It's my least favorite travel option... I do love Combat Teleport!

Homecoming has plenty of options for travel powers: There are the classic four (Flight, Leaping, Speed, Teleport), three mutually exclusive Specialized pools (Sorcery, Experimentation, Force of Will), P2W powers, not to mention that Infiltration (Concealment pool) can be a respectable "running" travel power thanks to slotting options and travel speed bonuses from Enhancement sets.

• Like 1

It's a very effective power, and is now a major part of making the game even lazier -- er, em, that is, more "convenient" -- to play and succeed.:-)

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

If the player is just spamming Fold Space, it can make quite a mess, which is probably responsible for some of the sour attitudes about it. They're justified in that sense. But if you are aware of where you are, where your teammates are, where the mobs are, and have a tactical sense of the situation, it can be awesome, or even a game changer.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Andreah said:

If the player is just spamming Fold Space, it can make quite a mess, which is probably responsible for some of the sour attitudes about it. They're justified in that sense. But if you are aware of where you are, where your teammates are, where the mobs are, and have a tactical sense of the situation, it can be awesome, or even a game changer.

I think "sour attitude" is a good descriptor. In some ways it Fold Space similar to how folks view Knockback. In Solo play, nobody really cares. In team play, everyone else has to adapt to it. I can imagine when Fold Space might make sense to use, but it's the required ToHit check (and RNG) on top of the long Recharge time that contribute to my own attitude of it as a sub-optimal power.

I've played with plenty of Tankers/Brutes that would on 8-player teams (eventually, randomly) get around to casting Fold Space yet would not Taunt. One of these powers has a base 2 minute recharge and requires a ToHit check for possible 16 targets; the other has a base 10 second recharge and is an auto-hit of 5 targets... of course the -Range debuff in Taunt doesn't actually position enemies but neither does a missed enemy with Fold Space.

I'm guessing that Fold Space doesn't work on bosses above a certain level?

On 9/19/2023 at 9:28 AM, arcane said:

Fold Space is great. Don’t listen to the folks that want you to slow your roll on Fold Space. If you ain’t first, you’re last.

As I said, it is indeed a great power to use when you're gaming by yourself, or of the narcissistic disposition that you wish to make yourself and your desires the focal point of a team that was so unfortunate as to invite you.  Heaven forbid that you slow down your roll, but maybe once in a blue moon, consider others' roll...

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

5 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

As I said, it is indeed a great power to use when you're gaming by yourself, or of the narcissistic disposition that you wish to make yourself and your desires the focal point of a team that was so unfortunate as to invite you.  Heaven forbid that you slow down your roll, but maybe once in a blue moon, consider others' roll...

Or just know how to use the power correctly and team with good players. But sure, I’m sure you can diagnose narcissism from an AoE teleport 🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, arcane said:

Or just know how to use the power correctly and team with good players. But sure, I’m sure you can diagnose narcissism from an AoE teleport 🙄

Narcissism is self evident when groups of foes keep getting snatched away from the front of a team back to the same player over and over, sure.  Pretty easy to spot.  And I do team with better people I leave teams and edit a note for myself on them.

I bet you too are fun on teams...

Go have fun!

5 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Narcissism is self evident when groups of foes keep getting snatched away from the front of a team back to the same player over and over, sure.  Pretty easy to spot.  And I do team with better people I leave teams and edit a note for myself on them.

I bet you too are fun on teams...

No one I team with has ever complained about Fold Space, which I take on every character, so I guess that makes me fun, sure.

I often find Fold Space users to be annoying as they snatch targets out of my AOEs unless I'm perfectly in sync with them. I don't bother to complain as I don't wish to sound whiny. Being polite on my part doesn't make what they are doing helpful. Given that it can't be used every spawn due to high recharge, it is hard to sync up.. It certainly can be used well, but I don't really know that it's worth it. It definitely requires a team focused on following the tank/brute who uses it, and is slow enough that it's up comparatively often. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's one -

If you're going to run on MSRs? Take fold space. Not *as* useful leveling up, but once you've got an Incarnate level - and can blow money or threads on Ultimates - then, in the bowl, you'll pull *everything.* About the only thing you won't pull to yourself will be U'kon. Hover above (or take advantage of someone with group fly *waves to the masterminds*) and just keep dropping enemies en masse into the meat grinder.

... Yes, even bosses.

If you're *not* pulling things? Move a bit towards one of the edges.

Enjoy the vmerits.

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I'm kinda new to using Fold Space myself got a new tank that i'm trying to make it a focal point.  I announce to teams that I'll be using it.

I'd like to give some love to Sentinels, recent buffs have made it much better.  AR/Rad is much fun to play.

I use a variety of travel powers, but at the end of the day I come back to fly.  No it ain't the fastest, but for ease of use there is nothing better. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the comments, macros and advice. Fold Space sounds like it will be great for speed TFs so I'll be trialling it on some toons!

I'll be over on Excelsior so looking forward to teaming if you're on there 😄

• Like 1